Profile for Water Dog > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Water Dog "Joe" RSS Feed (Ventura, CA USA)

Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience
Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience
by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
261 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Insights that are contrary to common thought, November 11, 2008
One of my very favorite books.

Written for a popular audience, the author describes the fascinating results of his academic career of researching exactly what makes people happy.

His findings are surprising. Most people don't know what makes them happy. For example, most people don't realize that they are happiest at work or why; they believe they would be happier with more leisure time. I found most facsinating the studies of people who had lost limbs. The book explains why, although parapalegics would rather still have their limbs, for many, the loss of their limbs actually made them happier.

The ideas presented explain why so many people are unhappy when enjoying historically unprecedented levels of physical comfort. The book is also uplifting in that it points out that we truly can be happy in any situation.

Although the book does ramble at times, this is one of the best books I have ever read. I am more than willing to put up with less than perfect writing to gain the remarkable insights that are clearly laid out in the book. Not surprisingly, the book does not provide a recipe to make you happy. But it does provide general concepts that can be applied to your particular situation and preferences.

The Food Revolution: How Your Diet Can Help Save Your Life and Our World
The Food Revolution: How Your Diet Can Help Save Your Life and Our World
by John Robbins
259 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptionally good book, November 11, 2008
Start reading this engaging book at any place and you'll want to keep going. The author, John Robbins, passed over his heirship to the Baskin and Robbins ice cream success. Without condemning his father and uncle, he transformed his pain by knowing and seeing what too much ice cream and other animal based products do to people into a humanitarian masterpiece.

The book carefully exposes (with thorough endnotes) major fallacies held by most people and, at the same time, provides a realistically attainable solution. And did I mention that it's engaging?

I'm not a vegetarian, not young (I'm 50), not overweight and have no cardiovascular issues. I still believe that killing for food is ethical.
Until reading this book, I usually ate a "well-rounded diet," including red meat, large glasses of whole milk, cheese, chicken and eggs. To me, vegans were cultish, over-board fanatics.

But because of this book, my wife and I now see that a plant based diet is more rational and healthy. Dare I admit that I now want us and our children to become vegans?

Reading this book compels the conclusion that we act in our own self-interest, as well as the planet's, by eating a plant based diet. The book shatters myths regarding the supposed need to eat meat, dairy and eggs. It illuminates the misinformation spread by the cattle, swine and poultry industries. To achieve and keep whatever strength, smarts and health we can, this book cogently asserts that we'd be better off eliminating animal products.

As a beacon that approaches its subject with zeal while maintaining an objective tone (usually) and compassion for us who are ignorant (always). The thinking set forth in this book could truly change our lives and eventually our planet.

If you can't afford it, borrow it from a friend or library.

Seaworthy Offshore Sailboat: A Guide to Essential Features, Handling, and Gear
Seaworthy Offshore Sailboat: A Guide to Essential Features, Handling, and Gear
by John Vigor
Price: $12.83
73 used & new from $8.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful when shopping for a bluewater sailboat, November 25, 2007
With a bookshelf of excellent books on cruising, this became my primary source while shopping for a bluewater boat. (I had already digested his Twenty Small Boats . . . , even though I was looking for a larger boat.) Vigor's writing is clear and easy to understand. Plus he interjects just the right amount of humor. The books provides enough detail to truly educate me, without going into unnecessary detail.