Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Sweepstakes in Prime Music Outdoor Deals on HTL
Profile for Pilar Arsenec - Ordinary Servant Book Reviews > Reviews

Pilar Arsenec - ...'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 190

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Pilar Arsenec - Ordinary Servant Book Reviews RSS Feed (New York/New Jersey)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
Queenz Of The Streetz
Queenz Of The Streetz

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story, November 1, 2015
This is my first introduction to this author's work. Queenz of the Streetz was a good story. This is a nice introduction and debut for this young author.

I would have rated it higher if it were not for all the errors, and typos I encountered throughout the book, which I believe could have been avoided by utilizing a proper editor.

Overall, I rate this book three stars, because the story is good, and I see potential and creativity in this young author. I look forward to watching her grow as a writer.

The Bishop's Mistress
The Bishop's Mistress
by Mr CJ Miller
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing!, November 1, 2015
This review is from: The Bishop's Mistress (Paperback)
The Bishop's Mistress is about a good looking, prominent and anointed Bishop James, who is married to a wealthy white woman by the name of Janice. He loves Janice, but falls from grace by having a steamy, and passionate affair with one of his church members; a sexy, attractive black woman by the name of Kerrah. Kerrah happens to be married to Patrick, who is a dangerous drug dealer.

Patrick finds out that Kerrah is cheating on him with the Bishop and the consequences that spiral out of his discovery will leave you in suspense.

I really enjoyed this book, it draws you in from the very start and continues throughout the entire book. There is a moral and message to this story, without feeling like you're being preached at. I highly recommend it.

Godly Freedom: Christian Devotional Readings from 1 Corinthians (Ordinary Believer Devotionals) (Volume 1)
by Rebecca Livermore
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Practical and Useful Devotional, October 20, 2015
"Godly Freedom" is a daily devotional based on the first book of Corinthians. There are twenty-five devotions in total.

What I enjoyed the most about this devotional is the stories Rebecca Livermore shares and the section dedicated toward application.

I find that most devotionals today, do not include a section toward application. How one applies the Word of God practically into their life. Which is why I appreciated and gleaned from this devotional, because it's one of my personal struggles.

All and all, I found this to be a practical and useful devotional, which I highly recommend.

Color. Cut. Clarity
Color. Cut. Clarity
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Off The Hook!, September 19, 2015
This story was about three young girls Michelle, Bridget and Darlene, who grow up in the hood, and call themselves, the Precious Jewels crew. Michelle, the main protagonist, through a series of events, becomes the leader of the crew and the youngest Queen pin.

Color. Cut. Clarity. is about love, lies, secrets, betrayal, murder and treachery at best, and how it plays out with surprising twists and turns.

June Miller is a beast with his pen, and a phenomenal story teller. His characters are well developed and real. Reading this book was like watching a movie or being on a roller coaster ride.

The ending alone was pure fire. I sincerely hope June Miller writes a sequel because I want to know what happens next.

Writing Day In and Day Out: Living a Practice of Words
Writing Day In and Day Out: Living a Practice of Words

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational!, September 6, 2015
I have been following Andi's blog for a few years now. I always resonate with her content. I believe she is a gifted writer. Her writing is warm, graceful and wise. I was excited when I found out she came out with this book, Writing Day In and Day Out.

Once I started reading this short, but impactful book, I couldn't put it down. It is rich, inspiring and encouraging. I woke up this morning ready to write because of her powerful words.

If you struggle with writing, or giving yourself permission to write, you will find this book so helpful. Andi Cumbo-Floyd offers you practical tips and advice on how to overcome the obstacles that prevent you from writing, day in and day out.

I guarantee you, you will love this short, but insightful book. Writing Day In and Day Out is a book I will go back to again and again. I highly recommend it.

Eye of the Beholder
Eye of the Beholder
by Elissa Gabrielle
Price: $15.00
12 used & new from $11.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The Power of Love, September 6, 2015
This review is from: Eye of the Beholder (Paperback)
I heard great things about Eye of the Beholder. So when I received it as a complimentary copy in exchange for a review, I was excited to read it.

Eye of the Beholder had to do with a man by the name of Jerusalem Jones who winds up in the hospital after being injured in war. God spared his life, however, his face and parts of his body were severely damaged. He was in pain physically and emotionally. He was despondent and lost all hope, in a way, he wished he had died. But, in walks Jill, the nurse assigned to his care. She sees he has given up, and is determined to change all that. She slowly nurses him back to health; not only physically, but mentally, emotionally and spiritually too. In the process, they fall in love.

The one thing that stood out for me in this story is the power of unconditional love. Jill was selfless and poured into Jerusalem. She demonstrated what love in action looks like.

Elissa Gabrielle's writing style is rich, poetic and lyrical. Eye of the Beholder is a beautiful and touching story which I highly recommend.

No Regrets
No Regrets
by Antoine Inch Thomas
Price: $15.00
22 used & new from $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps You Guessing, August 24, 2015
This review is from: No Regrets (Paperback)
No Regrets is about a young boy growing up in the Edenwald Projects in the Bronx. The protagonist Tone gets his start in the drug game by watching his sister Crystal's boyfriend, Bo.

Tone grew up struggling in a single parent's home. He wanted to give his mother a better life, and himself as well. At the age of twelve, he begins by helping his sister bag. But he had higher aspirations, so he begins to sell drugs.

Through a twist of events, he meets a major connect, and starts moving major dope to big players. However, due to an unfortunate incident, the police began searching for Tone, until they surrounded him in a major road block.

Antoine "Inch" Thomas is a creative writer who has the uncanny ability to keep you guessing and in suspense. I highly recommend this book.

Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Real, Raw and Gritty, August 23, 2015
This review is from: B MORE CAREFUL (Kindle Edition)
B-More Careful was a raw and gritty account of what takes place in the life of the streets. The premise of the story was based on betrayal, deception and treachery.

I would have rated this book five stars had it not been for the excessive typos and grammatical errors I came across. Nevertheless, Shannon Holmes is an exceptional and talented writer.

B-More Careful was fast paced. I was able to visualize and feel everything as if I was there.

I admit, I had a difficult time getting through this story. The characters and content felt so real to me. In reading this story, which took place in Baltimore, I came to understand the realities of the streets. The game is certainly not a lifestyle I would want to be a part of, because of all the danger, backstabbing, jealousy, envy, betrayal, greed and revenge which is paramount.

B-More Careful emphasized the life of drugs, money, sex and murder. There is nothing glamorous or attractive about it based on what I read. This story made me sad.

Shannon Holmes did not sugar coat anything. He gave it to you straight and to the point. The characters who stood out for me were Black, Netta and Mimi. Black and Netta being the most ruthless of them all.

Unfortunately, there was no happy Hollywood ending either. All in all, B-More Careful taught me a great deal and opened my eyes to the harsh realities of a world I knew very little about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal!, August 2, 2015
This review is from: CRUSH (Kindle Edition)
What can I add to the three hundred plus five star reviews for this book? Other than if I could rate it ten stars I would.

This is the first book I've read by Ivy Symone, and I absolutely loved it. Her character development, plot, pacing and comedic flare is simply amazing. The ending was shocking, and I can't wait to read the sequel to find out what happens next.

Ivy Symone is an incredibly talented author, and I look forward to reading more of her work. Needlless to say, I highly recommend this book.

Caught Up
Caught Up

4.0 out of 5 stars Suspenseful!, July 13, 2015
This review is from: Caught Up (Kindle Edition)
This is my first book that I've read by Shannon Holmes. I read "Caught Up" in three hours.

The story is about a young woman by the name of Dixyn who is in love and lives with a hustler named Bryce. They both have a small daughter together. On the night he proposes to her, their house was raided by the DEA and he gets arrested. He goes to prison and Dixyn is left to pick up the pieces.

It was difficult for her to say the least, because she was accustomed to living a lavish lifestyle. But as the bills poured in, she quickly discovered she had to make some moves in order not to lose the house and car. She only had a high school diploma and no job training whatsoever.

Dixyn reaches out to her friend, Kendra who then exposes her into an unfamiliar world. A world where she makes some hard choices and compromises in order to keep afloat.

It is in this same world where she meets Bryce's brother, Brian Winters, who goes by B-Dub, where things go from bad to worst.

"Caught Up" is suspenseful, and the type of book where you don't want to put it down because you want to see what will happen next.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19