Profile for Jeanne V. Benedict > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jeanne V. Benedict "librarylady" RSS Feed (Maine)

Steamed (A Maid in LA Mystery)
Steamed (A Maid in LA Mystery)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Outrageously fun, September 14, 2013
Hooked me in the first chapter - how can you not love a story where the maid accidentally cleans the crime scene! If you like mysteries and like to laugh, this book is for you. The fast pace will keep you from getting bored. I've downloaded the next book in the series "Dusted" but don't want to start reading it until I can block out enough time to read the whole book at once!!

The Dragon's Lure (Stud) Alchemy Gothic Earring
The Dragon's Lure (Stud) Alchemy Gothic Earring
Offered by Gothic Spirit
Price: $30.95
5 used & new from $30.95

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome ^_^, October 19, 2012
I confess when it first showed up, I was a bit worried as it didn't really look like it would be adjustable at all. But happily it actually was. I was able to bend it a bit, just with my hands, I didn't dare try pliers. It didn't take to much adjusting, and I got him to fit great ^_^. Sits well on my ear, doesn't feel heavy to me at all, I agree with a previous review that it kinda just feels like having a pencil behind your ear.

Side Effects
Side Effects
by Amy Goldman Koss
Price: $6.61
76 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars So Glad It Has a Happy Ending!!, May 22, 2010
This review is from: Side Effects (Paperback)
One of the nicest things that Koss does in this story is tell you right at the beginning that Isabelle "Izzy" is going to survive her battle with cancer. And it is a battle. Izzy is 14 years old when she is diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma and finds herself in the hospital for a biopsy and then chemotherapy. Izzy doesn't do well with the treatments. In fact, she has just about every horrible side effect you can imagine. Koss doesn't try to make it pretty - she shows the reader just how ugly the treatment for cancer can be and that not everyone is going to sail through it with a smile on their face.
If I could make any changes to the book, I would add drawings of some of Izzy's illustrations that are described so wonderfully in the story and I would take out most of the swearing. I believe that while it does fit with the character, it would have been possible to show Izzy's feelings and attitude effectively without the language.
I would definitely recommend this book. Koss handles this serious subject with just the right amount of humor to help counter the devastating side effects!

Hamish MacBeth: Series 1-3 Collection
Hamish MacBeth: Series 1-3 Collection
DVD ~ Robert Carlyle
Offered by Two Thumbs Up
Price: $55.46
41 used & new from $42.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Like the Books, April 19, 2010
Really enjoyed this Hamish MacBeth series even though they are almost nothing like the books. Hamish isn't a redhead, the dog is not the same, there's no wild pet cat, many of the characters are different, etc. This series doesn't focus on a murder mystery each episode like the books do. Instead, it's more about the characters and their interactions with each other in the little village of Lochdubh. Hilariously funny at times, heartbreaking at others - you will find yourself becoming attached to the quirky characters in this delightful series. I hated to see it end.

Poison Ivy
Poison Ivy
by Amy Goldman Koss
Price: $8.09
112 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Verbal abuse on trial, March 11, 2009
This review is from: Poison Ivy (Paperback)
As I read this book, I felt a variety of emotions including anger, frustration, and sadness. The subject of bullying is one that can easily raise all these emotions and Amy Goldman Koss does an outstanding job of bringing them out.
Ms. Gold wants to hold a mock trial in her government class and she convinces Ivy (aka Poison Ivy) to bring suit against the three girls who gave her the nickname and have been bullying her for years. Lawyers and a jury are selected and the case goes to trial. Koss tells the story with first person narratives from eight of the main characters in the story which really helps the reader feel what the characters are feeling.
The idea of a mock trial might have been a good one but how well can it work when Ivy's lawyer is painfully shy, witnesses openly lie and get away with it and the teacher seems oblivious to all that and more! How can justice prevail in a process so flawed?!
This is not a book that I can say I "enjoyed" (it's too serious a topic for that) but I was touched by the story and impressed with the way Koss brought the subjects of bullying, peer pressure, popularity, and fairness to life. Anyone who has been bullied, done the bullying, or witnessed a bully in action can benefit from reading this book. It would make a great tool for class discussions on the subject!