Profile for Phillip Wells > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 16

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Phillip Wells RSS Feed (Las Vegas, NV)

Page: 1 | 2
Les Miserables: The 25th Anniversary Concert [Blu-ray]
Les Miserables: The 25th Anniversary Concert [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Roger Allam
Price: $13.99
31 used & new from $9.90

3.0 out of 5 stars I wish they would put the 10th Anniversary Concert on Blu Ray, March 3, 2011
So I am a huge fan of this show, I have multiple recordings and for years loved watching the 10th Anniversary Dream Cast concert. I was so excited when I saw this was coming on Blu Ray and I bought it without even watching any previews or reading any reviews of the actual London concert.

Is it a good concert? Yes. The staging is impressive and the Blu Ray treatment gives you flawless video and audio quality. The performances are good but nothing like the stellar performances of the Dream Cast.

There are a few notable exceptions, I will keep this disc and treasure it for Lea Salongas performance as Fantine. Her pristine voice and great acting ability knock her performances out of the park. A great treat to see her 15 years after the Dream Cast going from Eponine to Fantine . And speaking of the Eponine, Samantha Barks did an amazing job in that role. She was completely unknown to me before this and had huge shoes to fill in my mind and to my shock and immense pleasure she did just that. The last note in On My Own had me standing up and cheering. I won't say she is better than Lea Salonga in that role but she absolutely holds her own.

Nick Jonas is a complete distraction in this show. His Marius has none of the depth that previous performers have given that role. His singing skills are not up to par with the material. Being fair though he did do a DECENT job on Empty Chairs at Empty Tables, but it no way has the impact that the song normally has on me. He brings down many of rousing anthems and really keeps them from reaching the soaring heights they normally would like. One Day More is the song most affected by his lackluster performance but Red and Black and Do You Hear The People Sing are equally watered down.

There is a saving grace on this disc and that is the finale after the show ends. They bring back the original 1985 cast for One Day More and it had me leaping out of my seat. Also the original Valjean sing Bring Him Home with his contemporary was quite stirring. Having Michael Ball on the stage reprising his role as Marius reminded me how it should have been.

There are some things on this disc that are magical and worth owning but as a whole it was flawed in my opinion.

So the end result is this, I will be keeping the blu ray for Lea Salonga and Samantha Banks performances however I will also be ordering the 10th Anniversary DVD which has finally been re-released after being out of print for many years.

My wish as I said in the title of this review is that the 10th Anniversary Concert got the blu ray treatment.
Comment Comments (37) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 29, 2014 8:12 AM PST

What's Up Doc? [Blu-ray]
What's Up Doc? [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Barbra Streisand
Price: $13.89
20 used & new from $12.07

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth The Cost Of The Blu Ray, August 27, 2010
This review is from: What's Up Doc? [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Okay, so I don't do alot of reviews on amazon but after watching this Blu Ray I just had to write one. First off I am a huge Streisand fan and have all of her films on DVD and the more recent releases like the concerts I have on Blu Ray.

While Whats Up Doc is my favorite comedy of Barbras I didn't run out and buy it on Blu Ray the day it came out. I have it on DVD, I have an upscaling DVD player, I saw no need to waste the money. I had a friend give me a $20 gift card for Best Buy and yesterday decided to buy the Blu Ray. I was aware that it was exactly the same as the DVD, no extra bonus features at all HOWEVER...I was shocked by the picture quality. They did an amazing job transferring this film. The colors are so rich and vibrant, there is no film grain on the picture that can sometimes happen when converting older movies to 1080p. It is GORGEOUS. I have never seen it look better.

I am so pleased that I decided to make this purchase. The Blu Ray ended up costing me $3 at Best Buy after the gift card and then I went and sold my original DVD here on amazon for $6. All is well that ends well.

If you are going to buy this Blu Ray just for the upgrade in picture quality...DO IT. You wont be disappointed

The reason I gave it 4 stars was because there were no extra features on the Blu Ray

Family Guy: Something Something Something Dark Side [Blu-ray]
Family Guy: Something Something Something Dark Side [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Seth MacFarlane
Offered by Mike's DVDs and Blu Rays
Price: $7.99
118 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Something just not that funny, December 24, 2009
Okay, so I went out and bought this on blu ray the day it came out because I LOVED Blue Harvest. I am a moderate fan of Family Guy and like it's creator I also grew up with Star Wars. Maybe I had my expectations too high but I thought this was crap compared to the first one. I knew it was 54 minutes going into it, that didn't bother me. It just lacked the comedy of Blue Harvest. It was almost boring to watch. The table read on the bonus features was hastily shot and you cant even see all the cast members. This disc was not worth the 20 bux I paid for it on sale. Wait for it on TV unless you are a die hard Family Guy or Star Wars fan. Too many strikes against it, bad menus, full screen presentation (WTF?!), lack of content and lack of COMEDY.

Official Book Club Selection: A Memoir According to Kathy Griffin
Official Book Club Selection: A Memoir According to Kathy Griffin
by Kathy Griffin
400 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!!! I bought the book and audio version, September 10, 2009
Well, I bought Kathy's book yesterday and I stayed up all night reading it. Yes, I am a big fan of hers and so perhaps I am a little biased but why would you even be looking at this book if you weren't a fan of hers?

She successfully walks the line between serious autobiography and comedic book. Parts of it will rip your heart out while others will make you laugh out loud. I can't say that I love her more now than I did before but I do understand her a bit more. I can't wait to see her live again.

Since she talks so much in her act about her celebrity encounters don't expect any amazing revelations there. There were a few new stories (Steve Martin etc.) but for the most part it really chronicles her entire life and career and shows how hard she worked and the insanity she put up with to get to where she is now. Great stories about her early years with the Groundlings and her friends Phil Hartman, Jon Lovitz, Lisa Kudrow, Julia Sweeney, Jeaneane Garofolo, Margaret Cho and more. You are going to learn where and why she has the work ethic that she does. She never sold out, she did do it all her way.

I loved the book, like I said I read it in about 6 hours cover to cover. My only complaint is that there were no color pictures in the book like most typical biographies.

Also as an ex Los Angelino is was nice to hear her talking about my old stomping in grounds in West Hollywood and her adventures there. I also jumped on the back of a bike at the Carl's Jr on La Brea and Santa Monica OMG!!! Wonder if we banged the same guy!! HAH!!

BUY THE BOOK!!!

The Sweet Escape
The Sweet Escape
Price: $4.99
221 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Rushed Product, December 5, 2006
This review is from: The Sweet Escape (Audio CD)
I bought this CD without listening to a single song first because I loved the last one so much. Boy was I dissapointed! Aside from a catchy opening track the rest of the CD left me bored. Don't get me wrong, this isn't bad CD, its just not a good one. Nothing overtly original, to me it sound likes songs that were rejected from the pussycat dolls CD. I dont know what happened between this new CD and the last one, but I think Gwen needs to go back to those old producers, or just take more time making a great album instead of rushing one out.

Just my opinion
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 5, 2006 9:04 PM PST

Sony DVPNS75H Single Disc Upscaling DVD Player
Sony DVPNS75H Single Disc Upscaling DVD Player
5 used & new from $52.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't Believe The Hype, December 5, 2006
I went out and bought this player because I wanted the best HD picture possible on my Sony 42" HDTV. I already have a Sony Progressive Scan DVD player thats about a year old but I wanted to see what kind of difference there was between the two. I got this DVD player home, connected it through the HDMI cable (not included) and was SHOCKED. I had both players hooked up at the same time and was very accurately able to tell the difference after watching the same scene from the same movie on both player (the movie was superman returns) . NONE. It looked exactly the same with no noticable difference. I was extremely dissapointed.

I think like most of you I am hesitant to start investing in blu-ray or HDDVD until one difinitive standard is chosen. I guess I am just gonna have to wait til next xmas and hopefully the prices fall on one of these formats.

Bottom line, Sony is a great product. If you have some ancient DVD player and are looking to modernize it until a standard is chosen for High Def DVD, this is a great player especially for the price. If you are like me and already have a great standard DVD player, you won't notice a difference on this one. Don't waste your money.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2006 8:48 AM PST

Married... with Children: Season 4
Married... with Children: Season 4
DVD ~ Ed O'Neill
Offered by Monkey Gamez Media
Price: $7.53
94 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars BAD BAD BAD, November 27, 2006
I am so tired of buying TV shows on DVD just to get the edited syndicated versions. The reason I bought this DVD set was for the Sam Kinison episodes Its A Bundyful Life. I have an old vhs tape of this show and have seen it dozens of times, I know most of the lines, so I could tell when lines were missing. I love the show and it deserves better treatment than this. How sad.

The Best of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (10 Episode Collector's Edition)
DVD ~ John Erwin
Offered by mirmedia_movies_and_music
Price: $9.44
79 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I WAS PLEASANTLY SURPRISED, January 2, 2006
I bought this DVD last night after a month or so of debating whether to buy the whole first season or the best of disc. I was dissapointed in the past with other cartoons from my youth on DVD not holding up, the stories and animation were extrememly primitive (most notably some of the earlier SuperFriends episodes).

I was so pleasantly surpised when I popped in the first disc of this best of and watched a few episodes. First off the DVD is extremely well done, the menus and and packaging are TOP NOTCH. The actual transfer of the episodes are PRISTINE. I have a new 42" Sony HDTV and it looks beautiful on there. The sound is great as well. I found the animation to be acceptable and the original stories to even hold my interest as an adult. I now regret not getting the entire season 1 on DVD. I probably will and just give this other one away as a gift.

GOOD JOB!

Cher: Extravaganza Live at the Mirage 1991
Cher: Extravaganza Live at the Mirage 1991
DVD ~ Cher
Offered by UltimateDiscountsCANADA
Price: $22.49
19 used & new from $5.31

2.0 out of 5 stars DO WHAT?, October 19, 2005
Okay, first they cut the hell out of the show when the put in on VHS and now they are cutting it even more on DVD. Where is Many Rivers To Cross, Tougher Than The Rest, Hold On, Take It To The Limit? I pray the tracklisting is an error and we will get the full concert on DVD.

By Myself: The Songs of Judy Garland
By Myself: The Songs of Judy Garland
Price: $15.99
66 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Even Barbra has recorded bad CD's so don't feel bad, October 11, 2005
I love Linda Eder. I own all of her solo CD's and her X-Mas DVD. All of it is EXCELLENT! She astounds me when she sings, gives me chills everytime. I have been anxiously awating this CD since I first read about it months ago on Linda's website. I also love Judy Garland and own most of her catalog. I knew Linda was one of the few singers who could really do justice to the work, what went wrong?

The CD is beautfully produced but the heart is not there. She never really belts out anything, maybe that was intentional on her part. In the past when Linda has honored other artists work like with Barbra Streisand's Don't Rain On My Parade she stays very true to the original, that doesn't happen here. The singing is high and fluttery, never strong and forceful. Judy wasn't a shrinking violet, her strength came out in her voice, Linda lost that completely. This CD could have been great, it just bored me and made me long for the originals. Im sorry to say that but it is truly my review.

Page: 1 | 2