Profile for Terri L. Smith > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Terri L. Smith "Romeo Is Bleeding" RSS Feed (Central, SC United States)

Page: 1 | 2
One Foot in Eden: A Novel
One Foot in Eden: A Novel
by Ron Rash
Price: $11.44
147 used & new from $0.23

5.0 out of 5 stars One Foot Closer, December 10, 2008
I've been largely disappointed by fiction lately, so when I picked this book up at a reading by the author, I was prepared for another failed start...especially since this didn't seem to be a genre I cared to explore. I was WRONG. From the moment I started it, I didn't want to walk away from it. I enjoyed it so much, I began buying other copies and giving them as gifts because I didn't want to part with my own. Even if this isn't yor type of reading, Rash has a way of getting you to care. I can't wait to immerse myself in this author. Not to mention, one thing I learned about this author at his reading is that he's genuine. He doesn't put on heirs or live some flashy existence. He's plain and wonderful, a little shy but forthcoming.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 24, 2009 7:41 AM PST

Nothing Left To Lose
Nothing Left To Lose
Price: $11.98
94 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't LOSE Out on This One!, January 16, 2007
This review is from: Nothing Left To Lose (Audio CD)
The first time I heard Mat Kearney was on A&E's Breakfast With the Arts. I was flipping channels, and heard this soft and sweet voice delicately intertwined with an acoustic guitar. It immediately attracted my attention, and I was downloading him on iTunes before he was finished singing. It was that captivating.

So I ge the CD, and the first song that I fell in love with was "Where We Gonna Go From Here." It's sweet and soulful. It's everything I want my music to be: raw, emotional, poetic, and smart. He seems very secure about what he wants to deliver.

However, there is an element that I don't understand on his album, and that is his foray into Hip-Hop. Yes, he not only sings like an angel, but he raps. This is where he loses me. And it's not that I don't like rap...(ok, it has to really, really be good) but I just don't see why he needs it. He's got an amazing vocal delivery when he sings.

It doesn't hurt that he's easy on the eyes.....but I expect Kearney's album to sell well. I think if you listen to acoustic music, definitely give it a listen. He reminds me of Luka Bloom. And remember, he raps, too.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2007 4:16 AM PST

These People Are Us: Stories
These People Are Us: Stories
by George Singleton
Price: $13.99
91 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars It Has to Be the Mushroom Soup-based Casseroles, December 3, 2005
I wrote a review here when this book first came out, and somehow it's gone by the wayside, so here's part II which is more or less a faint memory of the first.

Southerners often provide excellent characters for stories. Perhaps it's all the sweet potatoes, fried chicken, and mushroom-soup based casseroles that are consumed south of the Mason-Dixon that creates these masterful personality quirks that George captures so well. Every character he creates, I can not only envision, but tell you who they're related to, where they go to church, and what their drink of choice is.

George, much like a character out of a Tom Waits song himself, writes from experiences and observations. He places the reader right in the heart of his narrators and creates a world around that's real enough to smell.

He's just brilliant. The book...also brilliant.

The Real Ramona
The Real Ramona
43 used & new from $0.56

5.0 out of 5 stars The Real Ramona Rocks, October 9, 2002
This review is from: The Real Ramona (Audio CD)
This CD introduced me to the Throwing Muses and fueled a passion that has lasted 10+ years. There was a time that my cassette player was never without it. Songs like "Honeychain" and "Hook in Her Head" will stick with you and play over and over in your head, whereas tunes such as "Not Too Soon" will forever live on as a pop culture staple. "Ellen West", and "Red Shoes" are two of my personal favorites. Kristin Hersh is the John Lennon for the 80's displaced punk personality.

About a Boy
About a Boy
by Nick Hornby
Price: $11.07
427 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars About an Author, January 4, 2002
This review is from: About a Boy (Paperback)
I think that Hornby is a very talented writer. Both "High Fidelity" and "About a Boy" are great. Although the movie adaptation of "High Fidelity" is pretty good, the book is definitely worth reading. Luckily, I read the book before seeing the movie. I have just purchased two more of his books and look forward to their arrival.

The Sure Thing [VHS]
The Sure Thing [VHS]
VHS
Offered by wowcomic
Price: $2.35
20 used & new from $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely A Sure Thing!, December 29, 2001
This review is from: The Sure Thing [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Cusack and Zuniga are superb in this flick. I am glad it is shown often on cable, because it is certainly watchable over and over again, but I am also proud to own the film. Definitely a movie to watch just for the pleasure of watching movies. Cusack delivers some very quotable lines and Zuniga provides an ideal foil. A film I would recommend-

The Jack Bull
The Jack Bull
DVD ~ John Goodman
Price: $5.00
13 used & new from $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Cusack for President? I completely agree..., December 29, 2001
This review is from: The Jack Bull (DVD)
"The Jack Bull" is another movie that displays the amazing acting talent of John Cusack. There are times that I am disappointed that Cusack doesn't seem to parallel in accolades with actors such as Cruise, Crowe, and Hanks. But then I think about that and I have decided that Cusack is far above and a much better talent than the aforementioned. "The Jack Bull" is a perfect example of why. A movie written by his father, "The Jack Bull" is an excellent display of good vs. evil. Beautifully written, the story becomes three-dimensional with some of the best performances I have seen from Cusack and John Goodman. A definite emotional film, the displays of ethos, pathos, and logos are just right...not too Hollywood and not at all dull. As a person who is not a fan of the traditional Western genre, "The Jack Bull" proves that one should not decide from films in the vacuum of a particular genre. I will admit, I have been quite smitten with Lloyd Dobbler for many years. Yet I have seen that Cusack's acting talents are so malleable, that he, too, does not act within the vacuum of a genre. Forget the fact that I have adored Cusack's movies for many years, this movie is definitely worth owning...not just watching once.

Strange Angels
Strange Angels
Offered by Media Supplies Outlet
Price: $16.89
73 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars From One Strange Angel to Another, November 9, 2001
This review is from: Strange Angels (Audio CD)
"Strange Angels" is some of the most beautiful musical work that I have ever experienced. I really liked Throwing Muses and when I heard they disbanded, and Kristin was going solo, I was a little apprehensive, but this work is so much more introspective and delicate. This album speaks to me because of the intoxicating melodies and manic depressive lyrics. Hersh may rival the McCartney/Lennon (writing) team for such beautiful lyrics!! This is my favorite CD for all of these reasons.This makes me want to be a songwriter. Thanks Kristin!

Hunkpapa
Hunkpapa
Offered by Big_Box_Bargains
Price: $13.25
45 used & new from $0.64

5.0 out of 5 stars But, hey, its still Throwing Muses!, November 9, 2001
This review is from: Hunkpapa (Audio CD)
I have been wild about Throwing Muses, since being introduced to the Real Ramona. When I finally got my hands on Hunkpapa (not an easy find in the deep south)I was elated. However, this isn't one of my favorites. If I wanted to introduce someone to the Muses,I would use "LIMBO" or "UNIVERSITY". This is not for an infant Muses fan...this has to be for a fan who appreciates their other work. Songs like "Bea" and "Dizzy" are phenomenal songs and I think the Muses always deserve lots of respect for their musical diversity. Kristin is amazing as always....
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 15, 2011 8:00 PM PDT

O Brother, Where Art Thou?
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
DVD ~ George Clooney
Price: $9.00
33 used & new from $4.63

5.0 out of 5 stars More than a Pretty Face!, November 9, 2001
This review is from: O Brother, Where Art Thou? (DVD)
I was reluctant to see this movie because I was doubtful that George Clooney would pull it off. I think he is a wonderful actor, but I saw him as being Doug Ross in the Depression Era South, and that didn't work for me. But I wanted to see it because I am such a music fan, and come on, this is some great musical work! However, I will proudly admit that I couldn't have been more wrong about George. I now know that Clooney is one of the best actors of our time and he truly gave an excellent performance. His comedic performance in this movie was unparalleled! This is now one of my favorite movies and I hope that Clooney is given many more roles that let him expand his talent, so that he isn't typecast as the handsome rogue in everything. There is much more to him than that. As always, John Turturro gave an outstanding performance, as did Holly Hunter and John Goodman...LOVE HIM! And I fell in love with Tim Blake Nelson's Delmar. This movie should be on everyone's list of favorites and you HAVE to buy the soundtrack. And back to Clooney....wow! Give Hollywood Hell, George...get more great roles like this one!!

Page: 1 | 2