Profile for DalLvr > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

DalLvr RSS Feed (SF Bay Area)

Page: 1 | 2
Hoodman Ruggedized Raw Steel Superspeed USB 3.0 UDMA Card Reader - Hoodman RAWUSB3
Offered by K&M Camera
Price: Click here to see our price
14 used & new from $49.94

1.0 out of 5 stars All Hat, No Cattle, April 1, 2014
I bought this card reader from Amazon last year, mostly because of what appears to its sturdiness. However, in using it with my 2013 retina MacBookPro, I have discovered that it frequently connects to the USB 3 port on the left side of the MBP at only USB 2 speeds. The difference is substantial. A given folder of 48 GB Canon raw images transfers in 6 minutes at USB 3 speeds, but at a much slower 41 minutes at USB 2 speeds.

I thought this was a problem with my MBP's ports and Apple replaced the logic board and the IO board under warranty. However, the problem persisted. I finally bought a new Lexar USB 3 Dual-Slot reader, and the problem disappeared.

I will have to see if Hoodman will replace this card reader for me, but because it has been a year since I purchased it, I am not holding my breath. Bottom line, if you want a card reader that actually performs at USB 3 transfer speeds, buy the cheaper, and somewhat flimsier looking Lexar.

Toast 11 Titanium Mac  [Download]
Toast 11 Titanium Mac [Download]
Price: $99.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrid, buggy, January 14, 2014
I have been a Toast user for more than a decade. Version 11.2 is the worst ever. The download installer installed v. 11.1, which wouldn't launch on my Mac running Mavericks. The software update section of Roxio's site did not list 11.2, which had in fact been released. I finally found it by googling. Install did NOT go smoothly. I had to first manually remove v. 11.1. How long has it been since you had to do a manual uninstall in order to install a program?

The best thing I can say is that 11.2 does work, I can burn tivo content to a disk. But launching the software is hit or miss, I have to force quit the app when it fails to launch, even after repairing permissions and deleting old plists from my preferences. It seems that they just tinkered with very old code to make it very minimally compatible with Mavericks and did nothing else to make it a smooth user experience. This program is SO bad, it almost amounts to a fraud.

I did not know that I will not be able to burn HD content to a Blu-Ray disc without buying separate software, as I learned from the lengthy review by a similarly PO'd user. That will be an issue for me.

OP/TECH USA System Connector Sling Strap Adaptor
OP/TECH USA System Connector Sling Strap Adaptor
Price: $9.95
9 used & new from $9.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for those of smaller stature, December 13, 2013
This sling adaptor simply cannot be adjusted to fit me. I am 5'3" and slim. I carry a heavy camera and lenses, so I thought this sling adapter when attached to an OpTech pro strap I already own might relieve the strain on my neck. Alas, even at its shortest, this adapter leaves my camera dangling at mid-thigh level, not at all a comfortable way to carry it. There should be some information provided by OpTech to the effect that this strap is for larger people—average to large men, and large women. I want to keep the uni-loops, so I will try to give away the unusable strap adaptor.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 4, 2014 8:35 PM PST

Bach Original Flower Remedies Rescue Remedy - 10 ml
Bach Original Flower Remedies Rescue Remedy - 10 ml
Offered by AmericaRx
Price: $8.53
30 used & new from $5.89

2.0 out of 5 stars Product itself is 5 star, April 11, 2013
However, this was advertised as some sort of special deal. However, this is the SMALL bottle, but used the same photo as the larger bottle which is what I wanted. I suppose it said somewhere in the fine print that it was a small bottle, but I will look over any future special saver deals with a fine tooth comb. Borderline deceptive.

To the Grave: A Genealogical Crime Mystery #2 (Jefferson Tayte)
To the Grave: A Genealogical Crime Mystery #2 (Jefferson Tayte)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent mystery, highly recommended, February 24, 2013
So many books these days seem to originate not in the minds of authors, but in some committee in a publishing house that is trying to create blockbusters that appeal to book clubs. Such books, written to include formulaic elements, always disappoint. That is why I so enjoyed all three of Steve Robinson's books. They are written by someone who clearly loves writing, and writing about what he knows, which is genealogy. The books are well-plotted, entertaining, and well-written. They are also a good value, since they are excellent books at bargain prices (at least if you buy the Kindle version).

Triggertrap Mobile Dongle 2 (MD-N3 For Canon)
Triggertrap Mobile Dongle 2 (MD-N3 For Canon)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised, February 24, 2013
My only problem has been to find a way to support my iPhone using the camera's hot shoe or somehow tethering it to my tripod or monopod. Wish the clever Triggertrap folks would find a solution.

Microplane Professional Extra Coarse Grater
Microplane Professional Extra Coarse Grater
Offered by Chef's Arsenal/Market Warehouse
Price: $16.95
26 used & new from $16.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful grater, September 13, 2012
Now I can finally discard our 25-year old grater, which until we got the Microplane grater, had not been surpassed by any previous replacement candidates. This grater is incredibly sharp and does a wonderful job with cheddar cheese and other such items.

Musicophilia
Musicophilia
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $10.02

3.0 out of 5 stars $3 premium for Kindle, March 8, 2011
This review is from: Musicophilia (Kindle Edition)
Really? a $3 premium for Kindle version compared to paperback? Would love to read this, but not at this price for a Kindle version.

One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd
One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $9.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Inane book made worse by Kindle typos, November 17, 2010
In addition to being an incredibly sophomoric and inane book, the Kindle version is replete with annoying typographic errors, making it irritating and nearly impossible to read. Somehow a lot of s's have been replaced with d's. See, for example the poem at the start of Notebook IV, The Devil Whiskey. "jumble of bodies" has become "jumble of bodied", "some" has become "dome", "couples" has become "coupled" and these are just a few lines of the poem. There are many other examples of the substitution of d for s, but it is particularly egregious here.

In another error, what should be the contraction 'll has come out as 1 1 instead with no punctuation.

If I were into conspiracy theories, I would say that the publishers were trying to kill e-books by selling books with so many errors. I can't imagine that the print version contained all of these typos.

This is the third Kindle book I have purchased that is loaded with typos.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 22, 2010 8:16 AM PST

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Shrunk!, November 9, 2010
I have used Sight Savers for years and like them. I just re-ordered this item a couple of days ago and noticed that the package seemed a bit smaller. Bausch & Lomb has reduced the size of each individual cloth to 5 x 6" from 5 x 8". The product appears to be the same in all other respects. The decrease in size doesn't bother me too much, but it may affect other purchasers.

Page: 1 | 2