Profile for Ralph Maughan > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 42

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ralph Maughan RSS Feed (Pocatello, Idaho USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Galore
Galore
by Michael Crummey
Price: $13.13
148 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars audio does not work with print version, August 5, 2014
This review is from: Galore (Paperback)
Why is it NOT possible to read this book and listen to the audio simultateously? I have tried repeatedly to get the audio book in sync with the print, but no dope.

KLOUD City @ Yellow low profile cotton outdoor sports twill cap hat with adjustable velcro
Offered by Kloud City
Price: $5.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Worse, for my taste, July 28, 2014
The yellow hat was huge. It rested on my ears, and it had a buckle in the back for adjustments. The buckle was broken.

The light blue hat fit. It adjusted using a velcro patch. Unlike the yellow hat, the stitching was cheap looking. Worse, for my taste, it was not low profile. I tossed both the hats. Well, I sent them to Good Will.

The World of Suzie Wong: A Novel
The World of Suzie Wong: A Novel
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, July 9, 2014
This novel rings entirely true: from the interactions among the bar girls to the romance between Suzie and Robert to the backdrop of British Taiwan after World War Two. I read this 40 years ago and recently read it again. It certainly stands the test of time and reads as well now as it did then--a major and enduring story of love transcending social class and cultural prejudice.

Old Girls in Low Cotton (Kindle Single)
Old Girls in Low Cotton (Kindle Single)
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, kind, and cruel, June 21, 2014
This short story describes a state of mind in which time and space ( love and death) have been rearranged. The young widow has lost everything and lives with her mother in law who has nothing. They both ache for freedom and affection, balm for their wounds. They try to give these to each other and fail. Hope becomes a sound in the wind.
A sad story? Yes. A good story which examines the dilemma of being human? Yes and yes.
Those who see no point have missed it. Childress has given us literature fresh out of the oven in a Dr. Pepper cake.

For Your Sake
For Your Sake
Price: $1.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good Nonsense, May 25, 2014
This review is from: For Your Sake (Kindle Edition)
I was surprised at how well written it is given its genre: biker romance. The setting is very strong as is her use of language. The plot is nicely done too. Her grasp of biker culture is weak. For example, she has bad girls (club girls) and good girls (wives and old ladies). In many clubs, the old ladies are pole dancers and some are prostitutes. Some are abused and some are masochists "beat freaks". It is not uncommon to see heavily bruised women and ones on welfare with strings of children from different fathers. While being an old lady affords a certain level of protection, it is not necessarily empowering. Social status depends on the power of her old man, how he treats her, and her own confidence within an often dangerous and violent culture.
The other thing that really bothered me is the absolute zero description of the motorcycles other than the paint scheme. I think this writer has maybe been on a scooter once and been no closer to patched bikers than her TV set.

Opteka GPN-1 Geotag GPS & Shutter Release Cord for Nikon D3, D3S, D3X, D4, D700, D300, D300S, D2X, D2XS, D2HS, D200, D5000, D5100, D5200, D3100, D3200, D7000, D90 and D800 DSLR Cameras (Nikon GP-1 Replacement)
Offered by 47th Street Photo
Price: $34.95
2 used & new from $34.95

4.0 out of 5 stars A cost-effective alternative to the Nikon GP-1, May 25, 2014
I have had 3 of these over time for various Nikon D-series cameras. They have been accurate and acceptably fast. However, the wire from the unit to the camera is fragile. It has always broken after about four months to a year of my use. Nonetheless, each costs a fifth as much as a Nikon GP-1. I did buy a GP-1, and it hardly worked at all despite its cost. After that experience, the Opteka seemed wonderful to me.

Russell Athletic Men's Dri-Power Long Sleeve Raglan Tee - Dark Green - M
Russell Athletic Men's Dri-Power Long Sleeve Raglan Tee - Dark Green - M
Offered by Russell Athletic
Price: $17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with the fit, feel and appearance, April 30, 2014
I am 6-2" tall and 180-185 pounds. I ordered medium rather than large and the fit is perfect. To me this means somewhat form-fitting rather than loose with room for a belly. The stitching is regular without flaws. The material is comfortable against my skin. The shirt is symmetrical -- no sag. After washing it appeared to be exactly like it was before the wash. The shirt had no smell that I could detect. So far I am very pleased.

New Balance Men's M730v2 Running Shoe,Silver/Red,11.5 D US
New Balance Men's M730v2 Running Shoe,Silver/Red,11.5 D US
Offered by What's Hot
Price: $74.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, March 21, 2014
The shoe is very light, but still very protective of blows to the heel and ball of the foot. It is stylish and I wear them for more than running and the gym. I would buy it again without reservation

Livestrong Thinkbaby Safe Sunscreen SPF 30+, 3-Ounce
Livestrong Thinkbaby Safe Sunscreen SPF 30+, 3-Ounce
Price: $10.69
47 used & new from $9.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A smart why to get better zinc oxide without potentially dangerous nano, December 23, 2013
From the beginning, I could see that nanoparticles were potentially dangerous as well as often very helpful. Getting a safe and effective sunscreen is like threading a needle, I suppose. The chemical sunscreens go from not so safe to much worse, but nanoparticles have not been proven safe, though zinc oxide fares better than most.

Old fashioned zinc oxide sunscreen is safe, effective, but miserable to wear. The same is true when it is mixed with old fashioned titanium dioxide. Nanoparticle sized makes them pleasant and perhaps just as effective, but I certainly don't like the idea of nanoparticles tumbling through my bloodstream like jagged rocks relative to the size of my cells.

The makers of Thinkbaby seem to have come up with a good idea -- make the zinc oxide particles smaller, but not nano-sized. The texture is much better without any danger so far as I can tell. My experience is that this product does protect me from the sun, although the true SPF might not be 50+. It feels good to wear after about a half hour of initial whiteness.

One person suggested adding titanium for even better performance. Perhaps so, if non-nano. If they can use safe but effective sized particles of zinc, why not of titanium too?

Under Armour Men's UA Charged Cotton® Long Sleeve T-Shirt Medium Cadet
Under Armour Men's UA Charged Cotton® Long Sleeve T-Shirt Medium Cadet
Offered by Under Armour

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful in many circumstances and wears well, December 22, 2013
I wear these all over the place in the spring, fall and winter. The long sleeves also help in the summertime when I am in the mountains and bothered by mosquitoes, etc. or by intense sun coupled with cool air at higher elevations.

These are also durable. I have washed it many times.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5