Profile for Timothy B. Holt > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 29

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Timothy B. Holt "Go into the western sea" RSS Feed (Santa Cruz and World Surfing Capital)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Bird of Paradise
Bird of Paradise
DVD ~ Louis Jourdan
Price: $12.99
21 used & new from $10.74

5.0 out of 5 stars I think most of these bad reviews are complaining about the dark night and indoor ..., November 7, 2014
This review is from: Bird of Paradise (DVD)
Actually while I wish it were a pressed disk not a DVD-R paper and dye one by one product. But, I think most of these bad reviews are complaining about the dark night and indoor sequences. Anybody who has been in the tropics can see this filming as quite naturalistic (extreme color and brilliance to dark) and I think it was intended as such. People tend to forget that on such an island at such a time there were only oil lamps and torches mostly for fishing. Seeing it on TV (in black and white) in the 60's as a 8 year old boy I really felt heartstuck by Debra Paget and never forgot it and looked for years for it (what it was and how to buy it). Seeing it now I appreciate the well researched way the Polynesians were shown and while a bit too modest for me it was well done and gave me just a tingle of slipping into childhood feelings of far away places and romance. I always wished I could save women from their volcanos of pain and self hurt but it is not possible.

Catch Me A Spy
Catch Me A Spy
DVD
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Actually this is a spy comedy and it is quite well written and funny., March 30, 2014
I was surprised to see this my Mill Creek 50 film $9 collection. It is really a comedy and quite cute. The transfer is not great, but 40 cents I do not care. Kirk Douglas fans should likely stay away (I do love him in as Ulysses in Carlo Ponti's film with Rosanna Podesta (I would have married Nusica and stayed but ..) You have to think of this a bit as Micheal Cain in Austen Powers Gold Member. He is having fun. There is a lot of British humor and it is just making fun of the whole spy world with a French actress playing a cute central role. Scene of sadly inept Tom Courtenay sent out of the office to spy on the young lady and Chech like polka music as she out runs him and eventully surprizes him tired and dishevled in a restaurant to bravely ask "what's up". Trevor Howard is always great (Think of the film "The Liquidator" another surprize fun spy spoof with a handsome actor playing against type). I laughed a lot and thought well that is a cute little gem I never knew about.

The Complete Aubrey/Maturin Novels (Vol. 5 volumes)  (Aubrey/Maturin Novels)
The Complete Aubrey/Maturin Novels (Vol. 5 volumes) (Aubrey/Maturin Novels)
by Patrick O'Brian
Price: $153.27
38 used & new from $125.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice collection but pages delicate and I prefer the paperbacks for beach reading., May 14, 2013
I bought this set in January 2008. It is really a fascinating read for somebody like myself who has sailed across oceans in sailboats and on tankers and cargo ships (I have an expired ship's masters license USCG). I have always loved the sea and ships and I know quite a bit about sea life (reading Oceanic Birds of South America as a teenager - which I own as well) and Darwin's voyage on the Beagle etc. You have to love fine details and love the idea of living in the past. Well written and a good escape for me. I just felt too protective of this set and left it on the shelf and am selling it. The typos have been discussed but I do not know because I never took the pretty volumes off the shelf. The pages are thin but of good quality. But I just bought ten more paperbacks to round out the ten I had I found in a used book shops over the years. Better for me not to worry when I throw it into a bag and head for the beach.

Busby Berkeley Collection, The (10-Pack)
Busby Berkeley Collection, The (10-Pack)
Price: $27.22
11 used & new from $26.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Fragile set will break DVD trays easily., January 5, 2013
I have no doubt that this is a good collection in terms of material. I have now ordered the 6 film set with individual covers per movie (and art). This arrived today with the trays internally in pieces and unusable (caused by shaking not pressure). I would not recommend this collection due to the disk tray fragility. Another customer had the same experience.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Part of this is a beautifully illustrated tale of adventure in the south seas, December 8, 2011
I borrowed this set from Bowdoin Library in Brunswick, Maine as a child in the 70's that professors there recalled it on me several times. Steamer ducks in Tierra Del Fuego...Wandering Albatross on the high seas. Diaries of ocean passages. Much of the science is now superceded by new knowledge but "R.H.Beck" and "R.C.Murphy" left a nice tale of the 1930's with reference to past explorers of the southern seas here. The beautiful plates are worth the price alone. This later release that I have has the plates at the end of the pages. No doubt automation made inserting plates with onion skin paper protectors expensive. For me the delight of finding a plate with Larus Dominicanus (Southern Black Backed Gull) under a thin sheet of paper was a good memory. The Humbolt current like the Davis current off California coming from the slower speed of a rotation at higher latitudes (the pole has no circular motion, you know) is lazy and drags to the west causing water from the depths to replace it. Cold deep water is why California and Peru and Chile have so much fog and cold and SEA LIFE. Yeah! But not so nice for swimming if not in a wetsuit. The Monarch butterflies in the Eucalyptus trees by my house have flown after a gift of a 75F Sunday.
I would say that these 2 volumes are only worth owning if you love books and like the idea of exploring the South American coasts in the 1930's. Indiana Jones it is not. A Schooner with a bird collector and likely the smell of stuffed bird skins readied for a New York museum is what you have. Just realize that for me this was a great escape. And I did end up seening as second mate on a long trip from Texas to Mombassa, Kenya as Second Officer, Wandering albatross, cory's shearwaters, Thin billed prions, Cape Pigeons, Kergulen petrels, Shoemaker petrels, greater shearwaters, .... And I was thrilled to round the Cape of Good Hope and have finned and Minke whales for companions...

Kilvert's Diary: 1870-1879: Life in the English Countryside in Mid-Victorian Times
by Robert Francis Kilvert
48 used & new from $2.98

5.0 out of 5 stars If you believe in an all powerful God then beauty is his work and love of people and nature follow when they delight., October 5, 2011
Poor Kilvert.
He died a couple monthes after getting married. Likely a change of diet from his simple tastes. He LOVED beauty of flowers, snow showers, flower lined lanes, blue skies, bright eyes, lithe limbs and listened to the very old and the very young with great delight and love. He cared very much for all his parisheners but suffers in reputation because he was delighted in beauty of girls too much (He saw them as he saw daffodils...Is this within your comprehension?). He also showed a love of the strange ways of the old and the sad. This book is excerpts combined with pressed flowers and little water colors of houses, and some photos. There is almost nothing like this book to take one to another time and place and to breathe and to see the sunshine and also to see the hard suffering of another time (we have such security but so many cannot see the beauty Kivert wrote about when contrasted with such hard times and ice in the water in the morning).

Gilbert & Sullivan: Iolanthe
Gilbert & Sullivan: Iolanthe
DVD ~ Derek Hammond-Stroud
8 used & new from $3.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Shoo Shoo Spiders in Cobwebs of Time, October 5, 2011
This review is from: Gilbert & Sullivan: Iolanthe (DVD)
NO! NO! This is a beautiful production. Fairy Queen above hasten to my aid! The low review for this is based on it as an English TV production that is not on the stage..... Listen. This is beautifully sung. The High Lord Chanceller does know how to dive into a cockney accent for his fever dreams inspired by Love. Can you blame him?! There was a news reel shown when Strephon worked for a seat in parliment. Awful, wonderful, delightful? There is a foregroud artificial fire lighting up all the fairy aunts and a green field and a sheep caressed - good or bad or a dream - I do not know for you. Ladies laughing, legs waving from legal benches - horrible or wonderful - I think wonderful. I believe you will not find such delight and such beauty and such bliss in any live production today. Yes, nice to pay people for live productions and DO SO. But this is a delight for me and when people put it down with prejudice, I think - COBWEBS of mind. HIDE! Let us celibrate and laugh. And by the way, do you remember 'Beverly Mills' at all? I do as a man and she just shines as Iolanthe. But so do Derek Hammond Stroud and Kate Flowers and and and. No.... The whole series is a heaven on earth. Bless you good folk who recorded this.

Much Ado About Nothing
Much Ado About Nothing
DVD ~ Kenneth Branagh
Offered by SDE62
Price: $14.39
75 used & new from $2.96

5.0 out of 5 stars For 8 bucks the most to die for dream of experience at the price., July 3, 2011
This review is from: Much Ado About Nothing (DVD)
Beauty. Enchantment. Tears. Landscape. Buttucks. Laughs. Sweet songs. Sad Songs. Arguments. And all of my favorite actors and actrices together. Phyllyda Law (spelled wrongly), Brian Blessed. And My god above Richard Briers, and the then married and cutest most intelligent couple on the planet Emma Thomson (daughter of the aforesaid Law) and the mover of it all Kenneth Branach (bless the boy!) it is a steal. It has the entertainment value of a century. Music. Joy. Sadness. Tears. and Love and Bliss.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 31, 2011 11:26 PM PDT

Howard Zinn: You Can't Be Neutral On a Moving Train -- Special Commemorative Edition
DVD ~ Howard Zinn
Price: $15.13
23 used & new from $8.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Love him. But I have no hope., January 9, 2011
In times of abundance and relative wealth and peace, you can think about it, but in the horror of the bad times that one can see occuring every century going back to the end of history, the foul murderers and sociopaths have gained ground by killing all the folk who thought "Justice", "Love", "Peace". The Murderers think they are the moral and blessed ones because they are rich and evidently blessed by the GODs above. Horror prevails and even features in all the fantasy games and films our youth adore. Is there a way to cut the cancer of greedy, corrupt murderous, self agrandizing horrible monsters from this planet. Yet they STAR in TV shows and are adored. I give up. They think they are saints and they are no better than flesh eating beetles. GO FIGURE. "The Peoples History of The United States" just shows how cruel and brutal people are often the successful and those who stop to smell the flowers are hit on the back of the head by laughing ReUglicans.

Swept From the Sea
Swept From the Sea
DVD ~ Rachel Weisz
Offered by The Squirrel with the Dragon Tattoo
Price: $59.99
11 used & new from $14.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Conrad. To a Seafarer is a god., January 7, 2011
This review is from: Swept From the Sea (DVD)
Well. Tom Jones IS my favorite video (of the TV series fame ... Henry Fielding would just be so happy to have seen it!!!!.. ) but this with my God of music John Barry, and God of literature "Joseph Conrad" as a focus to those you were brave and who dared.... I have worked on the sea, on ships, and lived as an outcast... For a romance, drama, mystery, historical, play... this movie blows, "Lord of the Rings", "Marnie", "Gone with the wind", all Thomas Hardy movies, "A year of living dangerously", "far from the madding crowd".... and more away. HEART. CORAZON. COEUR. Do you have the ability to see the person behind the prejudice?? Can you dance? Must you close the door of your expensive metal machine with 4 synthetic rubber tires and a multiple horrible electronic systems from being able to walk for 6 miles in freezing rain to save the one you love who does not understand yet you love them???

Page: 1 | 2 | 3