Profile for Music Lover > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Music Lover "Jerrica" RSS Feed (Go LA Sparks !!!)

Dangerously in Love
Dangerously in Love
Offered by SHAVALON
Price: $12.99
288 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars "Ain't no mountain high enough, Aint no valley low enough", September 27, 2004
This review is from: Dangerously in Love (Audio CD)
With the instant radio hits like "Crazy In Love", "Baby Boy", "Naughty Girl", and "Me, Myself, and I" out of the way. Beyonce's "Dangerously in love" takes you on a bus ride of peaks and valleys. With the above mentioned songs giving you an uncontrolable bob in the head for the shy people and for the out-going they just make you get up and dance like nobody's watching. Songs like "Hip-Hop Star" and "That's How You Like It" feature big time names Jay-Z and supergroup OutKast, but were even bigger disappointments, fillers at thier worst. The old "Dangerously In Love" which was featured on Destiny's Child's album "Survivor" doesn't help being that most of DC3's fans crossed over to Beyonce' for her solo effort. The Immature lyrics of "Yes" that reminds you of song that could have been on Destiny's Child's earlier release "The Writing's On The Wall" should've been scrapped. The thoughtful song "Daddy" while sweet and heartfelt, should have been recorded on a blank CD and given to her father as a gift and not to the fans. "Be with You" may sound like a song done over and over by other female Soul singers, but some how it works. Beyonce's saves herself with good ones like, "Signs", "Speechless", and the great duet with Luther Vandross, whom both deliver great vocals. Beyonce' shows great potential as a solo act with this release. If Beyonce releases another solo record, I would bet that she will up her ante.

One Stop Carnival
One Stop Carnival
33 used & new from $1.90

5.0 out of 5 stars BRIAN eats GREEN "Eminems" for lunch., September 27, 2004
This review is from: One Stop Carnival (Audio CD)
Eminem who. It's a shame that people are so shallow, that Brian Green's role on the television show "Beverly Hills 90210" has been seen as some kind of stigma for him and his music career. People who didn't even give this record a chance simply for that reason definitely missed out on a very good hip-hop LP. I don't feel the need to skip over any tracks, this definitely isn't racked full of album fillers. This kid is the real deal. Make no mistake about it, there isn't a hint of that goofy, cartoony rap that Eminem sometimes releases to appeal to his more one demensional young teenage pop audience, so don't be fooled by the title "One Stop Carnival". Once you get passed the 90210 "thing", you'll probably see that this is a great record for hip-hop heads.

Fallen
Fallen
Price: $7.85
294 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Immortal, September 27, 2004
This review is from: Fallen (Audio CD)
I have to say that being a big fan of female soul music, I'm not expected to listen to rock music. People seem so surprised when I play this cd (as loudly as possible), but it's time to stop relying on expectations right? Music is Music and Amy Lee's voice is just amazing. This band and the front woman are the best blend I've heard in a long time. With CD prices going up and up every day it seems like, This disc is definitely worth the money, even if it may be over priced.

Chapter II
Chapter II
Price: $7.59
198 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Bamboozled, September 27, 2004
This review is from: Chapter II (Audio CD)
I've been bamboozled. I must admit I did it to myself though. I was very skeptical about buying this LP. After Ashanti debuted with her first solo album, I was not impressed or to say the least, interested. Whether it was her limited vocal ability or with all of her songs sounding like the remix of the remix of the remix. I went ahead and purchased Chapter II anyway. I really enjoyed the second single from this album "Rain On Me" which prompted me the buy this after the just okay "Rock Wit You." The interludes bothered me the most. Than it was simply the lack of good songs. The only tracks I've been able to stomach are "Rock wit You," "Rain On Me," and the remake of "I found Lovin," needless to say she didn't do that song justice (those of you who are old enough to remember the original). Done by a male singer, she sings the song just like him, and the beat is exactly the same. They might-as-well had put the original on the record since she didn't even try to make it her own. The interlude featuring her little sister was just a waist of album space, the way they were singing was just a big joke. This whole release was a joke. It is ALMOST impossible for Ashanti to capitalize off her so-so vocals, if she doesn't come better next time she'll be filing "Chapter II" bankruptcy.

Afrodisiac
Afrodisiac
95 used & new from $0.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Isn't a sip of Brandy an Afrodisiac ?!, September 27, 2004
This review is from: Afrodisiac (Audio CD)
I would have to say that Brandy's Afrodisiac is my pick for best R&B album of the year (especially female) hands down. Brandy has been in the buisness for about ten or eleven years and she's still trying new things, not only with the music but with her amazing voice. The way she uses her voice on this album amazes me, on "Brandy" and "Never S-A-Y Never" she uses the same kind of tones on every track almost. She dabbled a little with her instrument on Full Moon, but on Afrodisiac she went for the gusto. She sounds different on every track. Deep, light, high, low, channeling Mary J. Blige on tracks such as "Who Is She 2 U", "I Tried", and "Say You Will", taking a couple of classes from music icon Sade on songs like, "Should I Go" and "How I Feel" even doing a little T-Boz (from TLC) on "Where You Wanna Be" featuring King Of The South "T.I." and "Saddidy". She took us back to classic choir girl Brandy on cuts such as her first hit from this LP "Talk About Our Love" and also "Who I Am" and "Come As You Are" which has become my instant favorite along with the powerful "Say You Will". The one and only beef I have with this disc is that there are no power ballads which are synonymous with Brandy's records, there are ballads on this cd like the before mentioned Say You Will, her voice is the power on that song, no dramatic strings, piano, or harps like her previous albums had, but the performance by Brandy, her producers and her wisely chosen guests (T.I. and Kanye West) make up for it. I would've liked to hear some of the high notes she used towards the end of the song "The Boy Is Mine" and "Happy" featured on the Never Say Never album included on this one, but she has officially been forgiven for that :-) . This album has depth, charisma, and parody, not only from her previous releases but most importantly from every other female and even male R&B albums out now. Her Never Say Never album was considered a classic R&B album by most, I think Afrodisiac has taken it's place. Sit back relax and take a sip of Brandy, it definitely improves with age.