Profile for Catherine Baumgartner > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Catherine Baumgartner "Kat" RSS Feed (Hendersonville, TN)

Gold's Gym Dance Workout - Nintendo Wii
Gold's Gym Dance Workout - Nintendo Wii
Offered by Budget Video Games Inc.
Price: $21.98
54 used & new from $5.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun game, good workout., October 4, 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I have noticed that a lot of reviews are from people who have used this product only once or only after a few days. I have had this game for about a month and have used it regularly. I hopped on the Wii fitness craze about nine months ago and went out and bought all the usual stuff that was out there. I got the Wii fit, and did not understand how on earth that was supposed to make anyone lose weight. (ie: I just have to stare at a candle?" I got Just Dance and LOVED that, until I only really liked a few songs on there and it didn't hold my interest very well. THIS game is something I can get into. I set it up with the personal trainer and have been following the "My Workouts" about five times a week. I really feel like I am losing weight. The "My Workouts" start off very, very light. I can see how some people don't feel like they are getting a workout if they have only used it a few times. You have to answer questions that are used to design the My Workouts. I answered honestly and just plain told it that I wanted to work out hard. After that, I'm pretty sure it heard "kick her a**". I also appreciated the My Workouts as it kept me from just staying in one dance style or trying to advance too quickly (and thus get frustrated). The dances are fun and interesting, and very good cardio. I like how it tells you your previous record for calories burned for every workout so you feel like you have a goal in mind.
All that said, I do have a few cons:
The mini games are very annoying. I see them as more of a break to catch my breath in the middle. They do not read your movements well at all, which make them near impossible. Also, the controls on the workouts aren't exactly perfect, but if you're like me, you really don't care that much. It's not about points, it's about getting moving. My only other gripe is that it almost feels like the same routine is put to several songs. As in, I feel like I'm doing the same routine I did five minutes ago, but to a different song.
Other than that, I am all for this game. The calendar lets me see my progress and I almost feel like I'm letting down my "personal trainer" if I don't visit her. (Okay, that was weird.) But it really is an awesome game if you are like me: I wanna lose weight, I hate working out, and dancing seems like a great way to burn some calories without realizing it.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 13, 2012 5:36 AM PST

Dance on Broadway - Nintendo Wii
Dance on Broadway - Nintendo Wii
Offered by nicbak1
Price: $33.00
60 used & new from $3.39

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the orginal, August 9, 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
So I LOVE Just Dance and I cannot wait until the second one comes out. (I have it pre-ordered.) But to try to tide myself over till October, I got Dance on Broadway. It arrived today and I did every single song. While the backgrounds have gotten a huge facelift (there is a LOT to look at) and the option to choose your character, are notable additions, I was a little put off by this game. What made the original so awesome was that you were looking at a real person doing real moves. While the cartoon character fit by being nice and cheesy, they at times can seem a little robotic, and maybe I'm just not used to it, but it seems like they move sometimes in ways that are impossible for real people to do. But, hey, I keep getting 85% on almost every one, so I know the motion sensing is very forgivable. I'm also not very pleased with the fact that the moves seem a little generic. As if the makers didn't put forth the effort to change it up much as the same moves show up in the other songs. I understand this is how Broadway choreography goes, but I was expecting a little more. Sorry, one more negative: the screen view of the dancers changes throughout the song, which can be very distracting and makes it difficult to watch your character.
However, I can see this game being a fun addition to game night. I have broken out the original after a few cocktails with friends, and it has gotten pretty comical. If I can convince my friends to give this a try, I'm sure it will give me lots of laughs to see my friends doing jazz hands and (if I could pull it off, it would be awesome) the bend and snap. Especially the guys...