Profile for J. Douglas > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Douglas RSS Feed (Wisconsin)

Page: 1 | 2
Philips HF3520 Wake-Up Light With Colored Sunrise Simulation, White
Philips HF3520 Wake-Up Light With Colored Sunrise Simulation, White
Price: $139.99
15 used & new from $121.88

5.0 out of 5 stars No more waking up in the dark, February 22, 2014
It's easy to setup and use. It used to be painful to wake up when it's pitch black, but now this makes it much easier to wake up. My wife and I are impressed.

Garmin Forerunner 310XT Waterproof Running GPS With USB ANT Stick and Heart Rate Monitor
Price: $179.26
87 used & new from $146.79

4.0 out of 5 stars NIce, February 22, 2014
It's an excellent watch, and the heart rate monitor has improved my training immensely. It locks onto the GPS signal much quicker than my 205. Only four stars due to the finicky nature of the ANT Agent. Sometimes I need to pull out the USB stick, other times I need to restart the computer, as it can fail to download the data.

Optic Nerve Neurotoxin2.0 Sunglasses, 3 Sets (Matte Carbon, Smoke with Zaio Red/Copper/Clear)
Price: $61.34
9 used & new from $52.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Optic Nerve Does It Again, February 22, 2014
I owned a previous pair of Optic Nerve since 2006, but I sat on them by accident, so I needed another pair. These feel great on my long runs, and I haven't had issues with fogging. I appreciate the adjustable nose piece. An excellent value for the money.

Pearl Izumi Men's Maverick 2 in 1 Shorts, Black, Large
Pearl Izumi Men's Maverick 2 in 1 Shorts, Black, Large

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, February 22, 2014
I used them on a 60 minute zone 2 run without a problem. However, I did a 40 minute tempo run, and guess what? Chafing in my crotch. I will use them for my easy runs, but definitely not for tempo or intervals. I'm still looking for those 2 in 1 shorts that don't chafe. I do like the tightness of the liner.

OXO Good Grips Twist Top Bottle, 24-Ounce, Purple
OXO Good Grips Twist Top Bottle, 24-Ounce, Purple
Price: $11.99
3 used & new from $3.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for Smoothies, February 22, 2014
I use it for my daily smoothies so I can sip on it on my morning commute and while in the office. I haven't had issues with leakage, and I love how I can twist the top to hide the straw.

Amazing Grass Green Superfood, ORAC, 14.8 Ounce
Amazing Grass Green Superfood, ORAC, 14.8 Ounce
Price: $37.14
5 used & new from $37.14

5.0 out of 5 stars No More Coffee, February 22, 2014
I put this in my daily morning smoothie with almond butter, frozen fruits, avocado, cacao nibs, flax seeds, hemp protein powder, pumpkin seeds, kale, and ice. It wasn't until I added the Amazing Grass Green Superfood that I have extra energy in the morning. I haven't needed my morning coffee since.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 2, 2014 7:05 AM PDT

Fitness Confidential
Fitness Confidential
by Dean Lorey
Price: $13.49
31 used & new from $7.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, February 22, 2014
This review is from: Fitness Confidential (Paperback)
Normally it takes me weeks to finish a book, but it took me two days to finish this book. It's an excellent story of a trainer who has lived through many of the fitness fads over the years. I have been listening to his podcast since December, where I started to eliminate sugar and most grains. Sorry Vinnie, being a vegetarian, I can't quite say &#@% quinoa quite yet. It's rare that I will laugh out loud when reading a book, but I found myself doing that many times. Thanks Vinnie & Dean for telling such a great story. Thanks to Vinnie & Anna for an excellent podcast. I believe that both have provided me with the tools to eat a healthy diet, eliminate processed foods, and improve as an endurance runner.

Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity + Sleep Wristband, Black
Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity + Sleep Wristband, Black
Price: $99.95
53 used & new from $93.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Works with MyFitnessPal, Runkeeper, & Syncmetrics, August 16, 2013
There are many reviews posted by those more articulate that I, but I will give a quick impression. I purchased this last week, and I've already lost five pounds. Now my wife went out and purchased one. I synced Runkeeper & MyFitnessPal with fitbit (I don't wear the fitbit on my runs), which keeps me honest about the approximate calories I burn in addition to what I'm eating. Note: don't sync MyFitnessPal with Runkeeper; in my experience it causes duplication in activity entries. I also use Syncmetrics to sync between Fitbit and Runkeeper.

An initial problem I had was with the alarm. I set it from the web interface and sync to my fitbit, but it didn't wake me up. Either I slept through it, or it didn't go off. I went back into the web interface, deleted the alarm, and added it again, which seemed to fix the problem. It woke me up this morning at 5:30, even with only five hours of sleep (and I'm a heavy sleeper).

I'm hoping that it will soon connect to either the Nexus 7 or the Galaxy Nexus. For now, both my wife's and my fitbit connects fine to the desktop.

In the end, I like it because it's always on my wrist and I don't need to remember to clip it on my belt. It's great as an alarm, although I will plan on setting up my alarm clock as a backup for those critical mornings that I need to wake up by a certain time. Finally, it serves as a great reminder to keep active and eat healthy. There are plenty of alternatives available, but this works for me.

Frigidaire FAD504DUD 50-Pint Dehumidifier
Frigidaire FAD504DUD 50-Pint Dehumidifier
Offered by Focus Electronics & Appliances
Price: $299.99
3 used & new from $149.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Works great, unless you want to use continuous draining, June 19, 2011
I use this in my finished basement, and it does an excellent job of keeping it dry. I used it when it was 98 and humid and it did its job. I had to empty it out about two times a day. When the temperature dropped to the 70s and humidity dropped, I emptied it out about once a day. I can be away from my house a couple days at a time, so I hooked up a hose. Initially, it did not drain out of the hose, but instead continued to drain into the bucket. I took off the rear two wheels so it tips back a bit, now it drains through the hose.

If you are considering purchasing this, I would look elsewhere to a product that was designed correctly instead of needing to make an adjustment. If you already purchased this, want to use continuous draining, but do not want to return it, either put some cardboard at the front of the dehumdifier, or take off the rear wheels so it will drain from the hose instead of into the bucket. Hopefully there are no other design errors with this product, since it keeps my basement dry.
Comment Comments (14) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 4, 2014 6:36 AM PDT

Remington RM202A 19-Inch 12 Amp Corded Electric Side Discharge/Mulching Lawn Mower With Single Level Height Adjust
Price: $213.98
6 used & new from $179.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, June 18, 2011
I used a reel mower the past three spring/summers, but it didn't cut through all the grass as evenly as an electric or gas powered mower. In addition, if I waited two weeks I needed to make two passes with my reel mower and it often got clogged up when mowing over even small branches. It was frustrating and I wanted something that cut more evenly. This mower did well mowing through thick grass that has not been mowed for two weeks (at height level three on my mower). It slowed down a little bit, but so does a gas mower in thick grass. It cut my grass evenly and my yard has not looked this good in three years.

Another reason I purchased this mower was that it was Made in USA. The Black & Decker and Toro electric mowers are Made in Mexico, the Earthwise and Homelite mowers are Made in China.

I was debating between a corded or cordless mower. I read a lot of reviews on Amazon, and it appeared that the batteries weighed a lot and need to be replaced every one or two years. Since my yard is on the smaller side and I don't have trees or bushes to mow around, a corded mower fits my needs. I also purchased a 12 gauge 100 foot cord US Wire 65100 12/3 100-Foot SJTW Orange Heavy Duty Extension Cord which is also Made in USA. So far I couldn't be happier. The only caveat is that this mower is made of many plastic parts, so I am a little concerned about its longevity. If I can get this mower to last at least 5 years, I will consider it money well spent.

Page: 1 | 2