Profile for Steve > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 809

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Steve RSS Feed (Massachusetts, USA)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Adobe Ink and Slide Creative Cloud Connected Stylus for iPad (ADBIS)
Adobe Ink and Slide Creative Cloud Connected Stylus for iPad (ADBIS)
Price: $176.69
3 used & new from $174.99

3.0 out of 5 stars and the stylus is comfortable and feel good to hold, November 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The first thing I noticed about this product was how sleek and well designed the stylus and packaging are. The color choice and overall design aesthetic will remind you of modern Apple products, and the stylus is comfortable and feel good to hold. Some other reviewer have mentioned that it is awkward, but this is not my experience. The pressure sensitivity seems a little clunky, but the stylus feels good in my hand.

I wouldn't recommend purchasing this unless you are a Creative Cloud customer. It only works on newer iPads with Adobe Illustrator Line. It works well within this suite, and I had a lot of fun making some quick sketches. I am not an art master, and someone with a higher skill level may have had a different experience. I have some experience with Cintiq tablets, and this setup isn't nearly as sensitive. There is also a bit of lag that makes smooth strokes especially difficult. This would be a poor replacement for a dedicated, higher-end graphics tablet - but it's not bad for a budget solution. The problem is that it's fairly expensive, so it's not so much in the "budget" category.

The battery lasted around 5 hours, which isn't as long as I would naively think based on the functionality. So make sure to keep the (nicely designed) charging station handy if this is going to be something you use often.

Carhartt Men's  Rain Defender Paxton Heavy-Weight Hooded Sweatshirt
Carhartt Men's Rain Defender Paxton Heavy-Weight Hooded Sweatshirt
Price: $44.99 - $49.95

5.0 out of 5 stars and it's easily the most "heavyweight" hoodie that I own, November 10, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The first thing you'll notice when you pick up this sweatshirt is how heavyweight it really is. The weight is surprising, and it's easily the most "heavyweight" hoodie that I own. I've worn it so far doing yardwork in this New England autumn. Even though the outside is very tightly woven and smooth, the inside is soft and comfortable. I have worn it outside in very light rain and it did a good job keeping me dry, but I'm not sure how long you would want to wear it outside in significantly heavy rain. If I end up in that situation I'll be sure to update my review.

If you're looking for a warm, rugged hoodie that's comfortable and will keep you somewhat dry then this is a great product that I can definitely recommend. It's a Carhartt product and lives up to the company's reputation.

Logitech 915-000237 Harmony Ultimate Home Touch Screen Remote for 15 Home Entertainment and Automation Devices (Black)
Price: $299.99
5 used & new from $299.99

4.0 out of 5 stars and will likely be the worst part of your experience with it, November 10, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Setting up this remote was very frustrating for me, and will likely be the worst part of your experience with it. While it seemed at first that everything was working perfectly, after running through the initial setup tutorial I went to test my "Watch TV" button and... nothing happened.

There's a troubleshooting function that seems great in theory, but I ran through it many times and everything seemed to be working correctly. I went back and forth between the setup and help forums for a long time, and eventually I got it working although I honestly can't tell you what I did differently from the other times when I couldn't get it to work. It just started working, and once I got "Watch TV" working everything else was reasonably easy to setup.

Without going into too many details, I can tell you that I spent about 2 hours setting this remote up. At the end of that I had my Roku, Apple TV, cable box, and TV all set up and pretty much functional. The remote is beautiful and the screen looks great. It's well designed and easy to use, comfortable and ergonomic.

After the painful setup, I'd say that the only other negative that I can think of with this remote is that it's yet another thing that has to be plugged in on my entertainment center. In fact, two new things need to be plugged in: the remote charging station and the hub. This isn't a huge negative, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Finally I'd say that you should check the list of supported devices to make sure the electronics you want to control are supported by this remote. I was disappointed that the Playstation 4 is not supported with this remote (apparently the PS3 is though), because that's my primary game/media console right now.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 29, 2014 11:24 AM PST

Munchkin Steam Guard Electric Sterilizer
Munchkin Steam Guard Electric Sterilizer
Price: $25.83
16 used & new from $25.83

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sterilizer for large batches of bottles, October 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got this sterilizer so I wouldn't have to boil water or wait for a dishwasher cycle to complete. I plan to use it for bottles and breast pump parts. It only takes 6 minutes to sterilize a batch, which is great! As other commenters have noted, it's large - but it's also very light and portable, so it doesn't have to sit out on the counter all of the time. Also, the large size and removable top tray means you could easily sterilize toys or other larger items.

I like the tongs that come with it - they clip onto the tray's handle, and you can use them to pull out the sterilized bottles without touching anything.

I was a little disappointed but not really surprised to learn that you're supposed to wash bottles with soapy water and rinse before putting them in the sterilizer - it's not a one-stop cleaning solution.

I've only used it twice so far, so I haven't run into any issues with rust or cleaning yet. The instructions say to thoroughly dry the sterilizer after each use -- that's easy enough to do and probably helps prevent the rust. You're also supposed to run a cleaning cycle with vinegar once a week. The amount of buildup you get likely depends on the amount of sediment in your tap water.

Overall, this seems like a great product, though the $45 price tag seems too steep. Right now it's on sale for $26, which is very reasonable.

Outdoor Tech OT1600 Kodiak 6000mAh 2.1amp Water/Dust/Shock PROOF Ruggedized Portable Charger/External Battery (Black)
Offered by TA2 Trading
Price: $58.56
4 used & new from $42.43

4.0 out of 5 stars this might be good enough. This charger is very rugged, October 11, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've tested this charger on three different products. It charges my iPhone 5 completely with some juice left over, but doesn't fully charge my iPad. It brings the battery level up significantly, but isn't a full charge. Depending on your use case, this might be good enough.

This charger is very rugged. The outer casing is tough and as far as I can tell the product is no worse for the wear after a few drop tests. If you are interested in a tough battery charger, then I think you will likely be happy with how well protected this one is. One thing to be aware of is that this charger weighs a little over half of a pound. I've done a lot of backpacking in my life and know that this is a significant amount of weight to add for a longer hike, so just be aware.

Battery Tender (022-0186G-DL-WH) 12V 5 Amp Battery Charger
Battery Tender (022-0186G-DL-WH) 12V 5 Amp Battery Charger
Price: $81.56
9 used & new from $60.21

5.0 out of 5 stars I was very happy to have this Battery Tender on hand, October 8, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Last weekend I went outside to mow my lawn and found that my riding lawnmower had a dead battery. I was very happy to have this Battery Tender on hand, because it resolved my problem quickly and easily.

This product gets high marks for ease-of-use, it couldn't be much simpler - just plug it in, attach the cables to the battery, and let it sit for a while. It comes with multiple different clip types (alligator clip style and rings) to accommodate different battery types. There are indicator lights on the body of this product that keeps you informed of the status of your charge.

This unit is small enough to be stored on a shelf in your garage or left in the trunk of your car for emergency situations. This product is fantastic, and I see myself getting a lot of use out of it in the future. It's simple and just works.

Black and Decker TO1303SB 4-Slice Toaster Oven
Black and Decker TO1303SB 4-Slice Toaster Oven
Price: $29.92
14 used & new from $23.99

5.0 out of 5 stars this toaster oven is a great choice. The toaster oven cooks toast or bagels ..., October 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
With a compact size that doesn't take up much room on your counter, plus plenty of room to toast 4 pieces of bread at once, this toaster oven is a great choice.

The toaster oven cooks toast or bagels very evenly, and the oven features work great to quickly heat up small amounts of fried foods or leftovers that would get mushy in the microwave. My one complaint is that the lowest "toast" setting comes out too dark -- if you're toasting something thin, you'll have to watch and stop it before it dings. I've never used the darkest toast setting.

The toaster also comes with a "keep warm" setting, which I haven't seen on a toaster before. That's a nice feature.

The oven is easy to clean and maintain. Our previous toaster oven came with a rack and a tray to sit on top of the rack, and the bottom of the oven didn't detach completely -- making cleaning out crumbs very difficult. The crumb tray in this toaster oven is removable, and the baking tray slides under the rack as a back-up crumb tray, or sits on top for baking. Very useful!

To summarize:

Pros
- compact size on counter
- roomy inside
- cooks evenly
- heats up quickly
- great design for easy cleaning
- keep warm feature

Cons
- toast comes out darker than expected

Fisher Price Cradle 'n Swing - My Little Snugapuppy
Fisher Price Cradle 'n Swing - My Little Snugapuppy
5 used & new from $195.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to put together, lots of features, September 13, 2014
Length:: 3:15 Mins

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance L.I.T Sweet Potato and Chicken Meal Dental Chew for Regular Breeds
Price: $15.66
17 used & new from $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My dog loves them!, August 31, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These treats are advertised for dogs between 25 and 50 pounds, so I was a bit worried that my 70 lb powerful chewer black lab Maya would tear through these too quickly - but they about 4 inches long and are tough enough that she spends a few minutes gnawing away at each one. If you have a powerful chewer, I wouldn't let the weight guidelines deter you - these treats may still be worth a shot for your pup.

The one downside I can think of with these treats is that they are not cheap. You get 12 to a bag and a bag costs around $20. Even though they're a bit expensive, you're paying for quality. Natural Balance has a good reputation and these treats are made with a short list of relatively high quality ingredients (Sweet Potato, Chicken Meal, Glycerin, Natural Chicken Flavor, Lecithin, Sorbic Acid (preservative), L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate).

I can't really vouch for the breath-freshening aspect of these chews - Maya loves having her teeth brushed and her breath is typically pretty fresh anyway.

In summary, my dog loves them and when this bag runs out I'll be buying another one!

KOBI ELECTRIC K2L3 19-watt (100-Watt) A21 LED 5000K COOL White Light Bulb, Dimmable
Price: $25.00
4 used & new from $24.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic bulb in the correct situation, August 31, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The first thing you'll notice about this bulb is that only the top 1/3 or so of the bulb actually produces light. The second thing you'll notice is that the bulb is quite heavy - it's somewhere around half a pound and far heavier than traditional light bulbs. These two qualities mean that you'll have to think a bit about where exactly you want to use this light. Your ideal location needs to be able to support a heavy bulb and also not suffer from the fact that light doesn't come out of the sides of the bulb as much as a traditional solution would.

Assuming you have a place in your house that makes sense for this bulb, it's an excellent product. There are a few negative qualities that I have seen with other LED light bulbs: buzzing sounds, flickering, delayed illumination. Thankfully this particular bulb doesn't suffer from any of those issues. It's pretty much silent, doesn't flicker at all, and illuminates pretty much instantly. I'm very happy with this light bulb and I've already ordered another one. Highly recommended!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20