Profile for Harry > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 28

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Harry RSS Feed (Chicago)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Paris: The Collected Traveler: An Inspired Anthology and Travel Resource
Paris: The Collected Traveler: An Inspired Anthology and Travel Resource
by Barrie Kerper
76 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as described, February 10, 2005
I thought this book would be chapter legnth stories by people who visited paris. Instead, it is more like a listing of places to stay, places to eat. There were some essays, most a page or two, but they were not helpful. One example of an essay was a professor from New York who wrote how the French are rude. Another 2 page essay was on "cheap places to eat", but the cheapest resturant was over $75.

I want to enjoy my trip, not start out finding things not to like.

Miami Vice: Season 1
Miami Vice: Season 1
DVD ~ Don Johnson
Offered by Outlet Promotions
Price: $28.88
14 used & new from $7.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Hope it gets released on DVD..., September 1, 2004
This review is from: Miami Vice: Season 1 (DVD)
I am adding my vote for the studio to release Miami Vice on DVD. Just make sure to keep the original music, don't try to change it like other studio's have done with their DVD's. And don't cram too many episodes per DVD. It would be nice if they used the available resolution of the DVD to give us a great looking and clear picture.

This is a great show, the music was great, the acting was great, and it would keep me fully interested for the time the show was on. I hope they release it soon, and do a good job of producing a nice set.

The Van [VHS]
The Van [VHS]
VHS
Offered by Eli 2000
Price: $44.98
15 used & new from $6.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny comedy..., August 11, 2004
This review is from: The Van [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I enjoyed this movie very much, it had me laughing. Colm Meaney is excellent in this movie, and delivers some of the best lines which made me shoot soda out of my nose. It is a movie I would love to add to my DVD collection, so I hope the release it soon.

John Adams
John Adams
by David McCullough
Price: $10.55
836 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best biographies I have read..., July 12, 2004
This review is from: John Adams (Paperback)
This book is a very readable book. Unlike some other history books which are dry, this one reads like a novel. I loved how they showed the personal side of a public man. His loving relationship with his wife Abigail is revealed through letters he wrote her. I also loved how the author described John Adams relationship with Thomas Jefferson, down to the little details like when they shared a room in philly one wanted the window open and the other wanted it closed. This book shows that the founding fathers did not live in a vacuum, all alone, responding to each others politics; but that they were freinds with complex relationships. I like how this book lets us see our countries greatest patriots as real people. I highly reccomend this book, there is a sage like quality to it. If this was the kind of reading offered in high school or college, I might have been more interested in history.

Magnum P.I.: Season 1
Magnum P.I.: Season 1
DVD ~ Tom Selleck
Price: $9.96
102 used & new from $2.24

5.0 out of 5 stars I am so glad Magnum will be on DVD!, July 12, 2004
This review is from: Magnum P.I.: Season 1 (DVD)
This was my favorite show on TV back in the early 1990's when it ran on the USA network right after Major Dad (I missed it's first run on TV in the 1980's). What made Magnum such a great show is the depth of the characters. We really get to know these people. Every episode adds to the character in some way. And there are enough reoccuring characters in the series that we feel continuity. For example, Magnum strikes up a friendship with leutenant Mac, who gives Magnum information from time to time. And while Mac is reluctant to let Magnum get information from the Navy computers, the tug of war in their relationship is played out just like it should. And when Mac gets in trouble, Magnum is there for him. The personal relationship is real on the screen, the actors are that good. I can't expalin it any better than to say they feel like real people, guys I would want to hang out with and drink a beer with. I can easily say this is the best PI series ever on TV, and is better than anything on TV today.
And add me to the list of people who wants to see a reunion movie while they are all still alive. I can't imagine Higgings is getting any younger.

Blairs Sudden Death Hot Sauce with Ginseng, 5 fl oz
Blairs Sudden Death Hot Sauce with Ginseng, 5 fl oz
Offered by Tal Depot
Price: $10.00
5 used & new from $9.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Of all the sauces I own, this is my favorite HOT HOT sauce, July 10, 2004
I find the best way to rate hot sauces on heat is to compare them to other sauces. This is just slightly hotter than Dave's Insanity Sauce, but slightly less heat than Mad Dog Inferno. It is way hotter than any tobaso product. If tobaso is the only hot sauce you have eaten, I would suggest eating something more mild than Blair's. Sudden Death will give a good burn to just about anyone but the most serious chili heads.
What I like about this sauce the most is the flavor. It is very good. Unlike some of the extract sauces which lack flavor, I found this one to taste very good. And it has the heat kick that many of the better tasting sauces do not have.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 25, 2014 7:09 AM PDT

DA BOMB Ground Zero, 4 fl oz
DA BOMB Ground Zero, 4 fl oz
Offered by Etailz
Price: $12.57
8 used & new from $7.08

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want HOT, this is gonna burn you, July 10, 2004
I can not really tell you too much about the flavor because this burned all the taste buds off my tounge. Before I tried it, I thought it smelled good. I could smell the pinapple juice in it. It made me think of the tropics.
Now to put the taste in context. I eat Dave's Insanity Sauce and have no problem with the heat, as a matter of fact I asked the salesperson for something hotter because I was getting used to eating very hot foods. I eat Blair's Sudden Death Sauce and think it has good heat. But Da Bomb was easily so much hotter than those two it burned my tounge like nothing else I have tried. I found myself by the kitchen sink washing my mouth with water. For those who eat tobasco, move on, this is like asking for car battery acid. But for those who are eating habanero's and think Dave's is mild, then this might be what you are looking for.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 23, 2012 3:19 PM PDT

Dawson's Creek - The Complete Third Season
Dawson's Creek - The Complete Third Season
DVD ~ James Van Der Beek
Price: $13.63
88 used & new from $4.50

2.0 out of 5 stars Season 1 is the best!, June 29, 2004
Season 1 of Dawson's Creek was the best in the series. It is the only DVD set I have purchased, and I will not be buying season 2 or 3. Part of the reason I will not buy it is they changed the music. But what I can not forgive is the quality of the picture is not very sharp or good. It is not better than a good VHS copy. At times the picture looked grainy. Some have said they used compression because they did not want to include an extra DVD. This set should really have another DVD so the quality would be better, they would not have to cram so many episodes into one disc.
While I love Dawson's Creek and would tell everyone to watch it on TBS, I can not reccomend this DVD set. I believe the studio will eventually get it right and re-release all the seasons with enough DVD's to keep picture quality high and will the original music. That is the DVD set I will wait for, even if it takes a few years.
This DVD set is worth less than one star, but I just can't give that rating to a show I love so much.

My Life
My Life
by Bill Clinton
122 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars People should read the book before critisizing it..., June 24, 2004
This review is from: My Life (Hardcover)
The review section is about the book, not the author. It is not a place to vent about Clintons politics. This is a place to rate the book, and that requires reading the book. It is a shame so many people are giving bad reviews who have not read the book.
Since so many people have given the book 1 star who have not read it, I feel compelled to reiterate what I said earlier. This is a great book. Once I started reading it, I could not put it down. I read it cover to cover, and it held my interest the whole way through. Clinton was a president who gave us the best economic growth I have ever experianced in my lifetime. Because of this, I wanted to know what made him different from other presidents and leaders. There are lessons in this book on how to be sucessful in any endeavor. It turns out the anwser is he looked for the best in people, and they delivered. He created optimism, and everyone was secure in knowing the best was yet to come. Even in the face of an unconstitutional attack by the nazi wing of the republican party, an attack unseen since the McCarthy hearings, Bill Clinton managed to stay upbeat and focused on his job. He is a man of strong character, and that is evident in the book as one can see all his accomplishments and how he deals with people.

It Doesn't Take a Hero : The Autobiography of General H. Norman Schwarzkopf
It Doesn't Take a Hero : The Autobiography of General H. Norman Schwarzkopf
by General H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Price: $7.99
336 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, filled with adventure..., June 23, 2004
This is a great book written like a novel. Norm takes us with him, we feel like we are there reliving his life events. We also get to see the softer side of Stormin Normin, as he nearly punches out a MP in Vietnam who was less than respectful of an asian college. Softer, you ask? Read the rest of the book to see what he gets like when mad. I also liked the part of the book where Norm was talking about the problem with the NVA attacking, then running across the Cambodia border so the USA Army could not attack. One day Norms platoon is attacked and the NVA runs away, so Norm calls another soilder and asks for the map. The other soilder points to Cambodia and says "they crossed the border". Norm takes the map, licks his thumb, and proceeds to erase/smudge the part of the map that shows the border. Norm then says "Nah, they are still in Vietnam, lets go get em".
Just be warned, after reading this book you might feel like going to the local Army recruiting station. It is a great book!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3