Profile for Kindle Customer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 231

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kindle Customer "soul_survivor" RSS Feed (Burien, WA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Flash: Rebirth
The Flash: Rebirth
Price: $9.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Too complicated for my taste, October 23, 2014
The last time I read FLASH, it was the late 1980s and Wally West had become the adult Flash. These stories, written by William Messner-Loebs, were perfect: intelligent enough to be interesting, but not too complicated to be arcane.

Unfortunately I can't say the same about this sequence. Apparently there's a lot of complicated continuity that I've missed over the last 25 years, and if you haven't been following this, you will probably have no idea what's going on here. It's extremely talky, with a lot of dialogue and discussion and exposition but not much plot. I read the first half and put it aside.

I'll give it 3 stars because I really like the artwork ---- great layouts and inking --- but the story is convoluted and uninvolving. There's just too much detail for someone who isn't "in the know" to follow the story, and there's way too much talk.

Scalia: A Court of One
Scalia: A Court of One
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $14.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting, fascinating, hard to put down. Made ..., July 14, 2014
Riveting, fascinating, hard to put down. Made me think about Scalia's career and legal philosophy in a new way. I may not agree with him on most issues, but reading extensive quotes from his opinions and speeches made me think. A highly readable and compelling biography.

Tour De Force: Live in London - Hammersmith Apollo
Tour De Force: Live in London - Hammersmith Apollo
Price: $14.88
33 used & new from $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Performances, June 1, 2014
This is part of a four-concert set released on video last year. While the decision to fade out at the end of each track is strange, it doesn't alter the quality of the performances; and these are some of Joe's finest work. I have all his other live releases, and I think he has really outdone himself here.

I understand the objections other reviewers have posted here, as the sound fades after each track, as on a studio record. You do hear applause, but no inter-song chit-chat or band introductions. For me, it doesn't overcome the quality of this music, which is as good as it gets. For the concert experience, I still have the shows on Blu-Ray.

I have to recommend this set to all Joe Bonamassa fans, unless the fades really bother you.

Bathed in Lightning: John McLaughlin, the 60s and the Emerald Beyond
Bathed in Lightning: John McLaughlin, the 60s and the Emerald Beyond
by Colin Harper
Price: $14.67
58 used & new from $10.78

2.0 out of 5 stars Tough Going, May 2, 2014
I've only read the first 80 pages of this book, but I'm already skimming. The huge accumulation of data about the British rock scene is frequently overwhelming; it's like a Facebook page for a group of people in their 60s reminiscing about "back in the day." The author goes into great detail about who played where and when, but he buries the story under the welter of forensic information.

The book also suffers from its lack of focus. The topic, supposedly, is John McLaughlin and the Mahavishnu Orchestra. However, the author spends page after page talking about people like Dufffy Power (whoever he was) whose relationship with McLaughlin was tangential at best.

I'll probably keep browsing through the rest of the book, as there are occasional nuggets of interesting information, but the narrative here is weighed down by the sheer volume of data, most of which is not very interesting to people who want to learn about McLaughlin.

Meeting of the Spirits
Meeting of the Spirits
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A great tribute album, April 20, 2014
This review is from: Meeting of the Spirits (MP3 Music)
With original Mahavishnu Orchestra member Billy Cobham on drums, this album presents horn-based arrangements of MO classics. Not surprisingly they sound a lot like Billy's early 70s work after leaving MO. This is a good thing. The drumming is incredible, the horn arrangements are spectacular, and the whole band kicks serious butt. This is a must-have if you're a fan of the original Mahavishnu Orchestra.

Amazon Fire TV
Amazon Fire TV
Price: $99.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A Step in the Right Direction, April 6, 2014
This review is from: Amazon Fire TV (Electronics)
I originally bought a Kindle Fire to watch streaming video. I don't like sitting at the computer and my smartphone was a little small.

I duly upgraded to a Kindle Fire HD, then a Kindle Fire HDX. The latest version offers mirroring, which means you can watch video from your Kindle on your TV. This works fine, except that the picture quality is mediocre, and the sound is nothing to write home about. I have a 6.1 surround sound system and a large collection of Blu-Rays, so I'm a bit spoiled when it comes to fidelity.

With the Fire TV, it's a big step forward. The picture quality is astonishing; almost as good as Blu-Ray. There's an option for connecting the unit to my surround sound system (just need to buy the cable).

The unit is very easy to set up and use, and the voice search is nice; but as most people know by now, it works mostly with Amazon Prime. On my setup it does access Hulu Plus (sometimes), but with Netflix, you have to use the manual search method.

Also, the music on your Kindle is not available.

So, while it's a great improvement, there's still a way to go before it's really a killer product. However, I didn't really love the Kindle Fire until I got the HDX; so I'm confident that later versions of Fire TV will make major improvements.

However, if you don't have Amazon Prime and/or own a Kindle, this unit may not be the best choice for you.

Guitar Supreme: Giant Steps in Fusion Guitar
Guitar Supreme: Giant Steps in Fusion Guitar
Price: $16.17
27 used & new from $4.10

4.0 out of 5 stars Led me back to Coltrane!, March 28, 2014
I don't generally expect much from tribute albums, but the reviews interested me enough to find out for myself. I found this set very enjoyable, although it's true that there isn't a great deal of variety in the style. But there's some great guitar work, and for me it helps to revisit Coltrane's music from this different perspective.

Most importantly, listening to this disc brought me back to the source. I hadn't listened to Coltrane much in recent years, but listening to these tracks inspired me to cue up some Trane, and I've found that I'm appreciating his music to a degree that I didn't before. I've also bought more Coltrane albums and discovered some new favorites.

So, if the purpose of a tribute album is to interest more people in the original music, this one is a home run.

Live in Amsterdam
Live in Amsterdam
Price: $15.88
41 used & new from $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, March 25, 2014
This review is from: Live in Amsterdam (Audio CD)
I liked the first two studio albums by Beth Hart and Joe Bonamassa, but this live set gives a whole new meaning to the phrase, "Knock your socks off." Beth Hart has one of the greatest voices of all time. It's rather like a combination of Janis Joplin, Bessie Smith, Billy Holliday and Aretha Franklin rolled into one (although she sounds most like Janis). Her singing has a raw power that will blow you across the room and back again.

I'm also a huge Joe Bonamassa fan, and while Joe doesn't sing or do any of his songs here, he surpasses himself on several tracks.

This set is hot stuff. You should buy it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 16, 2014 7:00 AM PDT

Superman (2011- ) #1
Superman (2011- ) #1
Offered by DC Comics
Price: $0.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Not much to see here, December 22, 2013
This was a dull story. Superman fights a big fire creature, and ... defeats it. That's all.

Makes me nostalgic for the goofy stories of my youth. At least comics didn't take themselves so seriously in those days.

The New Yorker (Kindle Tablet Edition)
The New Yorker (Kindle Tablet Edition)
Offered by Condé Nast
Price: $0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars They Ruined it!, September 15, 2013
Until today I would have rated this app 5 stars, easily. Elegant, well-laid out, easy to use, a pleasure to read. Now, suddenly, there's a new "improved" version. What's improved? Nothing, really. There are now three type sizes for each page. Sounds like a good idea, right? Well, the three type choices are sub-microscopic, microscopic, and infinitesimal. In short, it's virtually impossible to read. Even someone with 20-20 vision would probably have difficulty.

It's a shame. For the last few months I've looked forward to downloading the new issue each Monday. My print copy is not always delivered on time, and the old app was so nicely done it was almost enough. Now, it's completely unusable.

So, I guess I'll just have to go back to the old-fashioned way of doing things.

(I'm referring to the KindleFire HD version; there is no app available for my phone, and the screen is too small anyway.)

The older issues are still readable, by the way; so it's not completely useless, after all. Apparently the print version has been redesigned, so the new format has something to do with that. Still, that's no excuse for getting the app wrong.

UPDATE: I recently upgraded to a Kindle Fire HDX, and the app isn't available for that version, so the whole matter is moot. Bah!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 30, 2013 7:11 AM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20