Profile for C. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

C. RSS Feed (Asheville, NC)

Edmund Husserls Phenomenology (Purdue University Series in the History of Philosophy)
by Joseph J. Kockelmans
12 used & new from $31.22

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine book clarifying one of the great but difficult articles written for the Encyclopaedia Britannica., November 23, 2010
I have returned to this work of Kockelman's several times since its initial publication and always feel some increase, however small, in my weak understanding of what Husserl was saying in his torturous article. For my part I doubt the last reviewer was able to discern the format of the book he wrote about but the result was so hilarious that it's just as well. In his article for the Encyclopaedia Britannica Husserl tried to say too much but he often did that and the article was surprisingly important to him or he wouldn't have struggled on alone after Heidegger bailed out. Husserl was a genius with few peers and tradition insists on calling him an unnecessarily difficult if not a poor writer. Well, maybe, but the difficulty in reading him is also a function of the complex ideas he was trying to throw light on for the very first time. Not all great ideas grasped for the first time by certain men and women are extraordinarily complex, but they are always like Eliot's words and tend to slip, slide, perish, and will not stay in place. Otherwise, we would not have to wait for genius to point at them for us. Kockelman's book and Husserl's article still help me see some things I enjoy thinking about but could never have come up with on my own.