Profile for E. A. Lovitt > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 20475

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

E. A. Lovitt "starmoth" RSS Feed (Gladwin, MI USA)
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Tsukineko Full-Size VersaColor Ultimate Pigment Inkpad, White
Tsukineko Full-Size VersaColor Ultimate Pigment Inkpad, White
Price: $6.50
22 used & new from $3.24

4.0 out of 5 stars This is the best white ink pad I've found, February 22, 2015
I generally make and sell between 150 - 200 greeting cards per year to benefit our local library, and I wanted to try stamping white ink on a dark background. The first white I tried (Archival Brilliance - Moonlight White) hardly showed up at all. This VersaColor white was perfect, although it should be noted that it is a slow-drying ink (for embossing purposes). Don't smear your first image like I did!

Please see the customer image for a sympathy card that I stamped with this VersaColor ink pad.

Painted Metal Paper Fasteners 50/Pkg-Hearts/Red, White & Pink
Painted Metal Paper Fasteners 50/Pkg-Hearts/Red, White & Pink
Price: $5.79
5 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful heart-shaped brads, February 21, 2015
This package of heart-shaped brads (called paper fasteners) from Creative Impressions contains 19 white, 18 pink, and 14 red brads, each about 1 centimeter in diameter. I used four of the pink brads for the anniversary card in the customer image.

Each heart-shaped brad has two brass-colored prongs which are long enough to fit comfortably through the card stock. The prongs are easy to flatten.

Tsukineko Full-Size Emboss Inkpad, Clear
Tsukineko Full-Size Emboss Inkpad, Clear
Price: $6.20
21 used & new from $1.89

5.0 out of 5 stars This embossing pad lasts and lasts, February 20, 2015
I generally make and sell between 150 - 200 greeting cards per year, and I like to emboss my stamped cards, especially the text. One of these embossing pads lasts over a year, and I am usually pleased with the results. It helps to rub a powder bag over my paper before embossing the pattern, to keep stray blobs of embossing powder from messing up the design.

Please see the customer image for a sympathy card that I embossed with flowers and ferns, using this Tsukineko pad.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Alliance Can Bandz - Large Elastic Bands for Keeping Wastebasket Liners Secure - 7 x 1/8 Inches Black Bands - 50 per Resealable Bag (7810)
Price: $4.29
6 used & new from $3.14

4.0 out of 5 stars Just the rubber band I was looking for, February 20, 2015
Finally! A rubber band that holds our garbage bags in place and doesn't cost over $5/per band! This is all I've ever wanted. Nothing fancy, just a rubber band that was the right size to fit around the inner pail of our garbage can.

There were 51 rubber bands in my package, enough to last for well over a year. If one stretches out or gets dirty, I can throw it away and start on a new one.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 1, 2015 8:48 AM PST

Sparkle Burst Brads 1.25" 6/Pkg-Stardust
Sparkle Burst Brads 1.25" 6/Pkg-Stardust
Offered by BIC Warehouse
Price: $6.99
4 used & new from $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Add major glitz to your greeting cards, February 18, 2015
I make and sell greeting cards to benefit our local library, and I like to use these sparkle burst brads to add special emphasis to a design on my card front. For instance, I have used them as Christmas Tree toppers, as fireworks on a New Citizen card, and as a decoration on a graduation card (see customer image).

Each of the brads measures about 1.25" across and they are sold six to a package. The colors of the rhinestones are combinations of fuchsia, clear, pink and/or turquoise blue, and the prongs in back of the brad are more than long enough to bend and flatten.

Chinese Turkestan: A Photographic Journey Through an Ancient Civilization
Chinese Turkestan: A Photographic Journey Through an Ancient Civilization
by Ryan Pyle
Price: $39.99
32 used & new from $7.10

5.0 out of 5 stars The Shadows of Empires gone to dust, February 17, 2015
Possibly you've seen this author/photographer's TV documentaries, "Sacred Mountains" or "Tough Rides: India." He and his wife live in Shanghai, China where Ryan Pyle established a career as a photographer for the North American and British press. This book of black-and-white photographs was created during his many trips to Xinjiang (Chinese Turkestan).

If you heard the news, today (02/17/15) you will know that a suicide bomber in Xinjiang "killed as many as eight people last Friday when he grabbed a police officer and set off an explosive device attached to his body." (Radio Free Asia). However, Ryan Pyle chose not to emphasize the ethnic and political tensions between the Uighurs, a Turkic group that makes up about 40 percent of the region's population, and the ethnic Han who make up China's majority. Instead, he concentrated on the people's daily lives, their culture and history. This is a Xinjiang of black and white images, washed in the shadows of the Silk Road, and the shadows of old wars whose original purpose has long been forgotten. We see the faces of the people who must struggle to live in this land of bitter desert and mountain. They inhabit the marketplaces wedged between the old stone walls and the new, but already shoddy Chinese 'peoples' architecture. We see them hammering in forges, calling the faithful to prayer, repairing shoes, weaving carpets on a loom that might have been built when Marco Polo was travelling the Silk Road. We see men dancing in the square in front of the Id Kah Mosque to celebrate the festival that marks the end of Ramadan. Women, their faces invisible behind full niqab walk down the narrow lanes in central Kashgar. There are so many piles of rubble where the old has been torn down to make way for the new.

It is a good thing that Ryan Pyle documented as much as he could of the old Xinjiang. In a few years, it might resemble just another Chinese province. I only wish there had been more text explaining the lives and customs of the Uighurs. Once I examined the photographs in this fascinating book, I wanted to know more about this almost-forgotten corner of China that has been caught between the Moslem and Han folkways, living in the shadows of empires gone to dust.

***review copy supplied by Ryan Pyle Productions***

My Favorite Things Die-Namics Die, 1.4-Inch to 2-Inch, Party Balloons
My Favorite Things Die-Namics Die, 1.4-Inch to 2-Inch, Party Balloons
Price: $11.35
8 used & new from $9.59

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful die for birthday and graduation cards, February 16, 2015
I make and sell greeting cards to benefit our local library and have collected hundreds of different dies over the years. I have found that Die-Namics dies work with all major die-cutting tools on the market. They are a good size for A2 greeting cards (5.5" x 4.25") and cut very well on my Spellbinders Grand Calibur machine. I personally think they cut better than the Spellbinder dies. I have used at least one of my Die-Namics dies well over a hundred times and it still cuts sharply.

These party balloon dies can be used to decorate a variety of different A2 (5.5" x 4.25") greeting cards, including birthday and graduation cards (see customer image for a graduation card I made from one of these dies).

My Favorite Things Die-Namics Die, 4 by 5.25-Inch, Triangle Screen
My Favorite Things Die-Namics Die, 4 by 5.25-Inch, Triangle Screen
Offered by BIC Warehouse
Price: $17.31
11 used & new from $14.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes a great background die-cut for A2 Greeting Cards, February 16, 2015
Die-Namics dies are work with all major die-cutting tools on the market. They are a good size for A2 greeting cards (5.5" x 4.25") and cut very well on my Spellbinders Grand Calibur machine. I personally think they cut better than the Spellbinder dies. I have used at least one of my Die-Namics dies well over a hundred times and it still cuts sharply.

This Triangle Screen die makes quite an elegant background for a variety of different A2 (5.5" x 4.25") greeting cards, including friendship, birthday (see customer image for a birthday card I made from this die) and get-well. I used the die-cut as a 'trellis' to support another die-cut of a climbing flower.

Epiphany Say It In Crystals Adhesive Gem Dots 33/Pkg-
Epiphany Say It In Crystals Adhesive Gem Dots 33/Pkg-

4.0 out of 5 stars Great bling for greeting cards, February 15, 2015
I make and sell greeting cards to benefit our local library, and I use these stick-on ornaments to add bling to my cards. The 33 crystals have flat bottoms and are self-stick for ease of use. They come in three sizes: 10 mm; 8 mm; and 5 mm in diameter. The predominant colors are a light emerald green; a reddish-pink; and a light yellow-orange. All are coated with matching glitter.

I used three of the small yellow-orange crystals to decorate the birthday card in the customer image.

Jolee's Boutique Cabochons Dimensional Stickers, Presents
Jolee's Boutique Cabochons Dimensional Stickers, Presents
Offered by Pricebully
Price: $3.99
4 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute, but a bit bulky for a card, February 13, 2015
Jolee's stickers are almost always best-in-class for decorating greeting cards. I use these presents for embellishing my birthday cards, which I sell to benefit the local library. Please see customer image for an example of a birthday card decorated with one of these stickers (the present in the chair.)

The stickers come 9 to a package and they come in a variety of colors and shapes. My only problem with these stickers is that they are a bit too dimensional. The little pom-pom bows stick out quite a distance. However, they're so cute, I still use them for cards. You simply peel the stickers off of the clear plastic sheet inside the package, and stick them to your card or scrapbook page.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20