Profile for Robert Grimm > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Robert Grimm RSS Feed (Omaha, NE)

Strawberry Shortcake Bake Shop - Dessert Maker Game for Kids in Preschool and Kindergarten
Price: $0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars I thought this was a game about Strawberry Shortcake, August 24, 2014
Don't be misled by the title of this game. It's not about Strawberry Shortcake; it's about blatant corporate greed, it's about a complete disregard for children's fun, it's about a failed attempt to manipulate children into vacuums of their parents' wallets.

At every single step of the "game", Strawberry asks to choose between two options, the free one and the in-app purchase one. The voice always describes how much better the purchase options are: slab of butter vs cooking spray, hand whisk vs electric whisk, wooden knife vs cake knife, etc. When the cake is done, the "game" asks to decorate the cake -- all decorations, from sprinkles to candles to coloring, require purchase.

As if constant begging for in-app purchasing wasn't enough, there are full screen ads for other Budge Studios games based on other kids' shows such as Caillou. (The store pages indicate in-app purchasing, so I expect they have similar lack of interest in just letting a kid play and have fun.)

I didn't pay much attention to the cake recipe the "game" offered my 3-year old. I did however, notice that it was asking her to email it to herself. Based on the rest of the game, I wouldn't be surprised if this was a thinly veiled attempt at extracting an email address for marketing purposes.

Needless to say, I strongly recommend avoiding this game and all others by Budge Studios.

Plague Inc.
Plague Inc.
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun game, minor issues, February 9, 2014
This review is from: Plague Inc. (App)
The game itself is fun, and I especially like the ability to unlock all the content rather than paying for it.

There are a few minor issues:
- The integration with Amazon games for tracking progress seems to be broken. Even after I login, my tablet (Nexus 7) will toast me stating that there's no app to receive intent for a specific amzn:// scheme. I think the developers have to accept the login intent explicitly.
- Sometimes dna bubbles appear under UI elements. For example, when a bubble appears under the settings button, it is impossible to tap.

Akinator the Genie
Akinator the Genie
Price: $1.99

1.0 out of 5 stars ￿Unable to use the app due to poor networking., June 5, 2013
This review is from: Akinator the Genie (App)
I cannot open the app. As soon as I try, it gives a toast telling me to retry when I have network connectivity. How do they think I downloaded the app?

Devs: I use bluetooth tethering to get internet on my tablet while on the go. Don't assume that no wifi + no cellular = no internet.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 16, 2013 10:35 PM PDT

Body Glove Icon Case for LG Optimus G (AT&T) E970, Blue/Silver/Orange
Body Glove Icon Case for LG Optimus G (AT&T) E970, Blue/Silver/Orange

5.0 out of 5 stars I never worry about my phone with this case, March 24, 2013
This case fits well without obstructing the screen. The only issue that I've found with this case is that the small bar of hard plastic crossing the bottom-side (above the charge port if the phone is face up) has cracked easily. That piece is not important and doesn't prevent the case from protecting my phone, so I'm not dissatisfied with the case.

Call of Atlantis (Premium)
Call of Atlantis (Premium)
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent way to spend time, January 20, 2013
This review is from: Call of Atlantis (Premium) (App)
I just finished this game. It was fun for most of the game, but later levels began to feel tedious, forcing the same horizontal shifting in order to avoid obstacles. Upon completion, the only prize received is a message box stating that higher difficulty brings higher fun. Not even a cut-scene like I was expecting.

I will likely set this game down now that I have completed it. I don't see any replay value.

Red Weed
Red Weed
Price: $0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars The same strategy beats 11 of 12 levels in 4 moves, January 4, 2013
This review is from: Red Weed (App)
This game has some good potential with nice graphics and sound effects; however, it's not fully realized with an overly predictable AI and 12 variations on a square board.

Where it lost points was in the lack of consideration of standard Android design elements. For example, many menu screens contain an on-screen back button while the physical back button is ignored. Similarly, the menu button does nothing anywhere in the game. As others have mentioned, there is no way to cleanly exit. Altogether, it feels like an afterthought ported from iOS.

The other annoyance was in the simplicity with which each level was completed. First move, jump to the center; second move, jump to convert the opponent's corner. The next two moves are the same, and you've won in 4 moves.

The lack of requested permissions is a breath of fresh air, and I look forward to updates.

Devicewear The Ridge Black Vegan Leather Six Position Case with Flip Stand for Version 1 2012 Nexus 7 (RDG-GN7-BLK)
Price: $30.71
3 used & new from $30.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks like it's part of the Nexus 7, October 8, 2012
This case is very well designed and fits the Nexus 7 perfectly. The standing positions work well and hold steady when I'm pressing against the screen. My only complaint is that the cover makes it slightly awkward to hold the case/Nexus 7 with one hand with a left hand. (Being right-handed, I prefer to hold the device with my left hand and swipe the screen with my right hand.)

amFilm (TM) Premium Screen Protector Film Clear (Invisible) for Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2-Pack) (NOT for the newest Nexus 7) [in AM Retail Packing]
Offered by sims pieces
Price: $2.20
4 used & new from $1.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Very close fit; good protection for stressful application, October 8, 2012
Overall, I'm very pleased with this screen protector. It fits well and protects the entire screen, and application was stressful but not impossible. It is a dry application which will not risk damaging your Nexus 7 if you have one with a minor glass defect. (This is a fairly common problem from what I understand; my own Nexus 7's screen slightly protrudes from the enclosure on the left-hand side. It's not enough to warrant sending it back because it doesn't cause any problems, but if I had tried to use a wet-application then I'm sure I would have caused water-damage to the Nexus 7.)

In order to apply, I peeled only the top edge of the back-side-film away from the screen protector and lined it up with the top edge of the Nexus 7. From there, I slowly peeled the film away and allowed the screen protector to come in contact with the Nexus 7 glass. (The film was curled between the protector and the Nexus 7 screen as I pulled down-and-away.) The only problem was that the film on the front-side of the protector (facing away from the Nexus) had a sticker covering the only place that the protector sticks out past the glass -- I have a permanent bubble that was impossible to see because of the sticker.

The protector does become visibly dirty faster than the glass of the Nexus 7, but it provides good quality protection all around.

Also of note: I have not experienced any reduction in sensitivity of the touchscreen; my Nexus 7 still picks up my fingers when I barely brush them across the surface of the screen protector.

Yookoso! Invitation to Contemporary Japanese Student Edition with Online Learning Center Bind-In Card
by Yasu-Hiko Tohsaku
Price: $166.84
57 used & new from $80.07

2.0 out of 5 stars After 3 editions, a student would hope for more, August 4, 2008
Over the past three months, I've taken two summer classes using this textbook. To learn two semesters-worth of a language in such a short time-frame, it is essential to have a good textbook. Unfortunately, I feel cheated.

To begin on a very superficial level, the book is just plain ugly. There are two colors of ink used throughout the entire book: dark olive green and black. Because of the lack of colors, excessive stereotyping seems to have been used to strive for a more politically correct set of example students. For example, the token African-American learner--or as the book calls him, Henry Curtis--is always drawn with lips at least as large as 1/4 of his face. No other example student is drawn this way.

During my summer classes, I would often find myself lost on the exercises. I would repeatedly read the grammar notes (which are nothing more than outlines with little detail), before accepting defeat and asking for help from our teacher. Imagine my surprise to find out that I was one of the better students in the class! Few students understood the book by itself, and it seemed as though nothing was learned unless the teacher explained it separately from the book. In my experience, books should supplement a teacher in the opposite way: provide a student reference in the cases that the teacher is not available.

Having had students in the class with previous editions of the book was also quite interesting. I can almost list the changes in their entirety: both kanji and hiragana on vocabulary lists (as opposed to one or the other in previous editions), and roughly 1 to 2 new exercises for each chapter. All the existing exercises were worded the same, and included the same "misprints."

It is a bit of a misnomer when I say "vocabulary lists." There is no consistent way of finding vocabulary throughout the chapters. The end-of-chapter lists often leave out words introduced in mid-chapter lists.

All-in-all, I'm very dissatisfied with this text. I learned a lot from these past two classes, but I feel as though I may have learned just as much if we used no textbook at all.