ARRAY(0xa1d35b40)

Customer Reviews: 1387

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Brian E. Erland RSS Feed (Brea, CA - USA)
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Stress Management For Dummies
Stress Management For Dummies
by Allen Elkin
Price: $16.68
46 used & new from $9.79

3.0 out of 5 stars Worked Okay for this Dummy, November 30, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I haven't read any of the other 'Dummies' books, maybe I just don't take well to being called a dummy. However when it comes to anxiety, I'm riddled with it and even a little name calling wouldn't keep me from seeing if I could learn anything from this book series.

As far as reading straight through, that wasn't going to happen. I found myself doing more of a hunt and peck for the information I found most insightful. But for that cause alone, this book was enjoyable enough, relatively informative and did what I has assumed it would.

I can't say I'm sold entirely on reading other 'Dummies' books, but won't be throwing this volume out just yet..

~ Allison Erland

thinkThin Chocolate Espresso, Gluten Free, 2.1-Ounce Bars (Pack of 15)
thinkThin Chocolate Espresso, Gluten Free, 2.1-Ounce Bars (Pack of 15)

4.0 out of 5 stars yummy and healthy!, November 30, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
From someone who has tried all the diet/health/meal replacement bars under the sun I'd have to say this is on par. Not amazing, not terrible. I liked the coffee flavour and the overall texture, what really sells me this bar is it's being gluten free. I'll probably purchase again, time will tell.

The UCLA Dynasty
The UCLA Dynasty
DVD ~ Ucla Dynasty
Price: $19.98
26 used & new from $13.21

5.0 out of 5 stars The Stuff Of Legend, August 16, 2013
This review is from: The UCLA Dynasty (DVD)
There was no bigger fan of the late John Wooden and UCLA basketball in the sixties and seventies than myself. I watched it all in amazement as it happened and now after all these years their herculean accomplishments are still hard to comprehend. Needless to say watching this film is not only a wonderfully nostalgic stroll down memory lane detailing the Bruins achievements on the court and in the record book but also a fascinating social and political mosaic chronicling the turbulent times these events took place. My favorite moments however are the intimate. shared reminiscences by many of the pivotal players under Coach Woodens' tutorage. If you're a UCLA fan or just a sports fan in general you'll appreciate what this documentary has to offer.

The one thing that bothers me about this presentation is the noticeable absence of Kareem Abdul Jabbar (aka: Lew Alcindor), arguably the greatest Bruin of them all. I certainly can't imagine him not being invited to participate in the film, so what happened? If anyone knows the answer post a comment.

Dear Girls Above Me: Inspired by a True Story
Dear Girls Above Me: Inspired by a True Story
by Charlie McDowell
Price: $11.35
80 used & new from $2.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Dear Girls Above Me, June 20, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Really enjoyed the Dear Girls Above Me twitter feed, Charlie McDowell is fabulously witty and this book has been a wonderful light read. I have already recommended it to friends, and imagine it must be the perfect beach book.

Perky-Pet 130TF 8-Ounce Glass Top Fill Hummingbird Feeder
Perky-Pet 130TF 8-Ounce Glass Top Fill Hummingbird Feeder
Price: $18.98
28 used & new from $14.26

5.0 out of 5 stars When You Just Want To Watch Hummingbirds Hassle Free, June 19, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Perky-Pet 130TF 8-Ounce Glass Top Fill Hummingbird Feeder is a lightweight, durable, plastic hummingbird feeder that does exactly what you buy it to do. It provides hours of enjoyable, relaxing moments of watching these incredible little flying creatures dart about outside your window feeding on the nourishing liquid you've so graciously offered them.
Above and beyond that simple pleasure, the top fill feature is a wonderful improvement making the refills, fast and easy so one can get back to watching the newest batch of liquid refreshment disappear as quickly as the last.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 30, 2013 12:47 PM PDT

The Other Typist
The Other Typist
by Suzanne Rindell
Price: $19.44
108 used & new from $3.77

4.0 out of 5 stars A Lovely Work of Fiction for this Gatsby fan, May 23, 2013
This review is from: The Other Typist (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As the art deco devotee that I am, I was drawn to this book like a fly to the flame. In the current market where all things Gatsby are golden I've found quite a few flops, The Other Typist however is not one of them.

I cannot say I find this book to be without flaw, but the characters and world were so meticulously sculpted that I found it sickeningly easy to spend my hours in it's 1920's world.

Freemasons For Dummies
Freemasons For Dummies
by Christopher Hodapp
Price: $15.92
59 used & new from $10.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Be A Dummie, Read The Book!, May 23, 2013
This review is from: Freemasons For Dummies (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I initially resisted adding books to my personal library that overtly implicated me as being a dummy. After all, a library is not only meant to impart wisdom and entertain. They're supposed to impress friends and family as to how intelligent you are. Titles ending in the words "for dummies" doesn't impress anybody. Nevertheless I've now read a couple and find myself ready to cast aside the pretense of "scholar" and simply embrace the books that provide the information I desire. That is exactly what 'Freemasons For Dummies' by Christopher Hodapp accomplishes. It's well written, wonderfully organized, concise and just overflowing with all the essential material about masonry one could hope for. I can now say it out loud, "I'm a dummy"! Or would it be more correct to say "I was a dummy."

~ BEE

The Ordinary Acrobat: A Journey into the Wondrous World of the Circus, Past and Present
by Duncan Wall
Price: $19.53
85 used & new from $3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Let's Run Away and Join The Circus, April 14, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Sometimes I find myself daydreaming that I have in-fact been blessed with a strange talent, and I pack my little handkerchief up with my most prized possessions and tie it onto the top of a stick and just hop on a train and run away to the circus. There is such a strange and magical quality to the oddities and artistry behind the circus, I have always found it to be fascinating, and The Ordinary Acrobat was just what the doctor ordered!

Sometimes it feels more like a class outline or textbook, but it is packed with information from cover to cover that I've never read anyplace else.

Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald
Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald
by Therese Fowler
Price: $17.43
128 used & new from $1.36

4.0 out of 5 stars She refused to be bored chiefly because she wasn't boring, April 14, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Zelda Fitzgerald has always been one of those fascinating almost mythical characters to me. She was such a strong, vibrant woman who was so far ahead of her time it is almost unfathomable.

You really do feel like you're watching her character hop right off the screen in Woody Allen's 'Midnight in Paris' and you pick up right where you left off when you open this book. I have to admit I really loved creating my own soundtrack to listen to in the background while reading this, it is just so fantastically easy to immerse yourself in.

I've always imagined Zelda as a real force to be reckoned, and reading Z, felt like I was hearing all about her straight from the horses mouth. Such a fantastic read about a truly amazing lady.

Eighty Days: Nellie Bly and Elizabeth Bisland's History-Making Race Around the World
by Matthew Goodman
Price: $20.90
64 used & new from $4.54

3.0 out of 5 stars Up Up and Away, April 14, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Matthew Goodman's Eighty Days: Nellie Bly and Elizabeth Bisland's History-making Race Around the World is quite an adventure. Although I consider myself rather knowledgeable when it comes to history, I was not familiar with Nellie's opponent Elizabeth Bisland, and from the get go this book was nothing but a learning experience.

As far as my personal taste goes, Eighty Days leans a bit heavy into tedious, textbook material in many instances, instead of just being an entertaining read. It is rather dense and a bit daunting.

I'd recommend this book to anyone interested in Bly or Bisland themselves, the time period, woman's rights and travel. I can't say I will sit down and read it over and over but it is surely a well-written and informative read!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20