Profile for AUTUMN28 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 35

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

AUTUMN28 RSS Feed (PENNSYLVANIA, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
International Classic 15 Piece Cutlery Block Set
International Classic 15 Piece Cutlery Block Set
2 used & new from $349.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds cliche - but it's true, YOU'LL NEVER USE ANOTHER KNIFE, January 8, 2014
I’ve been searching for YEARS for a knife that truly stands up to the test of time. I’m sure we’ve all been there, right? We think we’ve found the best knife only to hate the darn thing two years later. You search and buy another brand and same thing happens, you hate it. It doesn’t stay sharp, it sharpens like crap, and it just plain doesn’t look good, feel good or do the job anymore. The cycle seems never ending and now you have a kitchen drawer full of knives that you never use but don’t really want to throw out or donate.

The cycle has ended! Search no more!! Three years ago I bought a full set of Henckels International Classic (15 pc Cutlery Block Set) kitchen knives, complete with steak knives and sharpener. I’ve never been more impressed. The cutting edge stays put. The knives fit well in my hand and get the job done with ease.

My favorite? The 5-inch Hollow Edge Santoku knife. It’s not as large as the 8-inch Chef’s Knife, but my feminine hands have more control over it and I can cut up veggies or meat fairly quick with it. It’s my number one go-to knife, which is why I bought a second set (J.A. Henckels International Classic Forges Hollow-Edge Stainless-Steel 2-Piece Knife Set). Now I have two!! One for meat, one for veggies, for the same meal prep.

I love these knives so much that I put my mother AND my mother-in-law out of their knife-misery and bought them each a set for Christmas!!

**I want to clarify that EACH type of Henckel knife is DIFFERENT. The CLASSIC is my favorite for the look, the balance, its longevity and performance. I have gone to department stores that carry Henckel knives and tried other Henckel types. I didn’t care for them. They felt like cheap plastic and didn’t balance well in my hand. I don’t know about their longevity and how well they perform, but the cheap feel of them really turned me off. Try to search and buy only Henckels International Classic.**
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 2, 2014 6:44 AM PST

J.A. Henckels International Classic Forged Hollow-Edge Stainless-Steel 2-Piece Knife Set
Offered by BigKitchen
Price: $58.78
17 used & new from $54.99

Exo Terra Riverbed Sand, 10-Pound, Brown
Exo Terra Riverbed Sand, 10-Pound, Brown
Price: $14.63
4 used & new from $14.42

5.0 out of 5 stars My hermit crabs LOVE this sand, January 8, 2014
I was leery when choosing sand because I read that most sand actually harms the crabs by cutting them. This is NATURAL river sand that I've been using in my terrarium for over a year now. I clean out and refresh the sand in my tank every 4 months. My crabs just love it! They tunnel and play in it. I initially spray the sand with warm water (bottled) until the top is moderately wet. That moisture coupled with the Zoo Med ReptiTherm® Under Tank Heater really provide a nice environment. My crabs have molted several times. Just make sure to watch the humidity levels (too high and too low actually cause the crabs pain and sometimes death).

67MM Reversible Flower Lens Hood (2013 Update) + Premium MagicFiber Microfiber Cleaning Cloth
Price: $5.99
4 used & new from $3.42

3.0 out of 5 stars Tricky to put on/take off - read fine print..., January 8, 2014
Let me start by saying that this product DOES work but it’s tricky to put on and take off your camera.

I almost returned the item stating that the product wasn’t as described or pictured. The product was delivered with the base and ring screwed onto it on the opposite side than what was pictured on Amazon, which made it look like a different product right out the box.

There were no instructions included with the product so I had to come back to Amazon’s site to “read” the instructions on the product’s pictures. That’s how I discovered why my product looked different. The picture instructions DO NOT mention a ring that needs to be removed, only about a base that needs to be unscrewed from the hood and screwed directly to your camera’s lens.

It took several attempts to get the base from the hood to thread correctly onto my Canon Rebel T3i 67mm lens. It took considerably longer to get the ring to thread correctly to the base. There is little room for error. Patience is key here.

I guess once these two are screwed onto your lens you can keep them there for the long haul regardless if you use the hood or not, but I do find that I can see a little of the base in my wide shots (I’m not talking about the hood, this is with the hood removed & base/ring on my lens only). I mention this because it IS so difficult to quickly (or even at moderate speed to) add the base/ring to your lens if you did remove it and only want to use your hood during quick sunny outdoor shots.

I also bought this because of the advertised reversible feature. While it’s true that it’s reversible, it’s still very cumbersome to attach to the lens (regardless of being used as a hood or stored in reverse). The hood fits into a slot just right and then you turn it a quarter turn to lock it onto the base. Just like the threading issue, the positioning of product onto the locking base has to be just right in order to turn it AND keep the hood on your camera, otherwise the hood actually falls off. Again, if you‘re in a hurry this wouldn’t be advisable. I think I will just stick the hood in my bag rather than using it in reverse. At lease it will save me half the hassle.

As per other reviews, the hood has two shorter sides and two opposite longer sides. Make sure the longer sides are positioned at the top and bottom of your lens rather than at the sides or you will see it in your widest shots. As with seeing the base/ring in my shots I found that I didn’t have to zoom in that much to get rid of the hood in my shot.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic wallet purse - functions well, looks good, no issues..., January 8, 2014
I was leery after reading multiple reviews stating that the stitching may be careless, the snap closure difficult to close, and the credit card slots being too small to hold cards. I am happy to report that none of these problems apply to the product that I received. The wallet purse is beautiful. I have no stitching issues, the gold snap is secure, and I can fit my license and credit cards in each slot with ease. The cards aren’t jammed in, either. Truly, there is definitely room for your cards in here.

I bought the white leather wallet purse, and as previously reviewed, the color isn’t exactly white. It’s more like a light cream, but it’s still very nice.

The wallet comes with a strap that isn’t attached to the wallet. I found it difficult to put it on because the hole on the wallet isn’t close enough to the edge of the wallet to allow the strap to easily clip on. Even with this minor annoyance it doesn’t change my 5-star rating. Sometimes when you buy cheap you get what you pay for, but in the case I made a good buy (and you will, too, if you’re researching this item for future orders).

Sally Hansen Salon Insta Gel Strips, Pinkies Up , 16 Polish Strips
Sally Hansen Salon Insta Gel Strips, Pinkies Up , 16 Polish Strips
Offered by LA Wholesale Cosmetics
Price: $3.50
25 used & new from $0.52

1.0 out of 5 stars DOESN'T LAST, CHIPPED IN ONLY 48 HOURS, March 20, 2013
First, some background on me. I've been using Harmony's Gelish and OPI nail gel polish for a year now. I love that they don't chip for over 2 weeks and most times I change the color because they've grown out rather than because of chipping issues. I thought Sally Hansen's Insta Gel Strips would cut down on the application time of regular gel polishes so I decided to try it.

Here's my review:
Pros:
1. Nice color choices, including patterns that I can't create with regular gel polish.

2. As easily removable as regular nail gel polish.

Cons:
1. These strips DO NOT LAST 2 WEEKS. My box said I would get 10 days of chip-free wear. Again, I'm experienced in applying and sealing gel nails and usually go almost 3 weeks without needing a polish change. I carefully applied and sealed these strips, didn't do excessive dish washing or anything that would promote chipping, and 3 of my nails chipped in less than 48 hours after applying them. By the end of the 5th day 5 of my 10 nails were chipped.

2. The size of the strips: one package contains 16 strips, 2 each of 8 sizes of strips. Of these 16 strips the smallest ones were too tiny for my pinkie and the next size up was a huge size up (rather than slight). I have medium-sized hands, not petite or large. I ended up having to trim two larger strips to fit the sides of my pinkies. I also had to trim two more strips to fit the sides of my middle fingers since those strips were too large.

3. The shape of the strips: the strips themselves are shaped different on each end, one end is square-ish while the other is more oval, so you can use the end that best fits the natural shape of the cuticle end of each of your nails. While some might think this is a Pro, rather than a Con, the problem is that the strip tapers in shape. So if you have chosen the square-ish end for a longer nail the strip narrows (tapers) toward the end of your nail leaving your natural nail showing on both sides.

4. The time involved in choosing appropriately sized strips for each nail and trimming each to "fit" takes longer than just brushing on gel polish from a bottle.

5. Per Sally Hansen's instructions, you have to stretch the gel strip as you apply it to your natural nail so it will curve to your nail (kind of like a plastic cling wrap idea) but you have to be extremely careful to not stretch it too hard or it will rip in the wrong place. Yes, you are supposed to rip the end of the strip off on the tip of your nail, but doing so without tearing in the wrong spot proves difficult. I used the Pinkies Up pink sparkle strips so I was able to "mend" the rips with additional pieces of discarded strips without anyone noticing my mistakes. I believe this wouldn't be fixable if you were using a patterned or solid colored strip.

6. The price: Again, you get 16 strips, enough for one manicure. At $13 a box I get more bang for my buck with a $15 bottle of gel polish that I can use many, many more times.

OVERALL: I wasted $12.99 on trying these strips. I would NOT recommend these Sally Hansen's Insta Gel Strips. They need to go back to R&D and come up with a better executed product. Stick with Harmony's Gelish or OPI's nail gel polish.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2014 1:30 PM PST

Olay Age Defying Instant Hydration Serum 1.7 Fl Oz
Olay Age Defying Instant Hydration Serum 1.7 Fl Oz
Offered by iSpotBeauty
Price: $11.49
9 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars By far, the BEST lotion I've ever used for winter facial dryness!, January 5, 2013
I've used many lotions made by many manufacturers throughout the years. My 30-something year old face is prone to breakouts and has an oily T-zone. During the winter months in Pennsylvania my skin gets dry. I've tried several lotions from heavy to light wear, medicated to not, sunscreen to none, etc. This is by far, the BEST lotion I've ever used on my face. I've been wearing it for over 2 months now and apply it morning and night. It is not greasy and absorbs quickly but not too quickly that you feel like you never applied anything. It doesn't leave your skin shiny.

I got a nasty cold this winter and typical to nasal issues my nose and surrounding area started to get red, irritated and dry. I applied this lotion just slightly thicker than I was using and within ONE day my nose was back to normal color, no peeling or irritation.

Wondering about the small size of the bottle? The size of the bottle was daunting when looking at the price but in actuality it took me over 2 months to use the bottle. I applied a SMALL pea-size of lotion to most of my face every morning and evening, making sure to include under my eyes, my T-zone, and my jaw line.

I highly recommend this product. (Note: I use Olay Regenerist Pore Scrub in the evening and Olay Regenerist Thermal Mini-Peel in the morning as part of my daily facial routine in addition to using this lotion.)

Moshi iVisor Screen Protector XT (Crystal Clear) for iPad Mini & iPad Mini Retina (White, iPad Mini)
Offered by BrandsWalk
Price: $25.57
12 used & new from $23.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Super easy to apply, is washable, too., January 5, 2013
I've been using this product heavily for a week now. It was super easy to apply to my iPad Mini. My iPad tracks my finger and stylus movements perfectly. I haven't noticed excessive finger smudging or stylus scratching. The packaging says it's washable and can be used multiple times. I have not needed to remove or wash it yet so I can't attest to that. This product is crystal clear which sometimes makes it hard to read the screen in bright light but the manufacturer sells a similar product with an anti-glare protective cover. Make sure you know which one you want before ordering. The manufacturer does suggest keeping the product packaging to store your protective cover in while switching between clear and anti-glare covers. I definitely recommend this product.

Design Ideas Brocade Letter Holder, Black
Design Ideas Brocade Letter Holder, Black
Price: $17.35
3 used & new from $16.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Durable metal letter holder, January 5, 2013
Item is as described. I found this letter holder to be made of durable metal and assembled well. One of the "slots" was warped a little but slight tweaking of the metal slot straightened it right out. It'a a sophisticated pattern and works well for holding receipts, bills, etc.

BELL HORN BRACE YOURSELF FOR ACTION BYFA SUPPORT GLOVE 99340 MED
BELL HORN BRACE YOURSELF FOR ACTION BYFA SUPPORT GLOVE 99340 MED
Offered by Marble Med Supplies
Price: $9.64
2 used & new from $9.64

1.0 out of 5 stars Sizing info is wrong, works as poorly as wearing a sock on your hand., January 5, 2013
There was no product description on Amazon.com's website for this product at the time of my purchase. I found the info on other retailer websites as follows:
Features:
*Support gloves
*Silky smooth and breathable
*Allow you to wear them all day and hardly remember they are there
*Come with compression strap that applies the gentle pressure you need for added support
*Useful for arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome
*Use for aching wrists or hands as well as minor injuries
*Measurement is circumference around the top of the palm around the knuckles
*Small: Fits palm 6.5'' - 7.5''
*Medium: Fits palm 7.5'' - 8.5''
*Large: Fits palm 8.5'' - 9.5''
*Extra large: Fits palm 9.5'' - 10.5''

My palm measures 7.75" so I bought the medium pair. It's so loose there is no compression and it's like wearing a sock on my hand with a velcro strap around my wrist. This is of no use to me, therapeutic nor preventative. Instead, I bought and use Futuro's Custom Fit Wrist Stabilizer for my tendonitis/carpel tunnel issues and it works wonders.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4