Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 234

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer "EB" RSS Feed (The Wilds)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Osprey Farpoint 70 Travel Backpack, Charcoal Gray, Medium/Large
Osprey Farpoint 70 Travel Backpack, Charcoal Gray, Medium/Large
Price: $199.95
7 used & new from $199.95

5.0 out of 5 stars TRULY SUPERIOR ...but a bit of advice, March 3, 2015
Hot damn! This is one helluva bag. I won't bother to parrot what's abundantly clear, but I will suggest a bit of caution.

Just after I ordered this bag, I did a trial run to see how much I could get into a carry-on sized bag. (Shoes, sandals, 3 pants, shorts, 4 tops, jacket, underwear, laptop, toiletries, even my hair clippers)

Guess what? Everything I needed fit into a carry-on sized bag. Unless you need to carry large pieces of equipment for work, it might behoove you to pack a lot less into a smaller bag. Here's why...

1. Osprey's Farpoint 40 classifies as carry-on. Save money on baggage check. Save time at the airport.
2. There's far less little risk of a carry-on getting lost or damaged.
3. Even if you're on the road for a year, you really don't need an outfit for every day of the week.
4. Less weight to carry around is never a bad thing

As much as I love the looks, function, quality and function of this bag, it's just too big. That's not a bad thing, however. It's just not for me. The only strike is that, there's no excuse for a bag not to have hip pockets for easy access to passport, money, keys, lip balm or mobile phones. That said, the hip belt is so strong that it's responsible for most of the bag's weight being transferred to your waist instead of shoulders. Well done.

If you're sold on Osprey for its looks and truly superior suspension, consider the Farpoint 40. (There is a Farpoint 55, but, even without the daypack, the very frame of the 55 is too big for carry on.) If you want more space than 40 liters, but still a quality carry-on bag, try the Tortuga backpack. It's has an additional 4 liters (1 gallon) of space, substantial hip pockets that the Ospreys don't have, and it's well made. Beware, though, the Tortuga is purely functional. That is to say, it is a hideous bag.

If you need or simply want more of the comforts of home with you, or if you need to carry lots of equipment, then you surely can't go wrong with this pack. This is the only large bag I would consider. Osprey should really include hip pockets on all packs, though.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Osprey Farpoint 40 Travel Backpack, Charcoal, Medium/Large
Osprey Farpoint 40 Travel Backpack, Charcoal, Medium/Large
Price: $150.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Farpoint 40 or 55? ...and other options, March 2, 2015
I wanted as much space as possible w/o having to check my bags. I wanted quality and versatility. I fell in love with this bag... then I found a another option.

Some folks say a 40oz bag is only good for a few weeks. Truth be told, it's good for a year+. You really don't need an outfit for every day of the week. Unless you need to carry around lots of equipment for work, you're better off keeping it simple, carrying less. If you're vacillating between the Farpoint 40 and 50, most folks find that they really don't need that spare suit or ballroom dress. You don't really need those boots or four pair of shoes. In the event you need something particular on the road, buy it then. Using a carry-on is cheaper than paying $50 to check a bag over and over. You're less likely to lose your own bag. You're less likely to damage your own bag. Besides, who wants to stand around baggage claim after weathering a 10 hour flight and an hour of customs?

If you need a daypack, there are well-rated daypacks on Amazon for $20, some of them fit 15" laptops.

As well-made, versatile and handsome as the Farpoint 40 is, sometimes you pick up an extra item along the way and need just a little more space, but you still want the bag to fit as a carry on. Sometimes you wish you had hip pockets for easy access to your keys, passports, money and mobile phone. Sometimes you wish you had easy-to-reach side pockets.

If this is you, you might consider the Tortuga backpack. It's squared-off corners provide 4 more liters (1 gallon) of additional space within the dimensions of a carry-on. The laptop pouch rests against your back for better balance. The 2 hip pockets are convenient and generous. The side pockets are easier to reach.

You really can't go wrong with either. However, if vanity gets the best of you, you should know that the Tortuga is, well, 'functional' whilst the Osprey is gorgeous and has a slightly better suspension system.

TeckNet® M002 2.4G Nano Cordless Optical Mouse - 18 Month Battery Life - Battery Level Indicator - 2.4 GHz -3 Adjustable DPI Levels: 2000/1500/1000dPi - Nano USB wireless receiver - Black
Offered by SmarTeck
Price: $10.99
3 used & new from $9.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Hate to be so negative, but..., March 2, 2015
No CD to download... No website to visit or join... Nothing to "calibrate"... No "community" to join... Didn't ask for my email... Didn't ask me to send feedback... Doesn't require research to get up & running... Doesn't interfere with my existing bluetooth connections... Doesn't need any instructions... No complicated packaging... No pop ups... No "reminders" of its presence...

Just plug & go. Simple as that.

I'm so tired of self-important tech and apps. I'm tired of having to download or register just to use a toenail clipper these days.

TeckNet's mouse is just an affordable, nicely featured mouse that starts working in seconds and doesn't stop for 18 months. Doesn't get any better than that. It shuts the hell up and does its job like tech used to do

What a relief!

Logitech HD Webcam C310
Logitech HD Webcam C310
Offered by High End Tech
Price: $28.49
78 used & new from $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep it Simple, March 2, 2015
Good quality. Affordable. Small. Great adjustments.

Practical English Usage
Practical English Usage
by Michael Swan
Price: $30.43
101 used & new from $12.84

5.0 out of 5 stars The Gold Standard for Grammar, March 2, 2015
What makes this different than other books with the same information is that everything is very easy to find and written very efficiently for easy recall. I don't want to spend hours searching. That's why I got Swan. That's why I'll always use Swan.

Point blank. End of story. That's all she wrote. Thanks for coming. Best

Samsung 32GB PRO Class 10 Micro SDHC up to 90MB/s with Adapter (MB-MG32DA/AM)
Samsung 32GB PRO Class 10 Micro SDHC up to 90MB/s with Adapter (MB-MG32DA/AM)
Price: $24.99
22 used & new from $18.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Superior Memory Card, March 2, 2015
The amount of storage + transfer speed + water proof + temperature proof + X-Ray proof + magnetic proof + reasonable price = The absolute best memory card on the market.

I store 1000s of songs and a number of HD videos on the card. Everything plays smoothly and downloads quickly with my Huawei Ascend Mate 7.

This is the only type of memory card I will ever buy.

Huawei Ascend Mate 7 LTE, 16GB, 6" Display, Factory Unlocked (White)
Huawei Ascend Mate 7 LTE, 16GB, 6" Display, Factory Unlocked (White)
Offered by BREED
Price: $489.99
11 used & new from $427.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Only 2GB of RAM? Compatibility? Lollipop? ...A Few Things You May Not Know, March 2, 2015
1. Most modern Android flagships have 3gb of RAM and quad core processors. The Mate 7 has 2gb of RAM, but comes w/an octacore processor. A processor is not the same as RAM memory, but it does use the RAM differently which seems to level the playing field. I'm a multi-tasker. I shoot video, Skype, play music, etc. At any given time, I have at least a spare .7gb of RAM. Plenty for safe, smooth operation, as well a bit of future-proofing.

Huawei was smart to keep the screen resolution at 1080p. QuadHD pixels aren't noticeable to the human eye, they take up a lot more battery power & they require more memory to operate. Huawei's choice of 1080p, 8 cores & large battery is a much more efficient combination. Huawei does offer a 3gb version of the HAM7, but that model doesn't work with USA LTE frequencies, and costs $800.

2. Huawei promises Lollipop within the first half of 2015.

3. Unlike iPhone, you needn't wake the phone up to activate the fingerprint reader. Unlike Samsung, you needn't wake phone up, then swipe repeatedly. Simply touch and it awakens. It's the best executed sensor... except that you must pick it up every time you wish to unlock it. However, you can program it to lock only after you click the side button, but to stay unlocked for 30mins when the screen fades to black on its own. You can store two fingerprints profiles. One for you and another, limited-access profile (for example), for someone who needs to make a call.

4. AM7 has dual sim slots for two phone numbers. Their profiles can be activated with different fingerprints. So, you can have your personal and business line in one phone. If you travel overseas, you can rent a local sim but still receive and make calls with your home number. However, if you plan to use dual sim regularly, you cannot use a memory card. The memory card resides in a sim slot.

5. AM7 runs well on T-Mobile's LTE. It also runs on AT&T, but I've no experience in that department. Because this is a GSM device, neither Sprint nor Verizon are supported. It supports LTE frequencies for China, Germany, Spain and others as well.

6. This phone has the largest battery in the business. Hands down. Without question. End of story. The Kirin processor isn't as power hungry as the latest two Snapdragon processors running in the competition. LG's new G Flex 2, for example, has the latest Snapdragon processor & 3gb of RAM. It's prone to overheating so it has a mechanism which slows the process down, rendering the speed irrelevant. Huawei's Kirin processor is more efficient. It runs incredibly cool and isn't as taxing on the battery. When you combine that with the largest battery in the business, you're left with a device that lasts two full days. I play videos, shoot HD videos, use widget, etc... and it still last two full days.... with 21% battery remaining when I go to bed. I don't need a car charger. I don't need a battery pack. I've started my day on a 38% charge and made it through.

7. Speaking of the battery, Mate 7 offers reverse charging. You can actually charge other folks' mobile devices (or your tablet or smartwatch) from the AM7. With a battery twice the size of most, you can surely afford to be so generous. It requires a special cord, though. (Huawei Reverse Charge Cable - $10)

9. The camera functions well in low light. The front-facing camera lets in a surprisingly good amount of light in dim situations and has good color balance.

10. In The States, you'll be the only one of your friends to have one. It's bigger than the Note and the iPhone 6 Plus, plus it is made of better materials and has smaller bezels.

11. Huawei's Emotion user interface is lighter than Samsung's TouchWiz. There is no lag. Because it's an Android, M7 is far more customizable than any iPhone, plus you can have scrolling widgets. I even use an old version of aDownloader which allows me to download movies and current TV shows quickly and for free. iPhone is a Lexus - smooth, silky, slick & high-end... for basic street driving. Androids are like multifunctional Range Rovers - high-end and far more capable. They just do so much more, though not always so silky.

CONS

1. For the inexperienced user, there are too many built in alerts that might make one paranoid. Alerts of an app using 4mah of battery life... and alert that a power-hungry app is open, even though you have RAM and battery life to spare. It's all about optimizing performance, but it's too obtrusive and it's not necessary. It's like having a car that goes 200mph, but you get a warning at 100mph. Yeah...no. That's one of the first things I disabled. That's one thing I like about iPhones. I don't wanna know all of that, just handle it. You have a to be techie to get the most out of an Android. With an iPhone, if something is using up too much memory, iPhone closes it. The thing is, the apps Mate 7 constantly warns you about are far from taxing the phone. Which brings me to my next point.

2. If you're new to Android, you'll find it is still a bit of a science project. For example, my previous device was a Galaxy which comes w/a lot of unwanted bloat apps you can't remove. When I updated my M7, it automatically downloaded all my apps from Google Play.... including the unwanted Samsung/T-Mobile bloat apps. :-/ On top of that, the average person wouldn't have a clue as to how much their Android can truly do. That said, any American who knows about the Mate 7 is not the average smartphone user.

3. Another peeve is that WiFi has been known to disconnect every so often when the phone is idle. Knowing Android, there's probably some mislabeled setting (buried deep, that I'll never be able to find twice) which disables this... or offers a timer... or a time of day to to this. You get the idea. Too much customization on silly stuff. Perhaps it's another superfluous, unnecessary power-saving trick. This phone has more power-saving tricks than any phone I've used and yet it has a battery twice the size of most. There are so many settings on high-end Androids that, when you stumble upon a setting to change something you didn't know could be changed, you'll most likely forget how you found it. Textbook Android. The price you pay for ultimate customization.

4. The earbuds that come with the M7 are for the birds. Too big my my ears, hard, poor sound. Everything else is so tactile and high-end. I threw mine in the trash.

One more thing, if you're looking to root the M7, Huawei doesn't offer an unlock for the bootloader. There are a couple of bogus videos out there that say otherwise, though. Fortunately, Huawei doesn't load the AM7 with as much bloat as *some* companies. As you're not buying this from a carrier, you won't have additional T-Mobile or AT&T bloat. I do hope Huawei comes through with a Lollipop update, though.

LET'S WRAP THIS UP

In summary, what makes the Ascend Mate 7 so great and so unique is... 6" screen... well-executed fingerprint scanner... gargantuan battery that charges other batteries... optimized processor and user interface... dual SIM... 8 core processor... tiny bezels & high-quality metal body... Cat 6 LTE-A (future-proofed for when it finally comes to The States)... unlocked to be used by multiple carriers... you'll be the only one of your friends to have one.

I've read complaints that it's too big. It's a frickin phablet, for crying out loud. Would you buy a sedan then complain that it has too many doors?

In the end, I compared the OnePlus One, Note 4, LG G3 & even the iPhone 6 Plus. I settled on the Huawei Ascend Mate 7, not simply because it's the best value, but because it's the best combination of features & efficient engineering. It's just the best overall package, even down to the meticulous packaging & attention to detail. From software to hardware, it's really a quality device.

Miracle Gro Ultra Lite Hose, 50-Feet
Miracle Gro Ultra Lite Hose, 50-Feet
Price: $29.99
3 used & new from $24.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthusiasm Over a Hose?, March 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I never thought I'd like a hose so much. It's disarmingly light and small for a 50-foot hose. (I needed a dolly and a mule for my last one.) So easy to transport and a small footprint when coiled. As it's lead-free and doesn't have that toxic smell, I have no guilt quenching my dog's thirst with it. It never twists up on me. It's just a light, durable, well-made, quality hose.

Belkin QODE Ultimate Keyboard Case for iPad Air 2 (White)
Belkin QODE Ultimate Keyboard Case for iPad Air 2 (White)
Price: $129.99
4 used & new from $115.35

5.0 out of 5 stars A Marriage of Convenience & Productivity, February 20, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The keyboard folds back flat. That is the star of the show, for me. When I'm done w/the keyboard, I barely know it's there. It doesn't add much bulk or weight, yet I can get the job done more quickly than on the touchscreen and just as accurately as on my MacBook.

The case is well-made, nicely stylized and offers good protection.
If you're in the market for a keyboard case, this is the one you need.

adidas Men's Samba Classic Soccer Shoe,Black/Running White,12 M
adidas Men's Samba Classic Soccer Shoe,Black/Running White,12 M
Price: Click here to see our price
17 used & new from $40.39

5.0 out of 5 stars I Don't Care for Chucks, February 18, 2015
I know. It's a cardinal sin not to like Converse All Stars. I just don't like the ubiquitous, "bubble gums," but I wanted a sneaker I could wear everything from shorts to casual suits. I didn't want some bright shiny neon thing, but I didn't want something as low key as Ralph Lauren Polo canvas shoes either.

Enter Adidas Samba Classics. A timeless, versatile shoe, without the hipster or preppy connotations of Chucks or Ralphs. Unlike the 'updated' Samba Originals, the Classics don't squeak.

My only complaint is the arch support. It is huge. I have a mild arch and it's just too much. I'm sure the shoe will stretch to my feet, both in width and height, though.

Other than that, these shoes are a winner. I'm going to need a pair in white. ...I can just feel it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20