Profile for Margaret Thompson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 53

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Margaret Thompson RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The Brilliant History of Color in Art
The Brilliant History of Color in Art
by Victoria Finlay
Price: $16.93
71 used & new from $12.92

4.0 out of 5 stars The Fascinating Story of Color, November 6, 2014
After reading this great book, I realized, that you really can't understand the history of art fully without looking at the history of color. Flipping through the pages of Victoria Finlay's "The Brilliant History of Color in Art" is like taking a ride through time alongside a cast of characters with names like Chrome Yellow, Tyrian Purple, and Madder Red as your guides.

Finlay digs deep to find little-known stories and facts about the colors that we all know and love (and a few we may not have heard of!) and uses beautiful paintings and images from the Getty Museum to illustrate her unique history. I would venture to say that even if you've never found yourself thinking, `I wonder where cobalt blue came from?' you will find the stories fascinating.

Finlay wrote "The Brilliant History of Color in Art" with the intention of making it accessible to young artists as well as those just starting out and her storytelling style achieves this with considerable success. Overall, I found this book informative, fun, and full of inspiring images. It makes a great addition to my library along the likes of Vicki McMurray's "Mastering Color.

The Recovery Book: Answers to  All Your Questions About Addiction and Alcoholism and Finding Health and Happiness in Sobriety
The Recovery Book: Answers to All Your Questions About Addiction and Alcoholism and Finding Health and Happiness in Sobriety
by Catherine Dold
Price: $16.16
63 used & new from $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Rich resources for addicts and their families, November 4, 2014
The Recovery Book has been a popular resource for over two decades - everyone in my field has a copy. Now author Al Mooney and his team have put together a new edition that manages to keep all of the great things about the first edition while exploring all the latest advancements in the fields of addiction and recovery.

The biggest change in the updated version are the Recovery Zones, which were not in the original. Breaking the process of recovery down into three zones (red, yellow, and green) makes creating a recovery plan less intimidating and overwhelming. But the books still has that great conversational tone that makes you feel like you're sitting in a trusted doctor's office chatting about what you're going through.

The Recovery Book really does cover every aspect of recovery from detox to celebrating a new, sober life and each step is presented in a way that makes readers (whether they are addicts, friends, or family members) feel that they are understood and that there is hope. I will be recommending this new edition to my patients, along with my other standby: The Search for Serenity and How to Achieve It.

Landscape Painting in Watercolor
Landscape Painting in Watercolor
by Zoltan Szabo
63 used & new from $6.00

4.0 out of 5 stars I like the new printing better!, September 10, 2014
Several of Zoltan Szabo's painting books are now back in print! This one is great for the beginner who is looking for step-by-step demonstrations of beautiful paintings that capture North American treasures such as Peggy's Cove. In the first third of the book he addresses all kinds of advice from watercolor painting techniques, landscape composition, and how to represent key components such as trees, rocks, soil, and water. Make sure to get the new printing, ISBN: 978-1-62654-863-3. While its evident that the book is a copy of the old book, its clean of marks, has a nice solid cover, shares Zoltan's stunning composition and technique.

A Garden of Marvels: How We Discovered that Flowers Have Sex, Leaves Eat Air, and Other Secrets of Plants
by Ruth Kassinger
Price: $21.56
75 used & new from $4.84

4.0 out of 5 stars Like a Romance Novel, April 28, 2014
Ruth Kassinger has written a delightful book that is both accessible to the casual plant-lover and fascinating for the expert botanist. She opens with a brief overview of how the sciences tackled more out-of-reach topics like constellations and atomic stucture before ever approaching the study of plants, yes, its true. This history of botany is covered well in Anna Pavord's The Naming of Names: The Search for Order in the World of Plants, which I read a couple years ago and loved, so I was briefly worried that this book would simply re-tell that story. Thankfully, "A Garden of Marvels" covers enough scientific discoveries that were new to me, many about plant sex.

Kassinger is a wonderful storyteller like Pavord and Ruth Stout, particularly in teh way that she shares her personal taste for gardening indoors. While I treasure Stout's advice for mulch gardening in Gardening Without Work, Kassinger has had an amazing experience with exotic plants, which I hope to enjoy some day!

Motorcycle: The Definitive Visual History
Motorcycle: The Definitive Visual History
by DK Publishing
Price: $40.00
40 used & new from $11.70

5.0 out of 5 stars All that chrome makes me... hot, April 28, 2014
I love bikes. I don't get to ride much anymore to my dismay... so I have really enjoyed reading about them and looking at them in books. While I have my Allan Girdler books for history, great commentary, and archival photos of Harley... DK has succeeded in creating a beautiful coffee table book of glossy photos. This has got to be the most beautiful motorcycle books that I have ever come across. My only critique is that it would have been better to have a clearer timeline or evolution of each brand and its models. If you want a detailed history of Harleys, I highly recommend: Harley-Davidson Racing, 1934-1986.

The Big Tiny: A Built-It-Myself Memoir
The Big Tiny: A Built-It-Myself Memoir
by (Builder) Dee Williams
Price: $19.51
96 used & new from $2.42

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Read!, April 22, 2014
When I first discovered the tiny house movement, a rush of hope filled my body. The freedom that comes with living simply with a small footprint sounds so right! And while many of my friends live light by moving often and calling the car home, this is a much more mature living situation. The thrill of looking through the Tumbleweed catalogue subsided over time and it wasn't until this memoir came out that I felt it possible to really commit to a tiny house. By reading how Dee Williams has done this for 10 years, I am back on the wagon.

Strengthen Your Paintings With Dynamic Composition (Elements of Painting)
Strengthen Your Paintings With Dynamic Composition (Elements of Painting)
by Frank Webb
68 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A Strong Book from a Strong Artist, April 22, 2014
I've been painting for years and as a result I've read plenty of books aiming to help readers improve their art. After reading The Painter's Secret Geometry I thought I had learned all that I needed to know about composition and didn't really expect much from this book other than one or two new tricks at best. I'm pleased to say that I learned quite a bit more than that! Frank Webb has written a wonderfully insightful and instructional book on composition, one which I feel any artist could benefit from. I'd heard friends talk about how great Webb's books were before but until now I'd never quite believed it. I'm pleased to have been proven wrong and can honestly say I'm excited to read his other books.

Webb uses a mix of paintings, sketches, and various charts to get his point across, each of them successfully helping you to memorize information which you might otherwise forget. These images ensure the text doesn't get too overwhelming while still instructing you on how to be a better artist. The book flows nicely, leading you from one tip to the next, and isn't cluttered or confusing. It's this mix of engaging pictures within a balanced layout that really helps the book work instructionally. Much of his work actually reminded me of Zoltan Szabo, who is one of my favorite watercolorists and apparently was one of Webb's mentors. Szabo's books are back in print! I just got the new printing of Landscape Painting in Watercolor.

Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison
Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison
by Piper Kerman
Price: $8.97
244 used & new from $5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Life is what you Make of it, April 22, 2014
Piper Kerman really made lemon juice out of lemons! I tried to use oranges in that statement to continue to play on words, but it just doesn't work. Memoirs like this are so eye-opening and exhilerating! I reminds me that life is what you make of it!

I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban
I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban
by Malala Yousafzai
Price: $13.94
351 used & new from $4.43

3.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring but Repetitive, April 22, 2014
The story of this woman is incredible! the book by her... well, I'm sure it won't be her last, so she has time to focus the message for a better composed book. I am very new to the Pashtun culture though, so I am thankful for the educational value of I Am Malala.

I Am the Messenger
I Am the Messenger
by Markus Zusak
Price: $5.64
211 used & new from $0.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Real Good Stuff, April 22, 2014
This review is from: I Am the Messenger (Paperback)
I Am the Messenger hooked me right in at the beginning, when you meet Ed Kennegy, a down-and-out underage taxi drivr who is in love with his best friend Audrey, who, to his dismay, feels that she cares about him too much to date him. I hate it when women are too scared to leap from friendship to love for fear of ruining a good thing. Thankfully, that is only the beginning of the story and through a mysterious series of tasks, you see how wonderful life can be. Markus Zusak is a great writer who develops characters that are "believably unpretentious, well-conceived, and appropriately raw," said Hillias J. Martin.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6