Profile for E. Sholly > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

E. Sholly RSS Feed

SQ - 001 12 X 12 Square Built Ford Tough Sign - 60065
SQ - 001 12 X 12 Square Built Ford Tough Sign - 60065
Offered by Tag City Inc
Price: $12.99
5 used & new from $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as ordered., December 19, 2012
I ordered this for my father, who had recently built a garage and was looking for novelty items to hang on the walls. Being a Ford fan, I found this perfect for his needs, and decided to purchase one for him.

The sign arrived promptly and on-time, and was exactly as ordered. The shape and dimensions are as described in the item description, and the sign's quality matches that which you would expect having seen the picture. The sign is made of a sturdy material, and hanging it was not an issue.

I recommend this to any Ford fans who might be looking for some memorabilia to hang around the house!

Halo 4 - Xbox 360 (Standard Game)
Halo 4 - Xbox 360 (Standard Game)
Offered by Jim's Electronics
Price: $11.40
532 used & new from $4.98

5.0 out of 5 stars 343i delivers, despite any skepticism., December 12, 2012
Having been a long-time Halo player and fan, purchasing this new installment of the game was a must. Not only has it been a few years since we've seen the Master Chief in action, but it's the debut game for the new Halo developer, 343 Industries. While many members of Bungie's original Halo team still work as a part of 343, it has been interesting to see the franchise transition into a new atmosphere, with team members that had never been a part of the Halo universe contributing.

The campaign starts the player out in the same predicament as the original Halo--Master Chief is on a ship heading towards an impending doom, and have to fight your way out to discover the big surprise the remainder of the campaign has in store for you. Throughout the campaign, there are plenty of homages to previous Halo games, whether they be similar musical motifs or level structure. 343 has made sure the player feels like they are playing the same Halo they are familiar with and have always known.

The plot of the game brings the Chief to a forerunner planet and introduces the characters to a new race of enemies. This new race included the typical grunt-like creatures at the bottom of the ranks, all the way up to new "elite" members that introduced gameplay mechanics never seen before in Halo enemy AI (such as teleportation, regeneration, etc.). 343 does a fantastic job in transitioning the player into this new environment with never-before-seen enemies, primarily by mixing and scattering the traditional Covenant enemies throughout the game as well.

As this is the beginning of a new trilogy, the plot brings a level of new questions to the table, while only answering a few along the way. Leaving the details aside, one will notice when playing through that 343 takes a step in the direction of giving the player a more personal view of Master Chief: the plot reveals more information regarding his backstory, and how his role plays within the entire universe (which becomes a major plot point). The dynamic between Chief and Cortana is also built upon, and presents some emotional elements within the plot, never before experiencing in previous Halo games.

The new plot, levels, and characters, mixed together with the various difficulties (with the notoriously difficult legendary setting) create a truly unique game, and a must-have for anyone invested in the Halo universe.

The only thing missing from the campaign experience is the musical talent of previous Halo composer Marty O'Donnell. While the music still maintains a familiar Halo feel, new motifs are introduced and old ones trashed as 343 attempts to differentiate the new trilogy from the old. The music doesn't quite match that found in the original trilogy, but it should not be overlooked, either. The new soundtrack introduces a new, movie-esque soundscape, accentuating the epic impact of some of the game's levels and cutscenes.

Along with a new singleplayer experience comes a new multiplayer experience. While game types such as Slayer, Swat, and Snipers are still available to play, 343 has thrown in some new ones as well. The in-match scoring system has also changed, awarding the player points for accomplishing certain actions (kills, assists, etc.), rather than scoring based on kills alone.

New maps were released with the game, with confirmation of more map packs to follow soon. Some of the new maps are completely new, and some are remakes of older maps from previous Halo games. Unfortunately, as was an issue with previous Halo games, players usually end up on the same map for every game type, due to the voting mechanism introduced in Halo: Reach. Whereas the system previously chose the maps for the players, they are now given three choices, and those in the lobby are allowed to choose which they prefer (majority wins). While most players tend to flock towards the better maps, it becomes disappointing for those who favor unpopular maps.

The release of a new ranking system sometime next year will help the online experience, as the only current ranking system is experience-based and does not prove any indication of still. While the behind-the-scenes mechanics of Xbox Live has no trouble sorting players based on their skill, a visual indicate and level system will only add to the games favor, for both casual and competitive players alike.

New to Halo 4 is Spartan Ops, a campaign and co-op mission-based strategy gametype where players can continue the story via installments released regularly from 343 Industries. This mode essentially replaced Firefight from the previous games, as it allows players to team up against hordes of enemy AI. While each episode is accompanied by its own cutscene, the primary objective for each chapter usually follows the same formula--find the objective, clear the area of enemies, or defend certain obstacles. Unlike the campaign mode, players, playing either by themselves or with another player, have the ability to infinitely respawn throughout the level, rather than respawning back to the last checkpoint before death. While this takes away from the valor of completing some of the tougher levels, it also takes away some of the frustration brought on by playing some of the more difficult levels on legendary, which have become notoriously hard.

Overall, Halo 4 has done well in keeping up with the hype preceding it, but 343 will need to continue to improve if they intend to lengthen its lifespan as newer, better shooters enter the market. The expected ranking system restructure next year will help, along with 343's intended weekly release of Spartan Ops episodes.

Halo 4 has set the bar high for the rest of the trilogy, and it is any indication of how the remaining games will pan out, players should be nothing less than excited.

15 Reasons to Take Genesis As History
15 Reasons to Take Genesis As History
by Dr. Don Batten
Price: $3.66
15 used & new from $2.80

5.0 out of 5 stars To-the-point, accurate, and captivating., December 12, 2012
I purchased this book because I was interested in researching some intellectual arguments as to why Genesis, the first book in the Christian Bible, is considered history by many.

I stumbled upon this book while looking around online, and with such a low price, bought it with the off-chance of it not fulfilling my needs being outweighed by the cheap price of the book.

The first thing I noticed when the book arrived was how short it was. This was completely my fault, as the Amazon description even lists that the book is only 30 pages long. While initially hesitant, the material and content this book packs ends up feeling like 100 pages.

The authors take an almost scientific-like approach in using 15 reasons why Genesis should be regarded as history. As someone who is a bit of an amateur in the subject, it took me a bit to understand some of the points the authors were trying to make, but once understood, gained a solid understanding as to why they (and others) take the stance they do.

The book is very concise, and does not beat around the bush when providing evidence and support for each of the arguments they make. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone interested in this particular field of study, as it does a fantastic job of informing the readers with well-researched and backed thoughts.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect length, exactly what I needed., December 12, 2012
I purchased this charger because I was desperately in need of an iPhone charger longer than the standard one Apple packages along with all its products. There were enough times that I was just out of reach of a USB or wall outlet, and finally decided to search or something longer.

I found this item online and decided it was the correct length for where I would be using it. It arrived promptly, and seemed to fit my expectations by what the description led me to believe I would be receiving.

It has been a few weeks that I've been using it (I charge my phone on a daily basis), and I am extremely happy with its performance thus far. The length is perfect, and it also seems to be durable--I "yank" it out of the wall on a regular basis, and the wiring does not seem to have stripped and revealed itself, as some other reviews led me to believe would happen.

It seems to charge my phone at the same rate other charges do, which is exactly what I would have expected. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking or a longer charging cord, mostly because of its price, features, and durability (thus far).

TruBamboo Dark Bamboo Cocktail Cutting Board
TruBamboo Dark Bamboo Cocktail Cutting Board

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality cutting board, cheap price., December 11, 2012
I was interested in purchasing a cutting board for some crafting projects I had started, involving cutting card stock paper with a utility knife. I didn't have any cutting boards at home, and was looking for something small, as I didn't have an incredible amount of room to work with.

I stumbled across this one while searching Amazon's catalog of cutting boards, and it looked like it fitted my needs. I ordered it, and it arrived promptly and exactly as described. It is a very smooth bamboo (I'm not sure what I was expecting), and fits the exact dimensions listed in the title (9x6). The color is not as dark as it shows in the picture, but is still a nice "wood-y" color that is pleasing to the eye.

I've used it a decent amount of times since purchase, and have generally been pleased with its performance. It is sturdy, does not shift when using, and overall seems to do a fantastic job of protecting the surface I'm cutting on.

The only issue I had with the product was my when I pressed down hard enough to stab into the bamboo. Whereas conventional, "plastic" cutting boards allow the knife to glide and continue cutting even when pressing hard enough to infiltrate the material, my knife continued to get "stuck", and I had to stop what I was doing, pull it out, and start again.

Aside from that single issue (which I assume most will not experience), I am thoroughly happy with this purchase, and would recommend this product to anyone looking for a nice, small cutting board.

Halo 4 Collector's Edition: Prima Official Game Guide (Prima Official Game Guides)
by David S. J. Hodgson
Price: $29.86
129 used & new from $1.11

5.0 out of 5 stars More than expected, excellent value., December 10, 2012
Being a particularly avid Halo fan, I purchased this official game guide to add to my collection of Halo merchandise and collectibles. Having only ever collected the Prime strategy guides before, I wasn't sure what to expect with a collector's edition game guide.

The first thing I noticed when the package delivered is that the book is large. Because it contains an enormous quantity of information, it is easily double the size of the strategy guides I had previously purchased. The cover is sturdy, and doesn't seem to have worn at all after heavy usage over the few weeks I've had it.

The content is exactly what I had been looking for. When first playing through the game, I was intrigued with some of the new enemies, and having felt that the game didn't give the player enough information or possibilities to learn about the new race. As a result, I finished the game with a desire to learn more. Because it was relatively new, there wasn't an incredible amount of information online yet, so I chose to purchase this (with the bonus that it added to my physical collection).

Overall, I would recommend this to anyone looking for a Halo 4 souvenir or to anyone who is looking for more information about the game as an entirety itself. While most of the information in this book can most likely be found elsewhere by now, the information aggregated together into a collectible book only adds to its appeal. It is without a doubt worth its value, and will not disappoint any Halo fans who decide they'd like to try it out.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I ordered..., December 9, 2012
Having purchased a cracked iPhone 4 (used), I was in need of a replacement backing and stumbled across this product while searching Amazon. I knew I would be carrying the phone in a case and didn't feel the need to purchase a like-new replacement glass backing as no one but myself would ever see it anyway.

The backing came in a prompt amount of time, and came exactly as I had ordered. Because some of the iPhone's screws aren't universal, the backing even came with a special screwdriver that allowed me to remove the old backing and replace with the new as well (a process that would take less than five minutes, even for someone who has never fixed a phone before). The build quality isn't any better or worse than I expected it to be--it was exactly as I had intended it to be when placing the order.

I've had it on for a few weeks now, and am more than pleased with it. I have dropped it a few times (even with my case on it), and it does not show any signs of wear or nicks. The only issue I have with it is its ability to collect fingerprints and dirt, but that would be expected with anything containing a mirror surface.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking to purchase this product.

Seidio CSK3SSGS3K-BK DILEX Case with Metal Kickstand for use with Samsung Galaxy S III - Black
Price: $32.40
5 used & new from $25.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid case, with minor flaws., December 9, 2012
I purchased this case because I wanted something sturdy for my Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III, while maintaining the level of minimalism the hardware designers of the phone had in mind when creating it. The typical Otter Box Defender was entirely too large for what I was looking for, and the Commuter series was ditched after a hands-on demonstration left a bad taste in my mouth (the buttons/ports were extremely hard to access through the thick, rubber case). So I began searching Amazon, and stumbled upon this case.

After reading some of the more positive reviews, I decided to order it and give it a shot. As soon as it was delivered, I immediately opened the box and applied the case to my phone. The first thing I noticed was the lack of effort it took to place the phone in the case (which is a rubber body topped of by a hard plastic). The phone fits snug in the case, while still easy to remove and place back on.

My initial hesitance with this, and other cases, was that the rubber case was going to hinder the ease of pressing the buttons. With this case, however, pressing the buttons actually feels more natural. The S3 without a case has relatively thin and low buttons, and I found myself accidentally pushing them on more than a few occasions. This case not only prevents that, but still allows me to easily find them with my fingers when not looking, and gives me a sense of security when pressing the buttons.

The second majorconcern I had when purchasing the case was its ability to protect the front screen--it was hard to find a minimal case that protected both the front and back of the phone. This case does both well. I have since dropped my phone on both its front and back, and not even the case shows any signs of scratches or nicks.

The only major issue I have with the phone is its ability to collect and gather lint from my pants pockets. It feels as if I'm wiping the entire phone/case down every time I pull it out of my pocket, just so the rubber isn't coated in white speckles. As this is my first rubber case, I'm not sure if that's an industry-standard, or just specific to this particular case. Regardless, the lack of cleanliness does bring the desirability of the case down in my mind (although that shouldn't be an incredibly large factor when considering the case).

Overall, this case was exactly what I needed. It is sturdy while still remaining minimal, and the bonus kickstand is a great little feature (even though it only supports the phone in landscape mode). I definitely recommend this phone for anyone interested in purchasing a case for their Samsung Galaxy S III.