Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Nothing But Thieves All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS
Profile for N. B. > Reviews

Browse

N. B.'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

N. B. "nise2000" RSS Feed (Long Island, NY)

Page: 1 | 2
Professional Poker
Professional Poker
by Mark Blade
Price: $19.66
62 used & new from $0.73

2.0 out of 5 stars 2 1/2 Stars.........I was hoping for more., March 2, 2007
This review is from: Professional Poker (Paperback)
Book a little misleading. The title should read "Professional Limit Poker."
For Limit players mostly. 90% of material applies to Limit poker. Not alot of info or advice for No Limit or tournaments. I found this frustrating since I am a NO LIMIT player....

Alot of the information presented in this book is found in other poker books, and in more detail in other books, also the authur of the book kept referencing to his website, but I found his website to be a huge advertisment and not too helpfull.

A few pros: Nice hand analysis, Good bankroll / money management chapter (again for mostly limit players) reverse implied odds, some good ideas and advice for a semi-pro player regarding taxes, backing, family life, selling shares of yourself, insurance..ect, and some good advise and tips on the "poker mind" regarding emotional wellbeing, accepting bad beats, not going on tilt..ect..ect..

Alot of information covered in other books and alot of common sense for some of us that have been playing before the "poker boom" started.
Also, the authur mentions a list of "must read" books as well...mostly Sklansky. I agree with some of the recomondations, but not all of them, and he never mentions DAN HARRINGTON's books, which he should of.

For a no-limit player, I would say either borrow the book from someone and read a few chapters, or buy it real cheap, or dont bother at all..
If you are a BEGINER limit player, you WILL find the book very usefull. Unfortunatly, I didnt.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2010 12:17 AM PST

Ace on the River: An Advanced Poker Guide
Ace on the River: An Advanced Poker Guide
by Barry Greenstein
156 used & new from $0.62

4.0 out of 5 stars 3 1/2 Stars....not bad, but not great., December 5, 2006
Ace on the River is what the title states: A Poker Guide. If you are looking to become a professional poker player then this book will give you some insight into the lifestyle of of poker pro.

Barry delves on money management, playing in good profitable games, poker mindframe, family, ect..ect.. Its not a book to teach you how to play hold'em but a book to give you advice about being a professional poker player. He goes over some unique hands that he has been in, and the poker odds and out chart in the back of the book is definatly very helpful, but overall the book is ok..It has some nice pictures and a small biography about himself.

To be honest, I have only went back to the hand chart in the back of the book from time to time and not the actual context of the book. I did not read the book more then once. I let a friend borrow this book and it helped him alot (he is a semi-pro) but it didnt help me all that much. I heard that after Tuan Lee read this one it changed his game. I think it helped him manage his money better, look at poker as a business, and be more responsable. Barry Greenstein is a great player and a great person (giving a % of his winnings to charity) but if you want to learn how to beat the game I would suggest reading Dan Harrington, Doyle Brunson, or Skalanky...If you are looking to become a pro, then this might help you more then it helped me.

Harrington on Hold 'em Expert Strategy for No Limit Tournaments, Vol. 2: Endgame
by Bill Robertie
Price: $25.40
203 used & new from $1.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank You Dan Harrington !!!!, December 4, 2006

Just like virtualy every review on amazon, I give this one 5+ Stars. Bottom Line: If you want to step up your NL Hold'em tourament game, these books will do it for you. You can only get so lucky in touraments, in the long run you need SKILL to be a winner and consitant in NLHE Touraments. The knowelege from these books combined with table experiance is in my opinion the making of a great overall NLHE Tourament player.

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE...This book teaches you the skills necessary to be sussesfull. You must understand: Proper Out Calculation, pot odds, implied odds, position, continuation bets, betting patterns, M, Q, Squeeze Plays, Gap theory, Value Bets, ect... ect....

These books cover just about all you need to be a sucessfull NL Tourament player. To understand and apply the knowlege in these books, and learning to think for yourself will make you lethal at the poker tables. You can read these books over and over again to absorb more knowlege and you will not get bored.

These books are Very well written and it's easy to understand the concepts. If you dont understand them Harrington gives you examples and senerios. I will personlly thank Dan Harrington for being so honest and for not holding anything back in these books. He has definatly taken a risk writing these books.

He writes about what no other NLHE books to date include. These books have helped me tremendously!! YOU MUST BOTH UNDERSTAND AND THEN APPLY THIS KNOWELEGE.This will give you an edge in touraments....Whenever I am playing a NLHE Tourament I hope that no one else at my table has the same knowlege from these books as I do.

Harrington on Hold 'em Expert Strategy for No Limit Tournaments, Vol. 1: Strategic Play
by Dan Harrington
Price: $24.41
203 used & new from $0.74

5.0 out of 5 stars I Have to agree with everyone else...., November 21, 2006
I will make this review as short and to the point as possible.... The Harrington on Hold'em series: Volumes 1-3 are the best books written on the subject of no limit texas hold'em touraments to date. Plain and simple! I have owned this series for over a year and these books have helped me so much in understanding the game of NLHE better and has made me alot of $$$ over the last year, so I figured it was my duty to post an honest review...

I am a firm believer that exeprience is the best practice, but soon after finishing the first 2 books, I have been CONSISTANT in cashing in big live events. I play in live tourements weekly ranging from 40-400 people at NY underground poker rooms,(which in my opinion is the HARDEST and TOUGHEST FIELD TO DOMINATE, and coincidently where harrington starting his poker carrer) and out of the last 20 times I played after reading these books I have cashed 16 out of the 20 times.
Like I said, I was pretty good before reading these books, but now, APPLYING the knowlege in these books I am so much better then I ever was. Understanding and applying the knowlege in these books is key to understanding the game and winning touraments!

The Eyes of the Dragon
The Eyes of the Dragon
by Stephen King
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.99
165 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a Great Book, May 20, 2004
So far, this is my favorite Stephen King book to date. Once I started reading this book I found myself unable put it down.
The story is pretty short compared to King's other Novels, but it moves very fast, and is very interesting. Not one boring part in the entire book!!!
Basicly the story starts out with a King and his Queen, they have 2 sons, one is named Peter and the other Thomas. Peter is just like his mother, a wise, intelegent boy. Thomas is like his father, the total opposite of Peter, very insecure, and a lush.
Then there is the king's magician, an evil man who's name is Flagg, who has been around for many years, too many years. (dont want to spoil)
The king is murdered, and who is to blame?
Thus starts the great adventure that awaits. The book moves quickly and the action is fast. I finished the book in 3 days. There is not any rambling on and on in this one, (which is seen in many of Stephen King's Novels) it's strait to the point!! This is just a wonderful tale, seen through the eyes of the dragon.

Shogun Assassin
Shogun Assassin
VHS
5 used & new from $14.00

4.0 out of 5 stars "Choose The Sword and you will join me"....., May 13, 2004
This review is from: Shogun Assassin (VHS Tape)
"Choose the ball and you join your mother"....."I know you dont understand my words, but you must choose."....
Shogun Assassin is just the first part of the many films in the Lone Wolf series, and the best! The film was BANNED SINCE 1983 in the UK, and the most bloody of the series. There are 2 parts to Shogun Assassin, so if you just get the first one you will be left hanging.
Basiclly, HE WHIPS OUT HIS SWORD AND RELIEVES HIS VICTIMS OF THEIR HEADS AND LIMBS!! THE BLOOD GUSHES OUT ALL OVER THE SCREEN - AS IF BEING HOSED INTO THE CAMERA!
Yea, This film is Pretty violent, it reminds me of Kill Bill Vol 1. Shogun was some of QT's insperation to Kill Bill and he included some of it in Vol. 2. Shogun Assassin tells the story of Lone Wolf a powerful and feared "Masterless" samurai who lives a peaceful existence with his wife and his son. When he refuses to swear allegiance to Kurando the most vicious Shogun in Japanese history, Kurando orders the death of Lone Wolf's wife Azame. Lone Wolf vows to avenge her death, taking his son Tizuro with him on the path to darkness and retribution. Soon Lone Wolf's sword of vengeance is unleashed upon many victims,including the evil Shogun's son and the legendary "Masters of Death".
If you have ever heard the Wu Tang, GZA albulm "liquid swords" you would of heard many samples that came from this movie. This movie is pretty good, (considering its not kung fu.)Very entertaining, and the kid is pretty cute, watch for the part when he counts the victims, pretty funny...Tomisaburo Wakayama plays the Lone Wolf.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars The other half of the Ying Yang., April 19, 2004
QT amazes us once again!! While Kill Bill Vol 1. was extreamly violent, and the focus was primarily on the fighting,(which was GREAT!!) This film mostly focuses on the actual plot of the story and the characters themselves and their internal struggles. The diaologe is classic QT stuff, and is great. Reminded me of the Pulp Fiction diaologe, just briliant!!
Uma Thurman was just as amazing as in the first installment. She did a great job in carrying her emotion through the film and delivered a beleivable martial arts performance.
I have to say, I never even liked David Caridene before, but I was very, very IMPRESSED with his performance!! I think he did a great job acting and really was BILL. He definatlly gave me a new impression of him. Solid Performance.
Gordon Liu is THE MAN and was GREAT!! Just hilarious! I am glad QT chose him to play the part instead of himself. Great Old School Kung Fu homage scences, complete with camera styles and music. Just great, expecially if your a Kung Fu movie fan, you will love the entire Pai Mei scene.
This half of one whole of a film is more of the internal side of confrontation. Dont get me wrong, there are some great fight scenes. (Expecially the fight scene againt Darrell Hanna!!) The film was mostly dialoge driven, but it still keeps you on the edge of your seat and is classic QT genre.
For fans of the first half you will not be dissapointed at all!! For people who did not like Kill Bill Vol 1 for it's violence, I think you will enjoy this half, or at least appreciate QT's brilliance as a writer and director. I beleive this is as much a love story as it is a revenge tale. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
Oh.. If you have a fear of small spaces, beware of the Live Burial scene.

New Legend of Shaolin
New Legend of Shaolin
DVD ~ Sung Young Chen
Offered by Hybridseller
Price: $35.00
21 used & new from $0.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Jet Li is the man, but this movie is pretty AWFULL!!, April 1, 2004
This review is from: New Legend of Shaolin (DVD)
I tried to watch this film again, but it's still bad.
Well, lets see.... where does the madness begin!? Well first I have to say that I bought this movie way back when Fist of Legend first came out in 1994.(Which was a great film.)

By the looks of the cover, I thought this would be a good film, but this one was garbage. I am a HUGE Jet Li fan, he is one of the most talented martial artists to date, but the movie was awfull. First I do not like all the flying around stuff,so that turned me off, but I can deal with it. The fights scenes were too unrealistic, and the Villian had a metal car!?? Yes a METAL CAR!..Man..What is that about!!? That was so cheesy. The movie was More like a fantasy cartoon, that I could'nt wait to end. The movie was Very disapointing! The film has the same kid in it as in "My Father is a Hero" and is very similar to Fung Sai Yuk. Sai Yuk was much, much better. This one is as bad as "Kung Fu Cult Master". no, Actually that movie was better. This one was pretty bad.

Shaolin Wu Tang
Shaolin Wu Tang
DVD ~ Idy Chan
21 used & new from $0.65

5.0 out of 5 stars "The Shaolin and the Wu Tang could be dangerous"..., April 1, 2004
This review is from: Shaolin Wu Tang (DVD)
I have owned this film on VHS for a long time, and it is still one of the best. THIS IS CLASSIC OLD SCHOOL KUNG FU. Gordon Liu is just great in this one. Watch closely at the fight scences, expecally towards the end. This has Amazing choreography! Gordon Liu plays a shaolin practitioner who is forced to fight his best friend who studies the Wu Tang Sword Style, but there is so much more. The training sequences are good, not so much in depth like Master Killer though. The fights are great and this is a TRUE CLASSIC which to this day I watch over and over again and still enjoy it. This is a MUST have for any fan of Kung Fu movies or Kung Fu practitionor.
This is the film that the Wu-Tang Clan took most of their samples from for "the 36 chambers album". You will see why.
" ...A game of chess is like a sword fight, you must think first before you move..."

Dance of the Drunken Mantis
Dance of the Drunken Mantis
DVD ~ Simon Yuen
Price: $14.95
7 used & new from $5.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Yuen Woo Ping and Sam the Seed, April 1, 2004
This review is from: Dance of the Drunken Mantis (DVD)
When you see a Yuen Woo Ping film, you can pretty much gaurantee that it will be entertaining. At least the fight scenes are. I actually have owned this film for about 6 years now on VHS, and the movie is good, but it can get corney at times (like the singing in the bank?!.) But all in all a pretty decient martial arts film. Sam the Seed plays the usual character, like in Drunkin Master and does a good job, even though it's noticalble that he is not doing the more difficult moves. Watch for when Sam the Seed and Crazy Legs are drinking tea together! To me, It was the highlight of the film. Very good choreography, thanks to Woo Ping, who is one of the most talented martial arts choreographer and director. The firmiliarness of the characters, the cornyness, the slow martial arts sequences, and the unfunny comedy make it an OK martial arts film. Apart from the tea drinking sequence, the film is nothing spectacular.

Page: 1 | 2