Profile for Steward Willons > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 788

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Steward Willons RSS Feed (Iowa)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
iGearPro 16GB USB Flash Drive Digital Audio Voice Recorder - Rechargeable Mini Hidden Pen Drive - 1 Year Warranty
Offered by Histore
Price: $25.99
3 used & new from $22.35

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for surreptitiously recording speech, December 27, 2014
This is a very serviceable voice recorder that is lightweight and easy to use. With a variety of bit rates to choose from, you can record up to 100 hours on the 16gig version. If you’re a student, that translates into something like 2 entire classes (assuming they include three lecture hours per week over a 15-week semester). It’s very convenient, and I particularly like the design because it’s not obvious that it’s a voice recorder. It’s great for making surreptitious recordings.

It’s not exactly heavy-duty. The plastic casing is lightweight, although I would guess that the internal electronics (the mic and things) would break before the casing wears out. It’s very functional, although I wouldn’t expect it to last forever.

Audio quality is one of the important things to consider when looking for a recorder. This is very adequate for voices. I wouldn’t use it for music, or for anything loud. If you want to sneak a recorder into a concert, look for something else. Ditto for anyone wanting to record themselves in a musical capacity. This is marketed as a voice recorder, and that’s where it excels. Overall, it’s a decent device.

OXO Good Grips Silicone Drain Protector for Pop-Up & Regular Drains
OXO Good Grips Silicone Drain Protector for Pop-Up & Regular Drains
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for me!, December 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This worked great for me, but a survey of the reviews here will show you that your results can vary pretty widely. It seems to depend on your drain, your water pressure, the type of hair you’re trying to filter, and other variables. The bottom of my tub/shower is curved gently, but since this drain protector is weighted, I can it to make good contact around the drain area. I suppose it slows the water drainage a bit, and if I stay in the shower more than 8 minutes, water will start to pool. For me, this isn’t a big deal. I’m not one to be bothered by a bit of standing water in the tub.

It’s made of heavy silicone and feels substantial enough to stand up to daily use. It’s also fairly easy to clean. Oxo doesn’t really specify, but I put this in the top rack of my dishwasher and it was fine. Oxo kitchen stuff is usually pretty rugged.

If you shed hair uncontrollably in the shower, perhaps you will end up clogging this drain protector, but if you simply lose a normal amount of hair, you shouldn’t notice any reduction in flow. Overall, I think it’s a good product.

Aduro SHATTERGUARDZ Premium Tempered Glass High Clarity Screen Protector for Apple iPhone 5 / 5S / 5C
Offered by Entronik
Price: $25.99
8 used & new from $7.61

4.0 out of 5 stars Works for me, December 22, 2014
This is an interesting screen protector because unlike most that are plastic, this is actually glass. I’m unwilling to drop my phone just to see if this keeps it from shattering, and having never dropped a smart phone in my seven-year history of using them, I doubt it’s going to happen soon (although one never knows!). BUT, this appears to be a very well made screen protector, and I expect that it will protect my phone if I drop it for some reason.

Mpow® Swift Bluetooth 4.0 Wireless Stereo Sweatproof Jogger, Running, Sport Headphones Earbuds with AptX,Mic Hands-free Calling for iphone 6, 6 Plus, 5 5c 5s 4s ipad, LG G2, Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 S3 Note 3 and Other Android Cell Phones
Offered by Patozon
Price: $35.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible value - great for working out, December 22, 2014
Interestingly, just as Beats by Dr. Dre is introducing their wireless, bluetooth, workout-friendly earbuds, it appears that Mpow has already rushed a Chinese knock-off (I assume it’s Chinese) to market. Is this a problem? No way! Beats headphones are legendary for being overpriced and underwhelming. The best thing about Beats is that they are a status symbol. If you need to flaunt your wealth (or your willingness to waste money on inferior earbuds), spend $170 on the Beats model. If you just want a good set of wireless, bluetooth, workout-friendly earbuds, get these.

These are adequate in every way. The sound quality isn’t amazing, but what do you expect for $35? For the money, I think they sound fine. They aren’t fancy, but they work well. Pairing is easy, and they repair automatically when you turn them on.

A couple design issues that aren’t great: First, don’t expect to use any advanced features with these. The lone up-down button is small and hard to press unless you have tiny fingers. It’s impossible to adjust the volume without dislodging the earbud from your ear canal. I don’t even want to think about having to hold the buttons for varying amounts of time to, say, skip tracks. Answering a call is easier, but again, you’re going to dislodge it from your ear if you press the main button. The Beats model has the controls located on the chord part of the pair, which makes it much easier to operate. Again, this is a $35 pair of earbuds. I’m not really complaining. Just pointing out a weak point.

Second, getting a proper fit is crucial, but it can be difficult. With earphones that you insert into your ear canal, you *must* get a proper seal or you won’t get any bass response at all. Normally, this isn’t too much to ask because canal-phones are so small. These have a larger body, so it’s harder to work them around such that they fit into your ear perfectly. There are three different ear tip sizes and an array of spacing pieces that can help. You will probably find a combo that works for you, but it will take experimentation.

Also, it doesn’t help that the picture in the listing is actually backwards. From the orientation of the earpieces, the loop goes in the opposite direction. I could not figure out why I couldn’t get these to stay in my ear canals. It was extremely annoying. Then I realized the diagram is just completely wrong. The manual was no help in figuring this out either. I emailed a costumer service rep about it, but by the time someone eventually got back to me (days later), I had already figured out that the picture is backwards. Again, they’re so cheap that I can forgive all of this. I’m only writing it to save you time if you buy these.

There are some downsides to using canal phones when working out, and it doesn’t matter if you pay hundreds of dollars or thirty-five dollars. When something makes a seal in your ear canal, the vibrations of the cable—microphonics—are amplified. As the cable rubs against your shirt or bounces off you while you’re in motion, you’re going to hear it. This is an immediate deal-breaker to some. You can take steps to minimize it, but it will never go away. It’s just a matter of physics.

I recommend sticking the part of the cable that loops behind your head into your shirt. If the cable is free to bounce off the back of your neck, you’ll hear a thump with every move you make. Your shirt will provide just enough weight to keep the cable from jostling too much. You will hear microphonics, but they will be minimized this way.

Finally, be warned that canal phones will become fatiguing faster than conventional earbuds. It’s weird to have something sealing up your ear, and if you do a two or three hour workout, you can’t wait to take them off. I like these better on my short days when it’s just 60-90 minutes, but they aren’t bad for the longer days, provided you keep the volume reasonably low.

To summarize, these Mpow earphones are a great value. They are functional and they sound just fine. There are downsides to this design, but it has nothing to do with these specific earphones. It’s just the nature of in-ear earphones. At $35 though, why not take a chance? I really like them for working out, and they’re extremely convenient.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2014 2:57 PM PST

GreatCall Touch3 Simple and Easy to Use Senior Cell Phone with 1-Touch Medical Alert SOS Button, Large Display
Price: $149.00
2 used & new from $126.33

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine, but there are other, cheaper ways to get a simplified smartphone., December 21, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I’m not totally sure how to review this phone. Sure, you might pay $150 for a smartphone, and that’s fine. This is basically a Samsung phone preloaded with a simplified launcher (an app designed to help you find and run different apps easier). As a simplified launcher, it works just fine. The thing that I think a lot of people won’t realize is that there are already plenty of launcher apps that do the exact same thing for free, or for the low price of an app download.

I can see people thinking that this would be a great product for their elderly parents or something, and it probably would be. BUT, you can also get *any* Android phone, download a launcher, and use which ever carrier you prefer. There are many different options available. Some launchers are complicated and designed to help power-users get the most out of their phones, but plenty are designed with this exact purpose in mind: to help simplify your phone experience.

I think the major downside to this device is that you have to deal with GreatCall - a carrier I’ve never heard of before. Who knows; they might be great. Having used it for a while for evaluation purposes, I don’t have any real complaints. But, if I really wanted a get my elderly grandmother set up with a cell phone, I would rather put her on my already-existing plan and deal with only one company. It’s so much simpler in terms of billing, plus it would probably end up being a lot cheaper to just add a line.

This phone does offer some interesting features associated with the GreatCall service. For instance, you get access to a hotline where you can talk to a registered nurse. Perhaps this is cool, but it’s equally easy to program in the number of your already-existing care provider. The MedCoach app is speciously valuable. In theory, it’s a cool app to help you keep track of your health. The thing is, if you’re so inept with technology that you need a simplified phone, you’re not going to figure out an app like this.

The phone itself is totally fine. It’s a decent Samsung phone. If you exit the launcher, you can operate it like a basic Android phone. It’s not a high-powered phone, but it fulfills all the basic functionality that you would want. Call clarity is fine. I don’t see any compelling reason to by *this* phone over a different Android phone with a simplified launcher installed.

Overall, I can’t really recommend this phone. It does succeed in offering a simplified operational experience, and the hardware itself is fine; however, I think it would be much cheaper and much simpler to simply add another line to your existing plan, buy whatever Android phone you want, and install your own launcher app.

The only reason not to do this (that I can think of) is if you are buying this for yourself because your technological aptitude is lacking. In that case, this is a great option. It is easy to get up and running, and since you probably don’t already have a wireless provider, you won’t mind signing up with GreatCall. Again though, if you have some more technologically savvy family members who wouldn’t mind putting you on their plan, you could potentially save money that way.

AYL® Silicone Heat Resistant Grilling BBQ Gloves Set: #1 Best Value ★ Perfect For Use As Cooking Gloves, Baking, Smoking, Or Potholder ★ For Use on Hot Food in High Temperature In The Kitchen, Use As Grilling Gloves, Oven Gloves, Or Even Camping! ★ Protect Your Hands And Avoid Accidents With Insulated Waterproof Five Fingered Grip ★ Far More Protection And Easier to Use Than Oven Mittens!
Offered by Accessorise Your Life
Price: $54.99
2 used & new from $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent as an oven-mitt replacement, December 20, 2014
These are a decent pair of heat-resistant gloves, although I have a few issues with them. First the good: they are really easy to clean because you can just wash them in the sink like you’d wash your hands. They also give you a reasonable amount of finger flexibility, although your manual dexterity will decease substantially, as one would expect when wearing heavy, large silicone gloves.

The downside is that their heat rating isn’t as high as certain other gloves. These are safe up to 425 degrees fahrenheit, so they’re appropriate for many applications, but if you’re cooking something on a grill at 500-600 degrees, these aren’t what you want.

Another downside is that the gloves aren’t all that long. I’d like more forearm protection for something like this. Another 4-6 inches would allow me to reach all the way to the back of my grill. It’s not a deal-breaker, but it would have been nice.

Overall, these are decent, and the price is reasonable. If you want a higher heat rating, you’ll have to spend about $10 more. If you’re looking for something that is a step above an oven mitt, these will do the trick.

#1 Oven Gloves - Perfect Grill Gloves - Withstand Heat up to 662°F - Great for Oven Mitts, Pot Holders or Cooking Gloves - Premium Quality Heat Resistant Gloves for Kitchen, Barbecue, Grill and more - Your Safeguard Against Extreme Heat
Offered by The Perf3ct Shop
Price: $27.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Go head; stick your hands in open flames!, December 20, 2014
I now own three pairs of grilling gloves, and these are unique insofar as their max heat rating is way higher than the others. A lot of gloves are rated up to 425 degrees fahrenheit, but these are rated up to a blistering 662 degrees! That’s insane. You can even stick your hand in an open flame. Seriously - - it says that on the package.

They are very well made. My other two pairs are just heavy silicone, but these use a nomex inner layer and a kevlar outer layer. Kevlar AND nomex built into the same pair of gloves? Again, it’s insane.

The downside is that you can’t just stick these under running water to clean them. My silicone gloves are simple because I can squirt some soap on them and then wash them in the sink, like I’m washing my hands. These, on the other hand, need to go in the washing machine. Well, at least you *can* put them in the washing machine, and it’s not like you’re going to use these every day I suppose.

Overall, these are the most heat-resistant grilling gloves I’ve ever seen, and if you’re dealing with super-high heat cooking situations, this is what you want to buy. If you’re wanting to flip a rack of ribs cooking for a long time at a lower temperature, you can make do with a cheaper silicone pair. But, when you’re ready for something better, get these.

GIANT STEPS (DELUXE) [Vinyl]
GIANT STEPS (DELUXE) [Vinyl]
Price: $18.36
14 used & new from $18.36

5.0 out of 5 stars A review of the Rhino vinyl reissue, December 20, 2014
Obviously, this is a five-star album, and because it’s a widely-acknowledged classic, I’m not even going to talk about the music. The reason I’m writing this review is to review the new Rhino vinyl re-release. I think it’s important to talk about the pressing, because there is such a variety. A lot of vinyl reissues are of inferior quality because they’re cut from a CD and have not been mastered specifically for the vinyl format. If you buy a classic jazz album from any no-name or European knock-off label, this is probably what you’re getting. They’re all pressed on 180-gram vinyl, but this is meaningless if it’s just a vinyl version of the sound of a CD. Thankfully, that isn’t the case here.

You’re in good shape if the LP describes the circumstances of its production, which this one does. This reissue by Rhino was mastered from the original analogue tapes, and the sticker on the LP even gives you the names of the mastering engineer and the producer (although I threw it away with the packaging and can’t recall the names at this time). Basically, you’re getting a quality product that was produced in the way all LPs should be produced.

The sound is phenomenal. I’ve been on a Coltrane kick lately (well, for the last fifteen years, I guess), and I’ve been listening to a lot of Coltrane on vinyl now that the Atlantic and Impulse recordings are getting reissued. The Impulse reissues sound great, but when I put on this pressing of Giant Steps, I was blown away. The sax and bass sound particularly great. Coltrane is in the foreground with remarkable clarity. The bass is very distinct and easy to hear. It gives a feeling of depth that I don’t always get in jazz LP reissues.

The only bad thing is the piano sound, but as I recall, this is a problem with the initial recording and sounds bad on every version. The piano sounds muted, like someone placed a heavy blanket over the entire instrument. The high end of the piano sound is just gone. This isn’t a huge deal for me though. The piano sound on my CD isn’t any different.

Overall, I highly, highly recommend this reissue. It’s a wonderful album, and it has received the treatment that it deserves. If you want an LP to show off your stereo, this is a great one to choose. Short of paying $50-60 for a 45-rpm audiophile pressing on 200-gram vinyl, this is one of the best sounding classic jazz album I’ve heard.

OXO Foldaway Dish Rack
OXO Foldaway Dish Rack
Offered by The Kitchen Clique
Price: $39.99
4 used & new from $39.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but can't justify costing more than its competition., December 20, 2014
This review is from: OXO Foldaway Dish Rack (Misc.)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Foldaway dish racks can be a real help when space is limited. Having lived in a tiny apartment with fewer than three feet of counter space (seriously), this sort of thing is a life-saver. This OXO model has some good features, but it’s also quite expensive compared to its competition, it doesn’t become significantly more compact when folded up, and most everything is made of plastic, which gives me concerns about its longevity.

There are some good features. It gives you a lot of space for various items. It also has a nice drainage feature so that you don’t get standing water in the base. The plastic body feels substantial, and I’m never worried that it’s going to fall apart and drop my dishes; however, I am worried that some of these pieces will crack over time.

I think the unit gives you an adequate amount of storage. Yeah, it can only accommodate seven plates, but seriously - if you’re space is so small that you need a foldable drying rack that you can store elsewhere, you probably have such a small kitchen that you’re not going to be hosting large dinner parties anyway. People who buy this are undoubtedly living in places with small kitchens, and it’s unlikely that they’ll need more dish space.

I’m not in love with the tines for glasses. If you have, say, a couple rocks classes, the tines will hold them up, balancing precariously at an awkward angle. It’s better for tall glasses. They’re also kind of close together if you have larger glasses, like pint glasses or whatever.

I also think it’s pretty expensive, especially for something that is plastic and doesn’t really fold up that much. Yeah, the sides fold in, but the base unit is big enough that it will take up space to store. The hinge parts also make it difficult to dry the unit itself. You don’t want to leave this wet because you could get mildew, but there are so many odd little places that you really have to work to get the moisture out.

Overall, it’s a mostly-good product, but it’s expensive and has some flaws, as mentioned above. I’m not convinced that it justifies costing $10-20 more than its competitors.

PureGuardian H965 70-Hour Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier, Crystal White
PureGuardian H965 70-Hour Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier, Crystal White
Price: $50.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for dry winters, December 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a pretty average humidifier at a slightly above-average price. It works well, but you can get more for your money with some of its competitors.

Operation is trivial. Pour in some water, press the power button, enjoy a more humid environment. The manual references a twisting power button/knob that controls the output level, but you actually control it by pressing the power button repeatedly. This means you have to cycle through all the settings anytime you turn it on or off, sort of like a ceiling fan (at least back when you had to actually pull a little chain instead of pressing the desired speed on a remote control). This doesn’t bother me as much as it has for certain other reviewers, but it’s worth noting in case it will bother you too.

It is difficult to determine the value of this humidifier. On the one hand, you can get some nice features in other models for the same price. Take, for instance, the Crane ‘Drop’ unit; it has more than double the water capacity *and* a rotating dial to adjust the output rate, all for the same price. On the other hand, the PureGuardian comes with a built-in nightlight, which is a somewhat unusual feature. I wouldn’t go out of my way to buy a humidifier with a nightlight, but I suppose if you’re buying this for a child, it might be a cool feature. You will have to determine which features are more valuable to you. I will say that this unit certainly looks nicer than a lot of similar units. If you care about aesthetics at all, this might add some value for you as well.

Finally, lets talk performance. The winters where I live are very dry, so I had the perfect conditions for testing this. I used it in my bedroom, and it worked great. The bigger the room, the less effective it will be, obviously, but I’m sure it would work well with all but the largest of bedrooms (provided that you keep your door closed).

Overall, it’s a quality humidifier. Depending on what features you want, you may want to check out other models.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20