Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 20

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer RSS Feed (Clarksburg, MD USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Shadowblade (The Chronicles of Llars Book 3)
Shadowblade (The Chronicles of Llars Book 3)
Price: $2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars What happened?, January 10, 2015
The main character is only seen in one very small chapter in this volume? Hopefully the main protagonist makes an appearance in the next book or I probably won't continue reading.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2015 2:44 PM PST

Rockport Men's Rocsports Lite 2 Slip-On,Black,14 W US
Rockport Men's Rocsports Lite 2 Slip-On,Black,14 W US
Price: $99.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Unpleasant surprise, November 10, 2014
I ordered with the understanding that the would be just a little bit big. However, upon trying them out, I found them to be too small around the top of my foot. It is sometimes painful depending on the thickness of the sock I wear. I'm going to give them the chance to break in, but having owned other Rockports and having them be a little large at this size for my feet, I was really surprised at how tight these are.

The materials themselves seem nice and I'm hopeful these will break in. I have plenty of room for my toes, it's just around the tongue area that it really presses down hard on the top of my foot.

Patriot 16GB(2x8GB) Viper III DDR3 2400MHz (PC3 19200) CL10 Desktop Memory With Black Mamba Heatsink - PV316G240C0K
Price: $160.00
3 used & new from $159.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as expected, March 18, 2014
I installed this replacing my previous ram to see if that was a bit of a bottleneck.

Prior to swapping the ram my WEI was 7.8 for ram and after it was 7.9.

My PCMark 8 Home Accelerated 3.0 score was 5502, after replacing the ram it was 5577.

My system does seem a little more responsive, but that could easily just be my wishful thinking. Such as BioShock Infinite and Skyrim never getting those occasional hickups that seemed to happen from time to time. I did notice a definite difference with CIV V however. Load times, turns and unit movements appear quicker.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, depending on your motherboard, you will have to either enable XMP profiles or manually configure your ram to get expected speeds. When first installing, these show up as 1600 MHz, just like most other ram will. I enabled XMP in the bios and after system reboot, the ram showed running at rated speeds.

I previously had 4x4GB G.Skill 1600MHz CL 9

System
Intel 4770K @ 4.5/4.6 GHz
Cooler Master Nepton 140XL cpu cooler
ASUS Z87-PRO motherboard
2x8GB 2400MHz CL 10 Patriot Viper III ram
AMD Radeon 7870 video card
Dell 24" 1900x1200 monitor
128GB Samsung 830 SSD (OS)
256GB Samsung 840 SSD (Programs)
2 & 3 GB Seagate HHDs (Media)

Beowulf (Director's Cut) [HD DVD]
Beowulf (Director's Cut) [HD DVD]
DVD ~ Ray Winstone
Offered by morgantrader
Price: $8.49
43 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait, January 23, 2008
I know this isn't released yet, but I enjoyed the movie and this type of movie always looks great on hd dvd. Great movies like this on both formats is why dual format players will be the norm in order to have mass market acceptance.

I love what they can do with CGI and it will only get better in the future. No more will we have to deal with technical limitations that confuse the artists attempts to tell a story.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Two-Disc 30th Anniversary Ultimate Edition) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Richard Dreyfuss
Offered by Outlet Promotions
Price: $14.02
38 used & new from $3.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Best you'll probably ever see this, December 20, 2007
This is the best presentation you'll probably ever see of this movie. If you read previous reviews then know that I agree with most of them.

There's a lot of stuff here for fans of this movie. Yes there are some bad spots in the movie as far as video quality, but I don't know that there was anything else they could do to repair problems with the masters.

One thing that I'd like to add to the other reviews is audio. I have the Panasonic DMP-BD30K bitstreaming the audio to a Denon AVR-3808ci receiver. The audio is fantastic. There's one scene when Roy is in the utility truck stopped at the train tracks checking his map. When the UFO shines the light on the truck and everything starts shaking, it felt the the UFO was over my house. I can't remember a movie that's ever worked the subwoofer so long or hard before.

I do have a detraction from the release however. I think classic movies like this with all the bonus features ect. really need IME/PiP. People that are fans of the movie are going to be the majority of purchasers of this, and as such, are more likely to want IME stuff.

Blade Runner (Five-Disc Ultimate Collector's Edition) [HD DVD]
Blade Runner (Five-Disc Ultimate Collector's Edition) [HD DVD]
DVD ~ Harrison Ford
5 used & new from $64.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitive collection, December 19, 2007
I couldn't believe how good this looked. The look and sound of perfect indeed. Can you believe this movie is 25 years old? Granted the dated computers look strange to us now, but the detail this version contains is incredible.

I also like that there are two versions for those that want just the movies or those that want it all.

WB hit a home run with this. I hope they give this treatment to all of their major catalog titles going forward.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Combo HD DVD and Standard DVD)
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Combo HD DVD and Standard DVD)
DVD ~ Helena Bonham Carter
Price: $35.99
57 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Please ignore format war combo comments, December 19, 2007
This movie gets better with repeated viewings. The problem is that I've read all the books and as such, always compare the movies to them. There is just too much in the book to put into one movie, that said, I think they could have made it longer.

The transfer on this release it awesome. I didn't see any problems and the final fight scene is really cool. The visuals are outstanding and do yourself a favor. If you've upgraded to hd dvd, make sure you have a good surround sound system. It adds so much ambiance to your movie for a truly immersive experience.

Regarding Combos. I have a lot of them and have not had problems with them through many repeat viewings. I'm a little suspicious of those that are always complaining about them. They add a great value and if you compare blu-ray and combo hd dvds, they're only $1 apart. I don't know where some people are getting a 40% price difference. You can't compare the price of a combo to a catalog title or to a DVD. They're completely different animals. :)

Toshiba HD-A35 -> Denon AVR-3808ci -> Toshiba 72HM195

Rising Sun [Blu-ray]
Rising Sun [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Sean Connery
Offered by Outlet Promotions
Price: $7.29
33 used & new from $2.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the social commentary and it's a good movie, December 2, 2007
This review is from: Rising Sun [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This was a good movie, though it seems they were trying to explain the culture difference between the USA and Japan. That doesn't sit as well as it used to, but if you can ignore that, it's a pretty good story.

This is an older movie and you can tell that they didn't put much effort into cleaning this title up. It's much better than the dvd I had, but not up to today's standards. This was one of the earlier blu-ray releases and it seems they've learned how to clean things up with more recent catalog titles.

Buy this movie if it's a favorite of yours as it's the best version available. If you are just looking for demo material or eye candy, keep moving, this ain't it.

Toshiba HD-A35 1080p HD DVD Player
Toshiba HD-A35 1080p HD DVD Player
3 used & new from $179.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Hi-Def player available, November 9, 2007
Update 12/11/07 - I've had this player a little over a month now. I have to say that I'm very impressed. This has replaced my "old faithful" HD-A1, which didn't give me any problems, but felt like it took an hour to boot. :) This player is noticably faster and handles everything I throw at it.

At the lower price it's being sold at now, it's a steal.

Pros:

I have this player hooked up to a Denon AVR-3808ci and I love the bitstream audio.

The player is much faster than previous models and is also faster than my Samsung BD-P1200.

Upconversion is also very very good.

Cons:

Expensive for an HD DVD player. Almost as expensive as the cheapest blu-ray players.

Cars [Blu-ray]
Cars [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Mario Andretti
Offered by HideAwaysDVD's LLC
Price: $24.99
56 used & new from $2.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Animation looks great in HD, November 9, 2007
This review is from: Cars [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
As always, Animation looks great in HD and Cars is no exception. When I was able to get the movie to work, the picture and sound were incredible. This is a good disc to keep around in order to show off your system.

The reason I have it four stars:

I have the Samsung BD-P1200 and it took 5 tries before I was able to get the disc to load. Like Pirates, Fantastic Four and a few other discs, the java menus really overload the stand alone players. I made sure the disc was clean and after the 5th time of opening the tray and re-inserting the movie the player recognized the disc.

I'm of the opinion they should lay off the java menus and just stick to the basic menus for these movies.

-update-

I have purchased the Panasonic DMP-BD30K and it handles this title just fine. From my experience, it appears that some standalones just don't handle the java menus too well.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 8, 2007 11:24 AM PST

Page: 1 | 2