Profile for Katie Casey > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 43

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Katie Casey RSS Feed (Spring Hill, KS)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Grace Gifts: Celebrating Your Children Every Day
Grace Gifts: Celebrating Your Children Every Day
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun parenting ideas, June 26, 2014
Short read filled with great ideas and practical ways of showing your kids love and grace, and perhaps even pointing them and their friends who may enter your home to God. Somewhat more geared towards the teen years, but as a mom of toddlers I still got a lot out of it.

Notes from a Blue Bike: The Art of Living Intentionally in a Chaotic World
Notes from a Blue Bike: The Art of Living Intentionally in a Chaotic World
by Tsh Oxenreider
Price: $17.36
73 used & new from $11.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiration for my Family!, June 15, 2014
Been a long time since I had a book that I found so inspiring! Seriously, I related to so much of what Tsh says here and kept thinking "yes, I want this life too!"

It is such a chaotic, busy life that we live in and it's almost impossible to NOT be going in a million directions at once. Her family's choices and goals to slow down and live simpler are so in line with what I would love to be able to do.

They have prioritized travel, books, and time together over expensive material things. She talks about her time living all over the world and encourages her readers to make sure their families get out of the US at least once. She's also very realistic about the finances (and financial sacrifices) a goal like that takes and references how they turned their life around with [author:Dave Ramsey|44526]'s advice.

She also talks a lot about shopping at the local farmer's market while living in Turkey and how she wanted to continue that fresh approach after moving back to the states. It's a lot harder, but can be done. She definitely sparked my interest in more local farmer's markets, the slow food movement, etc.

I so appreciated her style (honest, autobiographical) and could relate to her life...

"I cannot remember one day in five years when my to do list was completely finished. Not one." (For me, it might be closer to 4 years - Micah's age - but yeah!)

And here's one of my favorites - perfect justification for my obsession with children's books and the library...

"According to the US National Commission on Reading, the most significant factor in a child's educational success is an introduction to books."

Tsh asserts that the most important things we can give our kids are "books, open-ended toys, and access to the outdoors." Open-ended toys = LEGOS, art supplies, train tracks, cars, etc.

She shares many valuable lessons that her family has learned and what has worked and not worked for them (home schooling vs. public schooling, for example), and I just highly recommend this for any family that wants to really start simplifying and re-prioritizing life.

CRUSH IT!
CRUSH IT!
Price: $8.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Great business book! Great book on succeeding in life!, May 9, 2014
If you have a true passion - something that you think about eating, breathing, sleeping - than you will be able to be successful in life and in business by applying the ideas in this book. Personally, I love Gary Vaynerchuk's own passion for life and teaching and inspiring others. I love his style and his authentic delivery. I read the VOOK version - with videos embedded on my Kindle - awesome because you get to actually see and hear real life examples of what Gary and others are doing.

I like him as a person. Here's one of the first things he says in the book, "Well, my secret is that I live by three pretty simple rules: Love your family. Work superhard. Live your passion." (location 38). It's difficult for me to take advice from someone I don't respect. Gary Vaynerchuk, I can respect.

I love what he has to say about being yourself: "Embrace your DNA, be yourself, put out awesome content, and people will be interested in what you have to say. Believe me, if you're that good, people are going to find you, and they're going to follow you, and they're going to talk. And getting people to talk is the point." (location 384).

Social media is a great interest of mine. I like being connected with people. I like it all: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, etc. So maybe Gary Vaynerchuk was preaching to the choir here a little bit because I really agree with everything he talks about. It's free. It's easy. It's easy to get your name/brand/passion out there. He says in his conclusion that "social media is an important part of it for now, but maybe it won't always be. These concepts, however, are forever, no matter what the next business platform or social phenomenon turns out to be." (location 1264).

If you are a brand or a business or an entrepreneur or want-to-be, do yourself a favor, read this!

The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches: A Flavia de Luce Novel
The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches: A Flavia de Luce Novel
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Flavia grows up..., February 4, 2014
Definitely the most character development yet. It was fun to learn more about the mysterious de Luce family, but of course more puzzles appear for future books.

The Yellow Eyes of Crocodiles: A Novel
The Yellow Eyes of Crocodiles: A Novel
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing characters, fantastic story, January 15, 2014
The cover lured me in, and I'm so thankful it did. Katherine Pancol's characters have totally taken up occupation in my mind's eye. The character development alone makes this a great read, but the story is so fun and enchanting that it could probably stand alone too. Its always extra pleasant when the ones you for for do well.

The Legend of the Candy Cane (Enhanced Edition): The Inspirational Story of Our Favorite Christmas Candy
Offered by HarperCollins Publishing
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun interactive Christmas story, January 5, 2014
This great children's Christmas book includes audio narration (so you can read along) and video clips that go along with the story. Tells the story of the candy cane and how it represents Jesus (looks like a shepherd's staff or the letter J), red stripes for his suffering for us, and white to remind us that he washes us white as snow.

The Greatest Gift: Unwrapping the Full Love Story of Christmas
The Greatest Gift: Unwrapping the Full Love Story of Christmas
Price: $9.20

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful advent devotional, December 31, 2013
Like in her previous book, "One Thousand Gifts," Ann Voskamp inspires thankfulness in the small & forgotten treasures. In the hectic season of Christmas, this is a perfect read... a daily reminder to slow down & allow for everyday miracles to be noticed, felt, and appreciated.

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (Best EVER Book 1)
The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (Best EVER Book 1)
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $3.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Christmas Read, December 15, 2013
A misfit family signs up for the local church Christmas pageant and challenges everyone's Christmas ideals... in a good way! Fun quick read.

Christmas at Pebble Creek (Free Short Story) (The Pebble Creek Amish)
Christmas at Pebble Creek (Free Short Story) (The Pebble Creek Amish)
Price: $0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute little Christmas story, November 30, 2013
Short & sweet little story about an Amish teaching assistant who has a fun Christmas outing with friends and meets someone with an interesting proposition for her. Leaves you wanting a lot more...

The Mission of Motherhood: Touching Your Child's Heart of Eternity
The Mission of Motherhood: Touching Your Child's Heart of Eternity
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $11.84

5.0 out of 5 stars A Mom Must Read, November 29, 2013
Must read for every Mom who wants to raise her children in a God-honoring way. Inspiring, encouraging, and not at all overwhelming or guilt-giving like some mothering books.

"And the fundamental mission of motherhood now is the same as it always was: to nurture, protect, and instruct children, to create a home environment that enables them to learn and grow, to help them develop a heart for God and his purposes, and to send them out into the world prepared to live both fully and meaningfully." (4)

Sally Clarkson is the mother of 4 herself so she speaks primarily from her own experience and what worked for her family, so it's not a scholarly or heady book by any means. She emphasizes simple things like meals together, hobbies together, reading together, and travelling together. Things that I can so agree with and get on board with for our family!

One thing that really touched me is that it is OK for your family to be your primary ministry, it is so easy to forget that sometimes! "And saying yes to the mission of motherhood has certainly not meant giving up my ministry. To a great extent, it is my ministry." (16) This coming from a former missionary and very independent woman (it seems to me).

She is just a woman after my own heart...

"It's so easy, in this era of divided hearts, for women's souls to become withered and dried up because we have so little time to read, to think, to enjoy the beauty of nature or the joy of relaxing with a friend or loved one." (47)

... she inspired me to do more of what I love!

"I do not have to be a perfect mom - just an authentic believer." (88) = THANKFULLY!

And "The mission of motherhood requires grit. It requires perseverance. And that often means years of repetitious and mundane tasks, years of repeating yourself, years of wondering whether anything you do or say makes a difference."

Ah, I always wondered that... haha...

Anyway, very enjoyable book, and I plan to read some more of Sally's works, and of course continue to follow her on her blog [...]

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5