Profile for Matty > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Matty RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
ASUS N56VZ-DS71 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black)
ASUS N56VZ-DS71 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect laptop, August 7, 2012
This laptop is extremely fast, especially considering the price. I play quite a few games and have been very pleased by the performance. I haven't run any benchmarks but am confident it will easily handle anything that's out there right now. You will not find anything much faster at this size and price.

The screen is excellent, the viewing angles are very good horizontally and not bad vertically. Glare has been a non issue. Having full HD on a 15" screen seems like it might be excessive but I wouldn't have it any other way.

The keyboard feels great, I love having a full keypad but some may not as it 'shifts' the rest of the keyboard over. The keys are illuminated, but I see the light leaking from between the keys and chassis more than anything else, so I keep the illumination off. The track pad isn't bad, it isn't as nice as the track pad you'll find on Apple machines but better than most track pads I've used. The overall build quality is good, the machine feels very sturdy. The display hinge is very strong, perhaps even too strong. The sound is alright, admittedly I haven't used the small subwoofer that is included, I use headphones most the time.

The battery life is decent when considering the speed of the machine. You should be able to expect 3-4 hours of battery life on the battery saving mode. The machine is almost silent even when under heavy loads, the vent puts out a decent amount of hot air but the palm rests stay cool.

The machine is a bit big when compared to some other similar machines out there, namely the Samsung Series 7 and Sony VAIO S. I originally bought the Samsung, I returned it due to several defects in the screen, but even without the defects I found that display to be too poor to justify purchasing a second.

Overall I highly, highly recommend this laptop. If you are highly mobile and need something thinner or with more than 3-4 hours of battery life there are better options. Otherwise I don't believe this machine can be beat.

One last note, the machine does come with a lot of crap installed. You're even forced into accepting the user agreement for the bing toolbar to use the machine for the first time. I did a clean install of windows. I suppose because the usb ports are all 3.0 they will not work until the proper drivers are installed. If you did not wipe the drive you will find all the drivers you need in C:\eSupport\eDriver, otherwise you will have to burn them to a CD to get usb support/networking back.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2012 1:24 PM PDT

Samsung Series 7 NP700Z5C-S01US 15.6-Inch Laptop (Silver)
Samsung Series 7 NP700Z5C-S01US 15.6-Inch Laptop (Silver)

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, except for display, July 30, 2012
The specs and design of this laptop are wonderful. The i7-3615QM processor and NVIDIA GT 640m GPU provide excellent performance and are about as good as you'll get in a laptop of this size. The machine is very thin considering its performance, and no wider or longer than a 15" laptop needs to be. It felt well built and very sturdy.

The back-lit keyboard was pleasant to use. The touchpad is admittedly frustrating, but less so with time. Dragging objects with a touchpad is always a bit tricky, and it was particurally difficult on this machine. I frequently use a wired mouse and was thrilled to have all the ports along the left side of the machine.

The system ran silently, cool (though I did not push it real hard) and was very fast to boot up or put to sleep. The battery life is excellent. The built in speakers are great. As with every other laptop it came with a lot of junk already installed.

The display, however, left much to be desired. My machine came with several defect (bright) pixels and what appeared to be a darkened region along the right edge of the display. This of course is luck of the draw, but even without these defects the display left me unimpressed. The viewing angles were extremely narrow and I wasn't even sure if you could view the entire display from the 'optimal' angle at once. Even at the optimal angle the display was still unimpressive and appeared washed out. In addition to this there is an ambient light sensor that will automatically adjust the brightness of the display. This is extremely annoying when watching a movie, the display would frequently adjust to different brightnesses depending on what was shown on screen. I consider myself fairly tech-proficient, but after about 30 minutes and playing with half a dozen ambient light/'dynamic brightness' settings I couldn't get it to turn off. The display is not full HD (rather 900p), but this is not a big deal, and in some situations can be beneficial (improved performance from games).

I have returned my machine due to the defects in the display (with a thanks to amazon for the excellent customer service). If the defects were not present I would have kept the machine, but since I have returned it I will likely look for something else with a higher quality display.

I highly recommend looking at this item in store before purchasing, I've seen that advice in other reviews and wish I had followed it. If you like the display this machine is an excellent value. If Samsung release new revision with a better display this machine will be near perfect if you need a powerful laptop.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2012 11:31 AM PDT

BAZIC Super Glue, 3 grams 0.10 ounces, 6 Per Pack
BAZIC Super Glue, 3 grams 0.10 ounces, 6 Per Pack
Price: $5.57
8 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, cheap, messy, May 15, 2012
The glue has the viscosity of water, be careful opening and using or you'll have a mess. This low viscosity would also make it difficult for delicate jobs without getting excess glue on the surrounding area, keep that in mind if you are shopping for a particular job.

That said you get plenty of glue for the price and it does its job well.

NETGEAR WNCE2001 Universal WiFi Internet Adapter - Manufacturer Refurbished
NETGEAR WNCE2001 Universal WiFi Internet Adapter - Manufacturer Refurbished
Offered by Zumbee Inc
Price: $26.95
8 used & new from $25.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I've needed, May 15, 2012
I use this to connect my desktop to my WiFi network. I've had issues in the past with wireless USB adapters. I bought an access point once, but it was somewhat bulky to keep behind the desk and died after a few months.

This has worked fantastically. Very easy to set up, small form factor, it came with Velcro so I could attach it to the side of the desktop. The unit is refurbished, and did not come in its original packaging, but it came nicely packed nonetheless with all components (I don't believe there was a user's manual, rather a paper directing you to one online. If you've ever set up a wireless network you should manage without one anyways).

For the price and ease of use I highly recommend this device if you have any wired devices you'd like to have wireless capability.

Corsair 8GB (2x 4GB) 1333mhz PC3-10666 204-pin DDR3 SODIMM Laptop Memory Kit CMSO8GX3M2A1333C9
Price: $78.99
54 used & new from $60.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, May 15, 2012
Worked with no problems on the July 2011 Mac Mini (Model MC815LL/A). Much cheaper than upgrading ram through Apple store. Only took a few minutes to install, even if you have never installed ram before it is extremely easy to access on the Mac Mini.

Mentholatum Natural Ice Medicated Lip Protectant SPF 15, Mentholatum 0.16-Ounce Tubes (Pack of 12)
Price: $13.08
10 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best lip balm out there, April 28, 2012
My lips are sensitive, and as a kid growing up in Minnesota I had very chapped lips. I used all sorts of other lip balms, they didn't help. A doctor eventually took notice during a visit and recommended natural ice. It was amazing, the relief was instantaneous and accompanied by a wonderful tingling sensation.

Its been 16-17 years since I was first introduced to natural ice, I still haven't found a substitute. Every once in a while I forget or lose a tube and have to buy an alternative. None of them work, they may provide a little protection but if your lips chap they never provide the healing or pain relief of natural ice.

Unfortunately this is almost impossible to find in stores nowadays, and as a result very few people seem to know about it. Give it a shot, even if it means having to order a pack of 12 or a box, you will be satisfied and you will use it all.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Sampler, April 25, 2012
I'm fairly new to loose leaf teas, having bought tea bags my entire life. I bought this as a way to sample many different types of tea. The tea came quickly and was nicely packaged, the tins are great and will likely be kept and reused once the tea runs out. I don't have a scale and cannot tell you exactly how much tea comes in each tin, but by volume its about 2/5 of a cup (100 ml) each. There is a great variety of teas included, I received a tin each of:

Cardamom Black
Organic Chamomile
Organic Se Chung Oolong
Organic Raspberry Burst
Organic Sencha Green

Of course, as mentioned in the product description, what you receive will most likely vary. I've tried and found them all to be wonderful. My inexperience with teas makes it hard to draw comparisons to other brands, but I'm very satisfied with what I have received.

Honey-Can-Do SHF-01442 5-Tier Shelving Holds 200-Pounds per Shelf, 72-Inch, Black
Price: $64.40
30 used & new from $58.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, easy shelving, April 21, 2012
This shelves are very easy to assemble, it took less than 40 minutes from start to finish, including unboxing. The assembly is entirely tool-less. The shelves are held up by 'brackets' placed on each pole. The brackets come in two halves and you may attach them to the pole wherever you like, this allows you to change the spacing between the shelves. When put in place the shelves pinch these brackets together against the pole, keeping them in place. I was skeptical of the strength of this set up at first, but it certainly seems sturdy enough to handle the 200lb that it claims.

The shelves themselves are a wire mesh. The spacing between wires is about 1 inch in one direction and perhaps 6-8 inches in the other direction. This spacing makes storing small items difficult. We use the shelf as extra space in the kitchen, small tins or cans are always tipping over, we will likely get some plexiglass to stick on the shelves. While the shelves are more than sturdy enough for use in the kitchen there is some flex to them in the middle if you are storing heavy objects.

Overall I highly recommend the shelves.

Pros:
+Easy and quick assembly, no tools required.
+Shelf positioning can be changed, though it would take several minutes of effort to change.
+Sturdy
+Adjustable feet

Cons:
-Spacing between wires on shelves can make it difficult to hold small items
-Shelves flex a little in middle, probably not the best choice for very heavy objects, but they are only rated for 200lb anyways.

Zebra Pen Sarasa Rapid Dry Ink Retractable Gel, 20 black, 2 red, 2 blue Pack Bonus Box (14680)
Price: $22.99
9 used & new from $16.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Pen, April 17, 2012
These pens look and feel very similar to the Pilot G2. The difference is they feel slightly less 'bulky' when holding, and I they write slightly more consistently and don't 'skip' as often as the G2. This seems particularly true when the pen meets the paper at more extreme angles, the Sarasa is more consistent.

After using the G2 for years I find myself buying only the Sarasa pens. They're both great pens, if you like one you'll like both. I've come to prefer the size and grip of the Sarasa, as well as the ease with which it writes.

Woodwick Candle Café Sweets Trilogy Medium Jar
Woodwick Candle Café Sweets Trilogy Medium Jar
Price: $23.88
8 used & new from $11.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Candle, April 16, 2012
Wonderful candle that seems to last forever. Smells nice and the wood wick makes a nice crackling sound when burned, though you have to be fairly close to hear it.

Page: 1 | 2