Profile for Steve > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 802

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Steve RSS Feed (Massachusetts, USA)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
simplehuman 50L-Liter / 13-Gallon Semi-Round Step Trash Can, Black Plastic
simplehuman 50L-Liter / 13-Gallon Semi-Round Step Trash Can, Black Plastic
Price: $49.97
8 used & new from $44.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for dog owners, July 18, 2014
We bought this trash can because our dog was constantly poking her nose into the old one. She may not like this new trash can, but it works great! The clip holds the lid securely if you want to keep pets out, the opening mechanism works well, standard trash bags work perfectly, and it seems to be fairly well constructed. It's held up well so far. This trash can isn't anything fancy, but it's a great product and I'd buy another one.

Scotch Magic Tape, 3/4 x 1000 Inches, 10-Count Package (810K10)
Scotch Magic Tape, 3/4 x 1000 Inches, 10-Count Package (810K10)
Offered by sunwestnewmedia
Price: $14.59
46 used & new from $12.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tape!, July 18, 2014
Exactly what you'd expect! Great tape, works well. Close to invisible when applied, and fits into my large disposable plastic dispenser. If you're looking for this type of tape, this product is what you want!

Quiksilver Men's Platypus Short, Khaki, 34
Quiksilver Men's Platypus Short, Khaki, 34
Price: $48.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Shorts, July 18, 2014
These are solid shorts. They fit as I'd expect, stopping just above the knee. The material is very light, lighter than I expected, but that makes them perfect for very hot summer days. These shorts look nice enough to wear to work, but are flexible/light enough for exercise or even a swim on the way home. They don't wrinkle easily. Normal zipper with a velcro-surrounded snap at the waist that's a little weird, but not too bad.

Not much else to say, a solid pair of shorts!

Chasing Our Tails Elk Rack Snack, 100-Percent All Naturally Shed Elk Antler Chew, Extra Large Size 10-Inch to 12-Inch, For up to 90# Dogs
Offered by Top Dog Chews
Price: $20.50
7 used & new from $17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for Powerful Chewers!, July 18, 2014
My dog is a 70 lb black lab/hound mutt and is what they call a "powerful chewer". I've tried elk antlers from a bunch of different companies, and my dog seems to love all of them - but this is the largest and most long-lasting antler that I've found so far. I worry a bit about her because this thing seems to be as hard as a rock, but she's been chewing it for quite some time now and hasn't had any issues yet. Be sure to keep an eye on your dogs while they gnaw away!

Thai Iced Tea Mix, Traditional Restaurant Style, 16 oz. (Pack of 2)
Thai Iced Tea Mix, Traditional Restaurant Style, 16 oz. (Pack of 2)
Offered by Le Saigon
Price: $14.80
4 used & new from $10.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Restaurant-style Thai iced tea at home!, July 18, 2014
I've been searching for a way to make restaurant-style Thai iced tea at home for years, and have finally found it! I tried a bunch of other teas and recipes and nothing was quite right, but this tea is perfect. Brew it up strong, add sweetened condensed milk and maybe a touch of cream and you're good to go! Easy and delicious.

Turtle Beach Ear Force XO Seven Premium Xbox One Gaming Headset
Turtle Beach Ear Force XO Seven Premium Xbox One Gaming Headset
Price: $129.75
56 used & new from $102.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product for a closed-ear headphone, April 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There are a bunch of lengthy reviews of these headphones, so I'll try to boil it down to a list of pros and cons based on my experience:

Pros:
- Very comfortable
- Solid sound quality. I'm not an audiophile, but these sounds excellent to my uneducated ears.
- Excellent packaging.
- Independent game/chat volume controls.

Cons:
- Can't hear yourself talk. I know this may sound obvious for closed headphones/mic combinations, but I had only used open headsets before and it was very disorienting/weird.
- Game and chat volumes were tough to balance for me. It was hard to get a mix where I felt I was hearing both at an appropriate level. Maybe not specific to these headphones.

Also note that when you connect this headset it will require an update via Xbox One, so don't plug them in during the middle of a Titanfall match!

Panavise PortaGrip Phone Holder with Windshield Mount
Panavise PortaGrip Phone Holder with Windshield Mount
Price: $26.99
61 used & new from $20.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Straightforward and functional, February 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've used a few different phone mounts over the past few years, and I'd recommend this one if you're looking for a cheap and functional solution. There's not a ton to say, it does pretty much exactly what you'd expect - but here are some specific things I noticed:

- It sticks well to my windshield, but won't stick to my dashboard.
- The bottom piece swings out so that an iPhone 5 headphone can be used. My last unit didn't accommodate the new iPhone well at all, and I'd have to angle the phone out awkwardly to access the jack.
- Phone is held very securely.
- Angle adjustment seems straightforward enough during my experimentation, but personally I just set mine in place and leave it in the one position forever.

FoodSaver 4840 Vacuum Sealing System with Bonus Built-in Retractable Handheld Sealer, Starter Kit, Heat-Seal and Zipper Bags
Price: $171.25
17 used & new from $143.36

2.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Frustrating, January 12, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I use vacuum sealers fairly frequently for sous vide cooking and storage of vegetables, etc. Normally I use the FoodSaver V3240 Vacuum Sealing System, and I was excited to give this model a chance. Unfortunately my experience was very frustrating!

The core of the problem is that this vacuum sealer can only be activated via automatic sensor when your bag has been inserted. When it works correctly the functionality is solid, but this automatic sensor is extremely tricky to get to fire. I have a lot of experience with this sort of thing, and I couldn't get it to work. My wife tried and couldn't get it to work either. It probably took us 15 minutes of messing around to get our chicken thighs vacuum sealed for dinner. This automation is not a good thing, and turns this product into something I'm not interested in at all.

I'll be going back to the V3240.

by Michio Kaku
Price: $21.39
93 used & new from $11.28

5.0 out of 5 stars State of the Art Neuroscience, December 28, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Short Review: Interested in getting current with state of the art neuroscience and some philosophical discussions about our brain and consciousness? If so, read this approachable and easy-to-understand book!

Longer Review:

Michio Kaku is a theoretical physicist with a knack for explaining difficult concepts with simple analogies and clear descriptions. I've been a fan for some years now, and I thoroughly enjoyed Physics of the Impossible, Parallel Worlds, and Hyperspace. I was a bit surprised when I heard that Kaku was extending a bit outside his theoretical physics wheelhouse to write a book about the brain - but I'm very glad I decided to give this one a read.

After reading this book I feel like I'm much more up to date with where we currently stand when it comes to state-of-the-art neuroscience. Kaku stresses greatly the avalanche of modern neuroscience progress that was triggered by widespread use of MRI technology starting in the 90s, and this new information is forcing us to confront and redevelop longstanding ideas regarding our brains. A discussion of the various technological developments unlocking this new information leads into some philosophical discussion of consciousness and what makes us 'human'.

The bulk of the remainder of The Future of the Mind is focused on how the increase in brain-technology will affect the world, including discussions of telepathy, telekinesis, memory implants, memory recording, potential mental illness cures, brain enhancement, and mind reading. He also discusses different 'types' of consciousness including things like the consciousness of robots and the potential consciousness of alien life forms. The topics covered are very forward thinking, and there is a lot of time devoted to the various ways in which we will likely continue to stride forward in the future (such as the section on reverse engineering the brain). As you can tell this is a huge range of topics, and reading The Future of the Mind it sure sounds like we're just scraping the surface of potential topics with this book. Prepare to feel overwhelmed at how quickly brain science is marching along.

Kaku interviewed a huge number of experts in the field of neuroscience, and quotes from their conversations are features prominently throughout. A common pattern in the book is to reveal a shocking-but-true fact or experimental result about our brain accompanied by a metaphor and/or expert quote easing into an explanation that is understandable and clear. This approach works well in general, and keeps the pages turning. I had a hard time putting this book down, and brought it to work to finish during my lunch break. I have a habit of highlighting interesting/important passages whenever I read science books, and practically the entire book was highlighted by the time I was finished by this one!

It's hard to come up with any significant negatives for this review, but I have to mention that Kaku's constant movie references grew tiresome for me after a while. Many of the concepts in this book are introduced by way of "This happened in a movie and now it's happening FOR REAL!" I understand the benefits of this approach, but I could have used a bit more variety - I felt the technique was overused. Just a minor complaint, but something I noticed.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 2, 2014 4:00 PM PDT

Crescent CTK170CMP2 Mechanics Tool Set, 170-Piece
Crescent CTK170CMP2 Mechanics Tool Set, 170-Piece
Price: $99.99
5 used & new from $99.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for anyone into do-it-yourself projects, December 8, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This toolset is the perfect kit for your average do-it-yourself homeowner or weekend handyman. If you're looking for professional quality-tools then you'll be disappointed, but if you want a wide assortment of ratchets, wrenches, pliers, keys, etc. for around the house projects then this is a great set. Everything is of reasonable quality, although there are some issues with the finish on a few of the items in my set - it's no big deal, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

The case is fairly large and heavy, which isn't surprising because there's a lot of stuff in there. The tools are held very securely in the case, and some are actually in there too tight - it can be tough to get them out. The whole set can easily fit into a closet or the trunk of a car.

In summary this is a great set of tools for the price, and includes everything that the average DIY homeowner would expect from a set like this. Highly recommended!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20