Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for The Hibernian Autodidact > Reviews

Browse

The Hibernian Au...'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 19

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

The Hibernian Autodidact RSS Feed (A Culture Free Zone)

Page: 1 | 2
BulkSupplements CLEAN Whey Protein Powder Isolate 90% (1 Kilogram)
BulkSupplements CLEAN Whey Protein Powder Isolate 90% (1 Kilogram)
Offered by BulkSupplements
Price: $24.96
2 used & new from $24.96

5.0 out of 5 stars this is the best protein supplement out there - no added anything, July 1, 2016
IMO, this is the best protein supplement out there - no added anything, just various proteins in the highest purity out there. No more taking in sugary, far from pure drek for me! Thank you BulkSupplements!

The North Water: A Novel
The North Water: A Novel
by Ian McGuire
Price: $18.22
82 used & new from $12.08

5.0 out of 5 stars A cross-hybrid of "Moby Dick" and modern murder mystery., May 8, 2016
Part character study, part nautical adventure tale, part mystery, Ian McGuire's debut novel reads with the fluidity, grace and wordplay of great, established author. If you're like me and wish you had the time and patience to read a book like "Moby Dick" you really should read "The North Water" instead, as this is a story with adventure, numerous near-death experiences, and makes you really feel like what life was like aboard an early 19th century whaling vessel. When the central character, Patrick Sumner, is forced by circumstances to live in an Inuit community above the Arctic Circle, this is about as fine an example of example of adventure writing as I've ever read.

One last note - McGuire obviously loves the English language, as do I, and I'm always grateful to an author who teaches me new words, while writing in a style that perfectly balances enlightenment and entertainment. "Stelliferous" is simply a beautiful word, as is "gallimaufry."

Enerwear Men's Classics Dress Flat Knit Crew Socks Pack of 6 (One Size Fit Most, Coffee)
Offered by Enerwear Socks
Price: $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, May 6, 2016
These socks rock as much as socks can rock.

Old Skool Hooligans One Louder (XXL)
Old Skool Hooligans One Louder (XXL)
Offered by Old Skool Hooligans UK
Price: $16.78
2 used & new from $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My t-shirt is not a s*** sandwich. It's so ..., May 6, 2016
My t-shirt is not a s*** sandwich. It's so black it will beg the question "just how much more black can this get?" The answer, of course, is none....none......more black. When you need that extra push over the cliff from a t-shirt, one that goes one louder, this is the t-shirt for you.

Whipping Boy: The Forty-Year Search for My Twelve-Year-Old Bully
Whipping Boy: The Forty-Year Search for My Twelve-Year-Old Bully
by Allen Kurzweil
Price: $19.47
108 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars I'd give this book zero stars if I could, September 30, 2015
On Amazon, I tend to follow the age old dictum of keeping negative opinions to myself, however in the instance of "Whipping Boy", I feel as though it's my moral duty as a reader of reasonably good conscience to warn readers not to waste their time, as I did, on "Whipping Boy." If the author suffered daily beatings and humiliation at the hands of a thug, then sought out confirmation later in life of the thug's personal failures, I could somewhat understand that. It's perhaps a waste of time and I would personally suggest to anyone to get some therapy or let go of their resentment, but we're all human and trying to get through the struggle of life as best we know ho, so I'll make allowances. However, IMO, the offense that the author experienced at the hands of his nemesis was so insignificant that I had to re-read the "Jesus Christ Superstar" scene again to make sure I hadn't missed anything. It's possible there have never been Holocaust survivors or MOSSAD agents who pursued their Nazi perpetrators with the zeal that the author went after his tormentor. Had the author lived my life as a preternaturally skinny kid in high testosterone Alabama, I don't think he would've survived with his sanity intact. He would've been so consumed by the offenses of not one, but a multitude of bullies over the course of years, not just one incident. The Jesus Christ Superstar incident warrants a years long search for the bully, then an entire book about the experience? And this insignificant transpired at an exclusive, elite boarding school in Switzerland, not the Warsaw Ghetto; consequently, that makes it even more difficult to sympathize with the author. For these reasons, the author revealed far more about their own shortcomings of character, rather than anything insightful and useful to the reader. Although Cesar Augustus turned out to be a con-man, at least he was interesting. OK, rant over. Obviously I need to take my own advice and let go of being conned out of time and money.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 1, 2016 10:01 AM PDT

The Root of His Evil
The Root of His Evil
Price: $7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars write much better books., September 29, 2015
Meh - Cain could, and did, write much better books.

Purity: A Novel
Purity: A Novel
by Jonathan Franzen
Price: $19.29
266 used & new from $0.11

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterwork of insight into humanity, our times and how to write a beautiful sentence, September 29, 2015
This review is from: Purity: A Novel (Hardcover)
My personal ratio of books read to reviews written is probably 50 to 1, and I felt compelled to write a review of this remarkable and brilliant novel because I'm surprised and disheartened by the negative reviews. I won't go into the story at all as you can read about that in other reviews; what I will discuss first is Franzen's remarkable mastery of the English language. He is a wordsmith extraordinaire, in my opinion on par with the very best writers, such as Fitzgerald and Bellow. Second, I think the hallmark of great fiction is that it makes the reader a more sensitive and compassionate observer of the human condition, and participant in life. Much has been written already about the character Andreas Wolf. I've known some Andreas Wolfs in my life, and after reading this book, I feel like I understand the archetypal tortured narcissist better than I did before, and see how they have needs, disappointments and tragedies buried beneath the exterior of bravado and perfection.

If your preference is for books with the classic story arch driven by the plot, then I imagine you may be disappointed, as "Purity" is entirely driven by the hopes and despairs of the characters. The prose is fluid, masterful and full of insight, but I wouldn't classify "Purity" as a book that most people could read with minimal effort. The characters are numerous, the chapters shift repeatedly in time, therefore the reader should expect something akin to a modern day "Anna Karenina" rather than "My Sister's Keeper." I understand that especially in today's publishing climate, publishers are competing for their lives in a medium that's dying a slow death. Hence, I think some readers who are unfamiliar with Franzen may be expecting Jodi Picoult.

In short, expect literature, rather than fiction. If a reader opens this book with those expectations, I just don't see how you can think of it as anything less than extraordinary.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 11, 2015 9:07 AM PST

The Moral Animal: Why We Are, the Way We Are: The New Science of Evolutionary Psychology
by Robert Wright
Price: $10.44
285 used & new from $1.98

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most important books I've ever read., September 4, 2015
My education has been steeped in what many writers refer to as the "Standard Social Scientific Model" - one of the assumptions of the SSSM is that environmental and cultural influences are the dominant consideration in shaping a human life, and that a person's nature is either a secondary or non-existent consideration. Because of this, I had been very resistant for years to any book focusing on human nature, or genetic explanations for simple or complex human behavior. Robert Wright's "The Moral Animal" changed all this. Part of what brought this about is the fact that Wright is such a clear and lucid writer. Frankly, had this book been written by someone of lesser skills with explanation, I probably would've put it down. Now, in my work as a psychotherapist, I'm much more likely to think in terms of what challenges of evolutionary importance are my clients having trouble coping with, such as issues regarding status, procreation, and things that would've spelled death to our neolithic ancestors. Furthermore, another conclusion that I've reached after reading this book is that Charles Darwin is given not given enough credit in psychology writing for his brilliant insights into human feelings and behavior; this needs to change. As Darwin said, if you want to understand people, just watch a troop of baboons, if you ever have the opportunity.

The Wire Season 3
The Wire Season 3
DVD
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars "The Wire" is one of the best written, most intricately constructed shows in story writing ..., December 11, 2014
This review is from: The Wire Season 3 (Amazon Video)
"The Wire" is one of the best written, most intricately constructed shows in story writing history. Yes, a big claim, I know, however I obviously don't think this is an overstatement. There's never a story line weakness, or dialog that feels contrived, or an element of the theme in which you feel like you're being manipulated or preached to.

The Gringo: A Memoir
The Gringo: A Memoir
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, March 24, 2013
The Gringo is informative, interesting, entertaining, and well written. Great insights into the Peace Corps, a third world country, and human nature. Loved it.

Page: 1 | 2