Profile for Brent Finnegan > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Brent Finnegan RSS Feed (Harrisonburg, VA, US)

GGS Perfect HD DSLR LCD Foldable Viewfinder with 3.0x Magnification
GGS Perfect HD DSLR LCD Foldable Viewfinder with 3.0x Magnification
Offered by Global_omo
Price: $49.45
10 used & new from $49.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Who needs a Z-Finder?, July 3, 2011
I use the Zacuto Z-finder on a weekly basis for my day job. I'm building up my own arsenal of gear for personal/freelance use, and wanted a Z-finder for my 60D. I was about to order one from B&H, but checked out the "Perfect" hoodeye on Amazon first (dumb name).

This viewfinder functions almost as well (if not just as well) as the Z-finder for a fraction of the price. I like the way it works on the 60D, too, because you can flip the LCD around and use it on the left eye. Just be careful popping it on and off, as you might take the sticky frame with it.

The only difference I've noticed is that there seems to be a slight reflection inside the "Perfect," but for $330 less, it doesn't bother me.

Rule Rain Perfect Solar Powered Rain Barrel Pump System
Rule Rain Perfect Solar Powered Rain Barrel Pump System

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, it works great, June 5, 2011
The Problem: The house we rent doesn't have an outdoor water spigot, so we got a rain barrel. There are no downspouts near the vegetable garden, so we were always carrying watering cans back and forth. That got old fast. This season, I wanted to add an electric pump, but there are no power outlets near the barrel.

The Solution: This solar powered pump. I just installed it today. Set up was easy. There was already a charge in the battery, so it started pumping water right away. The pressure coming out of the 50 ft hose isn't super strong, but it's an appropriate amount of pressure for a small to medium-sized garden (you don't want to powerwash your tomato plants, anyway).

My only concern at this point is longevity. It has a one year "limited warranty," but I'm hoping that this will last for more than just one or two seasons. I'll probably disassemble it in the fall to prolong its life.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 9, 2011 7:03 PM PDT

Opteka Excursion Series C900 Full-Size Weatherproof Canvas Bag for Photo and Video Cameras

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for DSLR filmmakers, May 8, 2011
I initially ordered the smaller Opteka bag, which was entirely too small for my 60D plus three lenses.

This is an ideal bag for DSLR filmmakers. I'm able to re-arrange the dividers to accommodate EOS body (with lens attached) plus two other lenses, as well as a wireless transmitter/receiver set.

The only thing I wish it had was a few more small pockets for things like SD cards and batteries, but overall, it compares well to the more expensive similar Domke bags.

Manfrotto 728B Digi Compact Tripod with Integrated 3-Way Head and Carrying Bag (Black)
4 used & new from $95.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter garbage, April 5, 2011
I didn't have much money for a tripod when I bought this. I knew of Bogen/Manfrotto's reputation for quality, so I was surprised that this broke in two places within a year after I bought it.

I've used professional heads, and knew that this head would be worthless for panning (no surprises there). But the plastic snaps on the metal legs are of such poor quality, that they broke in two places. I had to rubber-band them together until I could get another (more professional) tripod. I was embarrassed to carry it around, and nervous about taking my hand off the tripod, for fear that one of the two compromised legs would give out, and cause the camera to come crashing to the ground.

I was considering donating this to a thrift store, but the thrift store might be insulted that I'm giving them my garbage.

Opteka Excursion Series C500 Weatherproof Canvas Shoulder Bag for Photo and Video Cameras
Offered by 47th Street Photo
Price: $39.95
3 used & new from $26.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice bag, but too small for 60D body + 2 lenses, April 5, 2011
I like the pockets and compartments. Seems well-designed. If you have a DSLR and only one lens, this would totally work.

However, it's too small for my 60D body, and two lenses (zoom and 50mm). I can cram them all in there, but it's an extremely tight fit.

I'm sending it back, and getting the larger C900.

The Business of Media: A Survival Guide (Kindle Single)
The Business of Media: A Survival Guide (Kindle Single)
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars If journalism profs aren't teaching this, what are they teaching?, February 12, 2011
My BA is not in journalism, but I can't imagine paying for journalism classes in which new business models are not addressed.

Jeremy Aldrich (the other reviewer here) sent this Kindle single to me as a gift. It's a quick read (I finished it in a few hours) but it packs a lot of ideas and concepts. I highly recommend this for editors, reporters, and bloggers.

Program or Be Programmed: Ten Commands for a Digital Age
Program or Be Programmed: Ten Commands for a Digital Age
by Douglas Rushkoff
45 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Re-Humanizing Our Future, December 29, 2010
I haven't read Rushkoff's other books (although I might go back and read Life Inc: How Corporatism Conquered the World, and How We Can Take It Back).

Program or be Programmed is a quick read. I read it on the Kindle my wife got me for Christmas. The irony of reading a book about the pitfalls and possibilities of technology we don't fully understand on a device I don't fully understand was not lost on me.

I would describe this as an "Internet philosophy book" that might fit on the bookshelf somewhere between Neal Stephenson's In the Beginning...was the Command Line and Jeff Jarvis' What Would Google Do? But I found Program to be even more thoughtful and succinct than those books.

Quote from the book: "Instead of learning about our technology, we opt for a world in which our technology learns about us."

Rushkoff has proposed ten ideas/concepts/considerations for principles to live by online. He starts with the obvious -- don't always be online, live in person, be yourself -- and builds to the not-so-obvious. By numbers nine and ten, he's making the case for doing away with centralized currency because it's not compatible with the new digital world we've created.

The most intriguing aspect of Rushkoff's worldview is the realization that "we the people" have always been one step behind the technological innovation of the age. From the creation of a written language to the creation of the Internet, the majority of us lag behind the people in positions of knowledge/power who are creating the systems that shape our daily lives.

Quote from the book: "For the person who understands code, the whole world reveals itself as a series of decisions made by planners and designers for how the rest of us should live. Not just computers, but everything from the way streets are organized in a town to the way election rules [are tilted] begin to look like what they are: sets of rules developed to promote certain outcomes."

The ideas Rushkoff lays out in Program are powerful enough to have convinced me to at least attempt to learn some of the basics about computers and programming.

This book is worth checking out.

Kodak Zi8 Pocket Video Camera - Black
Kodak Zi8 Pocket Video Camera - Black
20 used & new from $70.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great pocket cam, December 24, 2009
I'm a local news blogger, and I use this for man-on-the-street type interviews. This is a great little pocket camera. The audio quality is much better than other similar cameras I've used, and the mic jack is a huge plus if you have a wireless lav mic.

My only complaint is that I wish the angle was a little wider. The original Flip cam has a slightly wider angle, making it easy to interview people at close range without it looking awkwardly close -- but my external mic solves this issue.