Profile for K. Maxwell > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

K. Maxwell RSS Feed (Tacoma, WA USA)

Page: 1 | 2
2LUV Women's Double Breasted Waist Length Pea Coat Orange S(J30254)
2LUV Women's Double Breasted Waist Length Pea Coat Orange S(J30254)

5.0 out of 5 stars Soft, nice-quality beautiful jacket, November 11, 2013
I needed a new coat in my favorite color orange and am allergic to wool. This was one of the few options on Amazons that fit those requirements. It's a short coat, which I knew from the picture but it feels a bit weird at first (I'm used to longer peacoats). It also barely fits - it's a large and I'm 5'10" and 165lbs. But it does fit which is great because a larger size was not available. :)

This coat is a lovely earth-tone deep orange and it incredibly soft. The material feels good quality, not cheap and it's nicely lined. Definitely an excellent deal for the price I paid ($20) on Amazon.

If you can't wear wool and are looking for something cozy and a bit different, this the coat! :)

Three Dots Women's Tunic Hoodie
Three Dots Women's Tunic Hoodie

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute, feminine hoodie, April 22, 2013
I recently purchased this hoodie on sale. I got the olive color which is very true to the picture. The hoodie is well made (though there were a couple loose threads). The fabric is fairly soft and mid-weight. This isn't a hoodie to wear in the winter but more spring - fall. The v-neck isn't too low so I don't have to worry about layering a tank under it. I was worried the band around the bottom would stretch out when I sat down but it held it's shape pretty well. The sizing also seems true - I'm 5'9" / 160lbs and the large fit perfectly. I feel like it made me look pretty slim which is a definite bonus. :) Not sure if I'd paid full price for it ($98) but it was an excellent deal at $36.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great top - I ordered up on the size and am glad I did..., March 15, 2013
Super cute top! The v-neck is mid-cut, not too low to be provacative but low enough I can get a tank to peek out from underneath if I want to layer it. The material is great, not too thin or overly stretchy. The hood is bigger than average, which I like. The top is fairly long which I also prefer (almost covers my bum if I pull it all the way down). I really like the fact that the small band across the bottom holds it's shape and doesn't stretch out during the day. I ordered the green, gray and brown - all colors seemed to match the pictures on Amazon exactly.

I was cautious when ordering these tops because of the variety of opinions in the reviews about the sizing. I am 5'8" and normally wear a size 12 and either a Large or X-Large in juniors. I like my items fitted but not tight - just enough to show my figure without the fat if you know what I mean. :) I finally opted to order the XX-Large size. When the tops arrived, they looked too big but weren't overly baggy when I tried them on. They were a bit looser than I'd have liked but I'm pretty sure the next size down would have been too fitted. I washed them before posting this review to see what would happen and they did shrink a bit (100% cotton), but it was just enough so now they fit me perfectly.

I think the tops will hold their shape and be wearable for a long time. They are definitely a good value and a nice 'staple' type of item to add to a wardrobe.

Hope this review is helpful to you in choosing what size to order!

The Muppets
The Muppets
Offered by Great Price Media
Price: $10.49
59 used & new from $2.56

5.0 out of 5 stars A successful blend of old and new. The Muppets really know how to put on a show!, November 21, 2011
This review is from: The Muppets (Audio CD)
It may only be 40 minutes long but if you like the Muppets and enjoy silly, engaging, eclectic music with a lot of variety, you'll find a lot to love in this new Muppet Movie soundtrack. Even the `old' songs from the original movie seem revitalized and new.

There are 15 intro tracks on the CD, usually spoken dialogue from the movie, and 15 actual songs.

Both Jason Seigel (Gary) and Peter Linz (Walter the Muppet) can really carry a tune and do a great job on the tracks they're featured on together. 'Life's a Happy Song' it sweet, but not overly so. The `Are you a Man or a Muppet' track is a GEM. Clever, hilarious and touching. ("Am I a man or a Muppet? If I'm a man then I'm a muppet of a man.") It has kind of a 70's rock ballad feel, which I'm guessing is Jason Seigel's influence. Definitely my favorite track on the CD so far.

`Me and Julio...' is not a remake as I thought (hoped) it might be, but it's still a great classic which fits in with the feel the soundtrack. 'We Built this City' is also the Starship original and, in my opinion, doesn't really seem to go along with the tone of the soundtrack. I'm curious to see how both fit into the movie.

`Rainbow Connection' is on the soundtrack twice. The first remake is an advertisement sung by Fozzy. It's mildy funny the first time around but it just makes me miss the original. Luckily you get to a better version later on in the CD.

`Me Party' is a latin-flavored disco song featuring Amy Adams and Miss Piggy - Amy has a sweet voice and the track is a solid entry on the CD. ("What happens at a Me Party stays at a Me Party...")

`Let's Talk about Me' is one of the best tracks on the soundtrack, featuring Nathan Pacheco and Chris Cooper... rapping. Weird, but it totally works. This is obviously the bad guy's song as he explains through the lyrics why he hates the Muppets. The music has a great groove and I could see this being a single on the radio if it had `serious' lyrics.

The Barbershop quartet version of the Nirvana classic 'Smells like Teen Spirit' is... well... ridiculous, disturbing, hilarious and strangely charming all at the same time. It features my favorite muppet, Beaker. You just have to hear it for yourself. I chuckled at all of Beaker's lyrics. I especially love his reaction when Fozzy let's on he knows a dirty word. (BTW, does anyone else find it just a little wrong that any Muppet would know a dirty word?)

The lady chickens version of 'Forget You' (or 'Cluck You' as I like to call it) is probably the most fun track on the entire CD. It's crazy that a song made up of clucking could be successful but I really think these `Princesses of Poulty' pull it off - largely in part to Cee Lo Green's catchy, upbeat song. Listen to it and NOT smile, I dare you.

By the time Miss Piggy and Kermit sing the classic 'The Rainbow Connection' it feels fresh even though it was originally done in the first movie. And I think Miss Piggy's taken some singing lessons since the original Muppet Movie because she can actually carry a tune now. :)

I loved `The Whistling Caruso' - Andrew Bird uses his voice amazingly in this mini-classical piece.

The second-to-last music track on the CD includes the whole gang (Amy and Jason included) in an almost too-sweet wrap-up finale song. I can't say it really appeals to me yet, but I'm guessing it's actually a perfect little ditty to finish out the story.

It was kind of cruel (in a fun way) for the makers of this album to put the infectious 'Mah Na Mah Na' as the last track on the album. Why? Because you will be walking around the rest of the day with it stuck in your head. Seriously. Watch out.

Please keep in mind I haven't seen the movie yet, but I can't wait to go check it out. Hearing this great soundtrack confirms to me that I'll like the movie and when I do see it I know I'll appreciate the soundtrack music even more. I picked up the entire MP3 album as an Amazon special. I'm glad I did and I happily recommend it.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 26, 2012 8:25 AM PDT

Belkin F8Z359tt06INCHP Y Adapter; Mini Stereo Plug, Headphone Splitter
Belkin F8Z359tt06INCHP Y Adapter; Mini Stereo Plug, Headphone Splitter
Offered by spacememory
Price: $3.58
31 used & new from $2.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, Sturdy, Good Quality, March 8, 2011
I agree with the other reviewer - I got this splitter for under $3 and it does the job. My two pair of earphones fit securely and the splitter fit snugly into my media player. No decrease in sound quality from when I used the earphones directly to when I used the splitter. I didn't notice a drop in volume either. Simple product that works great - no need to pay more for this type of device unless you need one with volume control. This one suited my needs perfectly.

Coby High-Performance Isolation Stereo Earphones CVEM78BLK (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by Home and Garden Club
Price: $20.11
2 used & new from $14.08

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent earphones for the price, missing 2nd ear piece tho..., March 8, 2011
I picked these up for under $6 and at that price, they are an excellent deal. The sound quality is great, picking up deep bass notes just as well as treble. The fit is very comfortable and they definitely block out a good amount of outside noise. They come with a black zip-up oval case and a rubber "skeleton fish" which I assume is to wrap the cord around.

I purchased these to have a second pair of headphones so my boyfriend and I could both watching movies from my media player while on a cross-country flight. I was able to hear the audio on the movies perfectly as they blocked out most of the plane noise. I wore them for several hours without any discomfort.

My only minor complaint was that the packaging description states the earphones come with an extra set of ear-pieces. This is incorrect. But the ones included fit both my boyfriend and my ears just fine though so it really didn't matter. Definitely worth it if you can get these for under $10!

Alite Monarch Chair
Alite Monarch Chair

5.0 out of 5 stars Pricey, but worth it in the long run!, February 14, 2011
This review is from: Alite Monarch Chair (Misc.)
I was looking for a compact, light camping chair that I could stuff into a day pack for when I went to view a recent shuttle launch. I didn't want to spent $50+ bucks on a travel chair, but I didn't want to haul around a big chair either (or a stool) so I ended up purchasing this one. I'm glad I did, it was worth it.

The chair is extremely light, but seems strong. It supports my boyfriend easily (he is 180lb). It's fast and easy to put together. While it's awkward to "climb" into the chair (that's how it feels), once you're in it it's VERY comfortable. If you're hesitant to get it because of the fact it has only two legs, don't worry. It may seem like it's defying the laws of physics, but your legs make four points of contact - totally sturdy.

if you're looking for a taller chair or stool, something that more like a normal table chair, be aware this more like a recliner, only a foot or so off the ground.

The only tiny drawback is that the frame doesn't fold down completely flat in it's carrying case, making it bulkier than I'd like when putting it into my day pack. Not enough of a negative to keep me from buying it again though.

I purchased mine through CampSavers.com. I received it quickly.

Ps. My boyfriend uses this all the time now to sit and play video games. I'll have to buy another one for myself I guess. :)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME costume for the price!, February 14, 2011
I got this NASA jumpsuit/costume for a great deal - under $40. It was DEFINITELY worth the money. Alot of great detailing. You can see where corners were cut to make the costume more cost effective, such as zippers that open up without pockets behind them, simplistic stitching on the patches, etc., but the overall effect if still pretty impressive. It's roomy (I'm 5'9" / 160 lbs) but there's an elastic "belt" at the waistband and elastic cuffs that make it fit just fine. Bonus - it was so comfy, I wore it around the house for a couple hours after trying it on. I felt just like an astronaut without the gravity-free environment. :)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 11, 2014 4:56 PM PDT

Coby MP301-4G Micro MP3 Player with LCD 4 GB Flash Memory (Black) (Discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by DependableResource
Price: $34.98
2 used & new from $34.98

4.0 out of 5 stars A great deal for the price! (So far... :), February 14, 2011
I wanted something small & simple (and with at least 4GB of memory) to listen to music at work. This fit the bill and the price was right. The reviews were fairly good as well, so I gave it a shot. I've only had the player a couple days, but I'm very pleased so far. Here's what I've noticed:

The player arrived packaged well; the contents included the player, USB connector, earbud headphones, AAA battery and manual. The player seems sturdy and sleek. Though I can see why another reviewer stated the battery cover was flimsy, I feel it's fine. The buttons are a bit hard to push but I adjusted to it pretty fast. At least they feel sturdy. I did notice that after a little bit of inactivity you will need to hit the button twice - the first time seems to 're-activate' the player. That may be while some people felt they don't work... The buttons from left to right are Mode, Volume down, Volume up, Back, Play/Pause, Forward. The Play/Pause button is also the Off/On button. You have to hold the button for about five seconds to get it to turn on (you'll know it's on once the COBY sign comes up on the screen). Turning it off also takes five seconds and you'll get a little countdown on the player letting you know it's about to turn off.

The LCD display is very SMALL, which I knew from the pictures but they cram a lot of info onto that screen so what's there is tiny! The display lists: Song Number (out of total songs on the player), song length, battery meter, song album & title, song bitrate, play mode, and volume.

I plugged the player into my laptop and it came right up as a flash drive. There is software that comes on the player that you can load and use to transfer files. I ignored that and just used Windows Media Player which worked just fine. I removed all the other documentation (various PDF files, etc.) from the player and put them onto laptop in case I need them later. This gave me another 40MB or so for songs. All my files are .mp3 so I can't comment on whether or not there's an issue with wma files as another reviewer pointed out.

I think the sound is great. Fortunately no clicking on mine as another reviewer indicated. The ear buds that come with the player aren't any good but I had a nice pair from my previous mp3 player so no worries.

The fact the player uses an AAA battery is a plus for me. I have several rechargeable of these batteries and just drop an extra one in my purse in case I need it. No need to tote around a bigger battery, cords or a charger. [Note - The battery that came with the player was really cheap looking, peeling and all so I got rid of it.]

I can see that there might be a problem with the USB adapter after awhile - when I plugged it into my laptop, the player is so small that it didn't rest on the table. The adapter was supporting its weight, making the USB end of the adapter bend down a bit. I'm guessing after awhile that strain might cause problems. I just set a book underneath it. Solved.

No idea about battery length time yet, I've been listening to it for 3 hours and the battery charge shows 2/3 full. I will try to post an update on the current charge runs out.

So.... Pros: Small, inexpensive, sleek design, good amount of memory for the price, nice sound, AAA battery. Cons: Hard-to-read display, you have to hold the On/Off button for several seconds before it turns on. The batteries and ear buds are also iffy but can be easily replaced.

3/23/11 Update: There is a shuffle feature on the player. I also got almost 2 full days out of the battery the first time around(I keep a couple on my recharger and just switch them out as needed). One thing that kind of bugs me about the player now that I've been using it awhile is moving through the menu. It's hard to read the small screen and you can only see limited info so it takes awhile to go through the list to find the album or song you want. It's still a good player for the price and I love the small size. Now that I've used it more and because of the limitations due to the small screen, I'd probably lower my rating to a 3.5 instead of 4 (if possible). I don't regret the purchase however.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 20, 2013 6:34 PM PDT

All That Heaven Allows (The Criterion Collection)
All That Heaven Allows (The Criterion Collection)
DVD ~ Jane Wyman
7 used & new from $18.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful movie that's been beautifully remastered... but what happened with the subtitles?, August 9, 2010
There's not much more I can add about the greatness of this movie - especially the beauty of the cinematography and the high quality of the film transfer. Cheers to Criterion on the latter! However, the one thing I want to note is that the subtitles were less than perfect, to the point of being a bit distracting. I'm not concerned that the words didn't match up exactly - they didn't, but that's expected with any film. It's that there were a fair amount of grammatical errors and typos. For instance, many names were spelled with a lower case in one sentence, then correctly with a capital in the next. Punctuation was missing on occasion. There were also some obvious spelling typos on really simple words. I was just surprised that Criterion, who I really admire for the work they do in redoing these wonderful films, would be so careless.

This is just a small gripe though and I wouldn't discourage anyone from purchasing this DVD for this small annoyance - you may just want to watch it with the subtitles off. :)

Page: 1 | 2