Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for Jessamine > Reviews

Browse

Jessamine's Profile

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jessamine RSS Feed (Atlanta, GA United States)

Page: 1 | 2
London Bridges (Alex Cross Novel)
London Bridges (Alex Cross Novel)
by James Patterson
709 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars So what is Patterson doing instead of actually writing?, November 16, 2004
I long for the days where each chapter had me on the edge of my seat and I would find myself reading into the dead of night. Alas, this seems to be gone in James Patterson's writing. Also, the books are so short now (did anyone else notice the typeset is getting larger?), I can polish one off in two hours.

I would like to know what Patterson is focusing on instead of his writing. He's getting a lot of books out, but I think most of his audience would prefer that we see one really good book a year instead of 4 mediocre ones. I actually enjoyed (somewhat) his other two which were collaborations ("3rd Degree" and "The Jester" with Andrew Gross) and "Sam's Letters to Jennifer" better than any of the latest in the Alex Cross series.

Alex just seems confused these days... to work or not to work in the crime field... to be with Jamilla, Christine, or hey, let's throw in Nana's doctor just to really confuse things.... Alex has lost his passion and so has Patterson. We've basically lost Sampson too - one of the really fun characters in previous Cross novels. I think he showed up for a few sentences in a single chapter this time.

And I completely agree with the other reviewers about not finishing storylines (or finishing them in a very unsatisfactory manner)!! I mean, I guess being kidnapped is an everyday occurrence in the Cross family so they just brushed it off and gathered around the piano to get over their bad day? And don't get me started on the ending. It's like Patterson was typing and someone said "Hey, wanna go grab a beer?" and he said "Hang on, I just have to wrap up this book real quick" which is what it read as... a hurried end to a plot-line with which he'd grown tired.

Mr. Patterson, I respect you as a writer, but honestly, what we want is quality, not quantity. Take a year off and give us a really good Alex Cross novel we can believe in again. We know you have it in you.

Popped (Regan Reilly Mysteries, No. 7)
Popped (Regan Reilly Mysteries, No. 7)
by Carol Higgins Clark
148 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars I wish I could have a "negative" star, August 31, 2004
I read this all the way through because I have never started reading something I didn't finish. I can say one nice thing - it is a great guide book of how NOT to write a book.

The plot was weak, the characters, well, you couldn't care less what happened to them and sometimes wished something WOULD, and then on the fringes this boyfriend occasionally pops up. He is only introduced so that this book could end the way that it did - as the fulfillment of some 13 year old girl's fantasy. I work in a library and have always read a lot and this is truly the worst book I've ever read in 37 years.

Euro-Pro F1066 5-Liter Electronic Stainless Steel Deep Fryer
Euro-Pro F1066 5-Liter Electronic Stainless Steel Deep Fryer

5.0 out of 5 stars "Healthy" deep frying, May 13, 2003
I really love this fryer and enjoy using it. I am not worried about burning myself like I have when placing food to fry in my cast iron skillet.
I love the fact that when I pour the cooled oil back into its bottle for storage there is hardly any missing!! I have one bottle of peanut oil for fish or tofu and one of canola for beignets and other sweets. All of the foods that I have cooked have come out greaseless and perfectly browned.
I used to smell like grease after deep frying (along with the rest of my house) but this doesn't allow many odors to escape.
I have cooked catfish using Zatarains Fish Fry breading, beignets with Cafe du Monde beignet mix (which turned out better than our local New Orleans style restaurants beignets), and fried marinated tofu for my Vietnamese rice noodle salads.
This is worth every penny and I'm happy I didn't buy one of those $49 gizmos with the heating element outside of the oil. It makes a huge difference. Clean up is not difficult. When cleaning the basket and heating element, I just drizzle dishwashing soap into very hot water spray using my sink sprayer and it whips the oil right off. Food doesn't stick so you're just removing oil. I recommend getting some coffee filters or cheesecloth for filtering the oil.
If you're looking to buy a deep fryer, start and end with the best - this one!! I did pay the extra for this model because it was a few more watts and had the digital read-out but I think it was worth it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 24, 2009 2:50 PM PDT

Four Blind Mice (Alex Cross)
Four Blind Mice (Alex Cross)
by James Patterson
Price: $27.45
664 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Writing in his sleep?, January 31, 2003
I thought this was a very "unthrilling" thriller and I am a James Patterson FANATIC. He did seem to repeat himself a lot (mostly regarding flying after 9/11) and I couldn't really get thrilled about any of the story lines. I mean, by the middle of the book, you know who the killers are and he just fills in with Sampson's love life (which, don't get me wrong, I'd love to get to know more about Sampson, but this was even kinda boring) and Alex's rendevous with his west coast girlfriend. I'm looking forward to the Jester and hope he can revitalize his writing with this new direction. I also enjoyed the Women's Murder Club series and hopes he gets #3 out soon.

Page: 1 | 2