Profile for Kathy E. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 358

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kathy E. "Kathy" RSS Feed (Bristol, CT)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30
Secrets of the Demon (Kara Gillian)
Secrets of the Demon (Kara Gillian)
by Diana Rowland
Price: $6.61
79 used & new from $0.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Secrets of the Demon, February 8, 2011
I strongly suggest you read the previous books in the series (Mark of the Demon and Blood of the Demon) prior to reading this installment.

It took me a bit to get into this book, even though this was a quick read for me. The story wasn't slow per se but there were more internal dialog and senseless interactions than I would've liked. Once this book reached the mid-way part, it started to move faster; and was able to hold my attention and interest. The story was interesting and creative, and there was a good amount of mystery to the plot.

For those looking for a police procedural novel, this series is not it. I don't know why the author wrote Kara in as a police officer. She would do better to be a PI; her job is pretty much secondary. Most of the time her precinct scenes felt forced, like the writer included them solely to fill-in some pages.

Rhyzkahl is by far my favorite character and the top reason as to why I keep returning to this series. He is devious and honor bound, and continually keeps me guessing his intentions. I can honestly say, if Lord Rhyzkahl was not in this series, I probably would not continue to read it.

For the Kara and Rhyzkahl fans, this installment is a delicious treat. We don't get as much interaction as I'd like, but the author gives us a glimpse into some sinful scenes.

I recommend this book to fellow dark urban fantasy fans and look forward to reading the next book Sins of the Demon.
I also recommend:
Hellforged (A Deadtown Novel)
Cheat the Grave (Sign of the Zodiac, Book 5)
Spell Games (Marla Mason, Book 4)
Shotgun Sorceress
Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, Book 1)

Shadowfever
Shadowfever
by Karen Marie Moning
176 used & new from $0.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Sleep on this Fever-Hot series!, February 8, 2011
This review is from: Shadowfever (Hardcover)
This was one fantastically-wicked series! It wasn't afraid to push the envelope, get down and dirty and at times be utterly depraved and deplorable. Through this series, Mac has had a gradual metamorphosis. Starting with the first book, Mac 1.0 was a pure, delicate flower. However, somewhere along the way, Mac 2.0 adapted and reformed into a matured, butt-kicking woman; whose ferocity was completely unbounded.

This installment was a perfect ending to a creative and exciting series. I am really going to miss it, but it does help knowing the author is working on another series to be set in the Fever World. Hopefully we'll get more of Mac and Barrons, however, I'd also be interested to see what becomes of Dani's wild-card character.

For those SF fans who are looking for a bit of a hybrid between DUR and SF, IMO, this book and series could be described as such. The author offers you descriptions of different types of planets and dimensions in exquisite detail.

[...]

Hellforged (Deadtown)
Hellforged (Deadtown)
by Nancy Holzner
Price: $2.55
70 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Hellforged, February 8, 2011
I strongly suggest you read the previous book in the series (Deadtown) prior to reading this installment.

Vicky's character is clueless most of the times for a professional demon fighter who has seen the worst things imaginable. You would think she'd be suspicious of everything and continually on her guard; but no, she wanders around and into all traps with her demon-fighter instinct, completely flaccid. Besides that annoying character trait, I did enjoy this installment.

The story was creative and flowed well. It was very interesting, and at the times when I wasn't irritated with Vicky's stupidity, I was laughing. This installment was hilarious! The author did a great job on describing Vicky's ancestry and how the rift between the shape shifters and demon-kind came to be.

The author delved deeper into Vicky and Kane's relationship. I wondered during the last installment, why the author even bothered including him in the book. She did expound on Kane's character and knocked him off his high horse a bit and now I can't wait to see he and Vicky's future developments, they make a really great team. I must say, Aunt Mab was by far my favorite character of all. She was a deadly little fireball. Her character was so deceiving; on the outside she appeared as a demure older women but when she opens up she's all tooth and nails.

I highly recommend this book to fellow dark urban fantasy fans and also look forward to reading the next book Bloodstone due out October 2011.

Siren Song
Working for the Devil (Dante Valentine, Book 1)
Moon Called (Mercy Thompson)
Once Bitten
Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, Book 1)

Crimson Wind (Horngate Witches Books)
Crimson Wind (Horngate Witches Books)
by Diana Pharaoh Francis
Price: $6.75
75 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Crimson Wind, January 8, 2011
I strongly suggest you read the previous book in the series (Bitter Night) prior to reading this installment.

The title of this book could not have been more perfect. The story starts off at an accelerated pace, however, it did take a little bit before all the scenes coalesced into one electrifying picture.

Max is not your usual heroine; she is fierce and deadly right to her core. She is tough and wicked, but is also selfless and protective of those weaker than herself. And she certainly believes in paying-it-forward.

The world building depictions were illustrated in such magnificent detail, that It was easy to imagine the wild and vibrant colors of magic. The flow of the story was well written and moved fluidly, never feeling rushed; and the story is packed full of hot delicious sexual tension.

As exaggerated as this sounds, this book was so compellingly, I was completely consumed by it and hardly ever put it down. I really enjoyed traveling along with Max on her twisted-adventurous mission and was actually sad when the story ended.

I highly recommend this book to fellow dark urban fantasy fans and also look forward to reading the next book Shadow City due out late 2011.

Venom (Elemental Assassin, Book 3)
The Mage in Black (Sabina Kane)
Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, Book 4)
Grave Witch (Alex Craft, Book 1)
Shotgun Sorceress

Milor! (A Galaxy Unknown Book 5)
Milor! (A Galaxy Unknown Book 5)
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sci-fi Thriller at it's Best!, January 8, 2011
I strongly suggest you read the previous book in the series (A Galaxy Unknown, Valor At Vauzlee, Clones of Mawcett and Trader Vyx) prior to reading this installment.

What a spectacular read! The known galaxy's luckiest Captain is back , with a huge villain that makes the raiders look like criminals with training wheels.

This installment was full of action and suspense. The author packed a lot into this book, however, the story never felt rushed. I'm really impressed with how well the author juggles so many storylines at once.

To fellow dark urban fantasy readers who are looking for an SF but are unsure of what to take a chance on; I highly recommend this book and series. The writing style is similar to DUF. I am also impatiently looking forward to the next book Castle Vroman due out 2/1/2011.

I also recommend:
The Darkest Edge of Dawn (Charlie Madigan, Book 2)
Space Trippers Book 1: Trippin'
Black Magic Sanction (Hollows)

by Laura E. Reeve
Price: $6.82
112 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Just Ok, January 8, 2011
This book started out a bit slow. To be honest, there wasn't much action and I wasn't overly impressed by the storyline.

The characters had too much talk and self-reflection for my taste. The action scenes were very few and far between. However, whenever there was an action scene, it was very interesting and did kept my attention.

Unfortunately the sparse action was insufficient to entirely hold my attention and interest; and it took me a long time to get through this book.

But on the plus side, I did manage to finish the book and despite my frustration with a lot of parts in this novel, I do see a lot of potential in this series. Therefore, I will definitely be reading the next installment Vigilante.

A Galaxy Unknown
Space Trippers Book 1: Trippin'

Trader Vyx (A Galaxy Unknown Book 4)
Trader Vyx (A Galaxy Unknown Book 4)
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Trader Vyx, December 30, 2010
I strongly suggest you read the previous book in the series (A Galaxy Unknown, Valor At Vauzlee and Clones of Mawcett) prior to reading this book.

I really enjoyed this installment. It was literally full of excitement. The author's creativity and world building were flawless.

What the last installment lacked in high voltage action, this installment makes up for in spades! However, it's about time Jen's sisters started to see some ready action.

To fellow dark urban fantasy readers who are looking for an SF but are unsure of what to take a chance on; I highly recommend this book and series. The writing style is similar to DUF. I am also impatiently looking forward to the next book Milor! due out 12/15/2010.

Space Trippers Book 1: Trippin'
Black Magic Sanction (Hollows)
Dead, Undead, or Somewhere in Between
Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, Book 1)

Shotgun Sorceress (Ballantine Books del Rey)
Shotgun Sorceress (Ballantine Books del Rey)
by Lucy A. Snyder
Price: $6.96
69 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Shotgun Sorceress, December 30, 2010
I strongly suggest you read the previous book in this series (Spellbent) prior to reading this book.

I've been anxiously awaiting this sequel ever since the last installment ended.
Shotgun Sorceress takes-off right where Spellbent left-off and never slowed down! Lucy Snyder's imagination is incredible. This book was exciting, creative and magically action-packed. I was on the edge of my seat through the most of the book and I completely devoured this story.

I highly recommend this book to fellow dark urban fantasy readers. I look forward to the next book Switchblade Goddess due out 2011.

I also recommend:
Grave Witch (Alex Craft, Book 1)
Darkfever (Fever Series, Book 1)
Bitter Night: A Horngate Witches Book
Deadtown (A Deadtown Novel)
Storm Born (Dark Swan, Book 1)

by Jennifer Estep
Price: $7.99
100 used & new from $1.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Venom, December 30, 2010
I strongly suggest you read the previous books in the series (Pre-prequel-Web of Deceit; Prequel- Spider's Bargain; installment #1-Spider's Bite; Novella-Web of Death; installment #2-Web of Lies) prior to reading this installment.

Gin, our favorite assassin is back with a new purpose in life..to help those without a voice. I usually don't like books where the heroine tries to be goody-two-shoes all the time and thank goodness, this is not one of those books.

Gin is tough, savvy and has a one hell of a mean streak. Gin's viciousness is only out done by her big heart. However, at the same time, she isn't overly emotional (which I can appreciate) and she gets right to the point.

This book is action-packed and face paced. The bloody details of this installment are not for the faint of heart! This installment was one of the most gruesome of the series and I loved every minute of it.

I highly recommend this book to fellow dark urban fantasy readers. I look forward to the next book Tangled Threads due out 4/26/2011.
I also recommend:
The Darkest Edge of Dawn (Charlie Madigan, Book 2)
Dead, Undead, or Somewhere in Between
The Mage in Black (Sabina Kane)
Magic to the Bone (Allie Beckstrom)
Dark Time: Mortal Path Book 1

Grave Witch (Alex Craft)
Grave Witch (Alex Craft)
by Kalayna Price
Price: $5.87
108 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Grave Witch, December 30, 2010
Surprisingly to me, I had a very hard time getting into this book. It took almost a month for me to get past the first chapter, however, once I got past that, this book totally hooked me.

I was actually a bit sad when the book ended. I don't particularly care for novels that focus on ghosts but this book was fantastic! If the next installment is as exciting as this book, this series could easily become one of my favorites.

I highly recommend this book to fellow dark urban fantasy readers. I anxiously await the next book Grave Dance due out 3/1/2011 and I also look forward to book 3 of Kalayna's Haven Series, Third Blood in out in early 2011.

Once Bitten
Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, Book 1)
Siren Song
Moon Called (Mercy Thompson)
Spellbent