Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Profile for TGC Michigan > Reviews

Browse

TGC Michigan's Profile

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

TGC Michigan RSS Feed

Skydog: The Duane Allman Story
Skydog: The Duane Allman Story

3.0 out of 5 stars Book is OK, July 10, 2012
I like the Allman Brothers Band and recently read Gregg Allman's autobiography. Skydog, by comparison, is like reading a biography of a ghost. There is not much content in the book that is directly attributable to Duane Allman other than one or two quotes per chapter. It is the story of Duane and the rest of the band, and it is a good historical account, but doesn't give much insight into Duane Allman as a person. The Kindle version is also riddled with typos. I don't really understand why this has not or cannot be corrected. It is very distracting.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, June 18, 2012
This is a great product. I received this product today and hooked it up with my Scheppach Wall Mount inflator. I must say I think I now have the coolest, highest-quality inflating station money can buy. Cars, trucks, bikes, wheelbarrows, totes, wagons, tractors --- you name it, I'm pumping them up. I also love the retro-cool-American design and look of the product and packaging. I saved the retro-Chicago-style box to display it in my workshop (including the curious spelling of "gage" on the box). All of the money the company saved by not updating their marketing/packaging in the last 50 years has gone into producing a high quality product that works. The gauge does not show real-time pressure while inflating, so you need to inflate in short bursts. These things were used in gas stations for years, so somehow, I remembered exactly how to use this thing the minute I picked it up. The swivel/rotating dual-head chuck is nice feature.

Linksys N300 Wireless Dual-Band Range Extender (RE1000)
Linksys N300 Wireless Dual-Band Range Extender (RE1000)
Offered by COLORADO DISTRIBUTORS
Price: $46.00
66 used & new from $10.48

1.0 out of 5 stars Painful setup - horrible documentation - wish it worked, June 13, 2012
I purchased the RE1000 to extend the signal of a Cisco 4200 wireless router in a large home where I was not getting a good signal in the opposite corners of the home from where the original router was located.

I tried to use the Setup CD and while it seemed like it worked, it did not / could not recognize the router. After about 2 hours of attempting the automated and manual setup processes I finally got this to work, but I probably could not repeat the exact steps again if I had to. The setup process is RIDICULOUSLY COMPLEX and UNDOCUMENTED.

None of the Cisco provided documentation or website support is useful in any way.

A few notes:

1) If you opt for manual setup (which is the only way I can get it to work), the security settings on the Range Extender need to be EXACTLY the same as the security settings on your router. This includes not only the password, but also the security type (WEP, WPA, etc.)

2) The "Wi-Fi Protected Setup" button is completely undocumented and I have no idea what this does or how/why to use it. Even following the steps recommended in the manual admin console it does nothing.

3) The rate at which the Cisco logo blinks on the router will tell you if it is working properly or not. Good luck finding out how to interpret the different blinking rates/patterns.

4) There is much discussion on the internet about needing to set up a Static IP address. I did not need to do this in order to get it to work.

5) There is a very important screen in the Range Extender admin screen where you click the wireless source you would like to pair the range extender with. When you click the radio button it then pops up an OTHERWISE HIDDEN SCREEN which allows you to pair the devices. The main screen should say something simple like "Pick the router you would like to link the Range Extender with" but it does not say anything of the sort. I think I clicked the right thing by accident and this is what ultimately was required to get the range extender to work.

6) It is possible to reset the range extended to the factory settings (which I had to do about 5 times before it worked). Good luck finding out this undocumented trick.

7) Most importantly, and this is my favorite part, if you can see the Network Extender appearing in your list of available wireless networks, this means that it is NOT WORKING properly. If it is working properly, it DISAPPEARS from your list of available networks and you only see the original source router. When the range extender is working properly there is no evidence that the range extender is actually working (except the blinking logo, maybe? Note: it also blinks when it is not working at all. ) This sure would have been an interesting tidbit of information for Cisco to pass along to consumers.

Ratings:
Ability to automatically ink with other Linksys/Cisco routers - F
Signal strength - A
Connection consistency - F
Speed - F

My recommendation is to buy the refurbished unit at half the price of the new one. There are probably thousands of these things in perfectly good working condition that get returned to Cisco simply because they are too difficult to set up. UPDATE - I do not recommend buying this product in any way. In fact if someone offers to give it to you for free, save yourself the headache and respectfully decline their offer (and recommend that they destroy the unit so they do not give it to some other unsuspecting person).

Cisco does not deserve to make any money on this product due to poor documentation, lack of support, and generally horrible quality.

==REVISIONS to intial review ================================
I revised my initial review to include another "F" grade for connection consistency. This thing contantly drops the internet connection but still shows 3 bars of signal. This is the most unorthodox thing I have ever seen. Even if you do the firmware upgrade and change it to Static IP address, as suggested, it drops the connection continously (every 15 minutes or so).

Also added an "F" grade for speed. When the extender does connect to the internet it runs at about 1/10th the speed of my wireless router (3 mbps, vs. 30 mbps). Basically this unit will pick up the signal from your main router and drop the speed by at least 50% as it transfers it. So while "range extender" is technically a correct name for this unit, it does nothing to increase the speed of an already slow signal. Whatever signal it picks up, it "forwards" that signal at 50% of that speed (best case).

== Second REVISION to initial review ========================
After messing around with this thing for over a week I finally got it to be marginally functional but still far below my expectations. And it pretty much requires a degree in wireless network engineering to get this thing working. Update:
1) Location of Extender: The range extender is very tempermental and getting it in the right location in your home is critical. To do this I needed to test it in about 10 different locations and use one of the "speed test" apps on your computer to test speed at various points in your home with the range extender plugged into different location. However, you also need some other supplemental tool to see which router you are connected to because the Range Extender uses the exact same name as your main router. You need something that will show you the MAC address of the device you are connected to (you will quickly commit this address to memory by the time you actually get the unit to work). My range extender works best when it is as far away from my main router as possible (on opposite side, second floor of 5,000 sq ft home).

2) Connection Dropping: As noted above, the range extender was dropping the connection (and still showing 3 bars!) about 10 times per hour on average. This appeared to have nothing to do with the location. I tried setting up the range extender with a static IP address and this did nothing to help. I found another tip on the internet and set up a "reserved IP address" on my main router to match the static IP address I chose on the range extender. This reduced the connection dropping problem significantly. Now I am dropping the connection about once per hour, vs. 10 times per hour prior to that. UPDATE: yesterday the unit (with a strong signal from the base) was dropping my internet connection about every 3 minutes.

When I was purchasing this product I was confused as to how there could be so many different reviews with people either loving or hating this product. Now I know why. Sometimes the configuration and placement works perfectly (for no good reason other than pure, random luck in the initial setup, router pairing and location of the range extender). Everyone else hates it because there are 100 different things that can go wrong with the setup and there is NO DOCUMENTATION from Cisco-Linksys on how to fix it.

It appears from the reviews that 50% of people who purchase this product are extremely dissatisfied and/or return the product. I cannot believe Cicso is doing nothing to rectify these issues. They could sell a zillion of these things if they actually worked.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS PIECE OF JUNK! Sorry to be so harsh. If someone from Cisco would like to contact me, I'd be happy to tell you all the things that are wrong with this product. Please schedule a few hours for the discussion.

Update: I updated the firmware and the extender still does not work properly. It drops the connection about every 5-6 minutes. The maximum connection time without dropping that I have seen so far is about 16 minutes. This thing is a headache.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 25, 2016 2:28 PM PDT

KRUPS FMF5 Programmable Coffee Maker with Double Wall Thermal Carafe and LED control panel, 10-Cup, Black
3 used & new from $81.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor design, OK coffee, July 17, 2006
This machine makes pretty good coffee. I don't care for the metallic taste of a stainless steel pot, but I knew that when I bought the unit so I can't blame Krupps for that. I bought it to replace an aging Krupps machine that worked well for many years.

However, the electronic controls on this machine are the most rediculously complicated controls I have seen on any appliance in recent memory. This machine has FOUR FUNCTIONS and they have managed to make it so complex with 4 multi-mode buttons, an electronic display and non-intutive icons (the clock icon does not set the clock!) that I need to consult the user manual to figure out how to set the clock, turn on the coffee maker(!), turn off the alarm (still can't figure this out, the manual says you can do it but doesn't say how to), and turn off the programmed automatic start.

I have a master's degree, I read the manuals, and I work with computers and electronic equipment on a daily basis. These controls, buttons and owner manual are like a bad joke.

This is a real embarrasment for the Krupps company. They have made fine coffee makers in the past.

The lid was also scratched when I opened the box, and the swing open filter door, does not swing open too well.

Magellan eXplorist 210 Waterproof Hiking GPS (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Magellan eXplorist 210 Waterproof Hiking GPS (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
5 used & new from $40.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Good basic GPS, not great, June 1, 2006
I bought the Explorist 210 for a recent hiking/birding expedition in Belize. I practiced using the unit at home for a few weeks before the trip and used it continuously on the trip. A few comments on the device:

Pros:

1) The GPS receiver and accuracy is very good. It works almost everywhere except inside buildings and under dense forest canopy. It worked on foot, in car, on boats, and it kind of worked on a small plane traveling from Belize City to Ambergris Caye.

2) There are no road maps available for Belize, so I was basically using the tracking feature and comparing it to a folding map while driving to determing where to take turns and distance to destination.

3) When hiking, the device worked very well when needing to find our way back or determining if we had been on a familiar looking trail before and "did we turn right or left here."

Cons:

4) The user interface is not great. Some of the menus seem to be "hidden" and only appear at on certain screens and it is not very intiutive. The file structure is also confusing because you can save to folders or files, and from what I can tell, the files are exactly like a folder. This is very confusing. There is also no main menu that takes you to all commands. Some commands/menus only appear when on certain screens and the user interface conventions used are not consistent with computer standards.

5) The USB interface and software only allows you to load geocache points, not Points of Interest. I could not find any way to load Points of Interest. You can access the text files containing the points of interest, but the file layout is not obvious so I did not feel comfortable messing with this file.

6) The user manual provided with the unit is pretty basic, however, there is a 200 page user manual available on the CD provided with the unit (it would have been nice for them to tell you this somewhere).

7) The clock does not automatically set itself. How can a device know my location anywhere on the earth within 30 feet and not know what time it is?

8) The border between Belize and Guatamala was not very accurate on the GPS base map. We were clearly in Belize and the unit thought we were in Guatamala. It was probably off by about 1 mile (the border on the map, not the GPS coordinates).

Western Digital External USB 2.0 120GB Hard Drive (WD1200B005-RNx)
Western Digital External USB 2.0 120GB Hard Drive (WD1200B005-RNx)

1.0 out of 5 stars Drive died after 14 months, September 26, 2004
I bought this drive last summer and it worked OK for about a year. This month it started making a clicking sound and would not read the drive. I sent it out for recovery and found out that it suffered from a severe head crash where the drive head actually damanged the media surface on the drive causing all of my data to be unrecoverable. I do not backup my primary machine every day so I lost a lot of unrecoverable files that I had since removed from my primary machine.

The main problem with this device is that it does not have a power on/off switch. It is always on unless you unplug it. I use it infrequently and found that sometimes the disk and fan would be spinning when I did not even have my machine plugged into it. I think this fried the unit prematurely. Next time I buy a backup device I will make sure it has an on/off switch and I will isolate it from all of my other devices (do not use with USB hub).

Now I guess I need to buy two backup drives and have a backup of the backup of the backup. After having lost 3 hard drives over the last 15 years, all I can say is that all hard drives eventually fail. Never leave your data on only one device. I am going out today to buy two smaller backup drives instead of one large one. That way I will have redundant backup of my backups.