Profile for tornadokat > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 22

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

tornadokat RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
TRENDnet 5-Port Unmanaged Gigabit GREENnet Desktop Metal Housing Switch, TEG-S50g
Price: $18.75
97 used & new from $16.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Works fine but not as pictured, power jack moved to side instead of rear, November 26, 2014
I needed a small 5 port gigabit switch that specifically had the lights in the front and the network plus power jacks in the back because this was going on a $10,000 videoconferencing system in plain view and I didn't want the power jack on the side with an ugly power cord sticking out of it. The picture showed the back of the unit with the power jack there and three rows of lights in the front, but the unit I received has one row of lights, which is OK, but the power jack is on the left side near the front. My three star rating is not because the picture is different, which is either Amazon's fault for not updating it or TRENDnet's fault for not notifying Amazon they changed the design but not the model #. It is because putting the jack on the side makes the cable layout less clean and organized which was a bad decision.
Comment Comment | Permalink

NOCO Genius GC004 10' Extension Cable
NOCO Genius GC004 10' Extension Cable
Price: $13.44
11 used & new from $11.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, wish it came in a longer length, June 13, 2014
10' wasn't quite enough to make it to the travel trailer parked outside so I had to run an extension cord from an outlet in the garage to the charger and mount it right by the door then use this extension from charger to trailer. I could see same problem just reaching where you need inside a large garage if you wanted to mount the charger on the wall. If they made it in 15 feet that would be perfect. I haven't checked if you can daisy chain two of these but it would cost them hardly nothing extra to use 15 feet of wire instead of 10... I would pay a buck more for the extra wire that probably cost them 15 cents.

250mm No LED Fan
250mm No LED Fan
Offered by lakeplacegames
Price: $50.99
2 used & new from $24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I bought this for RV and Travel Trailer use, June 13, 2014
I have a Fantastic Fan in my travel trailer in the front over the bed but it can be more than I need at times... too loud, too much air flow, and uses too much juice when dry camping... so I bought this. I only paid about 14 bucks with shipping... now I see it is 25-55 dollars... that is too much. I do like the fan. I mounted it to a thin piece of plywood, put a cigarette lighter plug on it, and prop it when we need it in the window over the sink where I have three cigarette lighter jacks for 12v devices and chargers. It moves enough air that if I open the window beside the bed on the opposite side of the trailer we can feel the air across us and we can't even hear it running. Or we will open a different window or vent if we want some air flow but not right across the bed. We like how it works so much I am going to mount one or two smaller fans made for computers in the bathroom vent in place of the pathetic tiny noisy factory and save the $400 a dealer would charge to install one.

Mushkin Enhanced MKNSSDBRKT2535 3.5-Inch to 2.5-Inch Drive Adapter Bracket
Mushkin Enhanced MKNSSDBRKT2535 3.5-Inch to 2.5-Inch Drive Adapter Bracket
Offered by Hot Deals 4 Less
Price: $8.68
7 used & new from $3.74

1.0 out of 5 stars As others say, too short to work in many PC's, June 13, 2014
- This is just like the one that comes with Kingston HyperX SSD drives and they are both useless in many computers. I am a tech for a mid-sized company and we are upgrading some of our computers if they aren't too old to need replacement. We have Dell and HP computers and this bracket isn't the length of a 3.5" drive so does not line up with the holes or slots in the drive bays. By slots I mean many business computers have quick release designs where you push or pull a lever and the drive slides right out but the drives use a special screw, which you can reuse, but the only place for these screws to fit is the front and rear of a 3.5" drive. Since this is not full length, one set of screws cannot line up with the holes or slots in the drive bay.

- Also, as others mention, the drive mounts inside this bracket too close to the screw holes which can cause the screw to hit the drive.

- We have found the best adapters are one piece all metal ones that are the full size of a 3.5" drive. These cost 7 or 8 dollars here on Amazon such as the Kingwin Kingwin 2.5 Inch to 3.5 Inch Internal Hard Disk Drive Mounting Kit or Silverstone Silverstone Tek 3.5-Inch to 2 X 2.5-Inch Hard Drive HDD SSD Bay Converter, Silver (SDP08).

GRV T10 921 194 24-3528 SMD LED Bulb lamp Super Bright Warm White DC 12V Pack of 10
Offered by GRV-LED
Price: $48.99

5.0 out of 5 stars So far they work great!, January 30, 2014
Originally I purchased a 10 pack of these GRV bulbs to try out from another Amazon listing here:

after trying them, I ordered another 10 pack of these. The first ones had a large capacitor and more parts on the backside. They put out almost the same amount and color of light as the incandescent 921's that came with my travel trailer. These have a very slightly less warm, more natural white color than the first pack which I like more even though the first ones were fine. The difference was just enough to notice if one of each was in the same fixture, but small enough that if two of one are in one fixture and two of the other are in another fixture you don't notice.

Power draw:
These draw 0.135 amps each, on average, off a freshly charged battery. The original incandescent 921's in the trailer draw 1.45 amps each on average... and there were two in most of the fixtures so I'm saving about 2.6 amps per fixture. Changing to LED's is the first thing I would suggest for anyone dry camping (boondocking) in a motor home or travel trailer.

Other notes:
The socket in the range hood is angled so it makes the bulb face the back of the range instead of straight down. I may either bend the bracket holding the bulb or get a swivel one I saw here on Amazon. As others commented, these can be fragile. I straightened the wires when I first opened them because some were quite crooked and would have made them really difficult to insert into the socket. I pushed them in by holding onto the circular edge of the base rather than pushing on the disc part which was fairly easy except for that rascally one in the range hood which is hiding inside a small opening. Now to see how long they last....

Inova X1DM-HT Dual High/Low Mode Flashlight with White LED and 1 AA Battery, Titanium
Offered by KnifeCountryUSA
Price: $22.93
17 used & new from $18.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good light but a couple drawbacks for my intended use, January 29, 2014
I bought this to use for backpacking. I had a chance to try it out overnight last weekend and here's what I found...

Pros:
-Very light at 23 grams and slim.
-Just have to carry AA batteries for headlight, flashlight, and camera instead of a mix of different battery types.
-Low is great for middle of the night, won't blow away your night vision while putting on shoes, etc.
-Lanyard hole.. why hasn't anyone at Maglite figured out that this is a good idea?
-Good finish, threads, and seal.
-Twisty switches seem pretty reliable compared to clicky switches that have failed on me or started misbehaving and they are less expensive to make.

Cons:
-Low is too low for walking... can't see enough detail ahead.
-High burns through batteries too fast for walking any length of time.
-High isn't high enough for backpacking... can't see far enough (What was that noise? What's down that ravine?)
-No anti roll feature built in... rolls right off a table, flat rock, log, etc.
-Slick texture makes it harder to hold while using momentary on feature. Now add gloves and/or muddy hands.
-Twisty switches can be awkward to turn on and change modes one-handed.

Conclusion:
When I first got this light it would flicker as I twisted it and that would cause it to change modes but that stopped happening after using it a few times. It still does it once in a while when using the momentary on feature. I decided to use this Inova X1 as an every day carry (EDC) light when wearing cargo pants or shorts. I use a different AAA size light when wearing jeans because it is small enough to fit the watch pocket. If you attach a lanyard to this light, it can act as an anti-roll feature. I bought a Fenix LD25 for backpacking and like it much better for that purpose. It is brighter and throws light a lot farther plus has other advantages. Low on the LD25 is brighter and enough for walking while conserving battery life but I do miss the ultra low mode of this X1 when turning it on during the night inside a tent. Fenix makes a single AA light I might check out as well but I can't find a 2 AA light from Inova that fits my needs. I have other flashlights that work well but use 18650's... I have a Fenix PD35 that kicks a$$ in brightness and has a really low mode as well but my goal with this light was to simplify batteries. Originally I rated this light 3 stars but after thinking about it I was too critical based on my intended use. So I give it four stars and if it had a better texture to grip and didn't sometimes change mode while using the momentary feature I'd give it five stars.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 13, 2014 5:32 PM PST

Microsoft Optical Mouse 200 for Business - Black
Microsoft Optical Mouse 200 for Business - Black
Price: Click here to see our price
48 used & new from $2.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Good basic mouse but BEWARE its size, June 4, 2013
I buy a variety of mice in quantity for a mid sized company.

This mouse is smaller than a "normal" sized desktop mouse. I have posted a picture for reference. It isn't as small as a tiny laptop mouse but is is just enough smaller as a desktop mouse that people with larger hands find it uncomfortable after a period of time because they have to squeeze their palm and fingers together to hold onto it. On the flip side, people with smaller hands love it. Also, it is super lightweight which does cause it to move around a bit on its own if the cord doesn't have enough slack, but when using a mouse all day long, the less weight, the better on a person's wrist. Quality is good with accurate tracking on a variety of surfaces, good clicking, and the scroll wheel is OK although a little too easily moved thus allowing an accidental bump if you ask me. 1000 DPI is on the high side so if you plug it into a computer that had a lower DPI mouse it will move fast relative to your hand and a change on your mouse settings might be needed.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 22, 2014 6:46 PM PDT

Dorfman Pacific Unisex Classic Pith Helmet Hat, White
Dorfman Pacific Unisex Classic Pith Helmet Hat, White
Offered by Buy 2
Price: $29.99
2 used & new from $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Love this for hiking, March 15, 2013
I bought a white one of these last year for hiking. I wanted a light color because the darker it is, the more sunlight it absorbs and therefore the hotter it gets and I live where it gets above 110 F every summer. This weighs about 6 ounces for those of you counting what you carry. At that time they did not have the cream color I see they have now and the white was a little harsh so I tea stained it in a bucket with 6 or 7 tea bags overnight per some friends' suggestion and it looks better now with a slightly off white color. The strap stretched out from the process and never fit snug over the brim like it did from the factory so I cut it off, leaving the grommet and a little bit of strap then attached a piece of paracord in its place with a toggle to adjust tension like many hats have on their neck strap.

The air flow through this is better than any other sun hat I have except a visor style. The three holes you see on each side from the pictures are rivets for the straps inside but also help vent air but the whole hat allows air to flow through. Air flows under the brim over your head and out the top which is a mesh weave of small fibers dipped in a resin to make it all stick together and give it a rigid shape, but the fibers are loosely woven with gaps between them for air to go through. Now imagine taking one of those cheap disposable clear plastic shower caps that sell for like a quarter each at hair supply places and popping over this hat... presto, it works great for rain! Some of them are too small to fit, though, and I had to hunt around until I mentioned it to the woman that cuts my hair and she said bring it in lets see if mine fit and some did, some didn't. When backpacking you can do the opposite and pop the shower cap inside the helmet as a waterproof liner and use it like a bucket to haul water from a creek for boiling, filtering, bathing, etc.

Two small problems.. 1) Where the Velcro attaches to the fake leather strap used to adjust head size. The Velcro strips, each about 2 inches long, were attached with some sort of a rivet-like thingy that was smaller than the hole in the Velcro so it literally fell off the strap after a couple adjustments. The seller sent me a replacement which was worse than the first one so I chalked it up to cheap manufacturing and poor quality control. I sewed the Velcro strips to the straps by hand. This is why I gave 4 stars instead of 5. 2) The sun shines through the gaps in the weave along the brim which can shine into your eyes like little sparkly bits of light. I plan to glue some fabric underneath the front of the brim before this years adventures.

Dorfman Pacific Men's Bonnie Mesh Sides Hat,Khaki,X-Large
Dorfman Pacific Men's Bonnie Mesh Sides Hat,Khaki,X-Large
Price: $10.98
6 used & new from $10.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice hat, couple things to note, and khaki won't get you khaki, March 15, 2013
I ordered this to replace the Columbia Bora Bora Booney (original version, not the new one) I misplaced sometime last year and I looked at the new Bora Bora Booney 2 from Columbia. Since this is constructed very very similarly to that hat and I would call them directly competitive hats, I'll compare them. This one has a full mesh around the head (new Columbia doesn't fully circle the head) and with a taller mesh than the original Columbia which I wanted for even better cooling. The brim is floppy and develops a wavy shape because of its lightweight construction which can be annoying if the wave dips down to partially block your view. Because it is so flexible it folds or rolls up quite well to stuff in small place in your pack and weighs almost nothing (2.8oz/80g) compared to more solid hats with a firmer brim. By the way, the new Columbia seems to have a different brim that is a bit smoother and seems more rigid than the original or this one. I have a large head so ordered the X-Large which fits a little loose and is perfect. I can have the hat sit low and loose when the sun is low, or low and snug on windy days, or I can tighten it up and let it sit higher in the middle of the day with no wind.

I haven't tried this one in the rain yet, which sounds weird for a summer hat but I hike a lot and encounter random cloudbursts all the time in the mountains, on Maui, etc. I expect it to work similar to the Bora Bora which was surprisingly good at keeping your head mostly dry, although the rain would soak into the brim after a while and force the floppy brim down even more and of course some would get through the mesh. I'm going to spray some silicone water repellent on this one to see if that helps the brim part.

As for the Khaki color, when I click on "Khaki" it resulted in "light olive" in my shopping cart (X-Large, shipped and sold by Amazon) and I received a medium green hat delivered to my door. The hat has a tag that says "MC2-kaki4", so something is not right there. Dorfman Pacific shows this in a tan-like khaki color according to their web site and they have a Fossil color shown which is definitely the green hat I received, so they have a problem with color names matching the actual hat as well. I have written them about the issue.

Soffe Men's Splice Cadet Jacket
Soffe Men's Splice Cadet Jacket
Price: $15.58 - $34.86

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent but sizing is off and pockets are too shallow, January 25, 2013
I wear a large in everything and rarely is something in a large so far off it doesn't fit right so naturally I ordered this in a large. It had arms that were too long and weak elastic in the cuffs so the sleeves kept falling down over my palms. Also the pockets are very shallow so only my fingers and part of my hand would fit unless I clenched my fists... either way didn't feel right. Another minor point I could have lived with if it had fit right was the bottom of the zipper is wrapped in fabric making it awkward to get the zipper connected because the fabric kept getting in the way.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3