Profile for Marvelous > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 31

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Marvelous RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Faster [Blu-ray]
Faster [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Dwayne Johnson
Price: $6.96
60 used & new from $1.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Faster is actually slower than what I thought it would be., March 9, 2011
This review is from: Faster [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I was definitely entertained by the movie, but I was somewhat set back due to entitlement of the film.

When you think faster you think high speed chases, adrenaline rush, mayhem etc... but this movie actually goes by at a much slower pace. I'm thrilled to see Dwayne back in action movies, and he did a great job of tapping back into his wrestling persona with a strong presence. However I think it was a mix of poor script writing and the director that bring down the excitement; resulting in decent action flick, rather than a great action flick.

Lets talk alternate ending... the movie throughout never really has a climax, but the original ending that was cut due to audiences displeasure was a disappointment. It would have been an awesome ending to a solid 80's tradition action film.

Let's talk car chases... or lack thereof. There are a couple solid scenes, but again I think it was both poor writing and directing that give it a negative blow. I love the muscle and exotic cars they have in the movie, but it would have been better if they pushed the envelope and punctuated the `Faster' title.

All and all the movie does what it's supposed to do, it's definitely worth a rental, but you might not feel its money well spent for $20.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 6, 2011 1:55 PM PST

The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena - Xbox 360
The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena - Xbox 360
Offered by NEWPORT555
Price: $30.25
45 used & new from $5.70

4.0 out of 5 stars Riddick is still the most bad ass character in the galaxy!, January 10, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Let me start by saying you are getting 2 games for the price of 1: Escape from Butcher Bay re-mastered in HD, and a wonderful follow-up Assault on Dark Athena.

Firstly they did an awesome job transferring Butcher Bay over to the Next Gen Console; this game never seems to get old. The mixture of stealth, hand-to-hand takedowns and gun fights are more than entertaining. Also the conversation you engage in to find certain achievements like collecting cigarette packs adds to the replay value.

Secondly getting a sequel on the same disc, Assault on Dark Athena is definitely an added bonus. You can see the graphical difference from Butcher bay, and it held on the exact game play and elements that made the first game so great. You get to engage in the same kind of conversations, kills and takedown moves.

Playing both games back-to-back really makes it feel like one complete game, which stretches out the story over 20 hours or more, but it's hard to calculate because I wasn't counting. The only thing I wish they hadn't added was the multiplayer; unfortunately there really isn't anyone playing this online anymore, and its shame because half of the achievements are multiplayer related.

All and all it's a solid title, and I hope that Vin Diesel delivers us a third title in the series in the near future.

James Bond 007: Blood Stone - Xbox 360
James Bond 007: Blood Stone - Xbox 360
Offered by games_for_sale
Price: $12.99
71 used & new from $8.99

3.0 out of 5 stars 007 Blood Stone: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly, November 3, 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
So I picked up Blood Stone last night and decided to keep it despite the horrible early review of 5/10 by IGN.

Blood Stone is Splinter Cell Conviction meets The Bourne Conspiracy, meets Batman Arkham Asylum. It borrows Convictions Mark & Execute feature which is granted one mark at a time by hand-to-hand combat (which is pretty satisfying by the way), and also has a lot of stealth elements. The running and takedowns reminded me a lot of Bourne, also with high octane chases and so forth. It borrows from Batman by using his Smartphone to see where enemies are on the map, with minor detective work.

I have 3 gripes with the game though:

1. It incredibly short... I beat it last night with a time of 5 hours.

2. The cut-scenes and lip synching are definitely not polished.

3. The sound is really bad; I usually have my receiver at -24 for gaming, but I had to turn it up to -18 for decent sound.

I can see why IGN was so harsh, but on the other hand I can see why Game Informer gave it 7/10. Despite the listed problem, this actually was a very entertaining game, but at the moment it's more a rental than a $60 purchase.

There are however certain areas that have polish... the hand-to-hand combat is perfect in every which way, it's very easy to silently take someone down, and the transition from gun shooting to a takedown is just as seamless as SC or UC. I thought the guns handling was awesome, and the focus mode is really easy to switch to when several guys are shooting at you.

The car chases are actually pretty decent, way better than the crap they put on The Bourne Conspiracy. You have about 4 chases and each one is unique and gives a nice break in-between stealth and gun fights.

So if anyone is on the fence in here, I would say if you love games like Splinter Cell and The Bourne Conspiracy, then you will definitely love Blood Stone. However, I honestly don't believe it's worth $60... I would either rent it, or wait for black Friday or even Christmas. I guarantee the games price will be chopped in half by then.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2011 7:55 PM PST

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction
Offered by Galactics
Price: $12.55
209 used & new from $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Conviction Vs. Double Agent, August 6, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I'm basing my review on the transition SC has made in revamping the popular series.

In Double Agent, Sam would search through cabinets, computers, and interrogate guys for information, then knocked them out.
In Conviction, Sam just beats the crap out of guys using his surroundings, tortures them with methods like stabbing through the hand for information.

In Double Agent, Sam would avoid being seen at all cost, always attempting to sneak from behind with a knife to the back, or a close fist to the head.
In Conviction, Sam uses hand-to-hand combat, beating the crap out of guys and finishing them off with head slams into a nearby wall.

In Double Agent, Sam would have to take his time carefully, using his pistol to short circuit lights one at a time for a short period of darkness.
In Conviction, Sam has a new EMP devise, which when used cuts out all near by lights. and machines.

In Double Agent, Sam was very subdued, with almost no emotion what-so-ever.
In Conviction, Sam is hostile, pissed off, and looking for revenge.

In Double Agent, Sam was equipped with weapons, but rarely used them.
In Conviction, Sam is blasting through doors with a shotgun using full force.

In Double Agent, Sam was slow like a Rhino, creeping slowly through missions.
In Conviction, Sam is like a panther, quick and fast, with the trigger and movement

In Double Agent, Sam worked for the government, and was restricted on methods and objectives.
In Conviction, Sam is on his own, no rules, regulations, or orders to particularly carry out.

In Double Agent, Sam was exposed if a shot is fired and missed, resulting in death or failure of a mission.
In Conviction, Sam now marks and executes enemies in a Jason Bourne fashion, taking out 3-4 foes in 3-4 shots, with no alerts.

I'm a veteran of the Splinter Cell series; I own every game including the overlooked Double Agent created for the original Xbox. I still play Chaos Theory and Double Agent on a regular basis; I have always loved the games attention to detail and multiple objectives to follow: lock picking, hacking, interrogations etc...

Besides Convictions short length, I rather enjoy playing it on a regular basis as well. Though I miss all the gadgets, hiding bodies, and slower game-play I still feel Conviction went in the right direction. Personally I feel it's a stepping stone for better things to come, I think it outlines the game plan to keep the fast pace action/stealth, but bring back all the elements we loved about the previous titles.

We can only hope Ubisoft hears our cries for those returned elements, and on my own wish list, I really hope we get a campaign that stretches at LEAST 15 hours.

Assassin's Creed II: Platinum Hits Edition
Assassin's Creed II: Platinum Hits Edition
Offered by Boothill Sales
Price: $16.98
196 used & new from $2.12

5.0 out of 5 stars AC II is a work of Art, November 18, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The ubisoft office based in Montreal is becoming my favorite developer and publisher by far. Here we have creators that actually took feedback from the consumers, soaked up all the ideas and redelivered a more entertaining sequel than its predecessor! Assassin's Creed II comes back revamped, improved, and flawless in everyway imaginable; the game literally picks up right after the first, and it keeps you inclined to progress with as much of your free time as possible.

First and far most you will notice better graphics, in-comparison to ACI where as the opening sequence takes place in the very same room you completed the game in. I'm not one to reveal any kinds of spoilers, so I will avoid any description of the story as I describe my first 6 hours with this game. The story its self is much more compelling this time around, you will be drawn into this fictional world that is a mix of historical facts.

The controls have very much improved; being much more interactive this time around; you will find yourself sometimes missing ques to push certain buttons during cutscences. The voice acting is near perfect, with some of the better lip syncing thus far on this generation of consoles. There is also more incentive to explore the city this time around, with discoveries of chests filled with money, shops to upgrade and errands to run.

The fighting is one of my favorite improvements this time around, not only is there more variety of moves with your sword, but disarming guards and killing them with their weapon is very entertaining. Also very important was the add-on of punching combinations, grabbing guards and head butting, or even throwing guards off ledges! The new vanish system is much more realistic this time around; blending in with the crowds or hiring prostitutes to distract guards just adds to the "fun factor" of interactive game play. You are much more intertwined with the story this time, feeling like a mix of role playing and adventure!

Regardless if you've played the first Assassins Creed or not, you will pick up the controls fairly easy with this one. It's a holiday title that will NOT disappoint, with a campaign stretching over 40 hours long, multiple missions and exploration... You'll discover hours have past and it's already time to go to bed. Don't just take my word for it, rent or purchase it for yourself!

UPDATE 11/20/09

I've had a couple more days and about 8 more hours of game play added to my Creed time and I'm just astonished with everything they've added to this game. It just amazes me that you even have an option of going to a tailor and changes the appearance of your assassin clothes! I have Ezio wearing black now, and as I've said before this game pushes the interactive buttom more than once. I also finally had the pleasure of killing two guards with two blades, and I it's literally as bad ass as everyone has previously stated... Pulling guards off ledges is awesome, and they've even added a Splinter Cell Element to the game of picking up dead guards and hiding them in a different location!

All the side missions keep this game from ever getting repetitive, and another awesome feature is granting you the ability to control a city in terms of reconstruction and wealth... Depending how you delegate your cash, you can upgrade shops and take anyway from 5 - 15% of the profit. Giving you another task of taking earnings and moving them to a different location. Exploration never gets boring, as there are plenty of things to find, such as feathers, chests, and/or stealing from others... Also when you are notorious and on high look out from guards, you can now lower your wanted level by tearing down posters, killing guards in the area or bribing others to not talk about you.

I absolutely love this game, I also own MW2 and I haven't played it in the past two days because I'm having so much fun with AC2... BTW, they also added underground Assassin tombs to be explored under the city, and it's so reminiscent of Prince of Persia, Sands of Time that it adds to this games value!

Splinter Cell Double Agent - Xbox
Splinter Cell Double Agent - Xbox
Price: $17.57
66 used & new from $3.11

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sequel for Chaos Theory, and surpasses 360 version, October 22, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Can you say Chaos Theory part 2! I played the 360 version of this game about 5 times now, and I do enjoy playing it, but after I finally got my hands on this version I doubt I will go back and play the other. I was under the impression that both games were the exact same, with one just being in high definition. I was quick to realize they are nothing alike, with the exception of a few same cut scenes.

If you enjoyed playing Chaos Theory; then you will feel very comfortable with the controls and be impressed by the presentation.

I have to take my hat off to the creators in Montreal for creating this version, as opposed to the creators that made the 360 version in Shanghai. Even the way the story is depicted in this version is superior to its counterpart.

Also a very important aspect of the game is the training that is designed to help new comers to the series learn the controls; this is a feature that isn't introduced in 360 version, and I feel was a missing ingredient in the 360's success. I just love how the game picked up where Chaos Theory left off though, in anticipation for the release of Conviction, I've been playing through all the splinter cells to satisfy my urge, and I'm very excited I now have a game so similar to its predecessor.

Every level is designed differently that the 360 version, giving you all the tools and gadgets you need. You get to do all the bad ass moves that Sam Fisher has always done: Hanging upside down snapping necks, doing splits in narrow hallways, and the exposure HUD that displays your noise and exposure in the light is very similar to Chaos Theory. The Dolby Digit sound is very good for an original Xbox game, but the presentation is just about the same as CT was.

Very fun and entertaining game, definitely recommended for fans of the series, you will not be disappointed. If you are a new comers to the series, then this a must buy as well, with the well thought out training course, you'll figure out the controls very quickly.

Need For Speed Shift
Need For Speed Shift
Offered by NinjaX+
Price: $19.93
107 used & new from $4.68

3.0 out of 5 stars Need for Seriousness, October 2, 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Need For Speed Shift (Video Game)
At first I put in shift with every intention of not likely it, but several hours later I found myself firing the game back with different intention... to have an adrenaline fueled excitement race behind the wheel! Many months ago, I was just another nay saver, posting negative comments about the series shifting in the wrong direction. It's definitely fair now to retract my previous statement, as I always seem to do with this series (Refer to my review on Pro Street). They did a wonderful job transforming an arcade series into a full pledged simulated racer.

I've played every single racer that has been released on the next-gen consoles, and I can't even count how many dating back to last generation. In my honest opinion, Need for Speed Shift's new cockpit view is hands-down the most exhilarating and realistic experience that you would have behind the wheels of a car. From the shaking of the car, the heavy breathing of you as the driver, and best of all the disorientation that is experienced when slamming into a wall over 100 mph. The graphics are also the best in the series, with a great polish over vivid colors, plush textures and practically no frame rate issues. I gave shift 4 stars for entertainment value because it simply is very entertaining. However I gave it 3 stars in over all because of some minor set backs that don't entirely bring the games value down, but don't help very much in the over all dept.

My grips with the game come in random fashions: 1. Instant relay is somewhat lack-luster, with poor camera movement and excitement, though kind in mind the series has really never had replays, except for Underground 2. 2. Customizations have dumb down too much, this coming from a series that invented the "auto-sculpt" in Carbon. 3. Lack of visualization in the menus, before the series offered a "photo mode", to get an overview of the car, but that has been taken away by far.

So all in all, this is a solid title with plenty of replay value for the time being. Now sure how shift will hold up once Forza 3 and GT 5 are released, but it definitely fills the void for the time being. This game falls somewhere in-between the hardcore simulation and the casual arcade racers. If you are open-minded and prefer to play both types of racers, the Shift is worth your time. However, if you a junkie for tuning cars and customization of engine parts, then this game may not be for you... just remember to have fun with this game, that's what it was created for!

Dirt 2 - Xbox 360
Dirt 2 - Xbox 360
Offered by Legendary Games
Price: $59.99
29 used & new from $10.04

4.0 out of 5 stars Improved in every which way!, September 14, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dirt 2 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
At first I was hesitant to purchase this game after the disappointment that Fuel was, but after a couple of races I was completely hooked for many hours! Whether you are looking for solid single player game, or swapping paint in multiple online matches, then this off road adrenaline rush is for you! First off the graphics are amazingly better than the first Dirt; I was very impressed with the overall presentation of this game. There are practically no frame rate issues, with smooth textures, and a fluid camera movement to top off this wonderfully entertaining sequel. The user friendly navigation menu sets a good tone from the get go, whereas you placed inside your very own RV that you use to travel throughout all the locations you race in the world. You select your own Dirt tour, choose online matches, view stats, and watch extras all within the RV. You can also step outside to view cars and trucks you have purchased, or wish to purchase. You also can view news and change options outside. There are plenty of liveries to unlock and customize you rides with, they also gave you the option of horns, dashboard toys, and windshield decoration such as: Dice, Shoes, hanging avatars...

The in-game play is very much improved, but something to note is that this is not a fully simulated racer. If you cup of tea is games like Forza and GT, then this title will pretty much be hit or miss. But if you enjoyed previous titles like Grid or even Fuel, then you will think this is Codemasters best work to date. The physics of the game are on point, with full damage, and rewind time setting to take you back to the track after you completely totally one of your rides. All the colors pop in this game and nothing is better than watching a replay on a track that you flew through without taking on any damage. The camera work that is delivered in replays make them very entertaining to watch, and the inside view when racing makes it even sweeter. The AI racers are aggressive and will not lay down for you to just overtake, be prepared for a lot of bumping and rubbing in these races, but that definitely adds to the fun factor.

If you are a follow of X games, then you will enjoy that many pro racers lent their voices for the game. You will make a lot of friends along your way to becoming a recognizable face in the sport. You will find your self going head to head with racers like Dave Mirra, a lot of fun hearing them tell you to watch it after you give them a good hit from behind!

All and all this is pretty much a 4-5 star game, with high replay value, and a solid online feature; I believe this game is well worth the $60.00 it is priced at. You will find yourself playing this game for many hours, not just for the actually play, but also watching the majority of instant replays that follow after you completed a race. Good job Codemasters, thank you for putting out another title that puts you back in my good graces.

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory - Xbox
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory - Xbox
Offered by Media-Recovery
Price: $34.95
160 used & new from $0.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Very addicting game! 2009 Review, August 17, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
If you were to look over my past reviews, you will see I have never rated a game higher than 4 stars, but I feel obliged to make Chaos Theory my first! it's strange that the only game I have ever rated with 5 stars, just so happens to be an original xbox game... Does that go to show they don't make video games like they use to?

About a month ago I beat Splinter Cell Double Agent on the xbox 360 for a second time to experience the branching storylines, and though I enjoyed the entire game, I couldn't help but notice it felt like the weakest in the series. I was excited in completed it in excitment for the release of Conviction in the fall. Unfortunately that title was once again pushed back until March of 2010, and left me lingering with the urge to play another stealth game.

I recall seeing Choas theory available for download through Xbox live, but I was reluctant to purchase it because I am very keen in owning the original artwork and casing of a video game. I was lucky enough to grab a copy of this game at a local store "second spin", that buys, sells, and trades used: Cd's, dvd's and video games. Only costing me $7.99, I was very happy to go home and play through this game, since it's been 4-5 years since i last played it when I owned the original Xbox.

When I finally got into the game, I was amazed how good the graphics looked, being it's not a next-gen video game. To my amazement, Chaos Theory rates higher than Double Agent, which was release for the next-gen console. I can't believe how much fun this game is, there is seriously not one pet-peeve I have with this game, there isn't any con's that I can think of, besides the fact that I maybe have played it for too many hours in a row! Needless to say, but I definitely found my stealth game to keep me busy until Convictions release. For the past couple days I haven't even cared to play any other games in my libriay, I'm simply addicted to Chaos Theory, and I think it's safe to say that up-to-date, this title is the best in the series!

If you are looking to play one of the best stealth out in the market, don't hesitate to grab Chaos theory, not to mention it gives you the option of being stealth or going through the levels full assualt! You can even do a little of both if you'd like... You can sneek around the guards with no alerts, maybe knock out a few on the way to your objective, or you can equip your assualt rifle and make a mess along the way. There are just so many cool gadgets, and ways to approach an situation that the replay value of this game is unheard of with other creators. You can hang upside down and snap an enemy neck as they walk by, you can do the splits in the middle of a hallway and drop down on an enemy as they walk by, you can short out the lights and creep behind them as they investigate, you can pick up their unconcious bodies and hide them in a shadowed area, so you are not made. I can go on and on, but it's better if you just go pick up this classic title and enjoy hours of pure entertaiment.

Chaos Theory was one of those rare games that was years ahead of it's time.

Fight Night Round 4 - Xbox 360
Fight Night Round 4 - Xbox 360
Offered by DealTavern
Price: $25.99
90 used & new from $3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars The anticipation is over, June 25, 2009
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Does EA have the capability to introduce new features in games, without taking away from elements that made previous titles great? More and more often it seems like EA keeps taking it's most popular titles, and send them rolling down hill. I'm not saying FNR4 is a bad game, but my first impressions, and hours after playing seem unstatisfied

The graphics of course are very much improved, with new physics displaying real life damage, and flexing when the fighter is throwing punches. One set back with the presentation is the fighters just seem too cartoonish at times, and no matter that round it is, it seems like each fighter just finished a 20 mile run. They just look too shiny, and thus adds to the cartoon effect.

The sound is exactly what your use to if you played the previous titles in the series, really nothing new here. Except they did a wonderful jon with the soundtrack, I would have to say this is the best EA trax mix we've heard to date in the series.

The fighting is the part that bugs me the most. There are many things that make in the ring a great experience, but 2 elements completely ruined it for me. 1. What is the deal with the foot movement? Remember in Round 3 when you could circle around your opponents, and keep a very fluid movement? Not in Round 4, it's as if your fighter is boxing in aradillo boots! i couldn't believe there wasn't a smooth movement involved at all, no matter how quick I double tapped the left analog stick, he would barley move. 2. The button configuration, EA took the ability away to pop shots off with the buttons, wtf?!?! I hate the total punch control, there is nothing realistic about it, and it has a delay to boot. People can't talk to me about it being realistic; I've been boxing for nearly a decade now, and I can vouch that if you are a pro boxer, I can promise you popping off a quick punch combo is just as easy as popping the buttons. At least they are lined up to the left and right, so you have a sense of which is left and right hand.

Other ring features are also subpar in my eyes. Like when you clinch now, there is no way to break the clinch, both guys just stand completely still in the middle of the ring and are released after about 10 seconds. Come on, is each clinch really going to play out the same??? The corner game is the other feature that totally let me down. After Round 3 where you can manually heal your guy, it is now replaced with a point system. How does that feed into realism? Not only that, but you are't even shown your opponents corner so you can see what kind of damage you've inflicted on them... The new stand up feature is a nice touch, leaning left to right with the left stick and standing straight up with the right stick. Also the punches don't feel all that strong, which brings me to the KNock out Replay... After bragging on and on of how they fixed this so that it wasn't as repeitive as Round 3, they didn't? The final knock out punch doesn't even match the booming sound when replayed, it's off and thus ruins the full relay experience, also at times the glove didn't even fully connect.

Finally the legacy mode... Isn't great, but isn't bad neither. You have te option to create a fighter or if you have the Xbox Vision Camera, you can take a photo and download your self into the game. I took the photo, but the download takes a few minutes to process. Also be prepared to be patient when going through all the customizations. For every one thing you change, it has the load to the haircut, or change of shorts, for every one thing you change, you are waiting a few seconds in-between. I felt this threw off the flow of the game, also the navigation throughout legacy isn't the best, why they feel they need to put so much out there to confuse us on what to do will always boggle me. Why they even give an option to simluate a fight rather than acually fight is beyond me.

All and all i didn't find myself as impressed and as entertained as I was when Round 3 came out years ago. As previously stated, they gave us many new options, but took away from small features like believable foot movement, or being able to change the haircut you gave your fighter when creating him. I was lucky enough not to pay for this game, as I traded in selected titles at gamestop to get Round 4 for free, had I have paid $[...] bucks I would have felt cheated. Some people will disagree with me, but I also think many will agree with me that they screwed up when it comes to configuration, good job EA, you probably lost many loyal fans once again.

UPDATE 08/25/09

So it's been 2 months since the release of this game, and I finally went back and started playing it again within the past couple weeks. Let me state for the record that I retract th3e majority of my previous statements. I have finally come to appreciate the new total punch controls, and I honestly feel like I wont even use the buttons when the patch is uploaded.

I think I spent too much time complaining about the change, that I didn't take enough time to really enjoy it for what it was. I was too set in my ways of "button mashings", and I just wanted round 4 to be just like 3 with a new paint job. I'm so relieved that I've come to my senses, and I can honestly state that the new total punch control is definitely the most intuitive play for the sweet science. I'm still not very fond of the cartoonish look of the boxers, but you can't neglect that they've incorporated all aspects of what happens in the ring realisticlly. So as I stated, I retract pretty much everything that I previously stated about the game, and if I coule re rate this game, i would give it 4/2 stars!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 1, 2009 3:23 PM PDT