ARRAY(0xa9e45060)

Top Reviewer Ranking: 330

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Holly "Book addict" RSS Feed (Indiana, USA)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
ACORN Women's New Spa Thong Slipper Natural,Large 8-9 M US
ACORN Women's New Spa Thong Slipper Natural,Large 8-9 M US
Price: Click here to see our price
10 used & new from $25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Gives new meaning to the term "Happy Feet", April 16, 2014
I have been searching for a new slipper to where during the warmer, summer months and hadn't found anything I was willing to try until I ran across these. I LOVE these slippers and have promptly thrown my old ones in the trash.

Pros:

1) Try to size. I wear a size 9 shoe and order the slipper in an 8-9 and they fit perfectly.
2) Contoured back means my heel doesn't slip around
3) Very comfortable, plush fabric covering the entire slipper
4) Love the rubber sole. I have planters fasciitis and having the rubber sole gives enough support that it helps keep it under control
5) The piece that goes between the toes is very, very comfortable and non-irritating
6) Very reasonable price

Cons: None

Music Speaks
Music Speaks
Price: $9.99
48 used & new from $3.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Her voice shines through, April 14, 2014
This review is from: Music Speaks (Audio CD)
I have noticed over the years that a singer does well on American Idol but when their CD comes out, it appears they have been "handled" and lose what made them interesting and unique. Their look is polished up and the album seems like many other album being produced today with over-done everything. I hate that an artist I came to love is no longer recognizable to me and has lost their "something special".

Fortunately, with Candice Glover, that doesn't appear to have happened. I do think that an entire album of love songs is a bit much and would have liked lyrics beyond "I love you and you left me", but what is here is good. Her voice is given the opportunity to shine with simple accompaniments being the rule rather than the exception. She is at her best when the voice is front and center and the piano/guitar/other acoustical instrument is in the background and compliments rather than overpowers. That has largely been accomplished here.

Some of the tracks I like better than others which isn't unusual but there is only one track I dislike enough to punch the skip button. Most are very, very good and I find a couple of the tracks circulating in my head throughout the day. Track 4 is that way and I find myself hearing the song and her lovely voice even when not actually listening to the music.

I would probably give the album a high 4-stars, but since she has managed to release an album that actually sounds like her, I have to give a bonus star for that alone. I don't know how much control she had over this, but someone, somewhere (and maybe Candice herself) did something right. Loved her from the beginning of the season and I am so very happy to be able to listen to her gorgeous voice at will.

Declutter Your Life: Quick and Easy Tips for Busy People
Declutter Your Life: Quick and Easy Tips for Busy People
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource for decluttering, April 14, 2014
Whether you are just starting out on your journey of de-cluttering or well down the path, this book has something to offer everyone. The book is short and sweet at only 99 pages and covers both the "why" and the "how" of de-cluttering.

For people who are just starting the journey, I am particularly enthused about the author dealing with the "why" portion of de-cluttering. If you look at the table of contents, the first three sections are dedicated to why de-cluttering is so important. The remaining four sections are more the "how to" instructions for the best way to tackle the project regardless of how much or little you need to do.

For people who are already on the journey, it is a motivational/reinforcing book especially the early chapters. It also gives a few different twists than I have seen previously on the implementation steps. Very practical and useful.

I would encourage you to take a look at the table of contents available via the "look inside this book" feature. It will help you better understand the contents as it is very detailed.

As far as my own journey, I have been walking this road for about fifteen years now. I think I have things pretty well under control and then life throws a curve which creates another need for me to de-clutter. Mostly this has been due to the constantly changing health situation of my elderly parents. They have downsized multiple times over the past three years and I have had responsibility for keeping or getting rid of almost everything they owned. At each step, there has been a huge influx of "stuff" that I must make decisions about and then take action

There are two thoughts I have, one if which is a tad different from the author. I have found it helpful to de-clutter the entire house prior to deciding on storage solutions for what remains. If you do her steps perfectly, the storage can be determined as soon as a room is finished but I don't do the steps perfectly. I end up moving things around the house as I realize that where I have stored things isn't necessarily the optimal location. If I hold off purchasing storage solutions until the I am finished, I am more likely to buy the right things.

The second thought is that the process takes me waaaaaaaay longer than I think it will and is very iterative. The end results are wonderful and I get motivated by the improvement I see as I go, but this isn't something that I can do over a few weekends. If you live alone, it might go faster but I have to work with other family members and get their buy in on de-cluttering and that can be a slow, slow process.

Joy Mangano Huggable Hangers 60-brass Hangers,12 Clips & 12 Hooks White Diamond
Joy Mangano Huggable Hangers 60-brass Hangers,12 Clips & 12 Hooks White Diamond

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, April 12, 2014
I am in the process of decluttering and organizing and one of the items I decided to purchase as I am doing this, is matching hangers for the master closet. I purchased 156 of these hangers and each one arrived well-packed, undamaged, and in perfect condition. I had purchased 10 from a local store and used them prior to making this larger commitment, and I am please with the original ten which I have been using for a while as well as the new ones.

The hangers are excellent for hanging my husband's work pants and they don't fall off this hanger. (Note: even the dry cleaners hangs them separately from the other items in their business since they must be handled carefully or they fall off.) His long sleeve button-down work shirts fit well on the hanger and his polos and more casual shirts do too. He also has a bad habit of pulling the shirt off the hanger and the wire hangers were bent and broken with the empty hangers at a crazy angle which looked awful. His polo shirts also no longer have the pointy shoulder thing as the hanger is contoured correctly and the shirts lay right. I have fleece jackets, turtle-neck sweaters, t-shirts, jeans, dress pants on them and everything works beautifully.

In addition, the aesthetics of the closet are wonderful. I walk in and everything looks so much more organized even though I just changed the hangers. When I had a mixture of wire hangers, plastic tube hangers, and clear plastic ones, everything looked messy. As I get older, the pleasure of having things neat and orderly is becoming more important to me. This was a relatively small investment and the pay-off is high.

Chestnut Street
Chestnut Street
by Maeve Binchy
Price: $16.27

5.0 out of 5 stars All I can say is "wow", April 5, 2014
This review is from: Chestnut Street (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Maeve Binchy is an author who has had a wide following for years, and I am one of her most loyal fans. Every time I picked up a book by her that I had not read, I was immediately struck by what a wonderful gift she had for making the ordinary, fascinating. I have also noticed that when talking about books with various friends over the years, everyone loves her work, even with a wide range of reading tastes among us.

Ms Binchy passed away in July of 2012 and many of us who loved her work were greatly saddened by this loss. A new book was published in November of that year which everyone was assuming would be the last. While I enjoyed it, I didn't feel it had the polish of her previous works. Low and behold, that novel wasn't her final publication as her husband, Gordon Snell, collected together short stories that she had hoped would one day be a book but had never been published. Her husband had the following to say, "Maeve wrote the stories over several decades, reflecting the city and people of the moment - always with the idea of one day making them into a collection with Chestnut Street as its centre. I am very pleased with the way her editors have now gathered them together as she intended, to make this delightful new Maeve Binchy book Chestnut Street."

It was with eager anticipation and also with dread that I opened the first pages of this collection and began reading. What I found inside was a treasure trove of pure Binchy magic and it is easily one of my favorite Maeve Bindhy works. That is saying quite a lot as I am not a fan of short stories. I prefer the novel format with its ability to develop characters and a storyline that allows me to immerse myself in another world. Short stories usually leave me unsettled as I feel shortchanged when I come abruptly to the end of a narrative I wanted to see continued. There are only two writers I find myself enjoying their short stories and Maeve Binchy is one of those writers. Interestingly enough, the other writer is Patrick Taylor, who is also Irish.

This collection of 36 shorts stories is like finding 36 small pearls, each one completely formed and luminescent. She had the unique ability to draw me in with the first sentence and keep me in the palm of her hand for the duration whether it be a four hundred page novel or a two page short story. This collection is written about a group of folks who live on a fictional street in Dublin and the characters are only loosely connected if they are connected at all. Some of the stories are pure entertainment and some are life lessons presented as interesting stories. There actually is a lot of great wisdom about leading a successful and fulfilled life without the reader realizing how deep some of the messages are until the story comes to a close. I loved, loved, loved this book and am excited for others to be able to partake of the joys of an outstanding body work by this incredible author.

Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display with Next-Gen Built-in Light, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers
Price: $119.00
6 used & new from $95.00

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite e-reader, April 3, 2014
I had the Kindle 2nd generation and when it gave up the ghost, I purchased the Kindle Keyboard (no longer available). Over the years I have owned or used both of those devices along with the Kindle Basic, the Kindle Touch, and the first generation Paperwhite.

While I have loved them all, I believe this latest Paperwhite is my favorite. While I like the manual page-forward and page-backward features of the Kindle Keyboard better than just the tapping you do on this one, that is the only feature that I miss from any of the older models.

I have used the first generation Paperwhite and love it but decided to go ahead and get this newer one due to the improved contrast of the screen/text. As I am getting older and my eyes aren't quite as sharp, the improved contrast really is very helpful.

If you have never used an e-reader, I would encourage you to go this route if you are primarily reading books. This price is a bargain and the ability to increase or decrease the font size at will, the ability to increase or decrease the brightness of the screen, and the non-LCD screen is a huge plus in my opinion since it allows you to read in all kinds of light, including in direct sunlight. I was one of those people who "loved the smell and feel of paper books". I never thought I would use an e-reader except for travelling when I wanted the convenience of the small size so I didn't take a suitcase of books along on every trip. Over time, I have come to prefer the Kindle over paper books. It has reached the point that I will purchase my own e-copy rather than borrowing a paper copy of the same book from a friend.

Easy on the eyes, easy to hold (people with arthritis should enjoy the light weight), and so, so, so convenient to have multiple books on hand, and easy to purchase more without leaving the comfort of your own living room.

In the Woods
In the Woods
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $8.62

4.0 out of 5 stars Not your usual mystery novel, March 19, 2014
This review is from: In the Woods (Kindle Edition)
When I think of mysteries, what comes to mind most often are the cozy mysteries which I enjoy as a comfort read or suspense/thriller mysteries. This first book by Tana French is neither of these. In my mind, it crosses genres by being both literary fiction as well as a mystery. Louise Penny's books are similar in that way as the mystery drives the plot but the author takes time to flesh out characters and storylines in addition to the central theme.

After glancing at a few of the other reviews prior to writing this, they are totally correct in saying there are actually two mysteries --- one in current time and one in the past but both sharing the same geographical area. One of the mysteries is resolved and tied up very neatly while the other one leaves the reader on slippery ground as the mystery is left unresolved but with some hints at several possible solutions. For me, I actually liked that as it gives me something to ponder and I feel like I was given flexibility to imagine different resolutions. It also tantalized me a bit and motivates me to move on to the second book in the series where the answer may lie (or not).

While I thought the book dragged a bit in the middle and got bogged down which results in a 4-star review rather than a 5-star, it was intriguing, well-written, non-formulaic. All of which add up to the desire to read The Likeness: A Novel which I have downloaded on my Kindle.

Lewis N. Clark Comfort Eye Mask, Navy, One Size
Lewis N. Clark Comfort Eye Mask, Navy, One Size
Price: $8.09
9 used & new from $6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought two of these for air travel, March 18, 2014
My husband and I were taking a red-eye flight across the country and I bought us each one of these to help us sleep while on the plane. I purchased one in navy blue (almost black) and black in order to tell them apart.

The eye mask:
- is very soft, not velour but soft like that and not scratchy
- has a roll of fabric which runs along the bottom of the eye mask; it conforms to the contours of the face to keep light from creeping in from the bottom
- has a very nice, adjustable clasp in the back; you get it adjusted to the right length and never have to adjust it again since it set from that point on (kind of like a seat belt would be in a car).

There are absolutely no negatives that I could find. My husband ended up using it in the hotel room one afternoon as well when he wanted to take a short nap and there were no room-darkening curtains. It worked well and accomplished the goal.

Fruit of the Loom Best Collection™ Men's Fleece Elastic Bottom Pant Large LEGION BLUE HEATHER
Offered by Russell Athletic

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and holds up well, March 18, 2014
I purchased these pants for my elderly father who was in rehab after a fall. The therapists indicated that sweatpants would be ideal since he could move easily in them and get them on and off without dealing with buttons or zippers. He wore them through his time in the rehab hospital and found out he liked them so much, he asked me to order more for him. He likes them better than track pants and because they are true-to-size with elastic around the bottom, I don't have to hem them either which is really nice.

The other thing I have noticed is that they wash well. He will get stains on them which come out with only adding a spritz of stain remover before going in the washer. The color hasn't faded after multiple washings and they look as good as the day I bought them.

Great product.

SkyScan Atomic Wall Clock - 14 Inch Analog
SkyScan Atomic Wall Clock - 14 Inch Analog
Offered by Sygnalz
Price: $32.95
6 used & new from $24.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the clock, March 15, 2014
We purchased this clock for our sun room last fall and here are the positives:

1) numbers against the background are quite crisp and easy to see from across the room
2) while it does "tick" as the second hand moves, it is much quieter than the previous two clocks we had in the room
3) battery is lasting longer than in the previous two clocks
4) automatic shift to and from DST

I noticed other reviewers appear to have had issues with the clock initially setting. In our case, this wasn't a problem. We hung it up and the next time I looked at it, the time was correct. I also love that I don't have to reset it when we go onto and off of DST. I get up in the morning after these shifts in time, and the clock is set correctly.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20