Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 244

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer "EB" RSS Feed (The Wilds)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
V-LIGHT Halogen Desk Lamp with 3-Point Adjustable Arm and Dimmer Switch, Black Chrome (VSD102BC)
Price: $39.99
3 used & new from $31.69

3.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Overpriced, Cheap & Hot, July 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It does the job, but it's not the best quality. Even if the price was lower, the device simply gets too hot. Might be good for bedside reading on a winter day. That's a very small niche, though. If the lamp was priced at $20, I would recommend it for those who need a desk lamp, but are on a strict budget. At this price, however, you could might find better alternatives.

AmazonBasics Packing Cubes - Large (4-Piece Set)
AmazonBasics Packing Cubes - Large (4-Piece Set)
Price: $25.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for Backpacks, July 4, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
So many cubes are geared toward backpacks, which is great, but most folks use large suitcases. Enter AmazonBasics Large Packing Cubes... all of them. ...All of them are large.

Cubes organize your items and save space. By compressing your items, you can either take more things, or carry a smaller suitcase. You can organize your items into outfits or articles of clothing. You no longer need to search for a particular sock in a pile or stack of clothing.

What I like about these cubes is that they are all designed for suitcases. They are lightweight and slim-line, but sturdy. Cubes are a simple product. That's about all you'd want them to be. Just keep in mind, none of these cubes will fit in a backpack.

Kelty Capture 25 Liter Backpack
Kelty Capture 25 Liter Backpack
Price: $79.95
9 used & new from $78.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Over-Priced, Semi-Foldable Daypack, Not Backpack, June 10, 2015
This review is from: Kelty Capture 25 Backpack (Sports)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This bag was priced at $79. Considering the more substantial Osprey Escapist 25 Daypack is on offer for $80 at the moment, this bag is priced way too high.

I'm going to review this for what is is - a daypack. Daypacks have more features than your standard JanSport backpack, but they are not intended to use as travel luggage. it's not meant to haul around heavy, expensive electronic equipment or tons of school books either. Daypacks are meant for side trips to the beach, up a mountain, or even in a city. They are more athletically-minded They're great as overnighters. As daypacks go, I like the Capture.

The slim, flat, flexible build of this pack makes it easy to use as a foldable daypack. It won't fold up and fit under your compression straps, but, when packed, it won't take up any more room than a sweater. This is my favorite unsung 'feature' of this pack.

Expandable outer 'sleeve' for wet or dirty items, shoes, towels, etc. (2nd favorite feature)
Tucked away bottle holder
Hydration sleeve for water bladder
Hip straps
Sternum straps
Back vents with absorbent padding
Compression straps

Even with these wonderful features, this bag seems a bit overpriced. There's simply not that much to it to justify $74. It's one step away from a packable daypack that goes for $20. If you factor in the (inexpensive) features and the Kelty name, perhaps $55?

In spite of its light weight and flimsy build, it does fit & hold my heavy 15-inch laptop. I wouldn't recommend transporting a laptop in this bag regularly. It's not padded or reinforced. It's not made to carry laptops, so that's not a strike against the bag. It's actually a plus. It's nice to know that, in a pinch, I can carry my laptop.

Now, as for the phone holder... Yeah - no. It fits my Nokia N82 from 2007, but it doesn't fit most modern-day smartphones. With all the soft material flexing and moving about, I'm not sure one could really 'capture' a video worth watching anyhow. it's really a gimmick. The same goes for the shoulder strap pocket. Pretty much unusable.

Overall, it's a nice, light, casual pack with some good features. It's handsome & sporty. The Kelty name gives me instant backpacker cred. I love the adjustable outer "pocket" and hidden bottle holder, as well as the hydration sleeve. Most of all, the small footprint allows me to pack the bag when not in use, and not take up much space.

Tortuga Backpacks 44 L Travel Backpack
Tortuga Backpacks 44 L Travel Backpack

5.0 out of 5 stars Osprey Farpoint 40L, Pacsafe, Minaal or Tortuga (& Why I Only Do Carry-On), May 31, 2015
I purchased an Osprey Farpoint 70. Then I decided to go carry-on only & bought a Farpoint 40. Then I found Tortuga, so I returned the Osprey 40 and bought the Tortuga. Here are the reasons why.

1. Tortuga carries 4 more liters (1 gallon) of stuff, but still qualifies as a carry-on.
2. Tortuga has hip pockets for easy access to passport, keys, money, cards, tickets, mobile phone.
3. Tortuga has side pockets which are easier to reach.
4. Tortuga's side pockets are not cut off by compression straps & they can be zipped close
5. Tortuga has more pockets & compartments.
6. Tortuga's square shape allows for more efficient packing.
7. Tortuga has sort of a cult, insider following because it doesn't spend money on advertising.

Osprey's Farpoint 40L is considerably more handsome than Tortuga. Due to Tortuga's larger size and squared shape, the Osprey is definitely better suited to those with small frames.

I went to REI Coop & looked at Osprey's Porter 46. That's half a gallon more space than Tortuga, but the hip straps have no pockets and are very flimsy. There is no place to carry a water bottle. The back padding has no air passage. The shoulder straps are not well-padded.

Pacsafe & Minaal also make quality carry-on backpacks. Pacsafe's niche is safety as their bags are enforced with a wire mesh to prevent slashing, they block RFID scanners and have zipper locks. Minaal's bag is considerably smaller and plainer. It appeals to more minimalists and those who need their bag for business. Tortuga, with its side pockets and hip pockets, focuses on practicality and convenience.

One caveat with the Minaal, however. It does not come with hip straps (or a waist belt). So, most of the bag's weight rests on your shoulders. In my book, that's a no go. The Pacsafe,Tortuga and Osprey have strong belts that transfer weight to your hips. The bag falls away from your shoulders. It doesn't sag or hang down.

Although Minaal is disqualified in my book, there is no winner here either. You can't go wrong with Tortuga, Osprey or Pacsafe. Any of these high-quality carry-on backpacks would be a good choice. It all depends on your needs and how you travel. I wanted maximum space and convenience. I'm not always wearing cargo pants, but I want my passport, money, mobile phone & cash within easy reach, so I opted for Tortuga with it's side & hip pockets. I also wanted easy access to my water bottle.

As for why I only do carry-on... Unless you need to carry lots of equipment for work, or you're traveling with children, most folks can really get away with a full-size carry-on for very long periods of time. Think not? Give it a trial run w/that rolling carry-on bag in your closet. Roll your clothing tightly (more efficient than cubes in my experience. cubes just take up more space and money) Pack no more than two shoes & sandals, aside from those you'll wear. You don't need a new outfit for every day of the week. Most will find that they can swing a carry-on, sparing the $50 baggage check, 30-minute wait & potential damage to their bag. If you're a frequent traveler, avoiding baggage claim can save hundreds of dollars and hours of time - time & money better spent on more travel. ;-) Finally, there is a peace of mind knowing where your stuff is... that it won't get lost... that it won't get damaged.

The best luggage lock is Kolombo. It is a TSA lock so, should TSA search your bag, they won't have to break the lock. The best part is, Kolombo's lock won't allow the TSA agent to remove their key until they lock the device back. (I know. I know. This is a Tortuga review)

For the many reasons above, I'm glad I returned my Ospreys and purchased the Tortuga. It's not as handsome, but it's more low key & flies under the radar. The handle (top and side), the back, the hip belts - everything is so well padded. The split in the center allows for easy expansion and tension release on zippers. Everything about Tortuga tells you it was designed by folks who actually travel a lot.

If I never have to see (pay for and wait at) a baggage claim again, I wouldn't miss a minute of sleep.

TSA Lock - 3 Digit Combination - Best Luggage Lock For Travel Safety and Security - Lock Alert, Heavy Duty, Assorted Colors TSA Suitcase Lock - Lock Safe Protection - Environmentally Friendly TSA Approved Lock - How To Become A Smarter Traveler eBook - Lifetime Guarantee
Offered by Kolumbo
Price: $13.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Kolumbo vs Tarriss TSA Lock / Kolombo's Harassment, May 24, 2015
Part 1 will review the product. Part 2 will discuss Kolombo the company (unreal)

Part 1
I purchased the Kolumbo as well as the two-pack Tariss TSA Lock. Both locks are well-made TSA locks. Here are some differences.

Tariss has a larger, flexible loop. The benefits of this are obvious. However, Tariss can more easily be cut. The soft, thin loop doesn't inspire much confidence. That said, if someone is going to cut something, they'd more likely cut your bag. That would be a lot easier. ;-) I prefer Kolumbo's hard lock. Though not flexible or very large, it just feels sturdier.

Kolumbo has Lock Safe so a TSA agent must relock the device before removing the key. Tariss does not have this feature. In fact, its soft lock flexes open, so it won't even remain on the zipper once it is opened. I can't help but wonder if it will fall off unnoticed. Kolumbo wins this one, too.

In the end, both locks are well-made and will do the job. I give the nod to Kolumbo, but, if you need a few of these locks and you're watching your budget, you might opt for a dual-pack of Tariss locks. If you're stuffing items into zippers that can barely meet to close, the Tariss lock's length and flexibility will be your guy.

So, I got both locks and I like/need them both. It all depends on your needs, uses & budget. As for my review, Kolumbo comes out ahead. I will probably get another, and not even bother with then thin lock loops of Tarriss.

Part 2
When I purchase a product, I am not signing up for a penpal or for spam. Since purchasing this lock, Kolombo has contacted me FOUR times. Don't abuse the fact that you have my email address. I pay you. You give me the product. I want nothing else to do with you unless there is a problem with payment or product.

I had already made 2 positive reviews, and they kept contacting me to copy/paste one over the other.

1. Leave folks alone, Kolombo, especially if they've already given you 2 good reviews
2. Don't allow Millenials to send correspondence.

To sum it all up, this lock is great, but you might consider Tarriss if you don't want to be spammed and harassed.

Patagonia Men's Loulu Walking Shoe,Thatcher/Brown,11.5 M US
Patagonia Men's Loulu Walking Shoe,Thatcher/Brown,11.5 M US

4.0 out of 5 stars A Real Classic, May 15, 2015
Tasteful enough to wear to work. Casual enough to wear with shorts. The perfect shoe to pair with jeans. Loulus are some of most flexible & comfortable shoes.

I don't have much of an arch, so the flat, low-the-ground design is perfect for me. If you're in need or arch support, there is plenty of room in these shoes to add a little.

Speaking of room, Loulus don't simply run large in size, but the very design is wide. I normally wear 12 & 11.5. I chose 11.5. Still too big - both in length and width. Even with the 11, the actual design of the shoe makes me look a bit like a platypus. I like the wide look, but it is a bit exaggerated. Patagonia took it a bit too far.

I haven't had the shoes long enough to comment on how long the sole will hold up. Granted, it's not the thickest sole. Time will tell.

This Thatcher/Brown version costs $54. The other color options run as high as $120 which is criminal. These shoes are in no way worth $120 simply because, according to the reviews on the pricey color models, the soles won't hold up for very long. This is why I went with Thatcher. It's reasonably priced, beautiful, tasteful, flexible & supremely comfortable.
sole

Tarriss TSA Lock - TSA Luggage Locks for Travel - 2 Pack - Lifetime Warranty
Tarriss TSA Lock - TSA Luggage Locks for Travel - 2 Pack - Lifetime Warranty
Offered by Tarriss
Price: $20.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Tarriss or Kolumbo with lock safety protection?, May 15, 2015
I considered Kolumbo TSA lock because it has lock safety protection. Should a TSA agent open the lock, he/she cannot remove their key w/o re-locking the device. I also like the hard metal lock loop. Though not as flexible or long, it would seem to be a bit more sturdy.

In the end, I chose Tarriss because it is more affordable. The larger, flexible loop just might come in handy. If you're concerned w/a TSA agent failing to re-lock the device, keep in mind that this lock will flex open when unlocked so the agent will see, immediately upon unlocking, that it won't just hang on to the zipper the way a hard loop will. I don't foresee this being a problem. That 'said,' it seems someone could more easily cut these soft loops than the hard ones of the Kolumbo. ...but, if they cut anything, they'll probably just slice through the bag, right? ;-)

Overall I would probably prefer Kolumbo w/the lock safe and durable hard loop. However, for this price, I get two very well-made locks with a lifetime warranty, so I'm happy with my purchase.

I definitely recommend these locks
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 17, 2015 12:32 PM PDT

Philips BT2200B/27 Shoqbox Mini Rugged Compact Wireless Waterproof Outdoor or Shower Portable Bluetooth Speaker (Black) Float in Water Technology and Built-In Mic for Phone Calls
Price: $46.76

5.0 out of 5 stars I AM SHOQED!, May 5, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
1. The speakers get very loud, have surprisingly good bass & clarity for a small speaker
2. The sound, size & portability make Shoqbox suitable as a replacement for wiring & piping music
3. Shoqbox is smaller than it looks. I can carry it in my cargo pants & break-out w/a portable party anytime.
4. Shoqbox may also be wired to your device if you don't wish to use bluetoth
5. It charges quickly.
6. Shoqbox can hang w/you in the shower & mask your pathetic wailing.
7. As a speaker & microphone, it's superior to the built-in speakerphone on your mobile phone

I have (and have used) many bluetooth speakers. This is one of the best & most versatile of the lot. I highly recommend Shoqbox.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Hey Now
Hey Now
Offered by SONY Music Entertainment Downloads LLC.
Price: $1.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting & Introspective, May 2, 2015
This review is from: Hey Now (MP3 Music)
Down-tempoj track with an emotional groove. Great play for when you're turning inward or even grieving.

Life n Soul BM101-BR IPX4 Mini Water Resistant Bluetooth Speaker (Black)
Life n Soul BM101-BR IPX4 Mini Water Resistant Bluetooth Speaker (Black)
Price: $24.99
6 used & new from $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars PARTY-ON-THE-GO, April 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Fits in my pocket. Surprisingly good sound, bass & clarity, water-resistant. Now I have a soundtrack for my shower singing. The sound is even good enough for background music if you have a few guests over.

Nicely stylized, attention to detail - from the soft-touch materials, to the metal knobs, to the stretchable band and the color trim. Pairs quickly and easily. There's really nothing I don't like about my little buddy. I must have another.

The size and the price make it the perfect gift. I'm doing my happy dance.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20