Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Sloan Bird > Reviews

Browse

Sloan Bird's Profile

Customer Reviews: 19

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sloan Bird RSS Feed (Pittsburgh, PA)

Page: 1 | 2
Eating Purely: More Than 100 All-Natural, Organic, Gluten-Free Recipes for a Healthy Life
Price: $9.50

3.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS NOT A VEGAN COOKBOOK, December 29, 2015
I misinterpreted the write-up of this book and thought I was getting a gluten free, vegan cookbook. While some of the recipes are, it is not exclusively so. She has an entire chapter on fish and poultry recipes, and though she lists dairy as one of the top things to avoid in order to "Eat Purely", a bunch of recipes call for cheese. Her "vegan" cashew cheese mushroom ravioli requires 4 eggs, and her black bean beet burger says the egg can be left out for vegan versions but offers no suggestions for an alternative

Overall the recipes look fine but are nothing exceptional. Some ingredients will be hard to source at your local grocery store, especially if you're in the midwest. I'm a little salty that I wasted $15 on a cookbook where a third of the recipes are unusable for me and I wish I could return it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 16, 2016 6:20 PM PST

Très Green, Très Clean, Très Chic: Eat (and Live!) the New French Way with Plant-Based, Gluten-Free Recipes for Every Season
by Rebecca L. Leffler
Price: $15.19
75 used & new from $6.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Great "Plant-Based" Cookbook, December 23, 2015
I was looking for a vegan French cookbook when I found this, and I ordered it for my Kindle because I thought maybe it was more gimmick than substance. After about a month, I ordered the paperback version as well. I love this cookbook. Every recipe I have tried has been tasty and *relatively* simple to make (I enjoy cooking and have found everything I've tried to be very easy to prepare, but if you're just moving away from cooking from a box, the recipes are a little more labor-intensive). Leffler definitely takes a chatty girlfriend tone, but the information is solid. I am annoyed that this book has been branded as "plant-based" instead of vegan, but it will definitely stay on my shelf for a long time to come.

A Ghost of a Chance (Witch Woods Funeral Home Book 1): (Ghost Cozy Mystery series)
Price: $0.99

1.0 out of 5 stars So Poorly Written, It's Hard to Finish, December 13, 2015
This book is painfully bad. Premise: woman who can see ghosts inherits funeral home and has to move back with zealot mother. Sounds great, right? Sadly, the entire thing is a let-down. Best's writing lacks continuity (character makes and eats a sandwich at lunch, gets a clue in the mystery, and goes to town where they realize it's almost lunchtime and they haven't eaten all day) and any concept of "show, don't tell". The characters are REALLY one dimensional. The dialogue is just dumb. You have no reason to care about the characters, and the "mystery" is not even a thing. It seems as though Best had a good idea, wrote it out in a weekend, and published it without reading over it or showing it to someone else beforehand. Please save your 99 cents. Ms. Best, I want your stories to be the rich and enjoyable works that they could be; please let me know if you would like a pro bono editor.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 25, 2016 7:40 AM PDT

Miss Spelled (The Kitchen Witch Book 1): Witch Cozy Mystery series
Miss Spelled (The Kitchen Witch Book 1): Witch Cozy Mystery series
Price: $0.99

2.0 out of 5 stars but it is so poorly written that the neat premise is wasted. At least the book is free of grammatical ..., December 13, 2015
I am interested in the story, but it is so poorly written that the neat premise is wasted. At least the book is free of grammatical errors!

Nom Yourself: Simple Vegan Cooking
Nom Yourself: Simple Vegan Cooking
by Mary Mattern
Price: $17.00
74 used & new from $5.98

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Good, November 5, 2015
I was pleasantly surprised with this cookbook. Mattern's recipes are accessible and tasty (the stuffed shells are EXCELLENT), and the book contains some kitchen set-up info for folks who are new to preparing foods from their original state. The recipes are not life-changing, but they are tasty and well thought out.

Salad Samurai: 100 Cutting-Edge, Ultra-Hearty, Easy-to-Make Salads You Don't Have to Be Vegan to Love
by Terry Hope Romero
Price: $13.88
113 used & new from $6.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes Adulting a Little Easier, November 5, 2015
This cookbook is terrific. For some reason, I have always felt overwhelmed by the idea of packing a lunch to take to work with me (I know it's ridiculous, but adulting is hard), and that has been even more of a pain since going vegan. This book gives tips on packing, storing, prepping, and planning. Romero's recipes are so appealing that I want to make them just so I can impress my coworkers with my salad skills. The language is friendly, the layout of the book is really good-looking, and I have yet to encounter an ingredient that I can't find in my local upscale supermarket. I'm really pleased with this purchase.

The Royal We
The Royal We
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun!, April 17, 2015
This review is from: The Royal We (Kindle Edition)
I love the Fug Books, and this one was terrific. I really felt like I was behind the scenes with The Firm.

Downtowns: Revitalizing the Centers of Small Urban Communities (Contemporary Urban Affairs)
Price: $39.46

1.0 out of 5 stars suggestion, September 6, 2014
Your book sounds interesting, and I would like to read it; however, your $128 price tag is laughable. May i suggest a sale?

Emily's Ghost
Emily's Ghost
Price: $3.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Talk About Eternity, December 2, 2012
This review is from: Emily's Ghost (Kindle Edition)
This book was so bad. I started it months ago but couldn't get past the first 10 pages. I've not read any of the author's other work, but the writing in this is painful. I picked it up again last week, part of a goal to finish books I buy, but I just can't do it. I made it 3/4 of the way through (76% on my kindle) and couldn't take another page.

This story is way too ambitious for a writer of Stockenberg's ability. A love triangle, a murder mystery, multiple key settings, a journalist's struggles, and supernatural stuff...she just couldn't put it together in a way that flowed. She didn't develop the romantic relationships; suddenly she's in love with someone, and he's in love with her, but I had no idea how it happened. This was especially the case with Fergus. Either develop a story and explain how the love happens, or introduce it as fated love. You have to do one of these things.

There are a ton of points where the story could have started to wrap up but I would look at my page count and realize I was only half way in. It just dragged and dragged. I feel like the print version would be 500 pages. The "romantic" scenes are embarrassing and not sexy, the description is too cumbersome.

Also, the formatting on the kindle version is flawed: I had to enlarge my text to a ridiculous amount just to be able to see the print, and parts of pages would disappear.

I assume that if you want to read a love story about a ghost and a mystery than you are looking for a light read. This is not it. It is a waste of time and you'd be better off looking elsewhere.

The Rook
The Rook
by Daniel O'Malley
Price: $10.98
61 used & new from $3.12

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, November 14, 2012
This review is from: The Rook (Paperback)
I don't know that I've ever given a book 5 stars (I'm too lazy to check), but The Rook was terrific. It was James Bond and Jason Bourne and X-Men all rolled into one. Funny, thorough, novel, and very entertaining. I cannot wait to read more books by O'Malley.

Page: 1 | 2