Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Profile for Franz Metcalf > Reviews

Browse

Franz Metcalf's Profile

Customer Reviews: 104

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Franz Metcalf RSS Feed (Los Angeles, CA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
TUDIA Klip Snap On Charging Cable Saver Protector for MagSafe 2 (for MacBook Pro with Retina display) (Gray)
Offered by W2 Corporation
Price: $7.98
2 used & new from $7.01

4.0 out of 5 stars They Work, Even on Thicker Cable, April 5, 2016
I will be factual here, as there is much contradictory information in these reviews. I am a genuine purchaser, having bought a set of these TUDIA clips last month (with my own money, btw; I loathe compensated reviews).

I am using the clips for the power cord of my MacBook Pro, late 2013. But the year hardly matters: the Apple power cords have been almost identical in the aspects that matter for many years. We all want to preserve the ends and these clips will help. They are light, easy to install, and effective, though not perfect.

On the computer end of the cord, the clip works perfectly. Here it scores five stars. It is small and light and it snugs itself right down onto the back end of the Magsafe module that connects to the computer. The clip allows a certain amount of movement but distributes it away from the first quarter inch of cord, thus protecting it with, I would guess, near 100% effectiveness.

On the MagSafe end, where the cord entrers the MagSafe brick, things are not quite as good. The cord is covered with a (not adequately) protective sleeve on the last 3/4" or so and that sleeve prevents the TUDIA clip from being able to attach right up to the brick. The clip thus still allows considerable play at about 1/4" from the brick. But here's the thing: that play still represents only maybe a 30 degree angle of movement and the sleeve is disbursing that movement a bit, as well. So you are not likely, I think, to have your cord break here. The place your cord is going to break is at the outer end of the sleeve where the cord is all of a sudden totally unprotected. The TUDIA compensates for this poor design beautifully. I attach photos of the clips at both ends of the cord. The important photo is the second one, the "MagSafe End" photo. You can see how the clip gets very near to the brick and extends perhaps 2/3" beyond the danger area, distributing any movement safely along its length. No, it doesn't look perfect, but yes, this thing is going to work.

As for size/ease/strength, I've had the clips on nearly a month with a three minute install and absolutely zero maintenance. I've crumpled up my cord into my laptop bag forty times since then and had no worries at all and never had to redo or even tighten the clips.

They don't look perfect, especially on the MagSafe end, but they work and that is what matters to me.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Silicone Baking Mat - Set of 2 Half Sheet (Thick & Large 11 5/8" x 16 1/2") - Non Stick Silicon Liner for Bake Pans & Rolling - Macaron/Pastry/Cookie/Bun/Bread Making - Professional Grade Nonstick
Offered by Velesco
Price: $22.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Quality at a Great Price, February 29, 2016
These are definitely thicker than my ExoPat mats and they look smooth and are working well. A great deal, unless they somehow fall apart.

Cheftopia Stainless Steel EZ Cheese Grater and Lemon Zester with Non-slip Comfort Handle, Green
Offered by Genie Enterprises
Price: $10.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharp and Comfortable, February 29, 2016
This is a great product at a fraction of the fancy name brand price. And Genie sent it to us safely and quickly.

Beethoven: Symphonies Nos. 7,8 & 9 [Blu-ray]
Beethoven: Symphonies Nos. 7,8 & 9 [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Christian Thielemann
Price: $35.06
25 used & new from $25.83

5.0 out of 5 stars As Others have Said: Brilliant, February 3, 2016
Anyone considering purchasing this set should. And you should also read the great reviews here as well as the whole comments thread after Clive Goodwin's review. My thanks to all those who engaged in that wonderfully spirited and instructional conversation!

I'll just add a few words. von Karajan's and the Berliner Philharmoniker's 1977 versions of the 7th and 9th were what I grew up with and it has sometimes been hard for me to appreciate others (at least in the 7th's allegretto and the 9th's "O Freunde!" section). The versions here have at last weaned me from my narrowness. They are just different enough (Thieleman was von Karajan's assistant) to open my ears. And of course they sound magnificent in these new recordings. The visuals are well directed, too: not too much of Thieleman, though he is entertaining (my daughter thinks he looks like a robot). And, as others have said, the companion conversations for each symphony are just as wonderful as the recordings themselves. They are provocative, historically rich, and contain ample excerpts from the recordings to illustrate the points being made. I love them.

All in all, the best Blu-ray I have ever purchased.

LQM® 10.95V 77.5Wh New Laptop Battery For Apple A1382 A1286 (only for Core i7 Early 2011 Late 2011 Mid 2012) MacBook Pro 15" Core i7,Replace:MC721LL/A MC723LL/A MD318LL/A MD322LL/A MD103LL/A MD104LL/A 020-7134-A 661-5844
Offered by AUIO
Price: $46.99
2 used & new from $46.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Winner So Far, February 3, 2016
Mine is working very well. Sorry about GK's unit's performance but mine is giving several hours of power. It's just been a month or so and I haven't done careful testing (the battery is in my daughter's computer), but we've had no problems at all. If things deteriorate, I'll update the review. For now, it's great. It arrived free and early (from marketplace seller AUIO), well packaged, and with tools (which is crucial if you don't already them, due to Apple's odd screws). Build quality looks good (at least visually) and fit was fine. I'm very pleased.

Custom Culinary Gold Label Base, Ham, 1 Pound
Custom Culinary Gold Label Base, Ham, 1 Pound
Price: $28.10
2 used & new from $15.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Be Careful: Multiple Products Linked to These Reviews, February 3, 2016
Amazon: please stop confusing people by combining reviews of multiple items!

Readers: I am reviewing the HAM base.

Okay then, this is really good stuff. I've used other bases (always good quality, no MSG) and this is far and away the hammiest. It is seriously hammy and salty. You just need a smidgeon. I would add that this base is quite smoky—think of it as smoked ham base. Do not be misled by people calling it "porky." It is not porky; it is hammy. And that's the bottom line: the ham flavor is dominant, not the salt flavor. That said, it's highly salty, but that's how it stays fresh in your fridge for months. Just don't season your dish until after adding your ham base and you should be fine.

InSinkErator STP-SS Sink Stopper, Stainless Steel
InSinkErator STP-SS Sink Stopper, Stainless Steel
Price: $10.48
55 used & new from $4.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Product, Exactly as Original, February 3, 2016
Bought from ShowerDoorDirect. Looks to be the real OEM product that lasted 15 years before the gasket went south.

Kettle Glazed Doughnuts
Kettle Glazed Doughnuts

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything about this shop is great: the donuts, September 20, 2015
This review is from: Kettle Glazed Doughnuts
Everything about this shop is great: the donuts, of course, but also the people, the location, even the parking. I particularly love the fritters and anything with blueberry and/or lemon. Totally top notch and somehow the same price as generic donut shops (except the croissant donuts which are great but pricey). Not sure why anyone would go anywhere else.

Fotga Metal External Hand Grip L Bracket for Olympus Om-d E-m5 Em5 Mark Ii Camera
Offered by FOTGA
Price: $25.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligently Engineered and Surprisingly Solid, August 24, 2015
Just arrived today and I am impressed. First, by the fact that it did arrive today, a mere ten days after ordering from China. I am on the West Coast, but still that's great processing and shipping.

More importantly, I'm impressed by the fit and finish. The three parts feel beautifully machined and absolutely solid together. As an example, the L bracket has two protruding short cylinders that fit into receptacles on the bottom plate. They are so precise that the L bracket stays there without using the screw. Of course you still use the screw, but attachment feels really solid and it's really easy to screw on since you can use the other hand to hold the camera, not the bracket.

As you can see in the photos, the bottom plate acts as a giant Acra Swiss plate, as does the L-bracket. This is crucial, of course, and makes your rig the tiniest bit lighter, as you don't need a quick release plate. According to my scale, the entire assembly weighs 115.4 grams. Minus the L-bracket and screw, 90.9 grams. Oh, yes, I can confirm the battery comes out easily with the grip on. The mic and HDMI ports are accesible and the screen can articulate out to about 170 degrees (though beyond 90 degrees it cannot articulate up or down) with the L-bracket attached. (But, seriously, I can't foresee needing the screen to articulate in these ways when the camera is attached to a tripod with the L-bracket.)

As for feel, here's my only complaint: the gap between the right hand grip and the lens is small. With the 40-150mm lens, there's just enough room for my fingers to clear the lens barrel. With the 12-40mm, there isn't. It's still usable with my ring finger below the widest part of the barrel and my middle finger above it, but just barely and my fingers are not thick. If you don't have relatively narrow fingers, you cannot use this with Olympus's PRO series lenses (or, for sure, 4/3 or APS or FF lenses).

Aside from that issue—and it's a big one—this grip is just great. Just be careful about the lens/finger gap: for you it might get one star. I'm giving it five because it works for me. And now I've told *you*, so dont buy it and give it one star! Caveat emptor. For everyone else: this grip is a steal.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Intex Giant Beach Ball, 42" Diameter, for Ages 3+
Intex Giant Beach Ball, 42" Diameter, for Ages 3+
Price: $7.99
11 used & new from $5.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Fun (heh heh), July 25, 2015
This thing is more fun than you might think. There's something about the enormous size that changes your experience of it. Works great outdoors to knock around among several people. Also fun partially deflated indoors to roll around on. We did puncture it by knocking it into the sharp tip of an aloe frond, but that would have punctured practically anything and... it comes with a repair kit!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11