Profile for Paul Gifford > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 176

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Paul Gifford RSS Feed (Maryland)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Kia Motors Front Drive Sunglasses Case For 2010 2011 2012 2013 Kia Soul
Kia Motors Front Drive Sunglasses Case For 2010 2011 2012 2013 Kia Soul
Offered by HAM MOTORS
Price: $18.48
9 used & new from $8.51

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for every Kia Soul, February 4, 2014
I don't know why this doesn't come standard on every Kia Soul. I've never understood why there's an "oh s***" handle on the driver's side...even if my car had an automatic transmission I've got the steering wheel to hang on to. This little flip down sunglasses holder is much better use of the spot above the driver's door.

As a factory item should this case fits perfectly and is easy to install...just remove the bolts securing the handle and screw this case in. The screws are attached to the case with thin retaining nuts which is a nice touch...no dropped parts! The whole operation took about 5 minutes. Be sure to push the case all the way into the holes in the headliner - it's a snug fit (which eliminates rattles) and the screws won't reach unless the case is properly positioned.

The case itself has padding inside to protect the sunglasses. It locks open and gently closes - it doesn't snap shut. If you have oversized sunglasses (think Sally Jessy Raphael glasses) the case will probably be too small but it works fine for standard-sized glasses. The sunglasses are held securely in place. They don't rattle around in the case and the case itself doesn't make noise when empty.

This case is well-designed and well-built, and a bargain for the price. If you've got a suitable Kia Soul you should order this case.

Note: I have a 2011 Kia Soul. Delivery from S. Korea took 3 weeks to the east coast of the U.S.

The Quick and the Dead (Original Mix)
The Quick and the Dead (Original Mix)
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great song...just had to buy it, January 14, 2014
I first heard this song on a dance video (search for "time control dubstep") - after watching the video a few times the song was stuck in my head. I mean that in a good way, not like when you get "Muskrat Love" or "Last Christmas" stuck in your head. Rather than listen to the random snippets of the song my brain manages to come up with I figured I'd buy the song and listen to the whole thing...plus it's cool to support the artist. Listen to the sample here or the whole thing online, then come back to Amazon and drop a buck on it...it's worth it.

Kikkerland The Gentleman's Shower Curtain, 72-Inch by 72-Inch
Kikkerland The Gentleman's Shower Curtain, 72-Inch by 72-Inch
Price: Click here to see our price
17 used & new from $6.85

3.0 out of 5 stars Typos mar an otherwise great curtain, October 31, 2013
I didn't notice the misspellings on the curtain when I ordered it so if you're picky (pedantic?) you may want to reconsider this curtain. "Franz Josef" is misspelled, "Wellsian" should be "Wellesian", "Long Shoreman" is one word, and by "Damian" they probably meant "Damien" (though I don't remember the kid having a beard).

It would have been nice if the holes for the rings were reinforced with metal grommets. Like other vinyl shower curtains, there's a strong smell when the curtain is first removed from the package.

Still, it's a cool shower curtain, definitely different! Maybe in the next printing, in addition to fixing the typos they can add in the "Maynard G. Krebs" and the "Svengali".

Carry On Wayward Son
Carry On Wayward Son
Offered by SONY Music Entertainment Downloads LLC.
Price: $0.69

5.0 out of 5 stars I still get chills, February 24, 2013
This review is from: Carry On Wayward Son (MP3 Music)
I've heard this song countless times but when the vocals start after the minute-long intro I still get chills. At the risk of sounding like a real old guy...most of the music out today isn't even in the same league as this (at least the Foo Fighters still crank out great rock and roll).

StarTech 6-Feet SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Extension Cable A to A - M/F (USB3SEXTAA6)
StarTech 6-Feet SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Extension Cable A to A - M/F (USB3SEXTAA6)
Price: Click here to see our price
52 used & new from $5.90

4.0 out of 5 stars It works, July 28, 2012
What can I say about this? It's an extension cable and it works. I have a USB 3.0 card installed in my desktop computer and a portable USB 3.0 card reader with a very short cable (because it's more of a laptop product). This cable works just as it should - my card reader still operates at USB 3.0 speeds and I no longer have to reach under the desk to insert or remove SD cards. I like that the cable color is "USB 3.0 blue" to differentiate it from all the black USB 2.0 cables I have around.

The exposed metal at the female end keeps this from being a 5 star extension cable. I have a USB 2.0 extension cable (AmazonBasics USB 2.0 Extension Cable) and the female end is encased in plastic. I know that there's not a lot of power running through the cable but I taped the card reader to my desk in such a way that the exposed metal connection isn't near any metal parts, just in case.

This is a good, basic USB 3.0 extension cable at a fair price. I'd buy it again.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 6, 2013 6:33 AM PST

Anker® USB 3.0 Multi-in-1 Card Reader 4-Slots for SDXC, SDHC, SD, CF, High-Speed CF (UDMA), MS, M2, Micro SDXC, Micro SDHC, Micro SD Cards [Support UHS-I Cards]
Offered by AnkerDirect
Price: $29.99
2 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, even over USB 2.0, July 22, 2012
First things first...I was provided a card reader by the manufacturer to review.

This card reader is 2.5 inches on each side, just under 0.5 inches thick (7/16" to be exact), and the cable is about 5 inches long. There is no software to install - just plug the card reader into a USB port. Windows 7 had no trouble recognizing the card reader.

I did some benchmarking with this card reader and an SD card, specifically a SanDisk Extreme 32GB SDHC Flash Memory Card (you can read my review of that card there). The SD card is normally installed in a Canon 60D; I used pictures on the card for the benchmarks. I only tested how fast I could read from the card reader...I rarely write to SD cards.

For the first test I moved 208 files (a 50/50 mix of raw and jpg) totaling 3.07 GB from the SD card to an SSD installed in my quad-core Windows 7 desktop. The Uspeed card reader was connected to a USB 3.0 PCI-E card unless otherwise noted. I did 3 runs for each configuration and averaged the results (all results for a given run were similar, no outliers).

- Uspeed card reader: 1 min 23 sec (37.0 MB/sec)
- Internal card reader: 4 min 5 sec (12.5 MB/sec)
- Uspeed card reader (using USB 2.0 port): 1 min 53 sec (27.2 MB/sec)

This last result really surprised me. The Uspeed card reader, plugged into a USB 2.0 port, was over twice as fast as the internal USB 2.0 card reader. I know the internal card reader is USB 2.0 because I assembled this computer myself using parts I bought. Just to confirm my results, I moved the Uspeed reader from a USB 2.0 port on the motherboard to the USB 2.0 port built into the internal card reader. The Uspeed card reader performed as well as it did when plugged directly into the motherboard. I don't want to think about all the time I've wasted transferring pictures using the internal card reader...

For the second test I created a single 3.99 GB file containing random data and copied the file to the SD card. I wanted to test the throughput of the card reader without the overhead of creating new files.

- Uspeed card reader: 1 min 36 sec (41.6 MB/sec)
- Internal card reader: 5 min 12 sec (10.7 MB/sec) - I have no idea why my internal reader is even slower with a single file
- Uspeed card reader (using USB 2.0 port): 2 min 6 sec (31.7 MB/sec)

I suspect I reached the maximum real-world speed (as opposed to the advertised "up to" speed) of the SD card with the card reader plugged into a USB 3.0 port. What surprised me is how fast the Uspeed card reader was when plugged into a USB 2.0 port. I know now that my internal card reader is a dog but I still would have expected a lower transfer speed.

The card reader has an LED on top - you can see it in the manufacturer's product pictures. The LED is green when the reader is plugged into a USB 3.0 port and red when plugged into a USB 2.0 port (amusingly, the product picture shows the reader plugged into a USB 2.0 port). I only had an SD card to test - the card goes in easily and feels secure when fully inserted.

Clearly this product is targeted at laptop users so my only complaint isn't really much of a complaint since I'm using the reader with a desktop computer. The slot labels (SD, CF, etc) are printed on the bottom of the reader. I'd love to attach this reader to the side of my desktop computer (once I buy an extension cable)...it's small, thin, and sleek. If I put double-sided tape on the bottom I won't be able to see the labels; if I put tape on the top so the labels show, well, the reader is just not as pretty on the bottom. Don't worry though, I'm sure I'll be able to overcome this trial...

I have no trouble recommending this USB 3.0 card reader - it performs great when plugged into a USB 3.0 or a USB 2.0 port.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 6, 2013 6:35 AM PST

Neo-Flex LCD Arm
Neo-Flex LCD Arm
Price: $67.75
54 used & new from $58.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid with attention to detail, June 28, 2012
I purchased this mounting arm to orient my second monitor (LG IPS235T 23-Inch Monitor) in portrait mode; the monitor's stand does not rotate like that. I was very impressed with how solid this arm is. It was easy to position the arm exactly how I wanted and to lock down the arm with the included wrenches. Attaching the monitor was easy with the thumbscrews - I didn't need a second person to hold the monitor while I used a screwdriver.

The arm mounts to a desk or shelf several different ways. This arm isn't limited to clamping on the edge of a desk; the clamp comes apart so the arm can be secured through a hole in the desk (such as a hole to route wiring through). I'm impressed with the thought that went into the design of this arm.

The instructions are reasonably clear, though it took me a minute to figure out how to get the arm to pivot up and down (press the joint itself).

This is a very sturdy arm - I would buy this product again.

LG IPS235T 23-Inch Widescreen 1080p LED LCD Monitor with IPS Panel
LG IPS235T 23-Inch Widescreen 1080p LED LCD Monitor with IPS Panel

5.0 out of 5 stars Great picture and range of viewing angles, June 28, 2012
I couldn't be more happy with this monitor. The picture is outstanding - the colors are accurate, black is nice and deep all with way to the edges. The screen is very bright even when brightness is set to less than 100% (100% is the default setting).

I'm using this monitor as a 2nd monitor - it uses 1/3 the power of the old LCD monitor it sits next to (33W vs 100W) yet is just as bright. There is an option in the settings to enable "Super Energy Saving" which further reduces power consumption by an additional 5W, but that mode has a noticable effect on image color so I leave it off (the default setting). If I was using this monitor mostly for viewing text then I probably wouldn't notice any difference.

In addition to using this as a second monitor I also have it oriented in portrait mode which is where an IPS monitor really pays off. This monitor has a viewing angle of 178º both horizonally and vertically allowing me to see the screen in any orientation...and I don't have to be sitting up straight in my chair either.

A word on portrait orientation: the monitor's stand is limited to landscape orientation but the monitor does have VESA mounting holes on the back. I purchased a mounting arm for my desk (Neo-Flex LCD Arm) to place and orient the monitor exactly where I wanted. I determined it was cheaper to get a really good monitor and mounting arm than to buy a really good monitor with a stand that allows the screen to rotate.

One nice detail - the monitor comes with the factory quality assurance report. I've never purchased a monitor or television that came with its QA report. I like knowing that the monitor was tested before leaving the factory and seeing the graphs showing how my monitor met specifications.

If you're looking for an excellent, affordable IPS monitor (without extra junk like speakers) then I highly recommend this monitor.

Storacell by Powerpax Slim Line "AAA" Battery Caddy, Yellow - Holds 6 "AAA" Batteries
Offered by NatureScapes Store
Price: $4.95
6 used & new from $4.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes the pain out of storing rechargeable batteries, and made in the US, January 1, 2012
I came back to buy more of these (I bought the orange ones) and while I'm here I figured I'd write a review.

With 3 kids we go through AA and AAA batteries quickly - even faster when you throw in my battery-hungry camera flash (Canon 580EX II. For years I've bought batteries in bulk at our local warehouse store, which is wasteful and expensive over time.

Now that rechargeable batteries no longer suck (the new low discharge Ni-MH batteries like the eneloop brand are great) I decided to make the switch from disposable batteries.

Battery storage was a concern - at least the bulk pack of disposables was its own battery holder. I didn't want a jumble of rechargeable batteries sitting around...it would be unsightly and I know my kids would throw discharged batteries in with the charged batteries.

I looked at every battery holder Amazon sells and settled on these. I needed storage only for AA and AAA batteries so wall-mount storage that holds a fixed number of every type of battery was not suitable. I don't think we even have anything that uses 'C' cells in the house. I didn't need a battery tester - I use the La Crosse Technology BC-700 battery charger which has a much more accurate meter than some cheap analog gauge. I also prefer to buy products made in the USA.

Batteries slide easily into these holders (I have both eneloop and Duracell rechargeable batteries) and lock securely in place. Since these caddies were originally designed for pilots it only takes one hand to pop the batteries out. The caddies stack well so they sit nicely on a shelf. I also purchased the Storacell 12 Pack AA Battery Caddy, which can stand up vertically.

I have no hesitation in recommending these caddies. They're surprisingly affordable and they couldn't be better designed. They're tough, too - we've already dropped full caddies with no damage to the caddies. The caddies are not indestructible, however. In my zeal for consumer testing I dropped a 12 battery caddy, fully loaded (the caddy, not me), from a height of about 8 feet onto a tile floor. It landed squarely on the end the batteries are loaded into and 3 of the battery holder tabs broke off.

As long as you're not a knucklehead like me, though, these are more than sturdy enough for everyday use and normal hazards. Now I'm off to buy another AA holder...and post this review over there too.

Storacell by Powerpax AA 12 Pack Battery Caddy, Orange - Holds 12 AA Batteries
Storacell by Powerpax AA 12 Pack Battery Caddy, Orange - Holds 12 AA Batteries
Offered by MYBATTERYSUPPLIER
Price: $6.95
5 used & new from $6.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes the pain out of storing rechargeable batteries, and made in the US, December 30, 2011
I purchased these with the Storacell Slim Line 6 "AAA" Battery Caddy - my review is essentially the same in both places. I'm buying more of these, too!

Batteries slide easily into these holders (I have both eneloop and Duracell rechargeable batteries) and lock securely in place. Since these caddies were originally designed for pilots it only takes one hand to pop the batteries out. The caddies stack well so they sit nicely on a shelf, and these stand up vertically.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18