Profile for Alex > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Alex RSS Feed

Nintendo 3DS Screen Protective Filter
Nintendo 3DS Screen Protective Filter
Offered by Digitalville
Price: $8.69
10 used & new from $4.02

4.0 out of 5 stars Very straight forward and simple., April 13, 2013
I have very little patience for the screen protector products. This is mostly due to the amount of perfectionist work that usually has to be done to get it looking decent.

I think this is the simplest screen protector installation I've ever run into. Even though the included instruction manual can be a bit daunting and cluttered because of all the different languages packed into the limited space, the actual screen protectors have fairly clear instructions on how to proceed. Getting rid of bubbles was fairly easy and the screen protectors do not noticeable detract from my screen viewing experience.

Admittedly, I did not get a perfect installation with this product; I have a couple dust particles trapped under the upper screen protector (not anywhere under the actual upper screen, though). But, that's more of my issue. I really think with half an amount of care and patience, this screen protector can be installed flawlessly.

Even with my own impatience, I was able to get a result I was satisfied with. I would think someone who wouldn't mind putting a bit more time and care would get an even better result. I like what I was able to get out of this product so much that I plan to buy the 3DS XL version by Hori when I invest in a 3DS XL in the coming months.

Filco Majestouch-2, NKR, Click Action, USA Keyboard | FKBN104MC/EB2
Filco Majestouch-2, NKR, Click Action, USA Keyboard | FKBN104MC/EB2
Offered by RackGo
Price: $137.50
5 used & new from $137.50

5.0 out of 5 stars A different experience., December 20, 2012
I already have previous experience with mechanical keyboards. In particular, I own a Filco Majestouch (the predecessor to this keyboard) with Cherry MX brown switches. So I had a pretty good idea what I would be getting with this Majestouch-2 with Cherry MX blues; at least, I had expectations of what I would get.

My particular reason for choosing the Cherry MX blue version was to become familiar with the hype around the blue switch. Around the internet, they're known to be the typist's switch and create for a pleasurable typing experience. Coming from Cherry MX brown's, I can say with time, that I agree with the sentiment.

The blue switches have a noticeable click that the brown switches do not have which aids in more feedback of a confirmed key press. While the clicking may not be pleasing to anyone in the vicinity, for the person typing, I think they add to the perceived feel. I've also noticed that the blue switches feel like they need more force to depress than the brown switches. Aside from that, I find the blue switch feel to be very similar to the brown switch: non-linear, a "bump" about 2mm depressed. If I were to put it shortly to someone who's had previous experience with brown switches: blue's are essentially browns with a click. It'll be up to the end user whether they want the noisier experience that blue switches entail.

In terms of build quality, Filco is being Filco. The keyboard is solid and has a nice matte finish. The keycaps seem to have a slight textured feel. It has no frills or designs that make it stand out. It's plain, but it all works.

There are some points to knit-pick at when needing to convey the product to another individual. There are no macro or media keys, some keys make a "ping" noise when allowed to depress all the way, and the lettering on the keycaps has a yellowish tinge that is noticeably less white than the keys of my used Majestouch from almost two years ago.

One may take issue with this keyboard's price knowing that it does not come with any additional features. While I cannot disagree with this argument, my previous experience with Filco just made me want to come back again. Surely, you can get a mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX blue switches for a cheaper price, but the type of build quality and trusted brand reputation that I feel Filco is building for itself comes with a price. And I, along with many other users are willing to go for it.

The pinging issue I mentioned is not exclusive to Filco or any other manufacturer of mechanical keyboards. I do not know the reason why some keys can ping or why some do not. I think it has to do with the keycap hitting the metal plate in between the caps and the PCB, but I'm not totally sure. It's just the nature of the beast.

I do not know if the yellowish tinge on the keycap letters is normal or if it just a "bad" batch, but it is probably the first difference I noticed when comparing it to my old Filco. Had I not been looking to change the keycaps out in the future, this may have been a problem for me. Again, just something to think about. It may have been a bad batch for letter printing or whatnot, but it's noticeable.

This Filco Majestouch-2 is a luxury expense as a similar keyboard with more features can be bought with a bit less money. But I can't shy away from my happy previous experience and Filco delivered again with this keyboard in terms of typing feel and build quality. Going with Filco is going with quality. It's up to the consumer what kind of typing experience he or she wants with their switch choice. I would recommend this keyboard to anyone looking to buy a mechanical keyboard because at the end of the day I will know that it does it's job well and looks to last a very long time.

Qinpu Q-2 Hybrid Integrated Amplifier
Qinpu Q-2 Hybrid Integrated Amplifier
Offered by Audio Advisor, Inc.
Price: $99.00
3 used & new from $84.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite alright, February 9, 2012
Let me preface this review by stating that I am not an audiophile. So that means a lot of what I will be talking about here will not have any fancy buzzwords because that's not what I think about when listening to music. I will just be thinking about what sounds good or bad from a laymen's point of view.

The Qinpu Q-2 was brought to my attention after searching for "entry-level" amplifiers. A user at Head-Fi writing a review recommended the product since it delivered good sound at a good price.

The set-up I am temporarily running at the moment is the stock audio on a Gigabyte P55-USB3 motherboard with the volume out set to 75% and inputted into the Qinpu Q-2's line-in jack. The headphones I am driving are Sony MDR-XB1000s. But I also tried out my Sony Marqii, Sony MDR-V-6, Sony MDR XB700s, and SkullCandy Aviators.

What I noticed straight away while using this amp is how much more alive my music sounds when driven through this amplifier. The left and right channels seem to separate much more clean, and differing frequencies are able to find a place in the left and right earcups of all the headphones I've tried.

My musical taste, while spanning many East Asian countries (Japan, Philippines, South Korea, China, etc.) including the U.S., mainly settles around R&B and rap. I feel like having this amp really made the bass thumps, snare snaps, and vocals shine very well. I also have a few several alternative rock tracks that I've run through the amplifier and think that they equally sound exquisite. For the music that I want to run through the amp and how it drives my headphones, I am totally satisfied with what I have bought in terms of audio quality.

However, there are a couple of things about this amp that I am none too pleased about.

Firstly, I wasn't pleased with the packaging of the amp. It's not so much Amazon (or whoever I bought it from), but whoever actually handles packing the unit into its box. A foam shroud covered the amp with two cell-foams flanking it. That's fine, but after I removed the shroud, I saw that the tube was out of its socket and leaning left considerably. I imagine this could have been damaged with a really negligent service carrier. But it ended up working in the end, and maybe my experience was a fluke.

Secondly, I have gripes with the build quality. When you look at the amp superficially with a passing glance, it looks fine. But if you take the time to look at it a bit, there are little things that can be bothersome. The most egregious problem is the audio jacks (in and out). They can be moved around a bit and actually causes sound distortion and audio cutting in my line-in. Another one is the tube socket; it's leaning a little to the left so the pre-amp tube is not perfectly centered. Maybe this was caused by the tube coming loose during shipping.

Obviously, the problems I have with the build quality may not be representative of all units. But, I think presentation is a big part of buying a product, even for nutjobs who want to take the time to examine it real close. I will say (just to not be a total downer on build quality) that the volume knob feels quite nice and the look of the amp itself is better than average.

So overall, I think I can give this amp a cautionary recommendation to someone who wants to take a little step towards better audio quality. At its attractive pricing, I feel this amp allows someone to get their feet wet in the sea of higher end audio and see if they want to go into the ocean. Possibly, units on average don't have the couple of build quality issues that I have. And, I think the sound I get out of these, the most important part of course of an amp, is very good for my non-audiophile ears.

ASUS VH236H 23-Inch Full-HD 2ms LCD Monitor
ASUS VH236H 23-Inch Full-HD 2ms LCD Monitor

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Gaming Monitor, January 2, 2012
I bought this monitor specifically because it is (was?) the official monitor of the Evolution Fighting Game Tournament held yearly during mid-summer. The reason that organization has chosen this monitor for their event is because of its relatively low input lag time.

To clarify, input lag is the amount of time in between the button press of a controller to display on the screen. The response time ratings given by manufacturers does not tell you anything about input lag. The only way to really know is to test the monitor of interest. This is of interest to gamers, fighting game players in particular, because crucial moments can be decided by one's reaction to what's occuring on screen. If I see something happen on screen and press a button to react, the input lag would add precious milliseconds to that input before it displays it's effect; essentially, I would have reacted too late.

When I received the monitor, I can't say I was wowed or overwhelmed. It's large. But I've never owned a monitor larger than 19", so the 23" real estate was nice. Out the box and connected to my PC through DVI, the colors looked pretty good. I didn't bother to fiddle with the adjustments The blacks are, of course, not very black; something to expected of an LCD, particularly an LCD that's kind of old. There's also noticeable "bleed" on the top and bottom of the screens from the CFLs used to backlight the display. Not deal-breaking for me, but some people may find this annoying.

Also, the monitor cannot be height-adjusted, only tilt-adjusted. The buttons feel quite stiff. Not the pleasurable clicky stiff. It's more of a "will this break if I press it" kind of stiff.

Overall, I am satisfied with the monitor. It has very low input lag (as tested by members of the website Shoryuken.com), and I definitely noticed it while playing Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition. My combo timings were thrown all out of whack because I had gotten so used to my previous monitor.

I approached this monitor from a purely gaming perspective and I am happy with what I got. If one is looking for more features and whatnot, might have to look elsewhere.

Yakuza 4 - Playstation 3
Yakuza 4 - Playstation 3
Offered by Shopville USA
Price: $36.52
43 used & new from $15.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for fans of the previous series, January 2, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I adore the Yakuza series, having played 1-3. Naturally, I had expectations coming into this game and I can say they were mostly fulfilled.

Yakuza 4, much like the previous titles in the series, is a "beat-em-up" game similar to Final Fight from the arcade days. But it's mixed in with RPG elements such as random encounters and leveling up one's character (although, a bit simplistic). Where this game tries to breathe in some fresh air into the series is giving control of four separate characters instead of just the titular hero, Kazama Kiryu. Initially, I thought of it to be a welcome change but as the story progressed, I missed the story revolving around Kiryu. Not to say that the story is bad.

Yakuza 4's story, again, like it's predecessors, can be described as a compelling crime drama. I'll admit that the story for Yakuza 4 had me more confused at various points than I had ever been in the previous titles. But, I was still compelled to proceed further to hopefully elucidate the questions I was having. By the time I reached the end, I was much satisfied with the story and most of my questions had been answered.

Where the line will be drawn is the actual gameplay in Yakuza 4. It is afterall a video game, and if it isn't fun to play, there isn't any point to it at all. As I've stated before, I'm coming in with a bias. I have played the previous games and enjoy the exploration, beat-em-up, and level up gameplay. Some people may find it tiring, repetitive, or just plain boring. I'll admit, there was point about 3/4 the way through the game where I was kind of just going through the motions of the combat just to push the story along further. If it's innovation and riveting game play you're looking for, it might be best to pass over this one.

The story may not be for everyone either. This is a Japanese game localized for the Western market. Thank goodness Sega has continued to bring this game stateside even though the audience for this type of game is extremely limited. It's based around Japanese characters in a Japanese culture; Japanese gang culture at that. Some people, understandably just won't "get it" or find it interesting.

To sum it up, if you're a fan of the previous Yakuza games, then of course you should get this one. If beat-em-ups are fun for you, along with RPG style character management, this might be good for you as well. I think the story's great, but if you have no interest in reading subtitles or can't wrap your head around some Japanese nuances, maybe take a pass on this one.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite a pleasant surprise, March 26, 2011
Typically, when the name SkullCandy comes up in a headphone discussion, people are quick to dismiss them as a cheap, nothing special brand of headphones. And I can understand that totally. Their pickings across the board are not anything special, in my opinion. The only reason I considered these in the first place was how stylish I thought they looked.

Upon receiving them, and giving them an initial test run, I was surprised to hear that these headphones have some actual merit to them. Bass is present, but not overwhelming. As such, the mids and highs are very clear and not muddled. I have three other pairs of headphones, all Sony: MDR-V6, XB-700s, and the Marqii. I'm fairly certain that these SkullCandy Aviators edge out my other pairs as my preferred audio experience. Overall, I can say I am very satisfied with the sound experience.

Comfort-wise, these pairs aren't much to speak about. I wear plastic frame glasses and after a period of extended use, I can feel a bit of soreness developing after using these. Non-spectacled users may have a different experience.

Build-quality on the main body of the headphones was very good, and felt quite solid. I do get paranoid that I might smash the side of my head into something a bit too hard and crack the ear-cups, but no accidents yet. However, I'm not too thrilled with the cord, and mic/button combo. The mic/button controls on the cord feel EXTREMELY cheap (very light-weight plastic, no tactile feedback on middle buttons); completely unacceptable for headphones this expensive. But you can't have it all, I guess.

To sum it all up, I initially bought these for their stylish look, and got very good sound-quality as a pleasant surprise. Overall, I am quite satisfied with my purchase, though I cannot say I would buy from SkullCandy again. Even though they churned out a gem in this pair, I can't say it really changes how I perceive them as a brand, especially with the cheapness I see in the cord and mic/buttons.

I think for most users, the main hurdle is the price. Is it worth the price of $150? My honest answer is no. But just like some people will spend money on $300 Coach bags, $200 shoes, etc., there will be people who will spend $150 to buy the style and good sound quality at a slightly exorbitant price.

Logitech G9X Programmable Laser Gaming Mouse with Precision Grips
Logitech G9X Programmable Laser Gaming Mouse with Precision Grips
Offered by IsaacTronics
Price: $349.99
9 used & new from $61.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good mouse, February 20, 2011
I bought this mouse because it is purportedly the mouse of my favorite Starcraft 2 player, Fruitdealer.
The first unit I received had four defective buttons (DPI switches, and the back and forward buttons).
But the second replacement unit shipped promptly from Amazon and it works perfectly.

The mouse is meant to integrate with Logitech's SetPoint software and it does so very well. There are a plethora of customizable features that I won't even go into. I personally just cared about setting the colors of the DPI indicators and the DPI/sensitivity.
But you can do various other things like customize and create profiles, and rearrange buttons. There are even hardware customizations of grip-changing and weight balancing.

There is one small issue that I've been trying to resolve. It rarely shows up and isn't much of a nuisance, but I am curious as to its origin and its resolution. Sometimes, when I leave the mouse still, I can see the cursor on my monitor begin to drift or shake in place. I am fairly certain there are no vibrations causing the mouse to behave like this, so I am at a loss to explain its cause. But this is a minor issue. Not once has the cursor behaved in a manner that was not my desire while the mouse was in motion. It is just this transient stationary anomaly that I am trying to debug.

Overall, I think this mouse works beautifully, and I am pretty glad I bought it. I can't comment too much on its durability since I haven't had it for that long, but it has a sturdy feel and I am planning to have it for a very long time.

Gigabyte LGA1156 ATI CrossFireX ATX Motherboard GA-P55-USB3
Gigabyte LGA1156 ATI CrossFireX ATX Motherboard GA-P55-USB3

4.0 out of 5 stars Versatile Motherboard, January 16, 2011
What drew me to this motherboard was its support for socket 1156, allowing me to have my choice among the current gen i5 and i7 lines. It's also priced fairly and offers most features expected from modern day computers. It also happens to have 2 USB 3.0 ports which doesn't hurt at all.

Installation was a cinch. Pop in a disc after installing Windows and all the drivers and whatnot are installed. I didn't run into any hassles with this motherboard, especially with its clear user manual.

I think the main thing to think about when choosing this motherboard is thinking about what kind of expanding and upgrading the end user will want to do down the line. For example, this motherboard is listed as supporting Crossfire. However, limitations of this motherboard will not allow the cards to run at their full potential. On the Gigabyte website, it lists the 2nd PCIx16 slot only capable of running at 4x, which obviously will limit a card's performance. Basically, if dual video cards is down the line for you, you might want to consider putting more money down on a motherboard the would better suit those needs.

Overall, I'm quite satisfied with what I got and could get out of this motherboard in the next few years.

Thermaltake TR2 80PLUS BRONZE Active PFC SLI-Ready 700 Watts Power Supply TR-700P (Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars It works, January 16, 2011
My computer's major components are an i7-870, Gigabye P55-USB3, XFX HD 6850, x2 2GB DDR3-1333MHz Crucual RAM and a WD Raptor.
There really isn't much for me to say about this PSU. I haven't had any power issues at all, and I'm fairly confident that there's enough left over for a few more devices, i.e. Blu-Ray burner, additional hard drives. The reason I was drawn to it was the fact that it came from a trusted brand, had a fairly high wattage rating, and was reasonably priced. In addition to its performance, I think this all sums up to a worthwhile buy for a system with moderate power demands.

XFX AMD Radeon HD 6850 775M 1 GB DDR5 Graphics Card HD685XZNFC
XFX AMD Radeon HD 6850 775M 1 GB DDR5 Graphics Card HD685XZNFC

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good low-mid-range card, January 16, 2011
With the right kind of expectations, I don't think too many people will be disappointed with what they get from this card. I recently built a new computer (first time experience), and I chose this card and manufacturer based on a recommendation of a roommate.

The new rig I built was mainly focused on playing StarCraft 2, so I wasn't too keen on spending too much on a card when the game doesn't require it. This card from XFX seemed to fit the bill as it had a decent amount of performance along with a reasonable price point. Most of my experience in gaming with this card is in StarCraft 2, and I can say that it runs very well overall. The frame rate isn't super-consistent, but the game has never bogged down to the point of playable (Ultra settings). I can't really comment much on any other games, so I'll just leave it at that.

My one major complaint about this card is that it can and does get obnoxiously loud under load. I feel like XFX could have done a little more to reign in this card's noise. With a pair of headphones on, it isn't quite that bad, but other people in the vicinity may not appreciate it. Even when idle, the fan is spinning around 40% and one can definitely pick the noise out.

Also, this may not be a widespread problem and may not be common at all, both units of the card I've received seem to have a noise associated with a bearing issue around the 44%-47% fan speed range. On my first unit, it was a totally ridiculous noise and one that I could not live with, so I RMA'd it. The second unit I received still exhibits some sort of whine around this speed range, but it is much more tolerable. Just something to keep in mind when purchasing this unit.

I've also had the experience of dealing with XFX's Support Ticket system when trying to find out my options for the high pitched whine my initial unit was making. The turnaround time for the Support Ticket system appears to be a day, and I felt from the responses that XFX was reluctant to have me RMA with them as they recommended I RMA with Amazon. While I would have preferred to RMA with XFX since I could request they test the replacement/repaired card before shipping it out to me, my patience with the Support Ticket's slow turnaround time wore thin over the course of four of five days, so Amazon it was. If I ever have to deal with their Support department again, I'll probably go through phone.

Overall, the card performs very well for what I use it for. It doesn't hurt that it has a lifetime warranty from XFX (after registration) should anything go wrong with it in the future. Hopefully, they'll be willing to honor it then. From my experience with this card and XFX support, I can't say that I'm left with a positive or negative impression, so three stars it is.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2012 5:44 AM PDT