Profile for Ryan > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ryan RSS Feed (North Carolina)

Synthetic Leather Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle 6" E ink Display, Kindle Voyage Sleeve by Dockem; Slim, Simple, and Professional Executive Case - Soft Microfiber Felt Lined Dark Brown Basic Synthetic Leather Protective Tablet Pouch Cover
Offered by Dockem
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Legitimate Kindle Sleeve!, March 20, 2014
I was a little leery of buying just a simple sleeve for my kindle, but my gut feeling was correct. The synthetic leather is great and doesn't feel too cheap. It has a nice felt lining inside to keep the bezel clean of scratches.

If you're looking for a simple, yet protective sleeve, get this one. It's the right price and offers everything you would expect it to do.

Samsung Chromebook (Wi-Fi, 11.6-Inch) 2012 Model
Samsung Chromebook (Wi-Fi, 11.6-Inch) 2012 Model
Offered by Thunderbird Tech
Price: Click here to see our price
241 used & new from $125.00

6,398 of 6,590 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Surprises Inside and Out *STUDENT REVIEW*, November 2, 2012
I'm a student. I need something to carry around that I won't worry about losing, breaking, or someone stealing. I won't bring my Apple laptop to school due to theft increases lately. On that note, I wanted something for web browsing, typing papers in the library egg chairs and had a keyboard/trackpad combo. I found it.

This is not for a poweruser. Don't fool yourselves, people. It's a tablet on steroids. Get that through your head when you purchase and use it. If you have any other expectations like some of the reviewers, well, you're honestly not the target audience. It's meant to be light and cost affordable. Sure, the screen isn't high resolution and it lacks expandable RAM and HD space. That's NOT what this computer is.

I've had the computer for a few days now and I love it. It's not super fast by any means; however, it gets the job done in regards to web browsing, finding papers for literature reviews and listening to rdio or Pandora. That's what I need this for. And most likely the average consumer. Face it, most college students buy $1000 Macbooks to look cool. For what? To facebook, stream music, and browse the web. Most people who do photo editing buy the 15" models with maxed out specs (like me). I don't want to bring that to campus. That's too much money to be slinging in my bag to just browse the web.

So, let me be clear. This laptop is excellent. The build quality is amazing for the price. Build quality is great of which I was surprised. The keyboard reminds me of the Macbook and the track-pad keeps up with my fast paced motions quite well. It's light and I can have four to five tabs open running different processes at ease. It does like to stutter when I do multiple things with a video running though. Expected for a tablet processor though. It keeps cool and charged for a days use. The front camera is great for chatting.

I will admit, this little computer will replace your daily use computer you lug around currently. I used the Chrome Remote Desktop today on campus and was amazed at the speed and ease. I was using my Macbook at home on campus without any hiccups like I experience with Logmein or those other clients. Accessing the 100GB of free storage was as simple as clicking a link. My music, documents and life are on the cloud. I can access them with ease. Printing is no problem for me, either.

This little beast will surprise you. Although, please, don't expect the world from this laptop. It's $250, folks.

P.S. I typed this from the Chromebook. No problems handling my typing speed. And ask questions if you need them answered.

UPDATE 11/24:

I've been using this for a good while now and I haven't had any regrets. The computer does what I need, when I want and I only miss running Netflix at school. That's ok though, I have other avenues for watching movies. They do plan on updating and that's a problem with Netflix, not Google. Printing is simple as it seems to be a very common question. To clicks on your computer and you're done. They have been updating the OS and the Chromebook is acting a little better now. Overall, I'm still loving it. Just remember, it's NOT for everyone.

UPDATE 02/06/13:

I love this computer. It is all I use around campus and for class lectures. I barely use Microsoft Office for my notes or spreadsheets in class. Google Drive and their office version is just awesome. If you do a lot of team-based activities, please, just use Google Drive. Keep your documents available to you at all times and collaboration is simple. It has made my life much easier. Just thought I'd let you all know.

UPDATE 04/11/13:

Netflix now works!

UPDATE 07/10/13:

Now that the school season is upon us, I thought I would go ahead and write an update of my handy-dandy little Chromebook. Let's just say, it's still alive and working. Drops, falls, and tosses across the couch and slides across the table this little tabcom is doing well. Software wise, Google has been working at it and getting all the bugs out of the system to provide an even more fluid experience. I love having the ability to use Google Print from ANYWHERE I am and have it waiting for me when I need it. Everything syncs up across platforms and this has really come in hand during projects. Just try the Google Docs as a team compared to Word with Review and you won't go back when doing initial collaboration. Battery is still holding up to 8-10 hours (I know, right)- that's with smart use of the brightness. I honestly don't know what else to say. It works and is the perfect complement for my Macbook that is collecting dust at home. The Macbook is used via my Google Remote Connection and it's just wonderful. No lag or anything like I've had with LogMeIn and the other one. And like always, ask questions if you have them. And I almost forgot to add that Spotify works in the browser just as well as the PC version. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon streaming does work contrary to the other review posted saying the opposite. Cheers!

FINAL UPDATE:

The Chromebook is an excellent computer for those looking for something light. It won't do everything a full laptop will do and there are privacy concerns of the all-mighty Google. The question to ask yourself though is if you are really secure online? You can get a better laptop as some commentators have stated and that is very true. You can get a nice, heavy computer to carry around and worry about. This Chromebook offers you peace of mind that you can throw it around and not worry about it being stolen (as long as you have a good password on your Google account). It works for me and I'm sure it works for the MAJORITY of others. I've had it for nearly a year and it is only getting faster, not slower. I hope you will take the time to see if it works for you. If not, we live in a world full of other gadgets and tools to fit our lives. I will be removing myself from the comments as there has been a strong output of support from other owners. Live long and prosper!
Comment Comments (305) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 29, 2014 8:41 AM PDT

Plugable USB 3.0 SuperSpeed SATA III Vertical Hard Drive Docking Station (ASMedia ASM1051E SATA III to USB Chipset; UASP and 6TB+ Drive Support)
Offered by Plugable Technologies
Price: $25.00
2 used & new from $23.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Works just fine!, June 25, 2012
I was hesitant on either getting this or an external hard drive enclosure. The fact that I can take either an internal laptop or desktop hardrive out and plug in makes things much easier. The USB 3.0 are achievable and the unit is of sturdy construction. It doesn't feel cheap and it works out of the box. No problems with my unit at ALL.

Thule 9001 Raceway 2 Bike Rear Mounted Bike Rack
Thule 9001 Raceway 2 Bike Rear Mounted Bike Rack
Offered by ARCADIAN SHOP
Price: $249.95
5 used & new from $200.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Trunk Bike Rack EVER, April 30, 2012
Installation was a breeze with the rack. Instructions were in clear English and illustrated to help those who need that visual aid. I was worried about the pads being abrasive against my car's paint, but it seems to be good. I'll update once I take it out for a few times. I have a Toyota Camry and yes I do care about the paint of my car and didn't want to buy a rack that would damage my car.

It looks great and works perfectly as described. Happy on the price too.

Check out the picture I uploaded if you want to take a look at how it looks.
Comment Comment | Permalink

AGPtek 250G HDD Hard Disk Drive For Microsoft Xbox 360 Slim
AGPtek 250G HDD Hard Disk Drive For Microsoft Xbox 360 Slim
Offered by GoldenCat
Price: $53.89
4 used & new from $39.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Legit *A YEAR LATER*, October 8, 2011
This is the real deal my Xbox 360'ers. I was VERY worried that this was going to be a cheap knockoff, but I was WRONG. It works just like the 1st party hardware and shows the alloted space. Have no worries when ordering this product from this seller. I am extremely happy. Saved me money that I can use for BF3 now.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 27, 2013 4:43 PM PDT