Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Shop-by-Room Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro
Profile for Paul G. > Reviews

Browse

Paul G.'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 180

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Paul G. RSS Feed (Maryland)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Velleman PSSMV1USA 3-12Vdc Switching Power Supply
Velleman PSSMV1USA 3-12Vdc Switching Power Supply
Offered by Eio
Price: $14.99
4 used & new from $14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great if you switch tips often, March 6, 2016
This works fine and is a good choice if you're going to use it as a replacement for a lost power supply. However, it's not such a good choice if you need to switch tips. The connectors at the plug end get stuck in the socket at the end of the wire. The only way to remove the stuck connector is with pliers, and because the connector is hollow it gets flattened by the pliers which renders the connector, and thus that tip, useless.

Bentgo Ice Lunch Chillers - Ultra-thin Ice Packs (4 Pack - Green)
Bentgo Ice Lunch Chillers - Ultra-thin Ice Packs (4 Pack - Green)
Offered by SKUniverse
Price: $14.99
2 used & new from $7.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't even last a year, December 25, 2015
I used these daily along with these: http://amzn.com/B003FO2B5U A couple of these started leaking and I had to throw them out. The ice packs from Fit & Fresh are still going strong after over 4 years of near daily use (the kids and I all use ice packs in our lunches). Trust me, you don't want to deal with the liquid inside these ice packs...don't buy these.

Divine LEDs 25 Clear G40 Bulbs UL Listed Globe String Lights, 25-Feet, Green
Divine LEDs 25 Clear G40 Bulbs UL Listed Globe String Lights, 25-Feet, Green
Offered by Divine LEDs
Price: $66.00
2 used & new from $22.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded my expectations, December 17, 2015
Business first: I received these lights for free in exchange for an honest review. And I'm nothing if not honest so here we go...

These lights are great! I'm honestly surprised at how well they're made (sorry, Divine LEDs, but I really didn't expect much out of your string of lights). Here's why I like these lights:

- The glass is really tough. It has to be because once you take the string of lights out of the box the bulbs are going to bang together constantly until you've hung the string.
- The path of the filament is, well, charming if that makes any sense.
- The bulbs and bases stay cool to the touch.
- Works great with this dimmer: Lutron TT-300H-WH Electronics Plug-In Lamp Dimmer
- The whole string looks great and my kids love them.

I installed the lights around the top of a loft (picture attached) using these hooks: Command Decorating Clips, Clear. The hooks are invisible and the lights really make the loft cozy.

Others have complained about the energy draw of the lights. The power used by these lights wasn't unexpected: it's basically a string of 25 night lights. They're really nice looking, but night lights nonetheless. 25 bulbs x 5w each = 125w. While I love LEDs and have replaced all my incandescent bulbs with LEDs (and a few CFLs), I'm not going to worry about how much electricity these lights use. They're not on all the time, they provide ambiance, and the computer I'm using to write this review uses way more power than those lights (especially when playing a game), plus the computer is powered on longer than the lights each day.

And don't underestimate the value of ambiance...these lights are more convenient than taking out a bunch of candles and placing them around the bedroom when the kids are gone, if you know what I mean (and I think you do). As a public service, if you don't buy these lights but still want that sweet sweet ambiance, I recommend Set of 12 Purple Colored Glass Votive Candle Holders and Votive Candles White Unscented 10 Hour Burn Set of 72. No, I didn't get those for free and no, you don't have to thank me...just have fun.
Comment Comment | Permalink

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Adds a lot of color, October 16, 2015
This really is a beautiful shower curtain, a nice change from the blue plastic police box shower curtain I had before. The scene is supposed to be done in an impressionistic style so the writing on the box is not legible...it wouldn't fit the scene if it was. The shower curtain appears well made with metal grommets for the rings (which are included). I'm using a shower curtain liner with this curtain so I don't have to tuck it in the tub. Delivery was faster than expected - it took 14 days for the shower curtain to arrive from China.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Kia Motors Front Drive Sunglasses Case For 2010 2011 2012 2013 Kia Soul
Kia Motors Front Drive Sunglasses Case For 2010 2011 2012 2013 Kia Soul
Offered by Good Forum
Price: $17.45
3 used & new from $17.45

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for every Kia Soul, February 4, 2014
I don't know why this doesn't come standard on every Kia Soul. I've never understood why there's an "oh s***" handle on the driver's side...even if my car had an automatic transmission I've got the steering wheel to hang on to. This little flip down sunglasses holder is much better use of the spot above the driver's door.

As a factory item should this case fits perfectly and is easy to install...just remove the bolts securing the handle and screw this case in. The screws are attached to the case with thin retaining nuts which is a nice touch...no dropped parts! The whole operation took about 5 minutes. Be sure to push the case all the way into the holes in the headliner - it's a snug fit (which eliminates rattles) and the screws won't reach unless the case is properly positioned.

The case itself has padding inside to protect the sunglasses. It locks open and gently closes - it doesn't snap shut. If you have oversized sunglasses (think Sally Jessy Raphael glasses) the case will probably be too small but it works fine for standard-sized glasses. The sunglasses are held securely in place. They don't rattle around in the case and the case itself doesn't make noise when empty.

This case is well-designed and well-built, and a bargain for the price. If you've got a suitable Kia Soul you should order this case.

Note: I have a 2011 Kia Soul. Delivery from S. Korea took 3 weeks to the east coast of the U.S.

The Quick and the Dead (Original Mix)
The Quick and the Dead (Original Mix)
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great song...just had to buy it, January 14, 2014
I first heard this song on a dance video (search for "time control dubstep") - after watching the video a few times the song was stuck in my head. I mean that in a good way, not like when you get "Muskrat Love" or "Last Christmas" stuck in your head. Rather than listen to the random snippets of the song my brain manages to come up with I figured I'd buy the song and listen to the whole thing...plus it's cool to support the artist. Listen to the sample here or the whole thing online, then come back to Amazon and drop a buck on it...it's worth it.

Kikkerland The Gentleman's Shower Curtain, 72-Inch by 72-Inch
Kikkerland The Gentleman's Shower Curtain, 72-Inch by 72-Inch

3.0 out of 5 stars Typos mar an otherwise great curtain, October 31, 2013
I didn't notice the misspellings on the curtain when I ordered it so if you're picky (pedantic?) you may want to reconsider this curtain. "Franz Josef" is misspelled, "Wellsian" should be "Wellesian", "Long Shoreman" is one word, and by "Damian" they probably meant "Damien" (though I don't remember the kid having a beard).

It would have been nice if the holes for the rings were reinforced with metal grommets. Like other vinyl shower curtains, there's a strong smell when the curtain is first removed from the package.

Still, it's a cool shower curtain, definitely different! Maybe in the next printing, in addition to fixing the typos they can add in the "Maynard G. Krebs" and the "Svengali".

Carry on Wayward Son
Carry on Wayward Son
Price: $1.29

5.0 out of 5 stars I still get chills, February 24, 2013
This review is from: Carry on Wayward Son (MP3 Music)
I've heard this song countless times but when the vocals start after the minute-long intro I still get chills. At the risk of sounding like a real old guy...most of the music out today isn't even in the same league as this (at least the Foo Fighters still crank out great rock and roll).

StarTech 6-Feet SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Extension Cable A to A - M/F (USB3SEXTAA6)
StarTech 6-Feet SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Extension Cable A to A - M/F (USB3SEXTAA6)
Price: $8.50
132 used & new from $5.62

4.0 out of 5 stars It works, July 28, 2012
What can I say about this? It's an extension cable and it works. I have a USB 3.0 card installed in my desktop computer and a portable USB 3.0 card reader with a very short cable (because it's more of a laptop product). This cable works just as it should - my card reader still operates at USB 3.0 speeds and I no longer have to reach under the desk to insert or remove SD cards. I like that the cable color is "USB 3.0 blue" to differentiate it from all the black USB 2.0 cables I have around.

The exposed metal at the female end keeps this from being a 5 star extension cable. I have a USB 2.0 extension cable (AmazonBasics USB 2.0 Extension Cable) and the female end is encased in plastic. I know that there's not a lot of power running through the cable but I taped the card reader to my desk in such a way that the exposed metal connection isn't near any metal parts, just in case.

This is a good, basic USB 3.0 extension cable at a fair price. I'd buy it again.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 6, 2013 6:33 AM PST

Anker® USB 3.0 Multi-in-1 Card Reader 4-Slots for SDXC, SDHC, SD, CF, High-Speed CF (UDMA), MS, M2, Micro SDXC, Micro SDHC, Micro SD Cards [Support UHS-I Cards]

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, even over USB 2.0, July 22, 2012
First things first...I was provided a card reader by the manufacturer to review.

This card reader is 2.5 inches on each side, just under 0.5 inches thick (7/16" to be exact), and the cable is about 5 inches long. There is no software to install - just plug the card reader into a USB port. Windows 7 had no trouble recognizing the card reader.

I did some benchmarking with this card reader and an SD card, specifically a SanDisk Extreme 32GB SDHC Flash Memory Card (you can read my review of that card there). The SD card is normally installed in a Canon 60D; I used pictures on the card for the benchmarks. I only tested how fast I could read from the card reader...I rarely write to SD cards.

For the first test I moved 208 files (a 50/50 mix of raw and jpg) totaling 3.07 GB from the SD card to an SSD installed in my quad-core Windows 7 desktop. The Uspeed card reader was connected to a USB 3.0 PCI-E card unless otherwise noted. I did 3 runs for each configuration and averaged the results (all results for a given run were similar, no outliers).

- Uspeed card reader: 1 min 23 sec (37.0 MB/sec)
- Internal card reader: 4 min 5 sec (12.5 MB/sec)
- Uspeed card reader (using USB 2.0 port): 1 min 53 sec (27.2 MB/sec)

This last result really surprised me. The Uspeed card reader, plugged into a USB 2.0 port, was over twice as fast as the internal USB 2.0 card reader. I know the internal card reader is USB 2.0 because I assembled this computer myself using parts I bought. Just to confirm my results, I moved the Uspeed reader from a USB 2.0 port on the motherboard to the USB 2.0 port built into the internal card reader. The Uspeed card reader performed as well as it did when plugged directly into the motherboard. I don't want to think about all the time I've wasted transferring pictures using the internal card reader...

For the second test I created a single 3.99 GB file containing random data and copied the file to the SD card. I wanted to test the throughput of the card reader without the overhead of creating new files.

- Uspeed card reader: 1 min 36 sec (41.6 MB/sec)
- Internal card reader: 5 min 12 sec (10.7 MB/sec) - I have no idea why my internal reader is even slower with a single file
- Uspeed card reader (using USB 2.0 port): 2 min 6 sec (31.7 MB/sec)

I suspect I reached the maximum real-world speed (as opposed to the advertised "up to" speed) of the SD card with the card reader plugged into a USB 3.0 port. What surprised me is how fast the Uspeed card reader was when plugged into a USB 2.0 port. I know now that my internal card reader is a dog but I still would have expected a lower transfer speed.

The card reader has an LED on top - you can see it in the manufacturer's product pictures. The LED is green when the reader is plugged into a USB 3.0 port and red when plugged into a USB 2.0 port (amusingly, the product picture shows the reader plugged into a USB 2.0 port). I only had an SD card to test - the card goes in easily and feels secure when fully inserted.

Clearly this product is targeted at laptop users so my only complaint isn't really much of a complaint since I'm using the reader with a desktop computer. The slot labels (SD, CF, etc) are printed on the bottom of the reader. I'd love to attach this reader to the side of my desktop computer (once I buy an extension cable)...it's small, thin, and sleek. If I put double-sided tape on the bottom I won't be able to see the labels; if I put tape on the top so the labels show, well, the reader is just not as pretty on the bottom. Don't worry though, I'm sure I'll be able to overcome this trial...

I have no trouble recommending this USB 3.0 card reader - it performs great when plugged into a USB 3.0 or a USB 2.0 port.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 6, 2013 6:35 AM PST