ACDelco Radiators & Heating Components 100 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Shop Men's Watches Cloud Drive Photos nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums belkin All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer wdftv wdftv wdftv  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Kids Halloween
Profile for Holly > Reviews

Holly's Profile

Customer Reviews: 919
Top Reviewer Ranking: 843

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Holly "Book addict" RSS Feed (Indiana, USA)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Clarks Women's Avaleen Lake Black Synthetic 9.5 M US
Clarks Women's Avaleen Lake Black Synthetic 9.5 M US
Offered by What's Hot
Price: $51.49
2 used & new from $44.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite pleased (and a bit surprised), September 17, 2015
I was hesitant to try these as I usually wear a very low heel and these are tall. A friend has a similar style and has talked about how comfortable they are since the platform just elevates the height of the entire foot - the difference between the toe and the heel isn't that great so you don't feel the pressure on the ball of the foot like traditional higher heels.

After purchasing these and wearing these all day, I love them! My friend was absolutely correct and the foot remains in a very neutral position with no pressure on any single part of the foot. The bed of the sandal is slightly sunken in and curved upward toward the outer edge of the shoe, so it cradles the foot. I also appreciate that these shoes come in half sizes. Another brand I tried before only came in whole sizes and the 9 was too short and the 10 too big all over.

The first day I wore these, I had them on for 12 hours and can't believe how comfortable they were! They are nicely styled to go with casual or dressier clothes so I now have a new "go to" pair of black summer shoes.

Note: The metal ring is a burnished brass color. I couldn't really tell from the picture. Even though I usually wear silver jewelry, it looked just fine since the metal isn't shiny.

Clarks Women's Cardy Boot,Black Leather,9.5 M US
Clarks Women's Cardy Boot,Black Leather,9.5 M US
Price: $66.45
3 used & new from $66.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these boots, September 5, 2015
This review is from: Clarks Women's Cardy Boot (Shoes)
I am typically not a fan of dressy boots as I usually find them fairly uncomfortable. I knew if I was going to ever find a boot that I liked and could wear regularly, Clarks was probably the brand for me. I have had success on a regular basis with their shoes over the years. I purchased these last winter and wore them A LOT. I would wear them with leggings, with a dressier short skirt and tights, with a longer flowing midi skirt and they looked right no matter what I wore them with. They were also incredibly comfortable. The heel height and shape is absolutely perfect. I was steady on my feet, the boots are flattering, and I could wear them all day without a problem.

In addition to the great style, comfort, and flexibility these provide, they have also held up very well. They look barely worn and I know they will look great through this upcoming winter. Clarks always come through for me and have been my go-to shoe for years. Now, these have become my go-to boots which I grab constantly. I had another black boot which I only wore a couple of times and realized I would never wear again since these were so much better. I donated the other ones and haven't missed them a bit since they have been gone.

Love Clarks!

Propet Men's Cush N Foot Shoe,Black,10.5 D US
Propet Men's Cush N Foot Shoe,Black,10.5 D US
Price: $61.73
12 used & new from $51.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful slipper, grateful they come in half sizes, September 5, 2015
My father wore out the slippers he purchased many years ago and I have not had any luck finding ones just like them (which is what he wanted) so I have been on a quest for a good replacement. I purchased four different slippers and took them for him to try on. He wasn't happy with any of them. The slippers without any velcro adjustments hurt to put them on and pull off. The ones with the velcro had two or three straps which made them bulky and he couldn't understand how to get them on (he has cognitive impairment due to dementia and strokes). They also were very heavy and even after I had made the adjustments to assure a proper fit, they were bulky and clumsy enough to concern me that they were going to trip him up. We also had issues with the size 10s being too small and the size 11s too large.

After learning from those failures, it helped me narrow my search and I settled on these. The fact they come in half sizes is wonderful since you are more likely to get a proper fit. The one velcro strap is enough give him room to adjust them without being so overly complicated that he can't do it himself. When they are on his feet, the shoe looks slim and well-fitted without bulk or weight so he walks very sure-footed. Even at the age of 91, he still likes to walk (without any walker or cane) so correctly fitting shoes is a must. When I put them on him the first time, his whole face lit up and he had a grin saying "good! comfortable!" He was able to get up and walk about without any change to his walk and he was quite pleased.

He will have these on all of his waking hours - both in his memory care unit and when he goes on outings. These are perfect for both situations and for long periods of time. I will be purchasing a second pair to keep as backup so we don't have to go through this again.

Burt's Bees Lip Balm Multipack, Vanilla Fruit, 0.15 Oz, 4 Count
Burt's Bees Lip Balm Multipack, Vanilla Fruit, 0.15 Oz, 4 Count
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth and soothing, September 4, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Burt's Bees is known for its high-quality items and I have used a foot creme for about two years that I think works very, very well. I hadn't tried the lip balm before but was finding the lip balm I always used when younger doesn't seem to be working well as I get older and my lips get drier.

- is very smooth as it goes on
- my lips feel better immediately upon application
- all the various "flavors" were pleasant. I often find that other lip balms have such a strong flavor that I don't care for them. In this case, it was subtle and I found even the one I found least appealing (the grapefruit) was perfectly fine.
- seems to be staying on for a longer period of time that my previous lip balm

- while stays on longer than what I have been using (and other ones I have been experimenting with), it still needs to be re-applied more often than I would like

TRESemme Salon Professional Volume Blow Dryer
TRESemme Salon Professional Volume Blow Dryer
Price: $24.99
9 used & new from $21.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Great hair dryer - great value, August 27, 2015
I recently purchased this hair dryer and have to say I love it. It works very well, is light enough to be held comfortably, the handle is well-designed, and it has options about heat and power that allow me to tailor the air to what works best for me. I also have found other hair dryers I have used to be so long that you have to keep your arm extended to the point it is uncomfortable to hold for any length of time. That is not the case with this one.

There are three temperature selections - cool, warm, and hot plus a "cool" shot button. It also has high and low air. Two attachments are included and I use the diffuser that came with it rather than needing to purchase an additional one. I have naturally curly hair which I allow to be natural so it can be easy for some blow dryers to create frizz. My preferred setting is hot with low air + the diffuser. It works very well for me and I would buy it again.

Minnetonka Women's Silverthorne Thong Sandal,White,9 M US
Minnetonka Women's Silverthorne Thong Sandal,White,9 M US
Offered by Sheplers
Price: $42.97
6 used & new from $42.97

3.0 out of 5 stars I love the look and comfort, but the shoe is not holding up, August 24, 2015
For years, friends have raved about comfortable Minnetonka shoes are. Since I found this sandal and loved the look, I purchased them with high expectations.

- love the look. they are my most versatile summer shoe.
- comfort. Very comfortable.
- sizing. I usually wear a size 9B and these are a size 9B

- quality of the bed of the shoe

I have worn these quite a bit over the past year, but not enough for the shoes to begin falling apart. The material under the big toe on my right foot started flaking off and showing a very stark white color. Every time I wear them, a bit more comes off (now a little larger than the size of a nickel) and now the same spot on my left foot is starting to flake. Early on, it was limited to directly underneath the toe, so as long as you had the sandal on your foot, it didn't show. Since one of the things I love about summer sandals is the ability to slip them off to get extra comfortable, this was definitely a negative. Now, the flaking is extending all the way to the inside edge of the bed so the white shows even when the sandal is being worn. I am going to try to buy some black nail polish to cover it and see if that helps. The rest of the shoe is wearing exactly as I would expect but unless I can darken the BRIGHT white now showing, they will be unwearable. I will definitely be hesitant to purchase additional shoes from this company that I would plan on wearing daily. Would be fine for less frequent usage, I would think.

Kilt Dead (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery Book 1)
Kilt Dead (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery Book 1)
Price: $4.61

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, traditional cozy mystery - worth a read, August 22, 2015
The interesting cover along with the promise of a Maine setting with a Scottish connection was enough for me to purchase the book a while back. Cozy mysteries are a guilty pleasure of mine and I finally picked this one up when I was looking for a bit of light entertainment.

You can read the plot, etc in the product description to see if the general story appeals. My general impressions of the book is largely very positive.

I knew I was likely in for an entertaining read when I saw the name of the Maine village: Moosetookalook. Just that piece of creativity brought a smile to my face and I had to grin every time I came across it in the text. The mystery doesn't take itself too seriously and that is a big plus. The author understands readers of the genre are looking for an escape read and she delivers. As with any first-in-series book, the characters are introduced and start being fleshed out. I found myself liking the protagonist, which also is a sign of good things to come. The supporting cast is relatively small at this point, but there is a foundation built that will allow other characters to be introduced over time which will allow the books to remain fresh over time.

The book is well-written and the dialogue between characters is smooth and easy. The motive for the murder is believable which is always a big plus. My only disappointment is that the story could take place in any small town - the setting of Maine isn't as fully utilized as I would have liked. The town is well described and easy to visualize, but there is nothing that makes you feel transported to that lovely state.

Bottom Line: Good, very solid start to a cozy mystery series with a lot of potential. A book I would recommend to cozy readers and strong enough to encourage me to continue with the series.

20 Retirement Decisions You Need to Make Right Now
20 Retirement Decisions You Need to Make Right Now
by Ray E. LeVitre
Price: $17.08
57 used & new from $10.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book - some of the best money you will ever spend, July 11, 2015
I worked in the retirement area of a Fortune 500 company for 10 years and all I can say is that I wish all the people I sat down and talked with had read this book! People made all sorts of mistakes by listening to friends, relatives, or financial advisors who steered them wrong. People made irrevocable decisions based upon bad information that sometimes made me want to cry.

"20 Retirement Decisions You Need to Make Now" is a wonderful book that is marketed for folks getting ready to retire. It has explanations about decisions that need to be made at that point. For example: What kind of pension payout stream should you elect? Should you rollover your 401(k) money into an IRA? Should you drop your life insurance policy? He presents all the questions you should ask yourself and thoroughly explains the pros and cons of each option. He does an EXCELLENT job of not steering you in one direction or the other - gives you all the information you need and then lets you make the decision.

While this book (especially the beginning and end) are geared toward the soon-to-be retired reader, I would encourage everyone to read it regardless of where you are in your working career. There is an explanation of investment vehicles, the pitfalls of stock market timing, asset allocation, understanding how financial planners get paid, and other chapters that even the younger worker should read.

I have found that you usually need to read several books to get this much information and many books are written by people who have agendas themselves and the advice is biased. This is one of the best, most complete, and must unbiased books I have ever read. Even with all my years of experience in the field (and getting close to retirement myself), I learned a few things. It can get a bit dry, especially in the middle when investment vehicles are explained, but I can't recommend it highly enough. Sit down and spend a bit of time with this book - it will pay off for you in a big way.

Absolutely excellent!

Beach Town: A Novel
Beach Town: A Novel
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $12.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Middle of the pack for this type of summer read, July 6, 2015
This is one of those light, summer reads that doesn't have a lot of substance and is pretty predictable. While I enjoyed the book and don't regret the time I spent reading it, it doesn't rise above the crowd but it is better than many novels of this genre. There wasn't really anything outstanding (good or bad) and will fade in my memory over the coming weeks. I am happy I borrowed it from the library versus paying, what I believe to be, an inflated price.

Paris Letters
Paris Letters
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly a gem of a book, July 6, 2015
This review is from: Paris Letters (Kindle Edition)
This book should be appealing to many different readers. For the armchair traveler, there are fabulous descriptions of Paris and the challenges of living in a country with a limited grasp of the language. For minimalists, this is the perfect example of letting go of your "stuff" and the freedom that comes from that. For the romantics, there is the love story that everyone hopes for (with a few hiccups, but nothing is perfect!). For the dreamers, here is a woman who has a vision and does what she needs to do to make it happen - chucking the job she no longer finds satisfying to do what her heart is telling her to do.

I loved it from the opening sentence to the final one and found myself totally immersed in the story of this interesting woman. I have the utmost admiration for people who build the life they want to live, and this is such a perfect example of that. The author allows us to go along on her journey and experience it with her, which felt like such a gift.

A book that would lend itself to being picked up for short periods of time, however I found myself wanting to live in her world just a little longer and consumed the narrative in just a few, short days. While some folks may view this as chick-lit or light reading, there is actually a depth to the message if you are open to it. A fun, entertaining read that is also very hopeful and uplifting. I will be recommending it to friends in the coming months.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20