Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Profile for S. Gray > Reviews

Browse

S. Gray's Profile

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. Gray RSS Feed

#1 Top Rated Mens Texting Gloves. Warm Smartphone Gloves with Anti-Slip Grip, Insulated Layers & Full Hand Conductivity. Winter Style Black Touch Screen Gloves Women, Touchscreen Gloves Men
Offered by GLIDER GLOVES / MOBILE MORE
Price: $29.99
4 used & new from $13.46

5.0 out of 5 stars and they worked great. My phone shut down after 15 minutes or ..., January 19, 2016
I wore these gloves this morning waiting for the bus in ~15 F degree weather, and they worked great. My phone shut down after 15 minutes or so due to the cold, but my hands felt fine.

Last year I used "touchscreen compatible" leather gloves from Costco and these Glider Gloves are far more effective when it comes to using capacitive touch screens.

Highly recommended.

Pandemic Legacy Red Board Game
Pandemic Legacy Red Board Game
17 used & new from $65.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique, terrific game, but MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE GETTING INTO, January 4, 2016
***UPDATE 2/26/16***

5 rounds in, the game keeps getting better and better. One of the many brilliant advantages of the legacy system is that the gradual pace of introducing new rules/game mechanics is that the progression of the rules gets the player more invested in the narrative itself. Think of how a great video game like Zelda: Ocarina of Time makes the player feel a sense of growth and progression through new items/abilities even as the character they are playing, Link, literally grows up over the course of the game itself. In Pandemic Legacy, the new rules are simple, logical extensions of the narrative. The novelty makes you want to keep coming back for more.

Additionally, the breadth and complexity itself helps keep any one player from dominating play. This "quarterbacking" is a pretty common knock on cooperative games like Pandemic, but since each new round introduces new rules, there's plenty of opportunity for players to take explore different strategic approaches.

Oh, and Season 2 is confirmed to be under development, with an anticipated release date of later this year. I will buy it without any hesitation.

***ORIGINAL REVIEW***

There's no denying that today's cornucopia of deep, engaging board games blows away the stuff I grew up playing. Not only are the games better than ever, but the market for quality games seems to be expanding as more people hear about the terrific options that are coming out.

However, if you're a newcomer, it can be daunting to see the hundreds of options and make a selection, and heaven forbid if you pick a game that isn't a good fit for you and your friends in terms of complexity, time commitment and style.

So while I give Pandemic Legacy an enthusiastic five stars, this review will be more an attempt to help out newer players in deciding whether Pandemic Legacy might be right for them.

Q: SO WHAT'S IT LIKE?
A: Pandemic Legacy is a twist on the popular cooperative board game, Pandemic. In Pandemic, 2-4 players work together to treat and cure four diseases that have spread across the world. Players assume different roles with different abilities, but each turn the diseases spread, so the game is a race against the board to see if you can find cures to the diseases before any of the loss conditions are triggered.

The "Legacy" aspect of Pandemic Legacy, as other reviewers have explained in greater detail, consists of different events, rules, changes to characters and the game board itself which occur each time you play the game. I think it's a really terrific mechanic to reveal rule changes and plot developments incrementally as you play the game. The changes are unexpected (and frequently permanent) which builds a lot of intensity. And the gradual nature of the changes makes for a pretty manageable learning curve. If you're familiar with Pandemic it really doesn't take much time to learn the new rules.

The tradeoff of the Legacy system is that the game has somewhat limited replayability, since the game technically "ends" after you've played through the 12 months (you play 1-2 games per "month" in the game). So it's probably not a game you'll leave in your closet for your grandkids to play on New Years Eve.

Q: DO I NEED TO OWN PANDEMIC?
A: NO! It's very helpful to play basic Pandemic before jumping into Pandemic Legacy, but fortunately Pandemic Legacy has everything you need to play a few rounds of basic Pandemic - all you need to do is ignore the various Dossiers, Packages, etc. that make up the "Legacy" features of Pandemic Legacy until you're comfortable with the basic rules and strategy.

Q: IS A LEGACY GAME RIGHT FOR ME?
A: That's the question. Do you play strategic games regularly with a consistent group of people? If the answer is yes, then you really should just buy Pandemic Legacy immediately, as I can almost guarantee that it will become an instant classic. But if your gaming group changes a lot, or you enjoy casual games more, or you aren't interest in the continuity of a Legacy-style game, then this might not be the best option. In my case, my wife, her brother and I play boardgames most Sunday nights, so Pandemic Legacy is really a perfect fit for our weekly game. But we probably won't be bringing Pandemic Legacy along if our other friends host a game night, since they won't be familiar with the backstory of prior playthroughs.

Q: WHAT'S UP WITH THE "SEASON 1" SUBTITLE?
A: Not sure, but the rules to Pandemic Legacy suggest that outcomes of your Pandemic Legacy games may carry forward to future releases (which sounds exciting to me!).

Addiction by Design: Machine Gambling in Las Vegas
Addiction by Design: Machine Gambling in Las Vegas
by Natasha Dow Schüll
34 used & new from $22.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterful, December 16, 2015
Equal parts fascinating and heartbreaking, Ms. Schull's book is one of the few books I've read recently that made me feel like a different person after I finished reading. Though her style is overall very neutral, the simple facts she assembles about the history of the gambling industry constitute the most devastating critique of modern capitalism I've ever read, and forced me to rethink a lot of my attitudes about choice and public policy.

But don't mistake this book for any kind of political screed or polemic. It's more like a real-life version of the first third of Ocean's 11, except instead of explaining casino security systems, she's explaining the games themselves. And what games! Through decades of trial and error, game designers have learned more about human psychology than a million studies of bored undergraduates could ever hope to reveal. Mind control may be an overstatement, but after you read the words of the gamblers themselves you'll have no doubt that machine gambling exploits our natural risk preferences and emotions so effectively that many of the people held in its sway have essentially stopped making choices, being unable to satisfy their longings in any way other than continued attachment to a slot or video poker machine.

Ms. Schull does not stop there. She takes the reader further, examining the financial structure of the gaming industry, the mindset of key players in the industry, and the uneasy relationship between the industry and regulators, all supported by an impressively thorough set of sources and original research of her own.

To her credit, there is no call to action, no indictment of the industry, though her views on the morality of the gaming industry are not exactly hidden. Rather, the reader is left with a vexing set of questions. What to do about the current trend towards legalizing and liberalizing gambling restrictions? What other industries are operating in a similar way (processed food, I'm looking at you)? Does regulation do any good, or does it simply serve to protect incumbent players so long as government gets its cut of the wealth that the industry extracts from players?

The answers, sadly, remain elusive.

Wilson Solution NCAA Composite Basketball
Wilson Solution NCAA Composite Basketball
Price: $59.95
30 used & new from $52.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Baller, December 16, 2015
Basketballs are obviously extremely subjective, but for my money the Wilson Solution is the best. Soft touch, slightly tacky, perfect bounce, just a great ball to play with.

Of course, there's never a shortage of bros going on and on about their vintage TF-1000s ("they sure don't make them like they used to, bro!"), or their super-duper-official-genuine-leather NBA balls, but if you care more about balling than bragging rights, just stick to the Wilson Solution.

Bose Companion 2 Series III Multimedia Speakers
Bose Companion 2 Series III Multimedia Speakers
Price: $99.00
22 used & new from $94.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Pefect for the Office, December 16, 2015
After buying and returning a well-regarded set of cheap ($25) speakers, I went for the Bose and I'm glad I did. I use these in my office at work, and the narrow profile and clean lines really make them perfect for a workspace. The sound quality is exactly what I'm looking for - clear sound for music and podcasts even at low volume.

Nike Max Lebron XI Low Men Sneakers "Floridians" Atomic Mango/Kumquat/Med Base Grey/Lt Base Grey 642849-800
Price: $72.00 - $185.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Best performance basketball shoes I've tried, January 3, 2015
First, a little about myself. I'm a mediocre basketball player, but basketball is one of my only passions. I play as often as I can, currently about twice a week. I am 29 years old, 6 foot 190 lbs, no vertical to speak of, and if you saw me playing pickup at the Y you'd probably peg me for one of those guys you could destroy off the dribble, and you'd be right.

All that being said, nice shoes are critical for me as I've battled shin splints in the past until I started ponying up for quality. I previously playing in LeBron 8s, which were fantastic for me until a nasty ankle sprain changed the shape of my left ankle just enough to make high- or mid-top shoes chafe on me. So, being due for some new basketball shoes, I tried on the low-top lebron xi's and was immediately sold. The fit, lockdown, cushioning, etc are all just as effective as the mid version, but the shoe fits just below my ankle, and is very comfortable.

Interestingly, despite being called a "low" top shoe, there is more ankle support to these than, say, a running shoe, and more than other low-top shoes I've tried.

I've now had these for about 6 months and they work great. A couple nits I experienced were (1) when I first played in them, there was a noticeable pop that would occur in the material on the side of the shoe when I flexed my toes. But it didn't impact my game at all and now the shoe is broken in the stiffness to the material has lessened and it doesn't happen anymore. (2) the insoles have worn through, but I suppose that's to be expected. This is actually the first basketball shoe I've used that was so comfortable I didn't get aftermarket insoles off the bat, but just know if you play with any regularity the stock insoles won't last long. Neither of these points change the overall fact that these are great shoes for basketball.

As for style, you can see from the pics that these are some sick shoes. I have the olive/volt style and they still look fantastic.

Kids Animal Piano Free
Kids Animal Piano Free
Price: $0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars cute idea., May 8, 2013
This review is from: Kids Animal Piano Free (App)
This is cute. The animal sounds can be annoying but my toddler is going to love it. Thanks for the app.

Fondarific Buttercream Fondant Black, 32 ounces
Fondarific Buttercream Fondant Black, 32 ounces
Price: $13.25
2 used & new from $13.25

5.0 out of 5 stars First Time Fondant User, June 19, 2012
This was my first go at fondant. It turned out to be really easy with Fondarific and tasted great. I made black cow spots and a black bow for my son's birthday cake. Loved it. I also love that it has a 1 year shelf life. I was having trouble rolling out the fondant at first, but I realized I was working with fondant that was too warm. Once I cut down microwave time to 4-5 seconds, it worked much better.

TotalMount Roku Mounting Kit (Compatible with Roku XD and Roku XS)
TotalMount Roku Mounting Kit (Compatible with Roku XD and Roku XS)
2 used & new from $9.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Install & Works Great, May 31, 2012
My husband received this mounting kit for his birthday. It took literally 30 seconds to install to the vents behind our tv. The remote still works even though the roku is now behind the tv. If only we had a similar product for our cable box.

Dominion
Dominion
Price: $27.99
76 used & new from $23.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Board Game I Own, April 12, 2011
This review is from: Dominion (Toy)
First, Dominion absolutely lives up to the hype. It's easy to learn, incredibly fun, and relatively quick - most games last around 30 minutes with some stretching out to an hour. That last one is important to my wife and I, as we don't have tons of free time to spend playing board games.

See other reviews for an excellent summary of the game's mechanics, but here are a few things about Dominion I wasn't expecting:

* The game is a blast to play even with two people. It's the only game my wife and I both love to play with just the two of us (and we have quite a few board games).

* Playing with 3 or 4 people really changes the dynamic of the game in unexpected ways, significantly increasing replayability.

* The strategy of this game is deceptively difficult to master. The value of each card very much depends on the other cards you're playing with, and, if you like, the mix of action cards changes every game. The game includes a "randomizer" deck - a deck that you don't use during the game, but that you can use to randomly select the action cards you will play with. Couple that with the fact that there are 22 different action cards and you only use 10 in each game, and you have a zillion combinations you can work with.

Probably the only part of the game that isn't perfect is the fact that you have to shuffle your cards all the time. It's a minor nuisance.

But the bottom line is - buy the game!