Profile for John McKown > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 62

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

John McKown "Linux user" RSS Feed (Dallas, TX)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
POWER A DualShock 4 Controller Charging Station for PlayStation 4
POWER A DualShock 4 Controller Charging Station for PlayStation 4
Price: $22.46
24 used & new from $20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well for me., July 10, 2014
Very good. I probably don't really need a dual charger. But this one works very well. I have two controllers, which I alternate so as not to exhaust the charge. This sits solidly where I put it. And it holds the controllers firmly. So I don't have any worries about something falling accidently.

To Be Loved
To Be Loved
Price: $11.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, ease to listen to., July 10, 2014
This review is from: To Be Loved (MP3 Music)
This is a very fine artist. His voice is pleasant to listen to. He reminds me a bit of Dean Martin. Not that he sounds like Dean, but the songs are just very enjoyable. For me, this is something to listen to when I just want to relax and let my mind drift around in the music.

Ghost in the Dark (Galactic Axia Ghost Book 1)
Ghost in the Dark (Galactic Axia Ghost Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars nice, but for younger readers., July 10, 2014
I enjoyed reading the book. It is a nice story. But it does seem to be written more for a younger audience, way younger than me. I'm 61. The theme of the book is very simple. There are no twists or surprises. It is pleasant and relaxing. No real need to "tense up" worrying about "bad" things happening. I would not like a steady diet of this type of story. But when I'm in the mood for such, I can still enjoy them. It really seems more oriented towards a pre-teen audience which likes sci-fi, and who has parents who don't want to worry about "adult" themes in their kids books.

Soft and Cozy Amadora Microplush Twin Blanket (Turquoise;Blue)
Soft and Cozy Amadora Microplush Twin Blanket (Turquoise;Blue)
Offered by Amadora Design Concepts
Price: $29.00
2 used & new from $29.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm and soft!, July 1, 2014
I really like this blanket. It is the softest thing I've ever owned. And it is warm, but not overly hot. Best of all, it is light. I have a wonderful pure wool blanket .But it is _heavy_ and overly hot on not-so-cold days. This new blanket is warm, but not as warm. And it seems to be almost weightless. I am very pleased.

Adapt and Overcome (The Maxwell Saga)
Adapt and Overcome (The Maxwell Saga)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars waiting impatiently for #4!, June 18, 2014
The story is moving along quite well. The writing remains very readable and enjoyable. But now I must wait for the next in the series. Despite being 61, I still haven't learned to have patience.

Take The Star Road (The Maxwell Saga)
Take The Star Road (The Maxwell Saga)

5.0 out of 5 stars an enjoyable read, June 17, 2014
Steve Maxwell is a bit larger than life, at least to me. But I like that in my reading. If I wanted "real life", I'd watch the news. Also, although this is labelled Science Fiction, is is not heavy into science. The characters could easily be fit into the sailing navy back in, say, the 1800s. But I found the story to be interesting. It is a bit of a "coming of age" story. Some might consider it to be old fashioned because of the lack of "real life" language (a.k.a. profanity) and lack of sexual content. As another reviewer, this likely means that it is targeted to a younger audience. Or, like myself, a much older, more "sedate" <grin>, audience. I have already gotten the second book in the series and hope that it continues in a similar manner.

The Wrong Side of Space (TCOTU, Book 3) (This Corner of the Universe)
The Wrong Side of Space (TCOTU, Book 3) (This Corner of the Universe)

5.0 out of 5 stars nice read. Different, June 17, 2014
This is the 3rd book in the series. Like the first two, it continues a single story. And that story is not complete. I eagerly await the next episode (for us old people, it's almost like those old movie serials like "King of the Rocket Men"). Britt's writing style remains very personal and detail oriented. Not only is there a good "bit picture", but he zooms in on details that I find fascinating. I know of and like many authors, but few seem to explain space warfare like Britt does. He really drives in the strangeness of doing long range fighting in an Einsteinan envelope. Where your target is 10 light seconds away (186,000,00 miles) and you're seen where it was 10 seconds ago. Hard to really aim even a light speed weapoin at something when you only know where it was 10 seconds ago. And your shot will only arrive at the target in 10 more seconds. Since the target, in the stories, are usually running at or above .1c (18,600 miles / second), they can travel 186,000 miles from the time of the shot, or 372,000 miles from where you last saw it. And .1c is the low end of the range. Makes me wonder how true space warfare would work. And explains why high speed, "intelligent" self-directed missiles are a necessity.

Mike's War: Sequel to Jesse's Starship
Mike's War: Sequel to Jesse's Starship
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars another good read, June 5, 2014
I like all of the books that I've read by Saxon. My sci-fi habit goes back to the days of E. E. "Doc" Smith. Saxon Andrew's works remind me of his. They are rousing space opera which is larger than life. And in today's world, that can be refreshing. Tackling and conquering problems that span the universe.

On The Imperium's Secret Service (Imperium Cicernus Book 1)
On The Imperium's Secret Service (Imperium Cicernus Book 1)
Price: $3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars nice read., June 4, 2014
I will admit that I got the book mainly because of the title's similarity to the Bond movie "On Her Majesty's Secret Service". But I'm glad that I did. I liked the plot and the characters. It is a good sci-fi spy type novel. Fritz is the Bond-like character and is quite charming. The two ladies are also smart and likable. I do hope that the author, and perhaps even other authors (as suggested by Mr. Nuttall) will write more books in this "universe". Perhaps featuring Fritz, but perhaps a different person in the Imperium reflecting some other area than Imperial Intelligence. Who knows? Not me.

Morgan's Choice (Morgan Selwood)
Morgan's Choice (Morgan Selwood)
Price: $4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good & Bad, by my standards., May 21, 2014
I like the premise of the book. But I guess you might say that I'm "unfortunate" in that I'm a bit of a prude. And Morgan's carpet f-bombing, in conjunction with the explicit "touch by touch" sexual encounter with the Admiral just pushed me out of the book. Others who are not as "sensitive" to this sort of thing will probably like it. Well, not all heroic women can be Ell Donsai or Heris Serrano.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7