Profile for Steve > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 979

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Steve RSS Feed (Massachusetts, USA)
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Firefly Hollow
Firefly Hollow
by Alison McGhee
Price: $13.08

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like the classic "Wind in the Willows" or Kate DiCamillo's ..., April 16, 2015
This review is from: Firefly Hollow (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you like the classic "Wind in the Willows" or Kate DiCamillo's "Because of Winn Dixie", you'll like this book. The animal characters are as delightful and entertaining as Frog and Toad, but the tone is more modern and the adventures as heartfelt as the search for the dog in Because of Winn Dixie.

The story is about three characters: a firefly who wants to fly to the moon, a cricket who wants to play baseball, and a human boy, Peter, who misses his best friend. As they befriend and learn to trust each other, they help each other find what they're all looking for -- despite the fact that Peter's family thinks his bug friends are imaginary, and crickets and fireflies are taught that humans are dangerous.

This story is appropriate for boys or girls of any age, and includes 15 full color plates of art as well as small black and white illustrations interspersed with the text. It would be a great choice for a child who starts reading early, and needs a longer or higher-level text beyond the level of early readers. I look forward to reading it with my son.

DII 100% Cotton, Machine Washable, Perfect Shower, Baby or Birthday Gift for Toddler 32x32" Hooded Towel for Infant to Toddler - Monster
Price: $18.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This towel is an adorable gift for a baby or toddler, April 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This towel is an adorable gift for a baby or toddler. We received several infant towels as gifts, but our baby was growing out of them. This towel is a larger size that fits a baby in 9-month clothes perfectly, with some extra room to spare. The part that covers the head is plenty large to grow into, also.

The colors are bright and true to the photo. We haven't washed it yet so not sure how it will hold up. The fabric isn't super high quality -- but soft enough for baby's skin. I'm very happy with this product overall!

New Chapter Perfect Postnatal Multivitamin Tablet, 48 Count
New Chapter Perfect Postnatal Multivitamin Tablet, 48 Count
Price: $22.42
5 used & new from $17.37

3.0 out of 5 stars My wife is breastfeeding our 4-month-old son now, and ..., April 5, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My wife is breastfeeding our 4-month-old son now, and thought she'd give these vitamins a try instead of the prenatal vitamin she'd been taking. We didn't realize until we got them that they suggest taking a pill 3x each day. It's hard enough to remember to take them twice a day. She definitely prefers the convenience of her one-a-day prenatal vitamins (CVS generic brand). Plus, it's a lot more economical - these tablets work out to $23 for only 16 days worth of pills.

She hasn't had any side effects from this vitamin - no nausea, even when taken on an empty stomach.

Here are how some of the key ingredients compare vs. the one-a-day prenatal (if you take this 3x a day)

NewChapter
500% Vitamin B12 - 5x as much as generic
50% Iron - 1/3 as much as generic
67% Zinc - about 1/2 as much as generic

Calcium & Vitamin A - about the same

Extra stuff only in the NewChapter vitamin:
Vitamin K, Biotin, Pantothenic Acid, Selenium, Copper, Manganese, Chromium, Molybdenum, plus Kelp powder, Herbal blend, Black Cumin, and Turmeric

Our OB suggests taking a prenatal vitamin while breastfeeding, so there doesn't seem to be any medical reason to switch to a postnatal, though some of the amounts are quite different. We also don't buy into the organic and non-GMO attributes of the NewChapter brand, which some people might find important. We're planning to go back to the generic brand once she's done with these.

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Potato and Kangaroo Dry Dog Food, 6/4-Pound
Price: $19.99
7 used & new from $15.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Our dog has had digestion issues her whole life. ..., April 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Our dog has had digestion issues her whole life. We started her out on Taste of the Wild, then switched to Blue Buffalo Basics, but she still regularly had soft stools or diarrhea. We kept having to put her on a bland diet, but didn't want to buy prescription food.

We switched her to this Natural Balance Kangaroo & Potato food about two weeks ago, and so far, she's had normal stools. She also loves the food - but then again, she loves any food!

The only reason I give this four stars is the price. It costs about $55 for a 22 lb bag. You can get a 24 lb bag of Blue Buffalo for the same price, or a 30 lb bag of Taste of the Wild for about $50. So it's definitely not the most economical choice.

Also, the food is really made out of kangaroos, which isn't a negative to me, but I do find it a little bizarre... but hey, why not?

OTC (5950K) Crimpro 4-in-1 Wire Service Set
OTC (5950K) Crimpro 4-in-1 Wire Service Set
Price: $36.92

4.0 out of 5 stars they both feel very solid and the hinge is extremely sturdy. The strippers, March 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For some context at the start: I'm not a professional electrician or anything, I just do occasional home DIY repairs and hobbyist electrician projects.

These are two solid tools. They aren't flimsy or lightweight, they both feel very solid and the hinge is extremely sturdy. The strippers, cutters, and crimpers all do the job well. The one negative that I can point out is that the handles are a bit skinny and will likely be hard on your hands with prolonged use. This also can make working with thicker material difficult. For the projects that I typically take on, these tools are perfect.

Gaiam Athletic Yoga Series 2gripMAT Xtra-Large Mat, Black, 5mm
Gaiam Athletic Yoga Series 2gripMAT Xtra-Large Mat, Black, 5mm
Price: $74.98

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite thing about this mat is that it's extra long, March 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My favorite thing about this mat is that it's extra long. I've used many different mats before, and I often wound up with my feet off the end of the mat. I'm 5' 10", so not super tall, but still - regular sized mats never felt long enough. Also, this mat is made of a material that feels both firm and soft. I can kneel on this mat without any pain, but it's not too squishy to bear weight evenly.

The mat rolls up easily and stores well. It's a bit on the heavy side, but I think that's worth it for the length and material. My only complaint is that when new, the mat has a chemical smell to it, but that should fade with use.

Also - word of caution - if your dog walks on the mat, the nails will scratch the surface! The scratches don't do major damage to the mat, they just don't look very pretty.

T.S. Shure ArchiQuest Wooden Pirate Blocks Play Set & Storybook
T.S. Shure ArchiQuest Wooden Pirate Blocks Play Set & Storybook
Price: $27.73
7 used & new from $15.95

4.0 out of 5 stars and I like the many different sizes and shapes of the blocks, February 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This set of blocks caught my eye because it allows for two different type of play. My son will be able to build with the blocks from a young age, and when he gets a little older, he will imagine stories about the different characters and items pictured on the blocks. The art style is cute and colorful, the characters are interesting, and I like the many different sizes and shapes of the blocks. They are made of solid wood, and feel substantial but not too heavy.

However, the art painted on the blocks may not last. When our set arrived, the lacquer was already peeling off of the shark block, and I worry that little teeth may quickly ruin the art on many more of the blocks!

Also, the picture book included with the set is poorly done. The writing is too advanced for the age of the child who will be using the set, and there is way too much text per page. The text is also badly set on some pages -- it overlaps the art. A good editor could have made the story much better.

Despite those two drawbacks, I think this is a delightful gift for a young child, and I can't wait until my son is old enough so we can play with it together!

TP-LINK Archer T8E AC1750 Dual Band Wireless PCI Express Adapter, 2.4Ghz 450Mbps + 5Ghz 1300Mbps, 3T3R MIMO
Price: $59.99
42 used & new from $41.50

4.0 out of 5 stars and it seems like that might be what makes the difference, February 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I installed this card into a Windows 8.1 desktop machine with the Windows drivers, and it gets a fairly-solid 3-bar connection. This connection has dropped out on me once or twice, but it is nothing near the chronic signal dropping that many other reviewers have been mentioned. I did not install the included drivers, and it seems like that might be what makes the difference.

The physical install was very straightforward and simple into a PCI slot.

Netgear Nighthawk Wi-Fi Range Extender AC1900 Dual Band Gigabit (EX7000-100NAS)
Netgear Nighthawk Wi-Fi Range Extender AC1900 Dual Band Gigabit (EX7000-100NAS)
Price: $169.99
46 used & new from $138.61

5.0 out of 5 stars The bottom line is that the performance of this extender is excellent. The wifi now covers the entire house (and ..., February 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Unfortunately the cable line in my house is at one end, and our master bedroom is all the way on the other end - as a result I would get spotty wifi access when using a laptop or iPad in the bedroom. I've been thinking about getting a range extender for a while to fix this problem, and the Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 has solved my issue admirably. The bottom line is that the performance of this extender is excellent. The wifi now covers the entire house (and more of the yard) and the connection is excellent.

Connecting the Extender to your wifi is very simple if your wifi router supports WPS (which mine did). Basically all you need to do is plug in the Extender close to your router, press the WPS button and the connection should complete. After this, you can unplug the Extender, move it to its permanent location, and plug it back in. You're good to go. I did have one minor problem with the install: I could not get my 5 Ghz wireless network to connect through WPS. The 2.4 Ghz network connected fine, but I had to use the web based setup method. This was straightforward and worked fine, but a bit frustrating because I tried to get it to work through WPS many times before giving up.

I don't think the minor install issue is enough to reduce the rating to 4 stars (I'd go 4.5 if I could). Everything else about this product has been great. Highly recommended if this is what you're looking for.

Lyric 2619066 Supreme Wild Bird Mix, 4.5-Pound Bag
Lyric 2619066 Supreme Wild Bird Mix, 4.5-Pound Bag
Price: $7.99
14 used & new from $7.59

5.0 out of 5 stars especially in the winter because I feel bad for all of the birds around having to brave ..., January 31, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I always have bird feeders up in our yard, especially in the winter because I feel bad for all of the birds around having to brave the cold New England winters. I've had this Lyric feed in one of our feeders for about the past week and the birds love it. There's a constant small crowd of birds (and the occasional squirrel) around the feeder chowing down every time I head outside.

One other thing I noticed that is worth pointing out is that this seed was very clean. Sometimes when buying bird seed it's all dusty when you open the bag, but that wasn't the case here.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20