Profile for Cendol Cayang > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Cendol Cayang RSS Feed

Work It!: Visual Therapy's Guide to Your Ultimate Career Wardrobe
Work It!: Visual Therapy's Guide to Your Ultimate Career Wardrobe
by Jesse Garza
Price: $24.95
73 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A great coffee table book and a conversation starter, September 10, 2013
The pictures are wonderful, the styles are great, the models are real people.

So why does this book get only four stars? Maybe it's just me but this book gives me the impression that all the pieces of clothing are unattainable and not affordable if I don't have an income of above $100,000 per annum. The clothes featured are well-made like the ones you find in high-end boutiques and the styles will look right up the alley on the streets of Manhattan. I've tried copying some of the look on my budget but somehow it's always a bit off. Let me know if you can find in a boutique that sells high quality clothes at a temp's salary.

Other than that, this book is good.

Steal This Style: Moms and Daughters Swap Wardrobe Secrets
Steal This Style: Moms and Daughters Swap Wardrobe Secrets
by Sherrie Mathieson
60 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Get this book if you are envious of your teenager's style...or are just trying to get out of the style rut, September 10, 2013
I consider this book the sequel to Forever Cool by the same author (which I have reviewed by the way, thank you).

(1) It features real people with real bodies as models, and

(2) The before-styles are what you actually see on the street, not someone trying to dress as ugly as possible like they do in similar books.

What makes this book different though is that it shows how you can "transform" your teenage daughter's clothes and sense of style to suit your needs, age and body shape. Yes, both of you can wear the polo-T but while she can wear one short enough to show her latest belly button ring, you need one long enough to skim over those hips. I

I have to say that this book is all about adopt and adapt.

Forever Cool: How to Achieve Ageless, Youthful, and Modern Personal Style
Forever Cool: How to Achieve Ageless, Youthful, and Modern Personal Style
by Sherrie Mathieson
55 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I liiiiikkkkkkkeeee...., July 9, 2010
OK, if you are looking for how to dress stylishly, you'll get what to want here.

(1) It features real people of all ages with real and typical body shapes and problems as models, not some pretty lollipops on sticks.

(2) The before-styles feature typical styles that you see on the street, not someone trying to dress as ugly as possible like they do in similar books. The after-styles are really good and simple that anyone can do. You can practically get the clothes anywhere and at any cost.

(3) You need to know your body shape first. Without it, you can only guess which of these models have the same body types as you do. If you can get this aside, this is a great book.

(4) You may need to put your own take on the styles featured as some, if adapted directly, may be too young or too old or too cold or too hot or too formal...you get the picture. However, because the styles are classics, anyone can adopt it easily.

(5) I showed the before-pictures to a friend and she could not point out much "flaws" on the models....not until I showed her the after-pictures. "Her stomach looks flat in that outfit".

The Lucky Shopping Manual: Building and Improving Your Wardrobe Piece by Piece
The Lucky Shopping Manual: Building and Improving Your Wardrobe Piece by Piece
by Kim France
Edition: Turtleback
Price: $22.50
342 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Pants: $75. Skirt: $45. Black T: $15. Knowing what looks good on you: Priceless, July 8, 2007
Yes, this book gives comprehensive details on what looks good on you and what just doesn't work. It tells you what you need to look out for when buying clothes and believe me, they cover almost all (if not all) known piece of clothing. It also shows you how an outfit can affect the wearer's overall look and how you can change a "wrong" outfit into the "right" one with just a piece of accessory, undershirt, proportions, etc. The book is written in what I call the "scrapbook" style. Very easy to read and understand, definitely!

To put it simply, I will not buy clothes without referring to this book.

Rescue from Domestic Perfection: The Not-So Secrets of Balancing Life and Style
Rescue from Domestic Perfection: The Not-So Secrets of Balancing Life and Style
by Dan Ho
111 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Ho's history is interesting, but that should be for another book..., July 5, 2007
Aside from Ho's interesting history, this book offers a lot of sound and logical advice. He makes you think and reflect on why you use time and energy to transfer that rice already bundled in a beautiful and user-friendly package into glass jars that match the rest of the glass jars in the pantry. I have to admit he makes sense...unless you have this innate insatiable need to match everything and have your kitchen look like the candy store downtown.

On the other hand, Ho's sound and logical advice is lost due to his holier-than-thou opiniated nuances that exude throughout the book. It's like if you do not conform to his school of thoughts, you have no "gai" and having no "gai" has been put across as the 8th deadly sin. That's off-putting, considering the useful subject content of this book.

Makeup Makeovers: Expert Secrets for Stunning Transformations
Makeup Makeovers: Expert Secrets for Stunning Transformations
by Robert Jones
Price: $17.43
99 used & new from $2.35

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to basics..., April 18, 2007
Say, you are novice in the make-up department. I am convinced this book can be a useful reference. It gives detailed explanation on all topics concerning make-up e.g. how many types of eyeshadows are there, which is best for what, how do you apply them...the whole works. This book features very good before-and-after pictures, and addresses the different types of facial attributes so that you can play up your best and play down your worst with make-up. You can probably get a lot of inspirations from them.

But say, you wear make-up on a regular basis and have some kind of knowledge on the subject (i.e. you know the difference between an eyebrow pencil and an eye pencil at one glance), this book is *yawn* nothing but a compiled reiteration of what you already know.

Overall, I still like this book because I can always refer to it if I ever forget how to open up droopy eyelids using make-up, and I can always pass it to my niece or daughter (if I have one) as my version of an heirloom.

The Modern Girl's Guide to Life (Modern Girl's Guides)
The Modern Girl's Guide to Life (Modern Girl's Guides)
by Jane Buckingham
Price: $18.91
336 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Even if you think you have made it, you'll be in for a surprise..., April 18, 2007
A great book which you will keep referring to all your life!

I consider myself as one of those who sort of know almost everything. I know how to "cheat" my way through equipping the kitchen, entertaining/hosting parties, home decorating, managing finances, handling DIY projects, etc. In fact, I know enough to assume the coveted role of Have-It-All-Figured-Out goddess among most of my girlfriends and fellow wives that they could not help but wonder how I could ever do that.

Well, there is always room for improvement no matter how much you know. This book is like an extended version of how to "have it all", even after you think you already have it all. For example, I found that home-made steaks seasoned with salt and pepper is just as good as deli-bought or one cooked with a recipe that has all that fancy-schmancy marinates.

As for the book itself, don't expect to see pictures (I recall only one or two). It's words and words and more words. So if you are not a "word person", you'll probably loose interest fast and chuck this book aside. I love reading but even with this "wordy" book, I read selectively. I read from cover to cover on topics that interest me such as kitchen, entertaining, home decorating, etc. However, I just skim through uninteresting topics like finance, sports and cars...at least enough to know where I can find what so that I can refer to them easily when I need to.