Profile for Chela Wallace > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Chela Wallace "words & music" RSS Feed (Beaverton, OR USA)

Dead in a Ditch
Dead in a Ditch
by Jody Seay
Price: $20.84
28 used & new from $18.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, warm, touching and thought-provoking, October 5, 2011
This review is from: Dead in a Ditch (Paperback)
In this, Jody Seay's "memoir, of sorts," I found much to delight in, laugh at, cry with and in general, enjoy with a very full heart. Seay's exquisite use of metaphor and description give an immediate sense of time and place, along with insightful and often funny characterizations of her siblings whom their mother was sure would end up "dead in a ditch." In reading these many essays about growing up in Texas as part of a large family, it is a wonder Seay survived some of the adventures she (often in the company of her siblings) got herself into; my best guess is that she is one lucky lady. She's also a talented storyteller who easily conveys the warmth she feels for her characters and her life, as well as the wisdom she's gained from her years of living in the most human terms possible. There's much here to relate to, learn from, and rejoice in. More than once she brought me to tears of laughter and shared sorrow. A wonderful read!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 10, 2011 8:00 PM PDT

Heart of a Shepherd
Heart of a Shepherd
by Rosanne Parry
Price: $14.39
95 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars My 10-year-old son and I both loved this book!, June 29, 2009
This review is from: Heart of a Shepherd (Hardcover)
I chose this book as summer reading for my 10-year-old son. I'd heard it was well-written, set in my home state of Oregon and was about a boy approximately my son's age. Even though we don't live in Eastern Oregon where the book takes place, my son thoroughly enjoyed it, feeling that in many ways he could relate to Ignatius (Brother), the protagonist, as he deals with his changing world and growing responsibility.

After my son finished it, I picked it up and read it in three sittings. I was totally engrossed, taken in by the interwoven themes of family, duty, faith and the way the natural world impacts the characters.

I recommend this book to not only tweens, but their parents, as well. Rosanne Parry is a strong writer, with a clear sense of voice and the ability to poetically describe vivid landscapes, both the external setting of the story and the internal lives of the characters. And I would love to see "Heart of a Shepherd" made into a movie, set in my beautiful state; while reading, I couldn't help but picturing Robert Duvall in the role of Grandpa.

Writer Mama: How to Raise a Writing Career Alongside Your Kids
Writer Mama: How to Raise a Writing Career Alongside Your Kids
by Christina Katz
135 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Gets the Ball Rolling, February 8, 2009
This is a great book for anyone starting out in the non-fiction writing genre. It's geared towards moms, but works for anyone who has a limited amount of time to dedicate to their writing career. It's full of practical advice, presented in an uplifting, often humorous, and easy-to-read format. Christina's experience and successes show through on every page, inspiring the reader and de-mystifying the process of getting published.

I took Christina's workshop at a children's writing conference, won the book as a door prize and just a few short months later, sold my first feature to a local newspaper. I've gone on to place pieces in national publications (including a story in the upcoming book, Chicken Soup for the Soul: Twins and More: 101 Stories Celebrating Double Trouble and Multiple Blessings on sale March 2009) and feel jazzed and optimistic about my future successes. I wouldn't have known how - or been inspired - to get my work out there if it hadn't been for Christina's book. I highly recommend it!