Profile for DAVID ALLEN > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 25

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

DAVID ALLEN RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Surviving Paradise: One Year On A Disappearing Island
Surviving Paradise: One Year On A Disappearing Island
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Paradise Not, December 8, 2013
For years I have had an urge to visit a Pacific atoll and stay a while to see what life is like there. This book gives me all the detail I need and want. I will know exactly what to expect when I do make it there. The author is very realistic about his feelings and describes accurately how the natives live and how they think. You just can't get this kind of info anywhere else that I know of. Perhaps in a few of the British books about life on the islands when they ruled them. But this book gives it to you straight. You will learn that these islands are far from a paradise in fact probably the opposite. If the predictions about global sea levels rising come true then before too long these settlements won't even exist and this way of life will be lost except in books like this. I highly recommend this one.

Getting High: The Annapurna Circuit in Nepal
Getting High: The Annapurna Circuit in Nepal
Price: $4.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Kind of Strange, September 16, 2013
I bought this book because I am considering an Annapurna trek. I learned a little from it but not much was new because I had done a Nepal trek 3 years ago so I have a pretty good idea of what it entails. This book was mostly about all the problems he created for himself by doing so much against good advice and then his altitude sickness problems which really is a different subject not specific to Annapurna trek. It was as if he created problems so he could write a book about it. Somewhat interesting, not dull, but a forgettable book.

Samsung Connection Kit with USB and SD Adapters for i905 Galaxy Tab - Retail Packaging - Black
Offered by Trading24
Price: $21.85
7 used & new from $13.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective, September 16, 2013
None of the attachments fit. This is a scam or close to it. Completely worthless. I called the "seller's" phone number a week ago and talked to a very nice man who told me they had quality problems from the manufacturer(s). He assured me that instructions would soon be sent to me for the product's return and refund. I'm not holding my breath waiting, fortunately it was not an expensive item. Even if I actually do get a refund this deal stinks considering the time and trouble I will go through.

Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why
Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why
Price: $9.67

4.0 out of 5 stars Fairly Interesting, August 30, 2013
Some stories of people that survived extreme circumstances and how they did it also stories of some that didn't survive, Nothing very surprising here but often fascinating. Not sure this teaches anybody about exactly what to do in a bad situation, but I was pleased that other survivors reacted the same way I did when I was in trouble, with black humor, acceptance, don't panic. Nothing here that's actually life-changing for me at least, but a generally good read.

Certified Refurbished Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers [Previous Generation]
Price: $99.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Has a Gltch, July 11, 2013
I really like this illuminated display. I believe the display is smaller than my old regular Kindle, but this is not a problem, I don't even notice. the battery life seems very long and I love being able to read it in the tent at night after dark without the hassle of putting on a headlamp. (I do a lot of backpacking). My only complaint and I admit I should really contact Amazon about this is that the page turner sometimes jumps the page way into the next chapter somewhere and using the back button seems to be ineffective when this happens, it simply won't page back right. Sometimes I have to go to beginning of book and page through to where (I think) I was. Otherwise it is a great product for me, it has more features than my old Kindle, some of which I actually use once in a while.

Before Atlantis: 20 Million Years of Human and Pre-Human Cultures
Before Atlantis: 20 Million Years of Human and Pre-Human Cultures
Price: $11.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Much New Here, July 2, 2013
I have enjoyed Frank Joseph's books before, but this one is not up to his usual standard. There is a long section on the "aquatic phase" of human development and evolution which is just speculation in my opinion and not especially interesting at that. The rest of the book consists of a compendium of such subjects as dolmens and standing stones and others relics of the megalithic age. He concludes that such sites exist all over the world, are numerous even in the USA and many of these sites are not taken seriously as to their age or significance especially in the USA by the mainstream scientific establishment. Yes, but I knew that already, having read Joseph's other books. So, not a lot that is new and it's a long book for for just a few really enlightening passages.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 26, 2014 5:18 AM PST

Moby Dick
Moby Dick
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A good classic, May 31, 2013
This review is from: Moby Dick (Kindle Edition)
A good Kindle book to take on a trip as I did recently. Not so gripping that I couldn't put the it down, but more of a bedtime book or a reading on the plane type of book. I did not remember, from reading it in my youth, how "padded" with a lot of excessive ramblings it is. Still, the good parts are very good or excellent, and it's fun to read about what life was like almost 200 years ago.

Planes without Passengers: the Faked Hijackings of 9/11
Planes without Passengers: the Faked Hijackings of 9/11
Price: $3.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, May 2, 2013
Hartwell raises a lot of issues worth wondering about, but unfortunately after I read this book I was only confused at a higher level. He speculates with theory after theory many of which are hard for me to believe even though I have come to think that 9/11 was an inside job. Of course the whole conception of 9/11 as a plot by the administration is difficult to accept at first so any of his theories are possible, I suppose. Even the wild ones are. To think that Osama, working from Afghanistan and a handful of Muslim kooks or dupes could pull this off is the wildest theory of all and inconceivable to me. This book makes me want to learn a lot more about this whole plot as the info here is not satisfying, it is just provocative. Still, I would say this book is a worthwhile addition to all the 9/11 literature, just not one of the better ones.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 31, 2013 12:26 PM PST

Forbidden History: Prehistoric Technologies, Extraterrestrial Intervention, and the Suppressed Origins of Civilization
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly very good, March 4, 2013
It is a gathering of articles from Atlantis Rising which I am always meaning to subscribe to. I am familiar with most of the subject matter but the articles sometimes shed new light on or give a new explanations of the classic mysteries of ancient civilizations that were in many ways more advanced than us. The question of where they came from and where they went is not definitively answered but possibilities are raised for us to ponder which is what I love to do. Not every article is gripping, but enough of them are that on a multi-day backpacking trip I recently took I looked forward eagerly each night for this bedtime reading.

Papua New Guinea & Solomon Islands (Country Travel Guide)
Papua New Guinea & Solomon Islands (Country Travel Guide)
by Rowan McKinnon
46 used & new from $0.26

4.0 out of 5 stars An informative LP book, December 7, 2012
I read the parts I was interested in and found it useful as all the LP books are. Nothing unusual here, just a good guide to a neglected corner of the world.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3