Profile for Paul Allaer > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 90

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Paul Allaer RSS Feed (Cincinnati)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Samba - Hayatimin Sansi
Samba - Hayatimin Sansi
DVD ~ Omar Sy

3.0 out of 5 stars 2.5 Stars... Well-intended but flawed movie, riddled with clichés, May 21, 2015
This review is from: Samba - Hayatimin Sansi (DVD)
"Samba" (2014 release from France; 115 min.) brings the story of Samba Cissé. As the movie opens, the camera pans from a wedding reception to ultimately the back kitchen, where we meet Samba, an illegal resident in Paris hailing from Senegal, making ends meet as a dishwasher. It's not long before Samba gets into trouble, and he faces possible deportation, despite having live in France already 10 years. Alice, a novice social worker/pro bono immigration adviser, is assigned to Samba's case. To tell you more would spoil your viewing experience, you'll just have to see for yourself how it all plays out.

Couple of comments: first, this is a return of the team that brought us the delightful "The Untouchables" a few years ago: co-directors Olivier Nakache and Eric Toledano, and lead actor Omar Sy. On top of that, one of my favorite actresses, Charlotte Gainsbourg, co-stars. So this just HAS to be a great movie, right? Alas, it was not to be. From almost the very beginning of the movie, the plot is riddled with clichés and one-dimensional characters. Alice, played by Gainsbourg, is a rookie, literally the first day on the job. She is told by a co-worker who is training her that she should never, ever give out her phone number to any of the immigrants she is assigned to assist. So what does Alice do within minutes? Give her phone number to Samba, of course! The immigration system is portrayed as absurd, and I'm sure that there are serious issues there, but the way that the directors present it to us (all illegal immigrants: angels! immigration officials: the devil incarnate!) just made me roll my eyes. As for the supposed "comedy" aspects of this movie, I didn't notice much of any. I'm sorry if I'm being harsh on this movie. I'm sure this movie was well-intended, and I really wanted to like it, but when the movie was over, I felt very disappointed and, frankly, let down. Please note there is a nice soundtrack (available in France but not in the US, as far as I can tell), which features the Brothers Johnson's "Stomp", Bob Marley's "Waiting In Vain", and Cyreeta's "To Know You Is to Love You", among many others.

I saw this movie last Fall during a family visit in Belgium. The early evening screening where I saw this at was quite well attended actually. I have no idea if or when this movie will make it to US theaters, although given the success on the art-house theater circuit of "The Untouchables", I wouldn't be surprised that this gets a US release at some point. Whether in the theater or eventually on DVD/Blu-ray, I encourage you to check this out and draw your own conclusions about "Samba", although in all honesty I cannot recommend this movie.

The Age of Adaline (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
The Age of Adaline (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
Price: $18.47

4.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars... Sentimental soundtrack strikes the right notes, May 20, 2015
I recently saw "The Age of Adaline" in the theater (more on that later). I made a mental note to check out the movie soundtrack later, and when I looked into it, I found that there are actually two separate soundtracks: there is the instrumental score of the movie (composed by Rob Simonsen), and then there is this, a collection of the songs that you year throughout the movie.

"The Age of Adaline - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack" (12 tracks; 49 min.) is a hodge-podge collection of songs which have mostly one thing in common: a sentimental undercurrent. The collection starts off with its most prominent artist, Bob Dylan, contributing "A Simple Twist of Fate". First, please note that this song actually appears midway during the movie, not upfront; second, is there anyone that does NOT have this song yet? I love the song, but it's time to retire it from being used in movies. The only other song that is most easily recognizable on here is Sam & Dave's "Gimme Some Lovin'" (which plays as Adaline drives across the Golden Gate Bridge like a madman). The rest of the collection are mostly unknown or at best vaguely familiar tunes for me, even if the artist is well known (check out Jefferson Airplane's "Comin' Back To Me", which plays during a flashback taking place in the 60s). I love the simplicity (in the best possible way) of the Skyliners' "Since I Don't Have You" and the infectious big band sound on "I've Got the Jitterbug" by Chick Webb & His Orchestra. But the very best track on here is of course Dexter Gordon's "The Rainbow People", here in a 9 min. studio version (the live version oftentimes stretched into 15+ min.). Not that you hear all of the 9 min. in the movie. In fact, most of the songs that are collected here are only sampled for a minute, if that much, in the movie. The last two are instrumental piano tunes from Stephen Lu.

As to the movie, it is a pleasant rom-com with a sci-fi twist (29 yr. old woman who hasn't aged a day since 1937). If it were me, the movie had explored in greater depth the psychological aspects of this situation: the utter loneliness of Adaline, and her relationship with Flemming, her daughter who now could easily pass for her grandmother. Instead, the movie plays is safe, and sticks to being a pleasant rom-com (with more romance than comedy). It makes for okay if unchallenging viewing. "The Age of Adaline", both the movie and the soundtrack, is worth checking out but keep your expectations in line.

The Age of Adaline
The Age of Adaline
Offered by Short-form Videos
Price: $0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars... The high price of eternal youth, May 20, 2015
This review is from: The Age of Adaline
(I am surprised that Amazon does not have a listing of this yet as a future DVD release, as it usually does for movies now playing in the theater. But to be clear: this is a review of the entire movie, not the trailer of the movie.)

"The Age of Adaline" (2015 release; 112 min.) brings the story of Adaline Bowman (played by Blake Lively). As the movie opens, we are told it is "San Francisco, December 31, 2014" and we see Adaline buying several falsified passports and ID documents. It isn't long before the movie flashes back in time and the voice-over explains that Adaline was born on January 1, 1908, but as the result of a freak accident in 1937, Adaline's body has stopped aging. Later on that New Year's Eve, Adaline meets Ellis Jones (played by Michiel Huisman), an impossibly nice (and rich) philanthropist. Along the way, we also get to know Adaline's daughter, who is now an old lady (played by Ellen Burstyn), who is the only person in the world who knows Adalin's secret. Or is she? And what will become of the spark between Adaline and Ellis? To tell you more would spoil your viewing experience, you'll just have to see for yourself how it all plays out.

Couple of comments: first, this is a rom-com with a sci-fi twist, namely the 29 yr. old woman who does not age. I loved the opening 15-20 min. of the movie, where we see in flashbacks over the years how Adaline lived through the 30s, 40s, and subsequent decades (that entire sequence reminded me a bit of Woody Allen's "Zelig", where Woody shows up in all kinds of famous scenes of history). The 'freak accident' that causes Adaline to stop aging is something you have to simply take at face value and accept, otherwise there is no point in watching. Unfortunately, after that, the movie becomes a fairly straight forward rom-com and, pleasant as it is, to me it feels like a bit of a lost opportunity. Yes, there are some hints as to the utter loneliness of Adaline (she has no friends to speak of), and yes, there are a couple of interesting scenes between 29 yr. old Adaline and her very old daughter, but the movie does not pursue these psychological angles deep enough for me. By the time the Big Twist comes deep into the movie (no worries, I won't spoil), it made things only worse for me as it seemed completely implausible, just like the 'freak accident' but this time I couldn't get over it. Still, I rate the movie 3.5 stars for several reasons: the lead performances are all good (besides Lively and Huisman, the latter being his first lead role in a US film, there is also Harrison Ford, as Ellis' dad); the movie's photography is tops--check out the visual eye-candy that is the San Francisco city scenery); and I really enjoyed the orchestral score, composed by Rob Simonsen). In the end, the movie flashed by in seemingly no time.

This movie has done rather well at the US box office these last couple of weeks, a bit to my surprise since this has gotten virtually no marketing support. The early evening screening where I saw this at here in Cincinnati was not well attended (and I'm being mild), but then again I saw it on a week night. If you are in the mood for a pleasant rom-com with a sci-fi twist, you cannot go wrong with this. If you have the opportunity to check out "The Age of Adaline", be it in the theater, on Amazon Instant Video, or eventually on DVD/Blu-ray, I'd encourage you to do so and draw your own conclusions.

Why Make Sense?
Why Make Sense?
Price: $11.99
36 used & new from $6.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back guys! We've missed ya!, May 19, 2015
This review is from: Why Make Sense? (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of UK-based Hot Chip since their 2006 sophomore album The Warning, still their most essential release to date with such classics as "Over and Over", "Boy From School" and "Colours". The band's output since then has been mixed, with some strong efforts (such as 2008's Made In the Dark) and some not so strong (such as their most recent album, 2012's In Our Heads). But a new release from Hot Chip is always an event to look forward to (at least for me), and now comes the band's latest album (the 6th one, not counting remix albums).

"Why Make Sense?" (10 tracks; 45 min.) opens with a delicious "Huarache Lights" (1st UK single), with an irresistible underlying groove and beat and it feels like it's the best track from Hot Chip in a long time. "Love Is the Future" continues that same vibe (albeit a bit lighter). The rest of Side A is markedly more subdued, in particularly "White Wine and Fried Chicken" (ha!). Side B opens with the excellent "Dark Night", a slowburner that is just mesmerizing. "Easy To Get" finds the band returning to its funkier sound. "Need You Now" (2nd UK single) is not to be confused with Cut Copy's song of the same name (although both songs are heavy on the dance grooves). After the pensive "So Much Further To Go", the album comes to a close with the excellent and drum-heavy title track, another highlight of the album. Bottom line: "Why Make Sense?" is (for me anyway) the band's best and most consistent album since "Made In the Dark", and a return to form. Even though it's been only 3 years since their previous album, it somehow feels like it's been a lot longer. "Why Make Sense?" proves that Hot Chip is relevant still.

I've had the good fortune of seeing Hot Chip in concert a number of times over the years, most memorably at various Coachella festivals (2007, 08 and 10), and live they never fail to deliver. I can only hope that they will add some more US dates (closer to Cincinnati) to their 2015 tour schedule. Would love to see these guys again. Meanwhile, "Why Make Sense" is a nice return to form for Hot Chip. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 21, 2015 8:25 PM PDT

Pitch Perfect 2: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Pitch Perfect 2: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Price: $11.88
44 used & new from $7.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Better/more complete than the first Pitch Perfect soundtrack, May 18, 2015
This past weekend I saw "Pitch Perfect 2" in the theater (more on that later). Having seen the movie leads of course inevitably to checking out the soundtrack.

"Pitch Perfect 2: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack" (18 tracks; 44 min.) collects the music that you hear in the movie, and pretty much in the order as it appears in the movie. We start off with an pretty hilarious a cappella take on the Universal movie studio fanfare (sung by no other than John Michael Higgins and Elizabeth Banks--Banks of course also directed and co-produced PP2). Next comes the Kennedy Center performance (where Fat Amy suffers a 'costume malfunction' of epic proportions, hence the fitting "Wrecking Ball" excerpt). The songs come flying fast and furious. The girls' big rival (the German band Das Sound Machine) certainly give the Bellas a run for their money, I love "Uprising/Tsunami". THE highlight of the movie and this soundtrack is the "Ripoff" between the 5 bands (10 songs covered in less than 5 min.--with nonstop energy). Likewise with the Bellas' "Back to Basics" medley (5 songs in less than 2 min.). And I kinda like it that they managed to get "Cups" into PP2 (albeit it in a 'campfire version'). The Bellas' World Championship Finale gave me goose bumps as I was watching it on the big screen.

In all, the soundtrack for PP2 is equally as good, if not better, than the PP soundtrack, and certainly more complete (remember the mess that was the original soundtrack for the first movie? of course, that was corrected in later reissued 'deluxe' and 'ultimate' versions). (Not onto this soundtrack are the two or three regular (i.e. not a cappella) songs that primarily play over the end titles.) As to the movie itself, kudos to Elizabeth Banks for delivering a sequel that gives the people/the fans pretty much exactly what they wanted: more of the same from Anna Kendrick, Rebel Wilson and the rest of the gang. The screening where I saw this at here in Cincinnati this weekend was absolutely PACKED, to nobody's surprise. The audience gave an ovation when the house lights came on as the end titles started to roll. Many of them left right away, and hence they missed a nice little bonus deep into the end titles (no worries, I won't spoil). Meanwhile, if you liked Pitch Perfect, you will love Pitch Perfect 2, both the movie and the soundtrack. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Pitch Perfect 2 (Blu-ray + DVD + DIGITAL HD)
Pitch Perfect 2 (Blu-ray + DVD + DIGITAL HD)
DVD ~ Anna Kendrick
Price: $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars "Aca-wedersehen, b*tches!".. the gang is back and better than ever!, May 17, 2015
"Pitch Perfect 2" (2015 release; 115 min.) opens with our beloved a cappella band the Bellas giving a performance at the Kennedy Center in the presence of President Obama, when Fat Amy encounters a 'costume malfunction' of epic proportions. As a result of this 'muffgate' incident, the Bellas are suspended but they manage to negotiate a loophole: win the a cappella world championships in Denmark, and they regain full standing. At this point we are 10 min. into the movie. Will the ladies be able to pull it off? To tell you more would spoil your viewing experience, you'll just have to see for yourself how it all plays out.

Couple of comments: first, this sequel is the full length feature directing debut of actress-producer Elizabeth Banks (she also reprises her role as Gail, the TV commentator), and Banks does a very capable job as director. The movie is paced perfectly, and even better, remains faithful to the spirit of the first Pitch Perfect. Let's face it, if you loved the first movie, all you want to see is the return of the original gang (mostly Anna Kendrick and Rebel Wilson, I suppose), and find excuses for them to sing and interact. This time around, the big rival for the girls is a German band called Das Sound Machine, and I have to admit, DSM sounds and performs impressively. We are also introduced to a new member of the Bellas, Emily (played by Hailee Steinfeld, the young girl in True Grit is now a young woman). Beware: there are plenty of fairly (c)rude jokes and lines in the movie (such as: Emily's last name is Junk-Hardon, no, really) so that even thought this movie is rated PG-13, frankly I wouldn't recommend taking young kids to this. Some of the better lines come from the TC commentators (played by Elizabeth Banks and John Michael Higgins), but my favorite comes from Anna Kendrick's Beca character, when she hisses back to her DSM rivals "aca-wedersehen, b*tches!", ha! The music is aplenty in this, even more so than in the first Pitch Perfect, and that's just fine by me (they even find a way of brining "Cups" back again). Bottom line: despite the high expectations, Banks & Co. have managed to deliver exactly what the people wanted from this sequel, not a small feat. Not surprisingly, there is already talk of a Pitch perfect 3, with Rebel Wilson already signed on. For my money, if they can't find a way of keeping Anna Kendrick around, my interest in another sequel will nosedive.

I saw the first Pitch Perfect knowing next to nothing about the movie, taking a flyer when it showed on its opening weekend. That screening was not all that well attended but I vividly remember how immensely I enjoyed that movie. Flash forward 3 years: I was really looking forward to seeing PP2. The early evening screening where I saw this at today (Sunday) was PACKED, and then some. The crowd absolutely ate it up, laughing at all the right times, and giving an applause when the house lights turned on. Many of them left as the movie's end titles started to run. A shame for them as they missed a very funny bonus extra which I won't spoil here. Just stick around when the end titles start running! Meanwhile, "Pitch Perfect 2" is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 18, 2015 4:52 AM PDT

Mad Max: Fury Road (Special Edition DVD + UltraViolet)
Mad Max: Fury Road (Special Edition DVD + UltraViolet)
Price: $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Charlize Theron steals the show: Mad Max reduced to a sidekick in his own franchise, May 16, 2015
"Mad Max Fury Road (3D)" (2915 release; 120 min.) brings another tale in the Mad Max franchise, which started in 1979). As the movie opens, we see Mad Max desperately trying to escape from the bad guys, as the voice over tells us that "I was reduced to a single instinct: survive!". But Max is captured. Next we get to know Furiosa, a lady as tough as nails from the first look. She is about to drive a heavily guarded rig to collect oil, but Furiosa changes course, and decides to head east. Why does Furiosa change direction? And what is she hiding on her rig? At this point we're maybe 10 min. into the movie, but to tell you more would spoil your viewing experience, you'll just have to see for yourself how it all plays out.

Couple of comments: first, if you had heard that the movie was in essence one long car chase, you have heard correctly. The story line is secondary at best, in fact it was pretty confusing at the start of the movie to figure out who is who, but in no time it comes down to "the good guys vs. the baddies". Second, let's cut straight to the chase here: are the car chasing sequences worth it? You betcha! It simply blew me away, and just when you think it can't get any crazier, it does! As can be expected, the final sequence (covering the last 20-25 min.) is of course the best. Third, Charlize Theron steals the movie with her performance as Furiosa, reducing Mad Max (played by Tom hardy) to a sidekick in his own franchise. It is unfair to Hardy, as Theron would've blown anyone else playing Mad Max away. Fourth, the score, composed by Junkie XL, is robust and matches the movie perfect. Last but not least, if you are wondering whether it is worth the extra money to see it in 3D, my answer is "probably not". This is the first movie I went to see in 3D in forever, and the 3D effects weren't all that impressive.

Having seen the trailer a number of times, I had been looking forward to seeing this for quite some time. The matinee screening where I saw this at was attended nicely (but by no means was sold out). Given the lofty expectations that this movie has induced in many, "Mad Max Fury Road" comes through very nicely. Forget about the story line, just enjoy the action sequences and the commanding performance by Charlize Theron. "Mad Max Fury Road" is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

An Encyclopedia of Claims, Frauds, and Hoaxes of the Occult and Supernatural
An Encyclopedia of Claims, Frauds, and Hoaxes of the Occult and Supernatural
Price: $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 Stars... "Fighting the fakers", May 15, 2015
This is a review of the recent documentary on James Randi called "An Honest Liar". I am really surprised that "An Honest Liar" is still not listed here on Amazon as a future DVD or Amazon Instant Video release, as it usually does for movies currently playing in the theater. But again, to be clear: this is a review "An Honest Liar" (which of course is based in part on this book "Encyclopedia Of Claims, Frauds and Hoaxes").

"An Honest Liar" (2014 release; 95 min.) is a documentary about the life and works of James "The Amazing" Randi, a magician and escape artist along the lines of the infamous Houdini. Like Houdini, Randi later becomes a fierce opponent/prosecutor of those who lie to and manipulate the public for personal and monetary gain (such as the so-called faith healers and those who proclaim to channel the dead).

Couple of comments: this documentary is co-directed by Tyler Measom (previously of "Sons of Perdition") and Justin Weinsteiny (previously of "Being Elmo"). In the early part of this documentary, we get an introduction as to Randi's background. Let me admit upfront that I had never heard of him. He left school at age 17 after having seen a magician's show in Toronto, deciding that he wanted to become "the next Houdini". By all means, Randi built a fabulous career (there are multiple clips from the Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson). But things get a lot more interesting of course, once Randi decides (in the 1980s) to devote his efforts to exposing the cheaters and manipulators. The expose on self-proclaimed faith healer Peter Popoff is nothing short of brilliant (and stunning). "We're fighting the fakers", exclaims Randi. Towards the end of the documentary, when we get a taste of Randi's current personal life, there are a couple of further twists which I did not see coming (but I won't spoil here).

"An Honest Liar" opened at my local art-house theater here in Cincinnati in early April. The early evening screening where I saw this at was quite well attended, somewhat to my surprise. In the end, I found "An Honest Liar" an okay documentary, but not as compelling as other such recent documentaries like "Finding Vivian Maier", just to name that one. Still, if you are into documentaries, "An Honest Liar" is worth checking out, be it in the theater, or eventually on Amazon Instant Video or DVD/Blu-ray.

Alone in Antarctica: The First Woman To Ski Solo Across The Southern Ice
Alone in Antarctica: The First Woman To Ski Solo Across The Southern Ice
by Felicity Aston
Price: $19.71
62 used & new from $8.10

4.0 out of 5 stars Another "extreme cold weather" adventure memoir, May 14, 2015
"Alone in Antarctica" (2013 publication; 253 pages) is the retelling by British explorer Felicity Aston about her (and the first woman to do so) ski solo across the Antarctica. By the time Aston undertook this bold journey in late 2011/early 2012, she already was a well-established and recognized extreme-sports explorer, having been to the South Pole already a number of times. But this was going to be quite a different (tougher) challenge: trekking the 1,000 miles or so across the continent completely by herself.

The book opens when she is dropped off at the starting point of her journey and she realizes that this is IT. "This was what it feels like at being so alone. Every fibre of my body was yelling at me that something was terribly, terribly wrong." We then step back and peek over the author's shoulders as she is preparing for the trip. Along the way we get multiple mentions of reference points on Antarctica (Beardmore, Ross Ice Shelf, Skelton Glacier, etc.) yet, incredibly, there is not a single map of Antarctica anywhere in the book. I was floored by this omission, to be honest. Not a single person at the publisher thought of this? We are at page 61 of the book when the author has completed her first full day of trekking. The author documents her travails quite nicely, and we wonder along with her as she doubts whether she can complete the journey in time (even if of course we already know the outcome of it all). "There would be no disgrace in explaining that I had gone to Antarctica to find my limits and that this was where I had found them" (when she reaches the South Pole, about 1/3rd into her journey). Along the way, the author comes to this realization: "I found that, with life at its most basic and my spirit stretched, what was most dear to me was memories of time spent with those I love". I think we can all relay to that!

The book's flap references Cheryl Strayed's "Wild" as a good comparison for "Alone in Antractica" but I beg to differ and would offer something like Jon Krakauer's "Into Thin Air" and the myriads of other such 'extreme cold weather' adventure books as a more likely comparison. I quite liked "Alone in Antarctica" even though I had a hard time getting over he book's glaring omission of not having a single map.

White God
White God
DVD ~ Sandor Zsoter
Price: $26.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Dog-centric Hungarian movie is worthwhile (but beware the--staged--dog fights), May 13, 2015
This review is from: White God (DVD)
"White God" (2014 release from Hungary; 121 min.) brings the story of Lili and her dog Hagen. As the movie opens, we see the young Lili (12 yrs. old or so) in a dream sequence, where she biking through an empty city (I think Budapest), and eventually overrun by dozens of dogs (which is what you see on the jacket cover of the DVD). After the opening titles, we get to know Lili and Hagen. Lili's mom is going out of town for a long time to Australia, and hence Lili needs to go live with her dad. Complicating things is that her dad's apartment building doesn't allow "mutts" (i.e. mixed-breed street dogs). It isn't long before Lili and her dad are fighting about the dog, leading to her dad releasing the dog somewhere in the middle of the city. What will become of Lili and of Hagen? Will they ever see ech other again? To tell you more would spoil your viewing experience, you'll just have to see for yourself how it all plays out.

Couple of comments: first, despite the sweet-sounding premise that I described above, please be aware that this is a tough and at times gruesome movie, and most certainly NOT recommended for young children. The scene where a cow is cut open (for the meat inspector--i.e. Lili's dad), is horrendous and completely unnecessary. Equally bad: there is a long stretch in the movie where Hagan is trained to become an underground fighter dog. The only thing I could think of during the tough-as-nails dog fights is the movie's prominent disclaimer at the very beginning that no animals were hurt during the making of the movie. Second, at heart, the movie combines two major themes into one movie: the dog's (mis)adventures in surviving the city, and Lili's awkward/stunted relationship with her dad, whom she is not particularly close to. It's sometimes a strange mix, as we literally go from one to the other, and back again, but it never makes for dull viewing. Last but not least, this is a cast of unknowns (for me anyway), but there are some terrific performances, none more so than the girl playing Lili.

"White God" showed up out of the blue and without any pre-release hype at my local art-house theater here in Cincinnati and I finally had a chance to check it out. The weeknight evening screening where I saw this at was attended okay but not great. I can't imagine that this will hang around a long time in the theater. Regardless, if you are in the mood for a foreign movie that is MILES away from your standard Hollywood fare, you may want to check this out if you get the chance.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20