Profile for E. A. Lovitt > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 19344

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

E. A. Lovitt "starmoth" RSS Feed (Gladwin, MI USA)
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Indera - Womens Thermal Long John Pant 5000DR
Indera - Womens Thermal Long John Pant 5000DR
Price: $7.84 - $15.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Kind of scratchy - back to my Cuddl Duds, September 30, 2014
I was looking for an alternative to expensive Wintersilk long underwear, especially since this company charges a $15.00 shipping and handling fee on top of their high prices. I bought a pair of Cuddl Duds Women's Softwear Lace Edge Legging Pant and these Women's Thermal Long John Pants from Indera. I wear the long johns in place of pajamas, and on really cold winter days, wear them under my jeans.

The Cuddl Duds were perfect: they felt silky and didn't ride up my legs like the Wintersilk long johns did. Unfortunately, these Indera long johns felt scratchy and really hugged my legs, plus the label was glued so tightly to the interior of the long johns that I couldn't get it out, adding to the scratchiness of the product. These Indera long johns can be used for their original purpose on cold winter days, but they definitely can't be used as pajama bottoms.

Sizzix Movers & Shapers Magnetic Die Set 2PK - Mini Reindeer & 25 Set by Tim Holtz
Price: $12.12
19 used & new from $6.00

4.0 out of 5 stars The reindeer really is 'mini', September 30, 2014
These Mini Reindeer & 25 dies must be used in any one of the Movers & Shapers base dies or base trays, which are compatible with the Sizzix BIGkick, Big Shot and Vagabond machines (with a pair of appropriately sized Cutting Pads). I use them in my Sizzix Big Shot machine with the separately purchased cutting pads and base tray.

These aren't particularly useful dies unless you already own a Sizzix die cutting machine, plus the base trays and cutting pads that are needed to cut these dies.

The reindeer really is 'mini.' See customer image of an A2 (5.5" x 4.24") Christmas card that I decorated with the reindeer die cut, so that you can get an idea of its real size.

Spellbinders S2-118 Shapeabilities Die D-Lites, Holiday Sentiments
Spellbinders S2-118 Shapeabilities Die D-Lites, Holiday Sentiments
Offered by -Supermart
Price: $8.85
8 used & new from $5.11

4.0 out of 5 stars The die cuts are a good fit for A2 greeting cards, September 28, 2014
The Spellbinders Holiday Sentiments die set will allow you to put the following sentiments on your Christmas cards: 'Joy,' 'Noel,' 'Happy Holidays,' and 'Merry Christmas.' This particular set consists of six dies. I got clean cuts with card stock (80 lb) paper as long as I used the CottageCutz Universal Shim Plate Die Cuts with my Spellbinders Grand Calibur Die Cutting Machine. The die cuts will fit nicely on A2 (5.5" x 4.25") greeting cards.

Please see customer image for an example of an A2 Christmas card that was made with the Holiday Sentiments dies.

4mm Bronze Round Nailhead - Hotfix Metal Embellishment - 1440 pcs. (10 Gross)
4mm Bronze Round Nailhead - Hotfix Metal Embellishment - 1440 pcs. (10 Gross)
Offered by CRYSTAL EMPORIUM
Price: $24.39

3.0 out of 5 stars Color not as expected, September 27, 2014
This 4mm size round brass hotfix nailheads are a good size for embellishing A2 (4.25"x5.5") greeting cards. Please see customer image for a Belated Birthday card decorated with eight of these brass nailheads. My only problem with these particular nailheads is their color: they are advertised as 'brass' but are more of a pewter with a slight brassy cast to them.

I use the Darice 2704-01 Rhinestone Setter Hot-Fix Applicator Wand to fasten these nailheads to my cardstock. They are very easy to glue to all types of paper, including metallic or foil cardstock.

Twirled Paper: Make Almost Anything With Simple Paper Strips (Klutz)
Twirled Paper: Make Almost Anything With Simple Paper Strips (Klutz)
by Jacqueline Lee
Edition: Spiral-bound
38 used & new from $0.75

5.0 out of 5 stars A great starter book---and not just for kids, September 27, 2014
I was into quilling or the art of paper filigree long before I got this book, and I can state without reservation that this is 'the' easiest book (and kit) I've ever come across to get you started in art of decorating objects with 'twirled' bits of paper. I really enjoyed the projects in this book and the directions are easy enough for anyone to follow. Don't think this book is just for kids. See the customer's image of a greeting card that I made and sold using patterns from this book.

Supplies included with the kit: colored strips of quilling paper (you can also buy pre-cut into strips of various widths from hobby stores), a 'twirling wand', glue, and 'googly eyes.' You will also want blank greeting cards, scissors, straight pins, and a cork board marked with circles where you can pin your petals, rolls, leaves, and hearts into (say) a butterfly before gluing the individual pieces together. Instead of a cork board, the author of this book uses a square of corrugated cardboard covered with waxed paper.

An optional piece of equipment is a fringing tool ($50 at the online quilling superstore). You might also want a paper crimper. Both of the latter items are needed for any fancy flower creations.

Each project in 'Twirled Paper' is broken down into easy, well-illustrated steps, and the book is spiral-bound so you can lay the pages flat. You start out making coils and progress into hearts, antennae, 'feet', teardrops, wings, eyes, tulips, diamonds, rectangles, moons, arrows, and triangles. Glue various shapes together, and voila! you'll have constructed dragon flies, roosters, pigs, mermaids, owls, spaceships...just about anything you can imagine. This really is a great introduction to the art of paper filigree.

Overextended: A Practical Guide to Correcting the Housing Market
Overextended: A Practical Guide to Correcting the Housing Market
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars If there is a way to save your house from foreclosure, you'll find it in this book, September 26, 2014
Before this author gets into the practicalities of correcting the housing market and saving our homes from foreclosure, he delves into the history and politics of how this country got into such a housing mess in the first place.

The whole thrust of administrations starting with Reagan and continuing through Clinton and Bush seemed to be to deregulate banking in this country: "By 2003, there was no longer the need for any further deregulation or policy reform; lending institutions could essentially do whatever they desired to make a profit."

A special villain in the plot to foreclose our homes seems to have been former Senator Phil Gramm:

"Mr. Gramm was referred to as 'the father of the foreclosure crisis' by Nobel-prize-winning economist Paul Krugman for his direct impact on [the bill that allowed banks, security firms, and insurance companies to merge]...It should be noted that Gramm was the top recipient of campaign contributions from commercial banks...until 2002 when he left the Senate and moved abroad."

I didn't totally agree with the author's politics--for instance I don't think the United States should still be on the gold standard--but Part 1 of this book will bring you up-to-date on how the politicians and bankers, and our own lack of foresight got us into our housing dilemma in the first place.

"Part 2: Foreclosure 101" continues the history lesson through the 2006 Market Crash. My husband and I were lucky that we retired when we did and sold our house in Detroit in 2004, before the bottom dropped out of the housing market. Detroit, where some economists believe the foreclosure crisis originated, was very hard hit and is still trying to struggle back from bankruptcy.

The actual process of foreclosing on a home is described in detail, and varies from state to state. If you check Appendix A for your particular state, you will learn your exact foreclosure type, the Estimated Process Period when Uncontested, the Sale Publish Period, Time to Respond (if applicable), the Loan Reinstatement Options, the Loan Redemption Options (if applicable), the Deficiency Judgments (if allowed), the eviction Procedure, and the Foreclosure Statutes.

"Part 3: Stand up for Yourself" is realistic, no-nonsense advice on what you can and should do if you find yourself in foreclosure. According to the author, "the most common objective sought by homeowners is retaining their property. This is also the most difficult end result to obtain for most because doing so primarily revolves around satisfactory finances, something that is often lacking for people in this position...Essentially, if the home isn't in a balanced or positive equity state, it is best to focus on other alternatives." However, if there is a way to save your house from foreclosure, you are going to find it in this book.

The final section in this book takes us back to the 'The Big Picture' and suggestions on how to mitigate the harmful effects of foreclosure, although the author is pessimistic that much can be done as long as housing prices remain at such artificially high levels.

There are some very useful appendices at the back of "Overextended" including a 'Functional Glossary,' various case studies, and suggested further reading.

***review copy supplied by author***

Dechunxian® Yunnan Premium 250g Pu-erh Puer Pu Erh Black Tea Diet Tea,100% Natural Organic Tea Leaves,produced From High Mountain Ancient Tree (Raw Tea Mild Flavor)
Offered by WeiHeng
Price: $49.99

4.0 out of 5 stars My niece tested the 'ripe' version of this brand of pu'er tea, September 23, 2014
I am not a tea drinker, so I asked my niece to test and review this tea, as she spent several months in China and became quite a connoisseur of tea while she was studying over there:

This tea comes packaged very nicely; it comes in a sturdy, quality, paper bag with Chinese writing on the outside. I can read and speak Mandarin, and it is in fact Chinese. They are not passing off some other product of another country and hoping English speakers won't notice. The tea is wrapped nicely in a white paper; sturdier than tissue paper but still not completely opaque. It is handsomely decorated as well. It's good for holding the tea block in, and also catching any small tea crumbs that inevitably come off. You could easily give this as a gift and keep it in the original packaging.

The tea itself is pressed into a large circular block. It measures about 6 inches in diameter. It is like all dried tea blocks; compressed, dark in color, hard, long lasting, slightly fragrant, and not the easiest thing to break cup sized chunks off of. I usually use a small paring knife and cut out a chunk on the edges, and work my way in. Sort of how I imagine an ice pick would work. Definitely not for small children or shaky unsteady hands to work. They'd be better off with loose leaf tea.

I usually use a teaspoon-sized amount for a large glass or thermos of tea. You boil some water, pour it over the tea into the sink first, THEN steep it into the glass. Sort of like rinsing off vegetables, you're supposed to rinse the tea with the hot water briefly. I usually just rinse it while it's inside the tea strainer, as I don't have a tea pot. But you could just use the tea pot lid to strain out the water. Then you steep the tea. Remember, the tea expands by about twice the volume it is dried, you don't need a lot to make one cup of tea.

This tea is one of the more bitter teas I've had. Especially if left to brew longer, but that is true with all tea. It turns the water an amber color almost immediately and is in danger of brewing too long quite easily. It can be so easy to accidentally leave the tea brewing too long and end up with a cup of undrinkable bitter leaf juice. So be careful on how long you let this brew. But when left for the proper amount of time it compares with anything I had in China, decent quality tea.

I have not bothered to translate all the Chinese on the packaging, as it would be time consuming (and probably very boring). It says here on this website that it is from Yunnan Province in China, and Yunnan is famous for their tea, so that would make sense. But even if it isn't from Yunnan that doesn't really make that much difference, only the most experience tea `masters' would be able to tell where the leaves were picked. For someone like myself, who started to like tea after spending time in China, it's perfectly fine, and probably for most other non-Chinese. People who drink tea as a part of their culture may have higher standards, and a more sensitive palate. This is a stronger tea and in my opinion not for the newcomer to tea. The bitterness would probably turn most drinkers off. I'd recommend something lighter, like a red plum black tea or maybe a white tea.

This is not my personal favorite, I like more of the flower blossom flavors, the lighter teas. But this is a decent tea for Pu'er, and it was handsomely packaged. I would definitely consider this as a gift for a Chinese professor or tutor.

***This product was supplied by the manufacturer for testing and reviewing purposes***

BaZooples Buttons-Multi Fish
BaZooples Buttons-Multi Fish
Price: $1.29
14 used & new from $0.18

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute fish accent buttons for greeting cards, September 22, 2014
I make and sell greeting cards to benefit our local library, and I like to use fancy buttons to add special emphasis to a design on my card front. These fish buttons from Bazooples are a cute accent on all kinds of cards, including the birthday card in the customer image.

Each of the fish buttons measures about 1 inch long, and they are sold three to a package. I always cut the shank off of the back of the button before hot-glueing it to my card.

The Tattered Lace Magazine with the Rambling Rose Cutting Die Issue 5
The Tattered Lace Magazine with the Rambling Rose Cutting Die Issue 5

4.0 out of 5 stars A cute die plus instructions on how to use it, September 20, 2014
The 'Tattered Lace' brand sells some very elegant dies and 'Rambling Rose' is one of them. I make and sell cards to benefit our local library, and cards decorated with Tattered Lace dies sell out almost as soon as I put them out on the card rack. Cardstock (80 lb.) yields a clean cut when I use the CottageCutz Universal Shim Plate Die Cuts in combination with this die.

Please see customer image for an example of an A2 (5.5"x4.25") birthday card that I made with this die.

This is the 5th issue of the "Tattered Lace" magazine which has the 4"x2.5" Rambling Rose die attached to it. Inside there are illustrated instructions on how to use this particular die, and many of the instructions also include other Tattered Lace dies such as the 'Basket Full of Delight' die. All of the instructions come with step-by-step color photographs.

Some of the other dies featured in projects in this issue are the 'Mini Blooms' die set, the 'Mannequin' die set, the 'Lacy Chrysanthemum' die set, the 'Frippery & Frills' dies, the 'Rocking Horse die, the 'Venetian Swag' die set, the 'Doily Delights' die, the 'Kensington' die set the 'Venetian Floral' die set, the 'Venetian Fern' die, and the 'Chantilly Rose' die. All come with step-by-step tutorials. You will have to purchase these dies separately.

A really cute special feature shows how to make a fairground carousel box using the carousel template in the magazine, the Rocking Horse die, the Venetian Swag die set, pink polka dot cardstock (a free download), pink polka dot organza ribbon, ultra fine glitter, and faux pearls.

This magazine also includes six pages of patterned, double-sided backing papers, mainly in shades of pink, green, and lavender.

SS10 (3mm) Amethyst Hot Fix Rhinestones 10 Gross (1440 stones/pkg) Hotfix Rhinestones - 32 Colors and 4 sizes available
Offered by Threadart
Price: $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Tiny but useful, September 19, 2014
I ordered these SS10 (2.70-2.80 mm) rhinestones by mistake instead of my usual SS20 (5 mm) hot fix rhinestones, but I found a use for these and they work just like their larger cousins.

I prefer the hot fix type to any other kind of rhinestone. I've always had bad luck with the rhinestones that come pre-stuck to a piece of plastic. (Please see customer image above for a Halloween card decorated with SS10 fuschia rhinestones).

I use the Darice 2704-01 Rhinestone Setter Hot-Fix Applicator Wand to fasten these rhinestones to my cardstock. The only drawback: the rhinestones don't attach very well to any kind of shiny or foil cardstock, and I have to resort to regular glue.

I've also attached these hot fix rhinestones to cloth with no problems.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20