Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS
Profile for doctornewyork > Reviews

Browse

doctornewyork's Profile

Customer Reviews: 71

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

doctornewyork RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Dark Circles Under Eye Treatment. Anti-Aging, Anti-Wrinkle, Skin Whitening, Puffy Eyes Serum Illumizone (0.5 fl oz) By Omiera Labs
Offered by OmieraLabs
Price: $115.00
3 used & new from $49.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work. Don't waste your money., January 20, 2016
I bought this to get rid of under-eye dark circles. I applied it liberally on multiple occasions and it did absolutely nothing for me.

And in agreement with other reviewers' statements, the pump is awful. You have to press it down like 1/5 of the way to avoid getting a massive squirt. This product is basically just a money stealer. They know people with dark circles will do anything to get rid of them. They see us coming from miles away.

3M Peltor X-Series Over-the-Head Earmuffs, NRR 31 dB, One Size Fits Most, Black X5A (Pack of 1)
Price: $25.43
22 used & new from $18.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible noise reduction. Could not be happier., August 20, 2015
Can confirm that these truly do cut out sound astronomically. I have the Mack earbuds which work well and I put these headphones on over them and can hear absolutely zero. And alone, the noise reduction is superior with the Peltor than with the Mack earbuds, despite Mack claiming 32db reduction. It's very apparent that the Peltor block out way more sound.

MKSAP 16: Medical Knowledge Self-Assessment Program (ACP, MKSAP Print Version Parts A&B Pkg)
by American College of Physicians
Price: $519.00
75 used & new from $99.90

3.0 out of 5 stars So much TEXT my ADD is overwhelmed I'm sorry. If you want a literary novel, this is for you. The Johns Hopkins IM book is better, July 15, 2015
I'm a fourth-year med student and bought the 11-book collection after finishing the Johns Hopkins IM Board Review. I've already finished through USMLE 2CK and wanted stuff beyond the USMLEs.

All I have to say is: there is SO MUCH TEXT TEXT TEXT in these books it drives me nuts. I'm annoyed I bought these because they were so expensive. If you want to read novels, then these books are for you. There are pages and pages that are NOTHING BUT TEXT. The Johns Hopkins book is a 1000x better because it has bullet points and bolding, i.e., it cuts to the chase about what is important. I had heard these books were really good (i.e., I went with the 5-star reviews on Amazone here), but I have to be completely honest that a lot of this stuff is so ADD-inducing I want to cry. Either the people who rate these books 5 stars are the types who got a 15 verbal MCAT and love reading or I've just missed the boat entirely in that I didn't realize these were supposed to be long-winded. I really hate to be negative, because these books are very well-written, but I have zero interest in reading literary novels.

The pro to buying these is the questions at the end of the books, which are good. And the explanations are satisfactory. But not worth what I paid. I wish I went onto the Mayo IM book instead, as I'd be curious to see how it stands up to the JH one.

Apple iPhone 6 128GB 4G LTE Factory Unlocked GSM Smartphone - Space Gray no warranty
Offered by Magic Mobile Partners
Price: $689.00
21 used & new from $558.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Great phone. But annoying that the battery life is just one day., July 12, 2015
Great phone. Only complaint I have is that I had it charged 100% midday yesterday and the same time today it's running really low. With all of the technology out there today, is it really that difficult to make a battery that lasts longer than a single day? This review is not to be a comparison to other devices; i.e., I'm not saying I have any other device in mind that has a better battery life, but with regard to this product in isolation, you have to consciously think about having your charger on you if you'll be spending the night somewhere. Always hoping to rely on someone else's cord isn't practical.

But yeah, you won't be unhappy with this phone otherwise. Great device.

Blueprints Orthopedics (Blueprints Pockets)
Blueprints Orthopedics (Blueprints Pockets)
by Grant Cooper MD
Price: $48.99
43 used & new from $25.91

5.0 out of 5 stars A+++++ if you're a med student on an ortho term. Way better than both ortho Case Files books., June 19, 2015
I'm a final-year med student (post USMLE 2CK) on an orthopedics rotation. I've used this Blueprints book, as well as the Case Files books for both Orthopedic Surgery and Physical Therapy Orthopedics. Out of these three books, Blueprints wins HANDS-DOWN.

In just ~150 pages, it hits pretty much all you need to know as a med student regarding special tests and important MSK diagnoses. My ortho was terrible before starting this book. I read the whole thing in ~4-5 hours total and found I had pulled ahead of the other students in my ortho group. In turn I recommended they buy this book. I had read this text first and then secondarily decided to look into Case Files.

Case Files Ortho Surg was way too highly detailed for the med school level. It's an excellent book in terms of content, diagnosis and radiology, but it's better off for the ortho resident. If you're a med student, you'll find yourself needing to ignore the vast majority of the detail. I thought Case Files PT Ortho would have been "softer" and better for clinical exam / special tests, but this was even worse; if you are a med student, avoid the latter, but Ortho Surg COULD be used if you want an adjunct to Blueprints.

Bottom line is Blueprints is EXCELLENT IF YOU'RE A MED STUDENT. This is better than both Ortho Case Files books.

Physical Therapy Case Files: Orthopaedics
Physical Therapy Case Files: Orthopaedics
by Jason Brumitt
Price: $36.02
38 used & new from $15.57

2.0 out of 5 stars Yes, the title says Physical Therapy, but if you are a MED STUDENT wanting something for ortho, this book is NOT it., June 19, 2015
This might be a little unfair as the book clearly states PHYSICAL THERAPY on the front cover, but if you are a medical student, this book is NOT WHAT YOU WANT. I'm on an orthopedics rotation as a final-year med student (post-USMLE 2CK), and I had first picked up a copy of Case Files Orthopaedic Surgery from my school's library, but it was too heavily detailed. I saw the reviews for this book on Amazon and had the impression it would be a lot "softer" content-wise (i.e., more focused on clinical exam / special tests), but my impression is that this book somehow misses the mark in just about every way.

1) Unlike the other Case Files books, this one lists the diagnosis on the vignette page, so it kills any aspect of problem-solving. Now maybe the typical PT doesn't need that diagnostic approach, but I just wanted to point that out.

2) Any mention of special tests is VERY VERY cursory (i.e., they might give one line as to how a particular test is performed, but that's it!). I was really hoping to get a lot out of this book in terms of clinical exam and more details about special tests and how they're performed, but there's really nothing like that in this book.

3) There are very few images and I have never seen such ongoing, circumlocutory and superfluous chapters in any Case Files book before. I'm not even kidding when I say that there are many pages that are JUST TEXT. Seriously. Imagine picking up any literary novel and it's nothing but text - no headings, no bold font - just text.

I noticed the chapters are heavily cited. That is, there are sometimes 75 references for each chapter, which I don't doubt increases the validity of the text and makes it acceptable for the PT, but if you are a med student, avoid this text at all cost. If my school had merely had a copy of this book in the library for me to take a peek at beforehand, I would have known within 20 seconds that this wasn't a great text, but unfortunately I wasted money.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 5, 2015 3:34 AM PDT

Case Files Orthopaedic Surgery (LANGE Case Files)
Case Files Orthopaedic Surgery (LANGE Case Files)
by Andrew Rosenbaum
Price: $50.19
35 used & new from $15.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Best for the ortho resident, NOT for the USMLE or med student level, June 19, 2015
It's tough to rate this book because it really depends on what your needs are. I'm a final-year med student on an orthopedics rotation. What I can say outright is that this book is WAY TOO DETAILED FOR THE MED SCHOOL LEVEL. I had 260s on USMLE Steps 1 and 2CK, and I have always obsessed over detail, but this book is just too beyond med school. It goes into a lot of detail about surgical technique and radiographic approach to diagnosis, and whilst extremely well-written and excellent content-wise, is better suited to the resident. Basically you'll find yourself ignoring a lot of the technical detail because it's nothing you would ever need to know for your med school course or the USMLE.

This book is 5 stars if you are (or are going to be) an orthopedics resident. As I just said above, the structure of the book and the quality of the content, objectively and irrespective of my needs, are impressive. This book is very well-written.

If you are preparing for the USMLE though, it's a waste of time and is ~1 star.

If you are a final-year med student simply wanting a good book for your ortho rotation, this is ~3 stars. I recommend BluePrints Ortho over this book.

So if you are still in medical school or are preparing for USMLE 2CK, do not buy this book.

So overall I feel 4 stars is appropriate.

Blueprints Ophthalmology (Blueprints Pockets)
Blueprints Ophthalmology (Blueprints Pockets)
by Thomas E. Bournias
19 used & new from $29.74

5.0 out of 5 stars I blasted through this book in ~3 hours and it was well worth it., June 10, 2015
Before reading this book, my only background in ophthal, apart from the USMLEs, was my school's slides and the online,10-chapter Ophtho book (which I highly recommend!).

I wanted something to read that covered conditions AT THE BASIC MED SCHOOL LEVEL, and this book really cut to the chase.

So many ophthal books are too elaborate/detailed for a quick ophthal term.

It's ~180ish pages of actual text as far as I can recall. I was able to skim read the whole thing in ~3 hours. I breezed over the intro anatomy components and then focused on the HY concepts like arterial/venous occlusions, dry/wet AMD, non-prof/prof-diabetic retinopathy, cataracts, glaucoma, HTN, and others. I also did the 25 questions in the back and skimmed the terms in the glossary.

Bottom line is that I'm a med student on a quick ophthal term and wanted something non-elaborate and QUICK to accompany my med school's slides. I recommend this book 100% to blast through. I also recommend the free online 10-chapter opthal book.

Yale-G's Refined Clinical Review for the USMLE Step 2&3 (3rd edition)
Yale-G's Refined Clinical Review for the USMLE Step 2&3 (3rd edition)
by Yale Gong MD
3 used & new from $25.00

1.0 out of 5 stars I recommend MTB2/3 over this book., May 7, 2015
I bought this book for Step 3 prep and it proved to be worthless because of the inordinate number of errors it contains. I cannot stress enough that people prepping for Step 2CK overlook the fact that this book has tons of errors and doesn't align whatsoever with UpToDate. I wasted money on this book and I want people to know it. I recommend MTB2/3 over this book without a question. Although I would not recommend FA for 2CK (even though it was the Bible for Step 1). And just for the record, I scored in the 260s on Steps1 and 2CK.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 28, 2015 6:44 AM PDT

Mack's Snore BLOCKERS Soft Foam Ear Plugs, 12 Pair
Mack's Snore BLOCKERS Soft Foam Ear Plugs, 12 Pair
Offered by Rock Ridge Sales, Inc
Price: $6.47
5 used & new from $4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy Mack's Ultra over these. I own both and the Snore blockers are disappointing, April 29, 2015
I had originally bought Mack's Ultra earplugs and those are WAY BETTER than these. It's strange because both the Snore blockers and the Ultra say there's a 32-dB reduction, but that's simply impossible that both reduce by that much because the Snore blockers are slightly smaller and have holes in them (as though you could attach a cord to connect them if you wanted, but it's clear that somehow attenuates the noise redution). So bottom line is the Ultra ones are the ones to buy. Don't buy the Snore blockers, which aren't nearly as good.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8