Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for Kathy E. > Reviews

Browse

Kathy E.'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 360

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kathy E. "Kathy" RSS Feed (Bristol, CT)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30
Venom (Elemental Assassin, Book 3)
Venom (Elemental Assassin, Book 3)
by Jennifer Estep
Price: $5.44
115 used & new from $0.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Venom, December 30, 2010
I strongly suggest you read the previous books in the series (Pre-prequel-Web of Deceit; Prequel- Spider's Bargain; installment #1-Spider's Bite; Novella-Web of Death; installment #2-Web of Lies) prior to reading this installment.

Gin, our favorite assassin is back with a new purpose in life..to help those without a voice. I usually don't like books where the heroine tries to be goody-two-shoes all the time and thank goodness, this is not one of those books.

Gin is tough, savvy and has a one hell of a mean streak. Gin's viciousness is only out done by her big heart. However, at the same time, she isn't overly emotional (which I can appreciate) and she gets right to the point.

This book is action-packed and face paced. The bloody details of this installment are not for the faint of heart! This installment was one of the most gruesome of the series and I loved every minute of it.

I highly recommend this book to fellow dark urban fantasy readers. I look forward to the next book Tangled Threads due out 4/26/2011.
Dead, Undead, or Somewhere in Between
The Mage in Black (Sabina Kane)
Magic to the Bone (Allie Beckstrom)
Dark Time: Mortal Path Book 1

Grave Witch (Alex Craft)
Grave Witch (Alex Craft)
by Kalayna Price
Price: $7.43
99 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Grave Witch, December 30, 2010
Surprisingly to me, I had a very hard time getting into this book. It took almost a month for me to get past the first chapter, however, once I got past that, this book totally hooked me.

I was actually a bit sad when the book ended. I don't particularly care for novels that focus on ghosts but this book was fantastic! If the next installment is as exciting as this book, this series could easily become one of my favorites.

I highly recommend this book to fellow dark urban fantasy readers. I anxiously await the next book Grave Dance due out 3/1/2011 and I also look forward to book 3 of Kalayna's Haven Series, Third Blood in out in early 2011.

Once Bitten
Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, Book 1)
Siren Song
Moon Called (Mercy Thompson)
Spellbent

Siren Song (The Blood Singer Novels)
Siren Song (The Blood Singer Novels)
by Cathy Clamp
Price: $17.44
78 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars 3.5-Star Rating, October 25, 2010
I strongly suggest you read the previous book in the series (Blood Song) prior to reading this installment.

I was really looking forward to reading this book since the end of Blood Song. The possibility of having a different preternatural creature to focus on, as oppose to the same old vampires, witches and demons was a nice prospect. However, I must admit this installment was a bit of a disappointment. The inconsistencies were too great to ignore; plus, the whole postmenopausal women, old men and lesbians are the only ones that can resist my siren charms felt immature to me.

Another strike against this book was the author built and revved up a situation, only to have the resolution occur after the fact. The author used this horrible technique in the previous book with the death of Celia's sire and she also repeated this heinous technique for a certain part in this installment. Through many of the subplots, I kept wondering why is Celia even here? Celia's character just felt thrown into situations, which felt convenient for the author but held no real purpose for Celia's character.

Aside, from my many complaints above, this installment had a high entertainment factor. This crucial component was the sole redeeming quality, which kept me reading this book until the end. There was plenty of action to go around and there was thankfully zero romance.

I was conflicted on what score I should rate this installment. This series has a lot of potential. However, there were some parts of the author's writing style that were pretty irritating but at the same time, I read this entire book without skipping head and was completely entertained.

I recommend this book judging solely from an entertainment standpoint alone, to fellow dark urban fantasy readers and look forward to the next book Demon Song due out 3/1/2011.

Spellbent
Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, Book 4)
Black Magic Sanction (Rachel Morgan, Book 8)
Bitter Night: A Horngate Witches Book

by Kelly Gay
39 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The Darkest Edge of Dawn, October 25, 2010
I strongly suggest you read the previous book in the series (Better Part of Darkness) prior to reading this installment.

I've been looking forward to this release and was not disappointed. Charlie investigates a dangerous murder mystery, while she is struggling through the evolution of her alien-manipulated DNA.

Reading about parts of Charlie's ordinary life struggles to raise a preteen daughter who is powerful in her own right, is a nice change from the average fantasy heroine who is usually super power, super rich and gets everything handed to her. Not to mentioned, said daughter has her very own hellhound! Who says young girls only dream of owning ponies?

My only complaint for this installment is that sometimes Charlie is too dense for her own good. However, what keeps my patience and my attention is no matter how narrow-minded Charlie's view becomes, she compensates by actually learning a lesson and she doesn't repeat the same old patterns. I can't tell you how many series I've banished from my reading list, based solely on the heroine being too-stupid-to-live.

I would categorize this as a light SF/heavy dark urban fantasy. In this series the preternatural are actually "off worlders" not just in another dimension but are from a different planet altogether. Some are even from a dark world with a dying moon.

The story was twistedly-dark (just like I like 'em) and moved quickly. The action and dark-humor were plenty. There were a few slow parts but they were still interesting. For those Hank lovers........this installment is a must read! Hank is back, and hotter than ever! Having Hank commandeer some interesting matters into his own hands really put some spark and pizzazz into this installment.

I highly recommend this book to fellow dark urban fantasy readers and look forward to the next book The Hour of Dust & Ashes due out summer of 2011.

Dead, Undead, or Somewhere in Between
Darkfever (Fever Series, Book 1)
Thorn Queen (Dark Swan, Book 2)
Once Bitten
Deadtown (A Deadtown Novel)

Tumbler
Tumbler
Price: $4.97

3.0 out of 5 stars 40 Acres and a Mule......the Guide for Blue Collar Working-People, October 18, 2010
This review is from: Tumbler (Kindle Edition)
This book has been on my radar for a while now. However, I have no interest in reading young adult books, so I was so surprised when I threw caution to the wind and decided to give this book a chance. Actually, I think the description for this book is incorrect. It definitely can be for adults and also young adults.

I would categorize this as a light SF read. The story takes place in space in one of the astroid belts; however, the author never explained what year the book takes place in. The book is advantageous and doesn't have a young kiddie feel to it at all. However, the story seem to run on and on and I learned more about rocks than I ever wanted to know.

If there was a Tumbler book 2, I'm not sure if I would read it or not. The book wasn't bad and I did enjoy Libby's adventures, but there isn't a huge pull to this story that would inspire or make me want to find out what happens to Libby next. It's not a definite no that I wouldn't read book 2, but I'd have to think it over.

The Clones of Mawcett (A Galaxy Unknown Book 3)
The Clones of Mawcett (A Galaxy Unknown Book 3)
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Warning this Series is Addicting!, October 18, 2010
I strongly suggest you read the previous book in the series (A Galaxy Unknown and Valor At Vauzlee) prior to reading this installment.

The known-space-frontier's favorite protector is back and three times the fun! This particular installment is not as action-paced as the two previous books. However, this installment is no less intense or intriguing. This story is pure adventure and entertainment. My attention was so fiercely glued to each page, I felt like I never wanted the story to end.

To fellow dark urban fantasy readers who are looking for an SF but are unsure of what to take a chance on; I highly recommend this book and series. The writing style am also impatiently looking forward to the next book Trader Vyx due out 11/2/10.

Song of Scarabaeus
Cheat the Grave (Sign of the Zodiac, Book 5)

Bright of the Sky (Book 1 of The Entire and the Rose)
Bright of the Sky (Book 1 of The Entire and the Rose)
by Kay Kenyon
Price: $16.46
66 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, October 1, 2010
I've never heard of this author prior to my download. However, I decided to give her a chance because this is a free download on Kindle and the product description was intriguing.

The book started off slow, there were many parts of this book that felt like the story was just crawling along and the world-building depiction was over done and cumbersome.

I stuck with this book solely because the concept of another universe outside of our own fascinated me. This book was so slow it took me almost 2wks to complete it. So, I finally make it to the end of the book and the ending was a complete and utter disappointment. What a waste!

Sin Undone (Demonica, Book 5)
Sin Undone (Demonica, Book 5)
by Larissa Ione
Price: $8.00
120 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 Star Rating, October 1, 2010
I strongly recommend you read the previous books in this series (Pleasure Unbound, Desire Unchained, Passion Unleashed and Ecstasy Unveiled) prior to reading this book.

My review is based on pure entertainment factor alone. This is the last installment in the Demonica series. The only disappointment I had with this book, is how women are perceived in the demon world as nothing more than something to use like Kleenex or something to barter with. Besides that annoyance, I really enjoyed this book and was completely entertained the entire time. The writing was a bit predictable, but it was done in a way that was still interesting and managed to snatch my attention and keep it.

I have always held this series in high regard, I have always looked forward to every installment and, never had a hard time getting into any of the stories. I'm really going to miss the series but hopefully we'll see more from Sin and the brothers in the future.

I highly recommend this romantic dark urban fantasy to fellow dark urban fantasy readers and look forward to reading Eternal Rider, the first book in the new spin-off series Lords of Deliverance.

Unchained: The Dark Forgotten
First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, Book 1)
Eternal Kiss of Darkness (Night Huntress World, Book 2)
Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, Book 1)
A Rush of Wings: Book One of The Maker's Song

Price: $3.15

5.0 out of 5 stars A Frosty Farewell, September 6, 2010
I strongly recommend you read the previous books in this series ( Trippin and Just Passing Through) prior to reading this book.

Another fantastic installment from Valesque and the lost in deep space tripper crew! Although this installment started off a bit slow, it quickly picked up and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

This adventurous and intoxicating story is literally laugh-out-loud funny! Fellow Space Tripper fans, this book is a must read! Some secrets are revealed and big decisions made that may alter the route of this brilliant series.

I highly recommend this book to fellow dark urban fantasy readers looking for SF books with writing styles similar to urban fantasy. I also impatiently await the next book Will Work for Parts due out 2011.

A Galaxy Unknown
The Better Part of Darkness

Space Trippers Book 2: Just Passing Through
Space Trippers Book 2: Just Passing Through
Price: $3.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Passing Through, September 6, 2010
I strongly recommend you read the previous book in this series ( Trippin) prior to reading this book.

I really enjoyed this installment and was completely entertained the entire time. When I wasn't reading this book I was impatiently ticking off the time until I could pick it back up again. This series is truly addicting. At times this book was so funny I actually laughed-out-loud!

I highly recommend this book to fellow dark urban fantasy readers looking for SF books with writing styles similar to urban fantasy. I also look forward to reading the next book in this series, A Frosty Farewell.

I also recommend:
Valor At Vauzlee (A Galaxy Unknown - Book 2)
Black Magic Sanction (Rachel Morgan, Book 8)
Song of Scarabaeus
Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane)
Blood Song